PDA

View Full Version : The Bastions of Broken Souls

Hyperion
2011-04-15, 10:35 AM
Our heroes are on the road. You have been working together for awhile and have accomplished feats that most adventurers could ever hope of achieving. With a combination of luck, skills and beliefs in yourself, you have taken down liches, evil dragons, fiends and other vile creatures trying to take over the world.

Recently, there have been disturbing news, the new born everywhere for every races are born with a strange sickness. No one can find the cause of such an illness. You included, you have come to the village of Springwillow and stays at the inn for the night.

In the middle of the tavern, the resting dragon, you are discussing your plans to find out more about the matter.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-15, 11:23 AM
Peacekeeper manages to lumber over the group, even when sitting down. The creature's spiked, segmented fingers open and shut around a mug of ale, nearly crushing the cup in the process. It raises the mug to its faceplate, splashing the beverage against its cold metal. The ale drips down the mighty construct's chest, and the machine man doesn't notice a thing.

"Delicious grog," it intones, trying its best to act human, "but it cannot take Peacekeeper's mind off of the illness upon the little softies. What can be done to correct this?"

Keld Denar
2011-04-15, 11:37 AM
Kam

Kam surveys the taproom for invisible foes lurking, as well as magical auras. Assuming none are found, he takes a seat with his back to a wall, running his hand idly over the pommel of a jeweled dagger sheathed there.

Toliudar
2011-04-15, 12:49 PM
Ixtabe sits on the edge of the table, not much larger than Peacemaker's mug. Her left foot flexes and contracts, flexes and contracts, as she thinks about the problem. Her dress oscillates between purple and green for a moment.

"We've been looking all over for an earthly cause, but perhaps the malaise is spiritual. In the morning, we could visit other worlds, to see if the problem exists there as well."

GFawkes
2011-04-15, 01:38 PM
Kira rests against the wall, her Celestial Wings folded across her back.
"While the disease may have planar origins, we should focus on our own first. Something tells me that magic is used as the delivery system, but that it does not linger for long."

Killerloop
2011-04-15, 06:06 PM
"I am pretty sure it is something spiritual" said Arthur, sitting at the table with a worried look on his face "The women who give birth are healthy, yet the children are born sick. It is a malaise of the newborn souls or something very weird which lays dormant into the body of people."

Hyperion
2011-04-15, 08:47 PM
Our adventurers are still wondering what to do about the situation when suddenly there is a commotion outside. More like screams, some people are running all over the place. A man rushes into the tavern.

"There is a monster outside...!!!"Before he is even done talking a barbed chain wraps around the man. It pulls him right outside as a trail of blood is the only thing that follows.

Panic in the bar ensues, as this village is just a peaceful village. It isn't hard to tell that the village guards wouldn't be up to the task if any kind of monster come around.

Toliudar
2011-04-15, 10:05 PM
Ixtabe closes her eyes for an instant, then opens them wide. Her voice, like the rustle of leaves, slipped into her companions' thoughts as she scrambled to her feet on the table.

"That's a fiend outside, big and smart."

OMG PONIES
2011-04-16, 06:44 AM
The hulking construct stands from the table and makes a show of wiping the ale from its chin, but all the act does is fill the room with the grating sound of metal on metal.

"Do not fear, citizens. Peacekeeper is here to protect you."

I'm confused, was chaining the dude the fiend's initiative, or was that the surprise round?

Hyperion
2011-04-16, 08:40 AM
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/470/cathezartavern001.jpg

A nine-foot-tall fiend rushes into the tavern. The creature appears as a giant snake with green, scaly coils from the waist down, and as a chain-shrouded female humanoid above the waist. She has six arms, all of which wield hellishly animate loops of barbed chain. Cruelly barbed chains also serve her as armor and clothing.

The fiend doesn't wait any moment and proceeds to have her six chains reach for Ixtabe in the middle of the table, the fiend doesn't seem to be concerned by the others around her. She founds her quarry.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Attacking the fiend I will need a miss chance roll (including targeted spells).

Those who attacks the fiend at melee range, will need a fort save for strength ability damage, if you are immune to ability damage disregard that save.

Also I'll need a spot checks.

Toliudar
2011-04-16, 09:39 AM
Ixtabe lets out a high-pitched shriek of agony as the chains rip into her. Almost immediately, she casts a spell and vanishes. A massive stony elemental appears in the front doorway, blocking it, and it attacks the snake-chain-demon. Ixtabe's mental voice comes to her colleagues.

"I'm all right. She can't teleport away."

Actions:
Standard action: cast Time Stop defensively (should be an auto-success, but in case there's something I don't know about going on: [roll0]
Move action: move into the front doorway.

Time Stop, round 1:
Standard action: cast Dimension Lock, centred on the square where the fiend is.
Move action: Take a good look around outside. Spot: [roll1], and mindsight still active. If there are additional potential enemies outside, consider my action paused here pending further information.

Otherwise:

Time Stop, round 2:
Cast Summon Monster VII to bring in a huge earth elemental, standing outside the doorway and preventing the fiend from exiting.

Time Stop, round 3:
elemental appears. Standard action: cast heal on herself.
Move action find a bush outside that has line of sight to the fiend inside, and hide behind it. Hide: [roll2]. With darkstalker, she cannot be found using scent, blindsight, tremorsense or scent.

Time stop ends. Elemental attacks the fiend with two slams:
Attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]
Attack: [roll5] Damage: [roll6]

OMG PONIES
2011-04-16, 09:51 AM
Peacekeeper turns to face the creature and speaks. "Attention, citizen. Your action meets the criteria of evil and, as such, must be stopped." The construct then begins repeatedly bashing the monster with its mace, while shouting, "Fall back!" to its foes.

ACTIONS:

Attack 1: 27 vs AC, 69% miss chance for 10 damage and 6 fire damage
Attack 2: 20 vs AC, 21% miss chance for 11 damage and 4 fire damage
Attack 3: 20 vs AC, 11% miss chance for 11 damage and 5 fire damage
Attack 4: 15 vs AC, 11% miss chance for 10 damage and 1 fire damage

ROLLS:
[roll0] I forgot full Stone Power, so the attack is 27.
[roll1]
[roll2] 6 of this is fire damage.
[roll3] I forgot full Stone Power, so the attack is 20.
[roll4]
[roll5] 4 of this is fire damage.
[roll6] I forgot full Stone Power so the attack is 20.
[roll7]
[roll8] 5 of this is fire damage.
[roll9] I forgot full Stone Power so the attack is 15.
[roll10]
[roll11] 1 of this is fire damage.

-5 to attack rolls gives Peacekeeper 10 temporary HP until the start of its next turn. Peacekeeper has no need to make a FORT save, since it's immune to STR damage.

If the creature's miss chance is from being incorporeal, Peacekeeper can ignore that thanks to its Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting. Also, if that's the case, its attacks each deal an extra 1d6 damage.

If one of Peacekeeper's attacks hits and the fiend attacks one of my allies on its next turn, I'll use an immediate action to activate the Take One for the Team function of my Faith Unswerving feat.

[roll12] if this is higher than the creature's attack, it hits me instead. I don't know if my 20% miss chance still gives me a chance to negate the attack entirely--that's a DM call.

Hyperion
2011-04-16, 09:59 AM
The Huge earth elemental slams against the fiend with his powerful fists, but doesn't even manage to go through the chains serving as armor for the fiend.

Peacekeeper charges and attempt to hit the fiend as well, but can't get past the chains of the fiend on his first assault, the rest of his attacks goes through the fiend as it is blinking in and out between the attacks.

OOC:

Yeah no enemies outside.

GFawkes
2011-04-16, 01:15 PM
A glow appears in Kira's eyes as she stares at the monster. Muttering a few Sylvan words and moving her hands in a complex manner, she releases energy towards the demon/devil.

MOVE ACTION:

Five foot step upwards (towards the bar)

STANDARD ACTION:

Using charm monster on the enemy. It needs to beat a DC 28 Will save to resist, and it gets +5 because we're attacking it. Charm monster is a Charm (Mind-Affecting) Spell, so it gets any bonuses that apply there. If it has Spell Resistance, here's my roll:
[roll0]

Miss chance:
[roll1]

Notes:

This thing has a -2 to AC and Saves. Yay Aura of Menace!:smallbiggrin:

Killerloop
2011-04-16, 02:42 PM
Arthur raises in a hurry "What the heck..."

He ragains his senses immediately though and snarls at the fiend while channeling divine energy to his holy symbol: "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust!! DIE HELLSPAWN! Pelor commands it!"

Free Action: Divine Spell power Turning check: [roll0]
Standard action: Casting Destruction at the opponent, DC is 27

Check to penetrate SR: [roll1] +4 from Greater Spell Penetration + 22 from Caster level = 45

Destruction damage (if save succeds) [roll2]

Hyperion
2011-04-17, 02:59 AM
Kira attempts to cast a spell at the fiend, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the creature at all.

Arthur attempts to destroy the creature by his holy light but the fiend doesn't burn evaporates under the power of destruction. The spell seems to attack the fiend but she doesn't appear too bothered by it.

Miss chance
[roll0]
fort save
[roll1]

Keld Denar
2011-04-17, 08:05 PM
Kam

Kam tumbles back from the table toward the fireplace in the corner. Touching his circlet quickly, Kam fills the area under the demon with thick slippery Grease before releasing one of the many knives that float around his body. Incanting again, Vist releases a crackling bolt of electricity from his fingertips.

Grease spell, DC 21 or fall prone. The real joy of it, however, is that if the creature doesn't have at least 5 ACTUAL ranks in Balance, it is considered Balancing and thus loses it's Dex bonus to AC and is a valid target for sneak attack!

Cloud of Knives attack roll
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Stun Ray DC 29 or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds, success means only 1 round of stun.
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Sorry about the delay!

Hyperion
2011-04-17, 09:30 PM
The fiend doesn't have trouble standing up and is surprised that the attack of the tiefling actually manages to get through her armor, by finding the good spot to hit. Yet the fiend is looking around for Ixtabe and appears to be frustrated.

She turns around and decides to take care of the imminent threats, the one with the knives is the only one who managed to actually hurt her. She can't reach for the moment and ends up being stunned by the ray hitting her.

"I finally caught up to you fiend!" One of the guy who is sitting on one of the table and just wearing a white shirt with a short sword leaps from his table and manage to stab through her defenses, as he tumble and move with an incredible grace and swiftness and attacks her. The man has long dark hair and a charming look.

The fiend lady is stunned from the ray and can't even react to the attack of the newcomer.

edit: ignore those rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

GFawkes
2011-04-17, 10:34 PM
Gathering her energy, Kira lets loose a blast of divine energy at the fiend, barely noticing the new man in the fight.

MOVE ACTION:
None

STANDARD ACTION:

Holy Blast (Deals an extra 1 damage/die to evil outsiders, applies dimensional anchor

Ranged Touch Attack

To hit:
[roll0]

Confirm Critical (if needed):
[roll1]

Overcome Spell Resistance:
[roll2]

Damage:
[roll3]

Miss Chance:
[roll4]

Toliudar
2011-04-17, 10:47 PM
"Hmmm. Magic seems to be having trouble getting through to this fiend. Well, at the very least, I can try to make it easier for us to hit it."

A jolt of energy passes through all of the people in the inn.

The big earth elemental takes another shot at piercing the chains wrapped around the fiend.

Casting a Metamagic Silenced version of Haste, reaching everybody in the inn (except, of course, the chain-swinging snake-demon), the elemental and Ixtabe.

If needed, an additional hide check: [roll0]

I'm assuming that with the new guy also attacking, the fiend is flanked.
Slam attack 1: [roll1] Damage: [roll2]
Slam attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]
Slam attack 3: [roll5] Damage: [roll6]

Hyperion
2011-04-17, 11:00 PM
The holy blast from Kira hits the fiend and is burning her. It is quickly followed by the earth elemental slamming against the fiend yet the fist of earth can barely even bypass her chains and tough hide.

Keld Denar
2011-04-17, 11:55 PM
Kam

Vile fiend, when will our kind realize that evil can never triumph? There will always be heros to fight on the side of good!

Another of the plentiful knives surrounding Kam fly forth, followed shortly by massive orb composed entirely out of elemental frost and five massive spectral fists which rain down blows upon the chained demon.

Cloud of Knives attack
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
This damage is type [Magic] and [Piercing] and subject to DR. No SR.

Quickened Orb of Cold (DC 26 save vs Slow)
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
Crit Confirm from OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10803004&postcount=62)
TouchAttack - (1d20+16)[31] Dmg - (15d6)[48]
Total damage is: 147 [Cold]

All this damage is type [Cold]. No SR. Damage is irregardless of save.

Melf's Unicorn Arrows (PHBII 119)
[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]
[roll9] [roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13] [roll14]
[roll15] [roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19] [roll20]
All this damage is type [Force]. No SR. If one hits, the baddie needs to make a Bullrush check vs DC21 or be pushed back 5' away from Kam. Each additional hit increases the DC by 2 points. If the baddie fails by more than 5 points, its pushed back 5 additional feet for each multiple of 5 it fails by. THIS MOVEMENT PROVOKES.

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 12:16 AM
Kam rain down a knives, followed by orbs and arrows. Most of the knives hit the fiend and then the orbs of cold, while they do land don't seem to affect the demon lady at all. The arrows most of them pierce through her armor and hit her hide, as the fiend falls unconscious on the ground.

The dastardly newcomer is smiling at the turn of events.

Bullrush check [roll0]
Save for orb of cold:
[roll1]

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 01:04 AM
Following Ixtabe's mental instructions, the elemental reaches through the doorway and begins systematically tossing the chains and any other gewgaws on her well away from the demon.

Ixtabe stays put for the time being, but her mental voice reaches her colleagues.

"We need to act quickly. A lot of these demon-folk regenerate quickly, but I want to make sure we gather any clues as to her origin or mission, in case she disappears when she dies."

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 01:14 AM
The newcomer is smiling and looks down at the creature then at the party.

"The Cathezar is an agent of a demon lord of the Abyss called Aameul. What have you done to anger a demon lord?"

OOC tossed aside are the followings:

A cloak
A ring
A crystal ball
A helm
3 Potions
Bracers
and the strangest of all a red crystal in the shape of a teardrop on a platinum chain.

Killerloop
2011-04-18, 02:40 AM
Arthur looks annoyed by the fact that the demon resisted his deadly spell and readies his falchion to charge. Too bad the enemy is swiftly disposed by his comrades and he gets no chance to strike again.

"Well, we have done many things that could anger a Demon Lord... I'm more interested in WHO you are mister. Brave enough to take an assassin demon face to face and seasoned enough to know WHAT actually that was. Please answer" said the cleric with a puzzled look.

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 07:49 AM
"I'm Nurn and have been trailing the Cathezar. My allegiance is with he who opposes the Cathezar and her devious liege, but I'm honor-bound never to reveal my master's true identity, though he goes by the name of Hethradiah when dealing with such as me. So you may name him also."
Nurn waits patiently knowing that people have possibly other questions for him.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-18, 08:01 AM
Peacekeeper takes a moment to slam his mace against the evil creature's skull repeatedly, ensuring its demise before standing and extending one of its metal arms to Nurn. "Hello, citizen," it intones with all the cheer a construct can muster, "are you evil?"

Full attack on the unconscious fiend:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 08:14 AM
The elemental steps away from the door, in case people want to enter or leave the establishment.

Ixtabe's mental voice, showing obvious relief, registers with her companions and the mysterious stranger.

"Please understand, Nurn, that we are indeed grateful for your assistance, and for this insight into the creature and her master. Doubly impressive, because you seemed not to be following her, but actually a step ahead, since you were already here when she attacked. Which means that you knew that she was going to attack here. I don't suppose you'd care to share how you knew that?"

There is the VERY soft sound of a book being opened.

Coup de grace to finish off the Cathezar. With power attack, that's about 4d10+40.

If the demon is "a" Cathezar, that suggests that there's more than one. I'll note the previous knowledge check of 47 to learn more about them.

Knowledge (the planes, I'm guessing) for Hethradiah: [roll0]
Knowledge (the planes) for Aameul: [roll1]

Since I'd noted previously that Ixtabe was mentally monitoring for anyone with exceptional intelligence, or anyone who isn't humanoid or animal, I'm assuming that our benefactor registers as humanoid on mindsight?

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 08:44 AM
"
Yes I'm evil and I hope that despite our differences we can temporary work together for a common cause. I can actually see events before they happen. I know this sounds weird. I have psionic abilities. Obviously, Aameul will not stop here and I would like to accompany you on your journey and share my findings with you." Nurn talks straight and looks at the group of adventurers.

He registers as human. Your knowledge can't seem to get any answers on either of those names. You suspect it might just be very obscure aliases or possibly using some magic to determine it. As for the Cathezar, You only vaguely remember a demon named Cathezar being at the head of a group of demon infiltrators.

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 08:58 AM
Ixtabe is both intrigued and put on her guard by Nurn's admission, and draws on her own senses to confirm this. Knowing from long experience Peacekeeper's rather straightforward understanding of such distinctions, she first sends a private mental message to the mighty warrior.

"Peacekeeper, wait! Although this Nurn may be Evil, he isn't actively ACTING Evil. Not hurting anyone who isn't Evil, right? So perhaps you can wait for a few minutes before you, um, keep the peace."

She then sends to all of her colleagues and Nurn.

"Interesting. I appreciate your frankness, Nurn, and will endeavour to be frank in return. I understand if you are using some kind of code name for your employer. However, there is no reason to extend the same courtesy to your adversary. If you are concerned about speaking the demon lord's actual name out loud, then you merely need to think it, and I'll transfer the information to the others."

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 09:08 AM
"The oath of Hethradiah does not allow me to speak of such things but in my surveillance of The Cathezar I have learned-that for purposes unknown to me-she seeks always after a descendant of Dydd. Apparently she believes one of you to be that descendant."

Nurn speaks with a certain air of mystery, while being as truthful as he possibly can. He either take his work ethic very seriously or is a very sly individual.

GFawkes
2011-04-18, 10:18 AM
Kira mutters a quick phrase in Celestial over the demon's body, then turns to the items*.

"I've walked along the darker side of existence before, Nurn. While we may accept your help, you must understand our suspicion. Can you tell us anything about this 'Dydd'?"

Using detect magic on all the items.

Rolling Sense Motive on Nurn:
[roll0]

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 10:44 AM
"I don't know much about Dydd. I had hoped some of you could tell me more about him actually."

As far as you can tell Nurn is being truthful.

for the detect magic:
On the cloak faint abjuration
On the ring moderate transmutation
On the crystal ball moderate divination
On the potions faint aura of conjuration
On the pendant strong aura of magic
On the bracers moderate aura of conjuration

For dydd, going to need either knowledge (History) or Knowledge (local), of course feels free to use other sources at your disposal, divination etc...

OMG PONIES
2011-04-18, 10:44 AM
Peacekeeper furrows its brow (as much as one can "furrow" a metal plate), and raises a hand to its head, attempting the scratching motion it often sees in confused humans. After a moment, it speaks bluntly to Nurn.

"Most puzzling. While you have identified yourself as evil (setting A=A), you have also come to our defense in stopping an evil creature (setting A=-A). This provides for two distinct logical possibilities: either one of your statements was false or A=0, leaving you without morality--possibly without a soul. Either way, Mister Nurn, Peacekeeper shall be watching you."

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 12:05 PM
Finally judging it safe to do so, Ixtabe slides out from behind the bush and bows cautiously to Nurn with a small smile.

"Good day. I am called Ixtabe. Clearly, there are many threads to be untangled in this matter. I will wait to see if the demon herself can tell us more of her purpose. Start thinking about questions you'd like to ask, folks."

Settling to sit just outside of the pool of blood surrounding the demon, Ixtabe begins a slow, careful chanting.

Using Detect Evil SLA to confirm Nurn's claim, then doing a quick scan of the area for the same.

Ixtabe is starting to cast Speak With Dead on the corpse. No SR, Will DC 25. Hopefully, with no spells or magic items active, the body will be less resistant to her magic. A 10 minute casting time, though, so feel free to keep chatting.

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 12:12 PM
"In my line of work, it's hard not to fight evil creatures among other things. Nice to meet you Ixtabe."

The aura of Nurn doesn't show anything but he is probably under some kind of protection which is not unheard of evil creatures who didn't want to get noticed.

The demonlady eyes light up, as she seems to get some kind of a semblance of life.

so cl 20 right? 10 questions, let's do this.

Killerloop
2011-04-18, 12:34 PM
Arthur looks intently at the newcomer.

"While I'm not going to judge you on a single affermation of allegiance I must warn you that some, if not all, components of this group shun and hate evildoers. If you are going to travel with us you will have to refrain from such acts... do you think you can do this?"

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 12:40 PM
"Of course, as long as we are working toward the same goal, I will not do any act that would displease your morality. Aameul believes he has discovered a way to double his power. I and Hethradiah would rather Aameul not gain this power, but we are not sure of the route of this supposed ascendance."

OMG PONIES
2011-04-18, 12:45 PM
Peacekeeper still looks unimpressed. "Does this concern the illness that has befallen newborns? Peacekeeper desires to help the little softies."

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 12:49 PM
"It might be sir Peacekeeper. Another name I have uncovered is 'Bastion of Unborn souls'. The Cathezar has been heard to mutter this, in conjunction with her desire to find a living descendant of Dydd, so that the 'wyrm might be tamed.' More than this I do not know."

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 12:52 PM
Kam

Stepping forward, ring of blades whirling as fast as ever, Kam finally speaks, his forked tongue flashing behind sharp teeth.

Let us cut to the chase, we obviously don't have all day to exchange pleasantries. What is it you or your master wish us to do? I do not like to mince words when lives are on the line as they most certainly are. Is it possible for us to have an audience with your master?

OOC: Edited

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 02:03 PM
Not wishing to interrupt the flow of conversation above her, Ixtabe murmurs softly to the massive demon head nearby.

"What is the name your master most commonly uses for themselves?"

And then, if things go well with that, she follows up with: "Where is the Bastion of Unborn Souls?"

Yes, ten questions. If you don't mind, Hyperion, we'll tackle a couple of questions at a time, both to give me a chance to respond to unexpected answers and to give others a chance to chime in with suggestions for questions to ask.

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 02:25 PM
"The bastion of unborn souls reside somewhere in the multiverse."

The demon lady seems to ignore the first question.

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 03:00 PM
Ixtabe initially focuses further on her second question.

"On what plane does the Bastion of Unborn Souls reside?"

"What is the name of the Wyrm that you seek to tame?"

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 04:12 PM
The demon lady doesn't answer the third question as well but proceed with the fourth inquiry.

"Ashardarlon is the name of the wyrm."

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 04:17 PM
Looping around again towards her initial interest, Ixtabe asks another pair of questions:

"What is the most common name used for your master?"

and

"Who does the man who calls himself Nurn truly serve?"

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 04:19 PM
The Cathezar doesn't answer to the questions. Apparently determined to not give away that information.

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 04:24 PM
And fair enough.

Having breezed through six of her ten questions quickly, Ixtabe glances up at her companions and sends a mental inquiry.

"I have four questions left. Her body remains strong-willed, even in death. Anything that you especially want me to ask?"

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 04:33 PM
Kam

Ask her about her kind. Are there more like her? Does she have any special weaknesses?

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 05:07 PM
Ixtabe nods, and turns back to the demon head.

"Are there other Cathezar like you? Do you have any particular weaknesses?"

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 05:09 PM
The cathezar doesn't answer one of the question but speak for the other ones.
"Blessed and good magic."

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 05:20 PM
Kam

Well yea...like all evil outsiders...ask a stupid demon, get a stupid answer.

Killerloop
2011-04-18, 05:53 PM
Arthur

"Please ask her where can we found her master, or this wyrm she was looking for"

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 06:50 PM
Ixtabe nodded. Remembering the demon's evasion of her second question, she asked:

"On what plane of existence does your master reside?"

and

"Does the wyrm Ashardarlon reside on this world?"

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 07:58 PM
The Cathezar again refuses to answer anymore questions, as the semblance of life finally leave its body. Nurn is observing the Cathezar and simply crosses his arm. Simply avoiding the obvious questions that would arise about his liege.

"So where should we go now?"

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 08:01 PM
Kam

You are the hunter. What would you do?

Hyperion
2011-04-18, 08:04 PM
"I would look into gathering more information. Main objective is to find the bastion and why Aamul needs a descendant of Dydd so bad? What is the connection with Ashadarlon? Why do they need to tame the dragon in the first place?"

Toliudar
2011-04-18, 08:14 PM
Ixtabe remains seated on the floor for a moment, then picks up the gold nugget she wears around her neck and chants a short spell. The massive body of the demon is abruptly converted into a stream of energy that swirls into the nugget. There is a moment of frowning at the rather nasty bloodstain on the floor before she takes a deep breath and puts back on a happy smile.

"If nothing else, she'll make a heck of a paperweight. Sorry. I sort of lost track of the conversation while I was doing that. How are you coming with identifying what she was carrying, Kam? If there are any particularly vile magics she was carrying, it might be better to destroy them right away than to cart them around with us. And she was a demon."

Pulling out a set of very small books, she flips through several as she casts additional spells. After a couple of minutes, she closes the books and returns them to her even smaller pack. Switching to her mental voice, she speaks with her colleagues - and, grudgingly, Nurn.

"This might be our first real break in our investigations of the babies. It seems that the Bastion is a possibly-mythical place where the soul-energies form before being placed into a living creature. Unfortunately, even the great scholar Wicca Petya doesn't have any clues as to where it might be found. Ashardalon was a great red dragon who, in ancient times, ruled a kingdom and was worshipped as a god. He vanished, and was believed dead. And Dydd was a powerful druid who was, allegedly, one of an order of druids who helped Ashardalon become dead."

GFawkes
2011-04-18, 09:19 PM
Then it seems like we need either a druid or a church of Nerull or Wee Jas. The druids would most likely know about Dydd and Ashardalon, while both chuches serves rulers of death. It seems natural that they'd know where the souls of life come from." Kira suggests, using a mixture of Hellrime and Brimstone blasts to clear away the blood on the floor.

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 10:16 PM
Kam

My ranger friend Rhaye is friendly with some Druids. Might be worthwhile to get back in touch with her. She makes a MEAN pot of crawfish gumbo so spicy you almost need a spell to protect you from the heat in your mouth. I haven't seen her in a while, so I might be about due for a visit.

She helped me slay a dragon herself, a great green named Inzeldrin. She mentioned having learned dragonslaying from an old druid. She might still know how to contact him. He might even be part of the circle that faught with Ashadarlon in days past.

Kam pulls a Monacle out of his pack. Squinting through it, he carefully examines each of the items that the party indicated radiated magic. That completed, he turns to Nurn. Do you have other business to attend to? Should we meet back up with you? Or will you be accompanying us? I have more than enough power to bring you along with a Teleport spell.

Killerloop
2011-04-19, 01:31 AM
Arthur

"Now that I think of it I've heard about a Bastion of Souls many years ago when I had to deal with some agents of a cult called The Guild of Sleep. Esoteric spellcasters who use drugs and the dreamworld to communicate with the multiverse."

"Unfortunately I have no clue if they still exist or where they are now"

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 01:19 PM
Ixtabe rises.

"That might be enough, Arthur. You remember how we found that illithid enclave back in Adria? We can try the same thing here."

Raising her arms, Ixtabe completes a long, sonorous chant while turning around twice.

Casting Find the Path to locate "The Main Headquarters of the Guild of Sleep."

Hyperion
2011-04-20, 02:21 PM
"I only have time for the mission. I have nothing else to do meanwhile." Nurn replied to Kam concern.

The guild of sleep is on a top of a mountain right next to the small village of Hemrod. Which is located 2300 miles north from you.

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 02:29 PM
Ixtabe nods, and steps over to her companions. She takes out a few gold coins and leaves them on a chair, to pay for the disruption to the tavern's business.

"Kam, can you take us to the top of Mount [FILLINTHEBLANK], near the village of Hemrod?"

OMG PONIES
2011-04-20, 03:46 PM
Peacekeeper blinks as it calculates the distance with ease. ”At a run, the summit can be reached in only 168.6 repeating hours. Shall Peacekeeper set out now? Or do you softies require sleep, magic, and waste evacuation stops?”

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 03:52 PM
Ixtabe holds up a hand to Peacekeeper, requesting - as she has done a hundred times - the privilege of resting on the big construct's shoulder.

"My friend, while it might be enjoyable to run with you for 168 point six hours, we are facing a matter of some urgency. You remember how Kam can bounce us from place to place? Why don't we do that instead?"

OMG PONIES
2011-04-20, 03:58 PM
Peacekeeper nods, scooping Ixtabe up and placing her on its shoulder with far more delicacy than one would presume the behemoth could muster.

"168.7 if speaking approximately," it cheerily says to her, reflecting its annoying penchant for mathematical precision."But very well. Peacekeeper will simply have to recalibrate navigational bearings upon arrival."

The construct spends a silent moment in careful though before asking: "Does anyone else find teleportation to be dizzying?"

GFawkes
2011-04-20, 04:16 PM
"Not really. Though that may just be because I'm used to it." Kira responds to Peacebringer.

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 04:19 PM
The little gnome grimaces at a memory.

"After a three-day stint in Limbo, nothing else seems vertiginous."

She pauses, furrowing her brow and looking over at Peacekeeper's head.

"So...if you get dizzy, do you get nauseated too? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen you, you know -"

Ixtabe mimes the blowing of something out of mouth.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-20, 04:24 PM
Peacekeeper looks generally confused. "What does it mean to be nauseated? Is it something Peacekeeper can learn to do, like drinking? Peacekeeper enjoys that very much, especially the splash." Faint beads of ale still drip from the warforged's face.

Keld Denar
2011-04-20, 04:28 PM
Kam

So, do we go to the guild? Or do we go visit the druids? I only have 1 teleport spell prepped today.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-20, 04:29 PM
Peacekeeper speaks up quickly, nearly shouting. "The guild!" It looks around sheepishly and adds, "Druids never seem to get along with warforged."

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 04:37 PM
Ixtabe nods.

"I'd start us with the guild, while my spell is still running, to get us there relatively safely. I can teleport us down off of the mountain when we're done."

Keld Denar
2011-04-20, 04:59 PM
Kam

If nobody has anything else they'd like to do here... Kam holds out both hands, closes his eyes, focusing inward, reaching out to the magic, concentrating on the mental image Ixxy projected into his mind.

Now would be a good time to grab on...

Killerloop
2011-04-20, 05:02 PM
Arthur

"And in case of any emergency I can plane shift us to safety... as long as this kind of travel isn't barred of course" smiled the cleric

"Shall we go now? Whom hand should I hold?"

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 05:24 PM
Ixtabe takes a firm grip on Peacekeeper's gorget.

"Ready when you are."

GFawkes
2011-04-20, 06:20 PM
Kira grasps Arthur and Kam, completing the loop. "Let's move out."

Keld Denar
2011-04-20, 07:25 PM
Kam

Chanting softly, Kam casts Greater Teleport to the villiage of Hemrod.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-20, 09:19 PM
Moments before the spell is cast, Peacekeeper nudges into the circle between Kira and Arthur, its shoulder spikes nearly scratching Kira's ear. "Don't forget Peacekeeper and Little Ix!" the construct says with an almost human degree of sadness in its voice.

Hyperion
2011-04-20, 09:24 PM
The adventurers pop in the middle of Hemrod, the village used to be full of laughers but around here, most of the villagers are too preoccupied with the fates of their newborns. Even the kids don't seem to find heart in playing around but are amused by the sudden appearance of the heroes in the middle of the village. Probably the first time, they have seen people teleport.

"They came out of nowhere Ma'!"

The path to the guild of sleep appears clearly from the center of the village to the mountaintop. It wouldn't take them too long.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-20, 09:34 PM
Peacekeeper reaches a massive arm into the bag of holding on the shoulder opposite Ixtabe, and pulls out some crude toys for the children of the village. Whittled carriages with moving wheels, cloth dolls with flaxen hair, and various other trinkets fill its monstrous hand. The construct crouches down to the children's level and attempts to smile.

"Peacekeeper made these toys for you, little softies," it booms as its adamantine plating shines in the sun.

All of you are familiar with Peacekeeper's toymaking, and you have all seen the being hard at work each night as you drift off to sleep.

Hyperion
2011-04-20, 09:45 PM
The children hesitate a bit then one of the smallest wanting to show off how his bravery step forward. He looks at the toys, pick it up.
"Th--Thank you Sir! HEY LOOK GUYS I HAVE THE Knight!"
"No fair! I want one too!"

The children quickly rushes and starts picking out the toys from peacekeeper hand and before any notices, they are off playing in the middle of the village.

One of the kid dreaming of fantastic voyage and adventures narrate his tale.
"Obviously that's when my knight swoop down from the sky and slay the evil magician!"
"No Way! The evil magician would have seen it coming with magic and stuffs!"
"Don't be ridiculous everybody knows the knight is the strongest!"

Now there is still the question of reaching the guild of sleep.

Keld Denar
2011-04-20, 10:13 PM
Kam

Smiling to himself, Kam thinks to himself about "evil" magicians and the disappointment that the boy playing with the knight will undoubtedly face when he grows up.

Should we gather some information here?

GFawkes
2011-04-20, 10:13 PM
Kira appears lost in watching the children, remembering a childhood she never had. She snaps out of it within a few seconds. "Ix, is your spell still working?"

Toliudar
2011-04-20, 10:38 PM
Ixtabe nods, still smiling at the children's play. It was important - more important than she could say - that they find a way to make sure that there would once again be children like these. Ixtabe relaxes her grip on Peacekeeper's gorget a bit.

"Yes, indeed. our path leads straight up the mountain. Fancy a walk?"

Killerloop
2011-04-21, 03:58 AM
Arthur smiles broadly

"Not softies! Children... plural form of child. C-h-i-l-d. I know you can spell 'citizen' so 'child' or 'children' shouldn't be that hard"

"The mountain you say? Ok let's go"

OMG PONIES
2011-04-21, 06:49 AM
Peacekeeper laughs and tussles Arthur's hair with a mighty hand. "All unforged are softies to Peacekeeper. Some are big and some are little, but all are soft. Is this false?"

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 08:46 AM
The path leading to the guild of sleep is rather quiet. Nurn on the way keep looking left and right, making sure that they don't get jumped on by surprise or something. The adventurers come right next to a three-story brick mansion.

Tranquil sounds and soothing aromas drift through the building’s open oaken doors. The doors are relief carved with all manner of fanciful beasts,feasts, and beautiful vistas.

Toliudar
2011-04-21, 09:09 AM
On the climb up the mountain, Ixtabe giggles at Peacekeeper's question.

"Soft is a relative term, I guess. Something is soft only in contrast to something else. I've met some pretty hard people in my day."

As they reached the doors to the dreamers' home, Ixtabe smiles at Kira.

"You're clear on what we need, then?"

Confirming that the spell is leading us through these doors. Also, is Ixtabe sensing any minds on the other side of the doors? How many, and what creature types?

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 09:22 AM
The path is indeed leading you to those doors. No mind on the otherside of the door, most likely the members are further in.

Killerloop
2011-04-21, 09:27 AM
Arthur

"Just a moment, I may be paranoid... but I prefer to be prepared for anything" says the cleric as he begins to cast various spells.

Arthur casts True Seeing, Undetectable Alignment and Freedom of Movement on himself

"Okay, let's move on"

GFawkes
2011-04-21, 10:38 AM
Kira closes her eyes for a second. When she opens them, they glow with a light power.

Using detect magic on the door.

Keld Denar
2011-04-21, 10:51 AM
Kam

Kam casts Light of Veyna on himself, holding up a hand to motion for the others to hold tight.

Silently and swiftly, he floats up in the air, attempting to gain a prespective on the size of the building they are approaching and looking for back enterances or other avenues of escape.

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 12:07 PM
The adventurers step inside.

This wide chamber is lit by the glow of dozens of candles set in alcoves on every wall and in the columns that support the 15-foot-high ceiling. The odor of jasmine rises from several scented tapers. Rushes and pillows are strewn over the granite flagstones, and similarly strewn are dozens of dozing and sleeping people of all ages and races. Small tables containing dozens of tiny vials of various shapes stand discreetly along the walls and near the columns. Three elves in deep blue robes sit in velvet chairs quietly talking.

@Kam:

It's just a mansion, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, many ways of escape jumping through windows and the likes.

Toliudar
2011-04-21, 04:59 PM
Ixtabe was delighted by the scents and sights of the mansion. She was also fascinated by the sang-froid of these mystics. She supposed that Arthur and Kira might be mistaken for someone remotely commonplace. But how often could it possibly be that a metal juggernaut, a tiny iridescent gnome and a man orbited by dozens of knives walk in unannounced.

People were fascinating.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-21, 08:40 PM
"This is the Guild of Sleep?" Peacekeeper booms, loudly enough to wake the dead.

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 08:56 PM
One of the elf turns around, and look at the newcomers while the other two don't seem too interested in finding out more about the situation. He walks toward peacekeeper. Nurn doesn't say anything and look at the sleeping commoners and then back at the party.

"Welcome to the guild of sleep please keep your voice low. Our customers are asleep. We offer cleansing dreams, dreams of peace, or dreams made to order. What do you fancy?”

The elf offers his service, thinking that they are new customers.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-21, 09:00 PM
Peacekeeper looks perplexed. "Can one dream without--" It realizes its own volume and adjusts accordingly. "Can one dream without sleeping?" It looks hopefully expectant; a dream would certainly be a new experience for the massive contract.

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 09:06 PM
The elf looks at peacekeeper.

"Ah I thought you were wearing an armor. No it's not possible, that's why me and my colleagues over there are watching over the sleepers and waking them up when the time's up. So if you didn't come here for sleeping, what bring you around here?"

Toliudar
2011-04-21, 09:33 PM
Still on Peacekeeper's shoulder, Ixtabe waves.

"Hi! We're looking into the universal wave of strange illnesses that beset newborns. There was a hint that it may be associated with the fabled Bastions of New Souls. Unfortunately, we've had difficulty in locating these bastions. There was some indication that you might have some inkling. I assure you that we are only seeking to alleviate the suffering of parents all over the world."

OMG PONIES
2011-04-21, 09:36 PM
"Oh," Peacekeeper sighs with a frown. It would have been nice to dream for once, the construct thinks.

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 09:47 PM
“Bastion of New Souls? You must wake Dreamer Prime for answers to questions that no other method provides remedy. Be warned: She does not like to be awakened, and resists it. She can be found in the chamber through the hallway to the east.”

The Elf points toward where they are supposed to go.

Toliudar
2011-04-21, 09:57 PM
Ixtabe nods and offers a small bow of gratitude.

"We appreciate your guidance and trust. May I enquire - is there a way to rouse her that is less traumatic - for her or others? And her name?"

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 10:11 PM
"Less traumatic? not really for the others, we can rouse them, that's not really a problem. Some of our adepts go on months long dream journeys to find the answers to their questions, so letting them sleep is for the best. Dreamer Prime has dreamed nonstop for seven years now since her last waking."

Toliudar
2011-04-21, 10:29 PM
Ixtabe grimaces and sends her thoughts to her companions.

"Seven years! That's some powerful tiredness. I might be able to reach this prime woman telepathically, or failing that to use powerful magic to bring all of us into her dream to speak with her. But it only works if we're willing to try that, and I'd sure be happy to hear other ideas."

Turning again to the elves, Ixtabe reassumes a pleasant manner.

"Um. Okay. Uh, thanks. But...her name? And how would YOU rouse her if there were some kind of emergency?"

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 10:36 PM
"Her real name? I always knew her as dreamer prime. It's probably not her real name but I dunno much more than that."

GFawkes
2011-04-21, 10:37 PM
"I have an idea. When she awakens, would she be more comfortable seeing a familiar face before anyone else?"
Kira asks, an idea sparking and forming in her head.

Hyperion
2011-04-21, 10:50 PM
"I'd rather not be present when she wakes up. The few people who have been trying to rouse her up, often are found running like a bat from hell. Good luck in your endeavor."

The elf goes sit right next to his colleague as they resume talking quietly.

Toliudar
2011-04-22, 09:12 AM
Ixtabe blanches briefly.

"Well, shall we go say hello?"

So, what do you think? I'm thinking that a fun option could be to use the spell below to dive into her brain without having to wake the dreamer up. Because who didn't enjoy Inception, right?

If we go that route, though, maybe we take a time out so Ixtabe could sleep for a couple hours, and actually have a way to get us back again?

DREAM WALK
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Oneiromancy 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
You move yourself or some other creature into a dreamscape. You must
either be able to see the dreamer whose dreams you wish to enter or be within 30 feet of her. This spell otherwise functions exactly as plane shift.

Hyperion
2011-04-22, 12:04 PM
Nurn looks at his companion and crosses his arms.
"Oh the world of dreams now? Might I remind you this is the guild of the sleep and if dreamer prime does imply she is the best around here...I wouldn't think going into her own field of dreams would be the best idea. As a psionicist, I have some mental powers to aid us but I'm not confident enough of your abilities in the dreamscape. What about you let me wake her up?"
He waits patiently to see what the others think.

Toliudar
2011-04-22, 12:12 PM
Ixtabe turns and tilts her head, considering Nurn's words.

"I suppose that my thinking is along these lines: If we visit her dreaming world for a few minutes, we can do so without materially disrupting whatever she's doing there, and in fact can do what we can to blend in. Further, unless she's a complete solipsist, she might be willing to part with a few seconds of time chatting with us in order to help save the world. Whereas if we disrupt a state that she's been in for seven years...well, I sometimes wake up cranky after just a few hours. But, if you're concerned, it might be best if you remained here while we went inside."

Ixtabe smiled and turned to the others for their thoughts.

Killerloop
2011-04-23, 11:38 AM
Arthur

"I actually prefer to wake her up. While it is a bit rude it is certainly a lot less than entering a place, private place, without authorization."

Toliudar
2011-04-23, 04:26 PM
Ixtabe shrugs, pouting for a moment before her customary smile returns. She settles into a seated position on Peacekeeper's shoulder.

"All right, then. Let's head over to her bedroom so Arthur can wake her up."

Killerloop
2011-04-23, 05:08 PM
Arthur

"I... uhm, I'm not used to this. But the matter at hand is certainly of greater importance than some girl sleeping."

Arthur moves to the next room, looking for Dreamer Prime

Hyperion
2011-04-24, 10:40 AM
Arthur pushes the door and they find themselves in the hallway as described by the guard. Comfortably appointed alcoves run along an east–west corridor tiled in pale jade. Each alcove is heavily draped, contains a serenely burning candle lamp, and is redolent with scented oils. Three of the alcoves are draped closed; the sound of hearty snoring issues from these.

At each alcove, there are two elven standing guard apparently of the person sleeping, it is most likely the vip section. The guards don't make any sudden move or say anything as the adventurer come into the hallway. At the end of the Hallway, there is another door, leading toward the chamber.

Toliudar
2011-04-24, 11:52 PM
Ixtabe takes in the contents of the passage for a few moments. She then kicks her heels playfully against Peacekeeper's shoulder plates, which hurts about as much as a strong breeze.

"Gidyap. Through that door, I guess. Let's see who we're dealing with."

OMG PONIES
2011-04-25, 09:49 AM
Peacekeeper smiles and blithely walks toward the door at the end of the corridor. It very much enjoyed taking orders from creatures it had already identified as good; doing so gave it a break from all of that processing.

"Little Ix," it turns and whispers, "what are dreams like?"

Killerloop
2011-04-25, 09:53 AM
Arthur moves onwards towards the chamber of the Dreamer Prime

"I so hope she understand why we are going to awake her..."

Hyperion
2011-04-25, 10:00 AM
Past the door...

A full-room fresco gives this 20-foot-tall room an almost real-seeming background of an unrelieved vista of blue sky and scattered white clouds. The ceiling, the floor, and even the support pillars are painted. Strange creatures squat on clouds here and there, and a human woman in bright yellow clothing hovers serenely in the center of the room. Her hair floats as if she is underwater, and a galaxy of small lights flicker within those dark tresses.

The human woman stares directly at the group of adventurers.

"Leave immediately. Don't you know that I'm asleep?."

Killerloop
2011-04-25, 10:07 AM
Arthur

Clearing his throat and speaking in a soft tone Arthur commences:

"Milady, under normal circumstances we will not come here and disturb you with petty motivations, but the matter at hand is a grave one and thus coming here was our only lead"

"We need to learn anything you know about the Bastion of The Unborn Souls"

Diplomacy if required: [roll0]

My diplomacy score is very low, please intervene charming teammates :)

Toliudar
2011-04-25, 10:31 AM
So as not to disturb the solemnity of the moment, Ixtabe responds to Peacekeeper mentally.

"Dreams? Dreams are like...when you think about what something might be like in the future, when you are trying to picture it, you fill in details that you don't know for sure with guesses. Er. Statistical analysis and probability projection. Right? Well, think of a dream like a subroutine that takes care of all of those calculations without the rest of your mind knowing what's being calculated, and without knowing what the parameters are for the scenario.

"Also, back on the Island, we have this one patch of mushrooms, and the dreams that you can have if you sleep in that patch are just...oh. I should focus on the task at hand."

Looking around the room, Ixtabe murmurs a brief magical spell, and her eyes flash blue for a moment. Following up on Arthur's comments, Ixtabe sends her comments to the woman, and to the colleagues.

"Hi. Hey, that's an amazing effect you've got going with your hair, and the lights. Really stunning, actually. I'm going to have to try that sometime. Bravo. And also, it's really great news that you can talk to us while you're still asleep, because we were afraid we were going to have to wake you up, but instead it looks like we can just chat here, like this. Really, just a couple of minutes and we'll be out of your hair. Which is, as I said, gorgeous.

"Anyway, like Arthur said, it's really important that we find the Bastion of Unborn Souls. Babies all over the world have been coming out sick, somehow, and we think that the problem may be coming from there. Can you help us?"

Ixtabe is casting Arcane Sight to try to get a better sense of what magics are present in the room. Spellcraft as needed: [roll0]

Mindsight to get a sense of the types and relative intellectual levels of the woman and the cloud-squatting critters.

Knowledge the planes to identify the real/simulated location? [roll1]

And diplomacy to aid another in the cause: [roll2]

Hyperion
2011-04-25, 10:33 AM
“I’ll only answer such questions if awakened, but the dream is too dear to give up—I’ll fight you if you attempt it. Leave immediately.”

As one of the creature, roars right after she is done talking.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-25, 10:36 AM
Peacekeeper remains silent, entranced by the sight of the room and the concept of dreams. The construct responds mentally to Ixtabe.

Such an unregulated subroutine sounds rather chaotic and prone to corruption of data. Is this why Dreamer Prime cannot return to her dream if awoken?

Toliudar
2011-04-25, 10:41 AM
Ixtabe shakes her head slightly and responds mentally to Peacekeeper first.

"You may be right, my friend. Insufficient data."

She then turns her thoughts to all of her companions, including Nurn.

"Well, it's as we surmised. She as much as admits that she has this information, and sets the parameters for us to gain this information, but then makes it clear that she does not wish us to work within those parameters. While a sensible person would have either provided the information, or guidelines regarding how we might learn it under happier circumstances. I'd like to suggest that we do indeed leave the room, but then dive into her dream in order to help her resolve this deeply self-destructive behaviour, and thus achieve our goals."

Keld Denar
2011-04-25, 10:50 AM
Kam

Stepping forward, the beshadowed man addresses the woman. Madam Dreamer, would it be less intrusive if we were to enter into your dream to have this discourse? The continuity of your dream would persist, and we would hopefully walk away with our answers. Would this be acceptable?

GFawkes
2011-04-25, 02:57 PM
"If I may, Dreamer Prime, I would advise you to awaken. While the world may seem perfect in a dream, even realistic, it's all false. You can't survive indefinetely in a dream, even if you are force fed. Your body will age, get ill, or even injured while you are away. For your own safety, I advise you to awaken." Kira says, getting her opinion in.

As far as Kira knows, what she said is false. The Dreamer Prime is pretty well protected, and would most likely have magical wards in place over her body to prevent injury.

Bluff Check:
[roll0]

Toliudar
2011-04-25, 03:03 PM
Believing that Kira believes what she says, Ixtabe sends her thoughts to Kira, Arthur, Kam and Peacekeeper.

"Actually, I don't think that's true, Kira. It seems that this dreamer and her, ah, companions are no longer remotely human - if they ever were. The passage of time may mean very little indeed to her. And this entire room is some kind of elaborate illusion; perhaps a visual representation of her dream."

Hyperion
2011-04-25, 04:15 PM
The dreamer stares at them for a moment and then stop on Nurn.

"So you want to enter my dreams and discuss your matter with me? How amusing, I suppose you want me to welcome that monster into my mind as well? I don't know what kind of business you are dealing with but I don't deal with that kind of creatures."

Nurn stays calm even under the accusation and initiates the telepathic communication, to maybe the surprise of our adventurers.

"It might be better off for me to exit now...maybe she will be more reasonable without my presence. We will discuss what she said later."

Then talks with the dreamer.

"Ma'am you have to believe me that I have in mind only the well being of the universe. They don't know about me so please be clement in your decision and wisdom."

As Nurn exits the room, obviously they would have a lot to talk about.

"If this kind of creature are getting involved...ok, I will allow one of you to come into my dream. So choose carefully, if you make one wrong move, your friends will regret your passing. Do we have an understanding?"

Toliudar
2011-04-25, 11:33 PM
Ixtabe motions for her companions to gather around Peacekeeper.

"Quick, before she changes her mind. Join hands again."

As soon as everyone - or, at least, everyone who doesn't say they don't want come - gathers around Peacekeeper, Ixtabe focuses on the Prime Dreamer and projects all of them into her dream.

To confirm: using miracle to cast Dream Walk, as described in previous post. Go go Inception strike team!

Hyperion
2011-04-26, 12:44 AM
As you use dreamwalk the vision of the world twist around and changes into something weird and different. You found yourself in some kind of garden, there are all kind of flowers and the sky is probably the bluest that you have ever seen.

This dreamscape seems idyllic, representing some kind of a little heaven. Looking a bit away your eyes catch orbs floating around the world. Each orb appears to have some different people.

The same human woman that you had seen in your dreams is right next to the lake and looking down into it. She appears to be very happy. A couple of tigers are around the garden, as well as a triceratop roaming around.

A tree sprouts from the ground,a hooded figure comes out from the tree and holds an apple in one hand and a staff in the other hand. The hooded figure eyes are crimson red. She appears to be much older than the young woman right next to the lake who is ignoring you at the moment. A snake moves in and out of the hooded figure robe.

"Do we have visitors ma'am?"

"Don't worry about it dear, keep on playing, Let's be quick about it. I have to resume my dreaming soon children. I really hope your questions are worth the trouble. So what do you want to know?"

Killerloop
2011-04-28, 09:53 AM
Arthur

"Sorry for the disturbance. We want to learn everything you know about the Bastion of the Unborn souls"

The cleric pauses for a moment

"...and maybe, just maybe, if you happen to know anything about Hethradiah, The Cathezars or Dydd??"

Hyperion
2011-04-28, 10:06 AM
“The Bastion of Unborn Souls is a font of preincarnate souls in which spirits the multiverse over have their origin. Your soul, and mine, likely originated in the Bastion, or perhaps a font much like it. There maybe other fonts, I know not, but I do know that the Bastion grows souls—and the deities are banned, by ancient decree. And the deities obey the Ban, lest they be stripped of their power, like Desayeus. As for Dydd, you should ask the church of the elements, they would know enough about this druid. As for the rest...”

The old lady chuckles but doesn't bother answering the questions about hethradiah and Cathezar.

"Any other questions?"

Toliudar
2011-04-28, 03:31 PM
Ixtabe holds up a hand.

"I do indeed. Thanks for accepting us into your dream, for a moment, Maam. It's a privilege. Now, about this Bastion. Where is it? Can you describe it?"

Hyperion
2011-04-28, 03:40 PM
"The Bastion of Unborn Soul is in the positive Energy Plane. Getting there is not the problem but going inside would be. Three ways to get into the Bastion of Unborn Souls exist, and Ashardalon used one of them—one of the three pieces of Desayeus’s Soul Totem. The Soul Totem was sundered when Desayeus was cast down by a conclave of deities who worried that the Ban would be violently and indiscriminately enforced, and that all deities would suffer for Desayeus’s impertinence."

Keld Denar
2011-04-28, 04:58 PM
Kam

Assuming we could obtain one of the pieces of Desayeus’s Soul Totem, we could gain entry into the Bastion? There is nothing that inhibits mortals from entering the Bastion? The Ban only applies to deities, if I understand correctly?

Hyperion
2011-04-28, 05:12 PM
"The Ban does not restrict the mortals indeed but you have never been to the positive plane have you? Any living creatures short of a god, burst into living energy that will be used later on for people casting healing spells and likes. The only place that is protected from such a fate is the surrounding of the Bastion of Unborn Souls. The Soul totem would protect you from such a fate and serve as a focus to planeshift not far from the bastion. I know where you can get another piece of the Soul Totem, now will you be daring enough to attempt it?"

Killerloop
2011-04-28, 05:24 PM
Arthur

"We have no other lead and we cannot give up on this" says Arthur "Please tell us where we can find a piece of this Soul Totem"

Hyperion
2011-04-28, 05:32 PM
“First, you need to understand who is Desayeus. He was a deity with grand plans, who by his own divine decree claimed the souls of the unborn as part of his portfolio. The Soul Totem was the symbol he took, and he invested it with much of his divine power. His new portfolio lasted seven hours before he was cast down. One third of his Soul Totem was lost, another third is in the keeping of a power I cannot perceive, and the last third Desayeus treasures yet, the last vestige of his divinity. Desayeus rots in a lost vault of Agathion, in
a region of the Outer Planes called Pandemonium. Only his Gatekeeper can gain entry. So yeah, as you have probably guessed by now, you will need to get the last piece from him.”

OMG PONIES
2011-04-28, 07:16 PM
Peacekeeper shrugs. "So two possibilities exist; find the missing third, or retrieve the one in Pandemonium. This seems easy enough."

Toliudar
2011-04-28, 07:30 PM
Ixtable looked over at Peacekeeper, trying to formulate a coherent response. Her last visit to Pandemonium had indeed been quite pleasant, for all values of "pleasant" that included the sky changing colour because the speed of light refused to remain a constant, a brief period in which her left thumb had developed independent sentience, and ground that had managed to become sticky and slippery at the same time. Certainly, the hour that she had spent there had been educational.

"Certainly, Pandemonium is...full of surprises. Great Dreamer, I don't suppose you'd be able to tell us where this Gatekeeper of Desayeus might be located?"

Hyperion
2011-04-28, 08:21 PM
“Sure thing my child, Desayeus’s Gatekeeper is Eco, a celestial being with topaz eyes, golden skin, white wings, and a heart harder than iron. Seek her if you seek Desayeus. Eco abides in the layer of Pandemonium known as Phlegethos, one layer above the vault of Agathion. Any other questions?”

Killerloop
2011-04-29, 01:49 AM
Arthur

Arthur whispered to his companions:

"I have no more questions. Once you are done with yours I can planeshift us all to Pandemonium in the blink of an eye. However it may be wise to visit the church of the elements first to find about this Dydd 'the druid'. Maybe they will be
able to tell us which one of us is related to him"

Toliudar
2011-04-29, 07:00 AM
Ixtabe smiles.

"Ma'am, I don't suppose you know the location of this Church of the Elements, do you?"

She mentally adds to Arthur's comments.

"I'd definitely like to tackle Pandemonium after a bit of rest. So...to the church first works for me."

Hyperion
2011-04-29, 08:57 AM
"The church of the elements is in the middle of the world, in Esterwood, the temple is massive and is essentially a gigantic druid grove. You won't be able to miss it. Now I go back to my dreams, if you do succeed, I would be very curious to hear your tales,so come tell me of your exploits. I would even wake up for this."

Toliudar
2011-04-29, 09:06 AM
Ixtabe ruffles her feathered headdress as she bows to the dreamer.

"Arthur, how about you use that plane shift to get us home again?"

Killerloop
2011-04-29, 09:22 AM
Arthur

Willing to extract every bit of information Arthur still questions the woman:

"I know I tire you with my questions, but I have a last one to ask you: As you know we are traveling with that man, Nurn, which you depicted as monster and refused to allow him here. Normally, I would refuse ANY association with the likes of him but we can't afford turning away help in this situation.

I would like to learn everything you know about him or his masters if any.

Again, please forgive my tamper. If this information has a price I'm willing to pay."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Hyperion
2011-04-29, 09:32 AM
"Oh this guy? Nurn? He is a death slaad working for Hethradiah isn't he? He is opposing Aamul. Aameul, yes. No one knows, not all the demons of the Abyss. But I know, oh yes. I’ve spied his dreams. Can’t you guess? It is an aspect of Demogorgon who seeks Dydd’s blood. For Hethradiah, you will have to ask him yourself but he would be more than willing to talk I bet. Now Begone!”

As she pushes all of you out of her dreams and you find yourself back in the room.

GFawkes
2011-04-29, 11:54 AM
"So, to the temple of elements then?" Kira asks, brushing herself off.

Killerloop
2011-04-29, 01:19 PM
"What the.... *oof*!" says Arthur as the Dreamer kicks them out of her dreamscape.

"Yeah, we should head towards the church of the elements, but..." he whispers, gathering his companions so no one can overhear.

"Nurn... the Dreamer was literally HORRIFIED by him, what do u want to do on the matter? I am extremely worried"

Toliudar
2011-04-29, 02:22 PM
I'm going to assume a reasonable minimum knowledge of slaadi, given a 35+ knowledge check.

Ixtabe frowns in consternation, absent-mindedly tapping at Peacekeeper's shoulder plate.

"Hmm. Slaads...slaadi, technically, but it seems silly to stand on points of linguistic technicality with creatures with all the tempermental resolve of a gust of wind...are creatures of pure chaos. Hail from Limbo, which is just across the lane from Pandemonium, so to speak. That's unlikely to be a coincidence. Death slaadi are, well, pretty much what you'd expect from the name. Feared assassins and psychopaths. And if this one has developed precognition and mental powers on top of that...a big old ball of fun. And if he's seeking Dydd's blood - or bloodline, perhaps - then one of us will ultimately be his target.

"On the other hand, he hasn't lied to us, as far as we know. Plus, he was able to fool my mental vision, which no one has managed in, oh, six years. Pretty impressive, really. And if he really can see the future, sneaking up on him's going to be a bit awkward.

"Perhaps, a middle ground between some kind of pre-emptive strike and simply going along with his company. We thank him profusely and suggest that we've had a vision that we'll only succeed in this without him? Force his hand a bit, perhaps."

OMG PONIES
2011-04-29, 08:56 PM
Peacekeeper looks around with the wide-eyed wonder of a child. "Is that what a dream is always like?" it asks the group. "A return to the world of Dreamer Prime would be quite nice. Did all of you see how vivid the colors were?" Shaking its head to regain composure, the construct continues. "Peacekeeper is uneasy about visiting the druids and travelling with Nurn, but it seems that both are necessary...for now. Rest up, softies; Peacekeeper will make some new toys."

Toliudar
2011-05-01, 03:33 PM
Ixtabe nods at Peacekeeper's straightforward wisdom.

"I think Arthur and Peacekeeper are right. I'd rather not sleep here, so close to the dreamers AND nurn. What say I take us somewhere neutral - say, the seaside town of Ghent, where we went sailing last year - and Kam takes all of us into his lovely mansion? Then, in the morning, we head off, refreshed and ready to chat with the Church of the Elements."

Keld Denar
2011-05-01, 05:23 PM
Kam

Walking back down to the villiage, Kam leads the group down an alley between two buildings. Tracing the outline of a door on the wall, he concludes the drawing with a doorknob. Clasping the doorknob securely, Kam finishes the spell and sweeps the door open revealing a lavishly decorated palace foyer within. A fountain at the center projects multicolored water upward where it arcs and lands without splashing in several pots around central fountain which overflow into a system of intricate waterfalls that trickle down over rocks into the central pond. Amongst marble benches and columns are piles of brightly colored pillows are strewn about, forming comfortable places to rest as desired. Off to one side, a table of meats, breads, exotic fruits, and cheeses is piled high, tended to by the diligent hands of a small army of unseen servants. In the back is a table stacked high with maps with a few sturdy chairs surrounding it. Off to either side are doors leading off to private chambers.

Ah home...just the way I left it. Kam flies through the door and makes a b-line for the food.

Toliudar
2011-05-02, 02:14 PM
As the door opens, Ixtabe slides down Peacekeeper's back and into its luxurious embrace. She scurries in after Kam, hopping up to snatch a round yellow fruit off of a tray as she passes.

"Right. I'm off for a massage and then bed. See all of you in a few hours?"

I'd be standard enough procedure for the five of us that all would know that Ixtabe casts some of her defensive spells before she turns in. If any of you have special requests - come see her. :smallwink:

Killerloop
2011-05-02, 02:28 PM
Arthur

"Such a lovely place you got there, my friend" said the cleric heading for the food, but waiting for Kam's permission before touching anything.

Ixtabe can you spare a Mind Blank? :)

GFawkes
2011-05-02, 02:53 PM
"I'm with you on that plan, Ix. I just need a bath and a good night's rest." Kira yawns, grabbing an apple as she passes the table.

Toliudar
2011-05-02, 03:09 PM
Within two minutes, the very small gnome was stripped down to even less, and instructing an unseen servant on the precise amounts of pressure to be applied to two very small shoulder blades.

Absolutely, Killerloop! And I'll throw in an extended Iron Silence for free.

Keld Denar
2011-05-03, 03:17 PM
Kam

Pooring over his various spellbooks in his private sanctum off the main foyer, Kam's attention is drawn to a soft knock at the door. An Unseen Servant traces the number 6 in the air, indicating the time. Sighing, Kam closes the old tome and begins what is now a VERY familiar ritual of spellcasting. That completed, Kam dresses himself in his gossmir mithril shirt under his usual black and gold robes and strolls purposefully from the room. The servant following dutifully behind him snags a plate and fills it from the refreshed stock of meats, cheeses, and fruits before filling a cup from a flowing fountain of freshly squeezed orange and peach juice and a mug with fresh coffee and sets them on a table next to the map table where Kam is already unfurling a scematic that depicts the Great Wheel of the outer planes.

Hyperion
2011-05-05, 11:34 AM
As Kam gathered his companions and transported them to the place known as the church of the elements, at least not too far from it, to avoid any sudden reactions from the druids. A bald hill rises from the dark green grip of the forest. The hill stands some 200 feet high, though the slope is not too steep. The hill is crowned by standing stones. The place emanates with powers and bathes in light. The forest is luscious and well maintained by his inhabitants.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-05, 11:35 AM
"Ugh," Peacekeeper drones, "...so green. Peacekeeper will be smiling as we leave this jungle."

GFawkes
2011-05-05, 12:02 PM
"Well, let's get moving." Kira says, begining to fly up the hill.

Toliudar
2011-05-05, 02:20 PM
Ixtabe takes a deep, delighted breath, and clambers up onto Peacekeeper's shoulder.

"Oh, come on. It'll be fun."

OMG PONIES
2011-05-05, 02:29 PM
Peacekeeper grunts in disbelief. "Easy for Little Ix to say. Little Ix isn't an 'abomination' or an 'affront against nature.'" As Peacekeeper speaks, its voice changes pitch and intonation, playing back old recordings of what previous druids had to say about the construct. "Peacekeeper will try to keep quiet, but will be walking on eggshells. Never mind, the druids would probably decry Peacekeeper's senseless murder of eggshells."

Ixtabe is almost thrown into the air as Peacekeeper's shoulders sag, clearly the construct's attempt at sulking. A faint whirring sound is heard as its shoulders ratchet back into position. "Sometimes Peackeeper wishes it knew disguise magic, so it could look like just another softie. Maybe Little Ix can teach Peacekeeper?"

Toliudar
2011-05-05, 02:43 PM
Ixtabe snorts, and shifts over to hug Peacekeeper's neck.

"People who talk about 'offenses against nature' usually have no idea what would actually offend something as big and wild as nature. And...It might be hard to teach you how to make yourself look different, at least right away, but Kam or I could sure do it for you. How would you like to look?"

OMG PONIES
2011-05-05, 02:54 PM
Peacekeeper looks genuinely stumped by the question, as if it has never been able to imagine things...or at least never been told that it could. "Peacekeeper will need some time to consider the possibilities," it says matter-of-factly before falling silent.

Toliudar
2011-05-05, 03:16 PM
Ixtabe settles into a comfortable notch in the massive warrior's shoulder.

"Well, just let me know. In the meantime, though, we should probably get a move on after Kira. Not that she can't handle herself, but I figure that if there's one big demon out gunning for us, there might be a whole lot of em."

Hyperion
2011-05-05, 04:37 PM
As the adventurers get up there. The standing stones are not merely symbolic—they mark a very real boundary. While outside the skies were calm, within the circle the sky is a maelstrom of wheeling stars, explosions of light, churning Thunderheads, and the rumble of thunder. The ground is paved with irregularly shaped flagstones, through which pokes thick, green, glowing moss that illuminates what would otherwise be darkness. On the east side of the circle, between two heavily inscribed obelisks, grows a pure white sapling with golden leaves. A woman in a flowing gown stands with head bowed near the sapling.

Keld Denar
2011-05-05, 05:13 PM
Kam

Floating about 10' off the ground, Kam holds up his hand to hail the woman.

Hyperion
2011-05-05, 05:19 PM
The woman in her gown waves back, as dire tiger can be seen moving along the edges of the standing stones most likely an animal companion.

"Welcome brothers and sisters to the church of the elements, you surely came with questions. I, Dorus, will speak for Semphelon and it will answer all your questions."

As her hand points toward the pure white sapling with golden leaves.

Keld Denar
2011-05-05, 10:56 PM
Kam

We are looking for information on Dydd, slayer of Ashardarlon. We were told he has been laid to rest in honor here. Do you know the tale? It is a matter of great importance. I'm sure you've heard about the recent plague on newborns?

Hyperion
2011-05-05, 11:18 PM
The lady closes her eyes and as if she is listening to something. No noises can be heard and the sapling doesn't even move as far as people know.

Then Dorus speaks.

“Dydd was a brave gnome druid. Ashardalon is a red dragon of unmatched power, a great wyrm few could hope to stand before. Centuries ago, he crossed a branch of this church led by Dydd. Though the branch society was wiped out, Ashardalon too was wounded nigh unto death by Dydd’s hand. Since Dydd’s legendary blow against the dragon, a mystical connection stretches between the dragon and Dydd, and those descended of Dydd. This connection is anathema to the dragon, and he is weakened in its direct presence.Somehow, the dragon Ashardalon is directly responsible for the soul sickness affecting newborns the world over. If not checked, the soulless will continue to accumulate, and at an ever increasing rate. More, I cannot discover. I do know the words of powers spoken by Dydd to subdue the dragon.”

Toliudar
2011-05-05, 11:45 PM
At word that Dydd was a gnome, Ixtabe stiffened for a moment. She supposed she knew that Peacekeeper hadn't been the bloodline of Dydd. And given the demon's singling out back at the tavern, it should have been obvious to her that she was the descendant. And somehow, traipsing about in the dreamland and so on, she had avoided thinking about the implications. But here she was.

Ixtabe cleared her throat.

"Um. Thanks for this, Dorus. You say that Dydd was a gnome? Huh. See, yesterday, a Cathezar Demon attacked me in the middle of the day, in the middle of a temple, for no apparent reason. And then a death slaad who was pretending to be human told us that she was hunting a descendant of Dydd. So, I guess I'm asking, um. Did the story of this Dydd woman have any children? And do you think that someone of her blood would have any special influence over this dragon?"

Hyperion
2011-05-05, 11:52 PM
"Dydd was a male gnome and he did have many children. Some of his children followed his druidic paths, others moved far away and went back into civilization. Yes I do think a descendant of Dydd would have special powers over this dragon. To use the power of Dydd over the dragon, the descendant must activate the connection, saying ‘In the name of Dydd, whose blood is my blood, who slew your heart, feel again the pain of your heart’s demise!'.In truth, the power of the descendant over the dragon is not absolute. The dragon won’t come to heel with a word, or die on command. No, nothing so dramatic. However, in the descendant’s presence, the dragon will be cowed and severely lessened."

Keld Denar
2011-05-05, 11:58 PM
Kam

Do you know of the location of this Ashardalon? Does he still reside on the Material Plane? Also, does the name Cathezar have any meaning to you? Perhaps as a link to demons or devils?

Hyperion
2011-05-06, 12:09 AM
"“Ashardalon’s old heart was damaged beyond repair, but the dragon cheated death with the implantation of a new “heart” in the form of a living demon. Though his new heart granted Ashardalon continued life, it was a stopgap measure, and its ability to sustain the dragon began to decay slowly. Ashardalon lives yet, though eventually his heart will give out unless the dragon can find some way to reinvigorate himself. We know little of Ashardalon’s current whereabouts—all divination queries regarding the dragon are met with strange, cold silence. It is as if the dragon has moved into a realm beyond our natural universe. One phrase only have we discovered with our divinations: ‘The Dreamer reveals what the deities must conceal.’ ”

Killerloop
2011-05-06, 01:53 AM
Arthur

"I sense a connection: this Ashardalon could be siphoning the souls of the unborn to sustain his life. So morbid... I would expect more wisdom from an elder dragon."

"The divination attempts may be foiled in multiple ways, expecially if he is into another plane of existence."

"On an unrelated note I think it is time to discover which one of us is the descendant of Dydd" says the cleric as he starts to dabble with the pendant recovered from the Cathezar, unsure on how to use it.

Toliudar
2011-05-06, 08:29 AM
Ixtabe smiled over at Arthur as he began to work with the pendant. Sweet, beautiful Arthur, who could glow as if lit from within at times. Oh, why spoil his fun?

She turned back to speak with Dorus.

"I believe that we've already spoken with the dreamer in question. So...perhaps the demons working to find the descendant serve Ashardalon, then. Do you know, Dorus, whether the place of Dydd's final rest is known, and where it might be? When the opportunity arises, it might be fitting to visit this place."

Hyperion
2011-05-06, 08:51 AM
"We buried Dydd in this very forest. He is part of the cycle of life now. He rests eternally with his fellow druids and protectors of Semphelon. The demon might serve Ashadarlon, but Semphelon and my expertise are mostly only focused on nature concerns. Semphelon wishes you well in your quest and hope you solve this issue. We will try to do our best to preserve life in your absence."

Arthur managed to activate the pendant, as it glows with a red light and point actively toward Peacekeeper, actually, not peacekeeper but Ixtabe. If there is any doubt in anybody mind that the gnome of your party is the descendant, all those doubts just have been cleared out. Now our heroes have only one choice left, get to pandemonium and try to obtain a piece of the Soul Totem.

Killerloop
2011-05-06, 09:19 AM
"Hey it is Ixtabe!" says Arthur

"...as I expected" he quickly adds, realizing that he was the only one, maybe barring Peacekeeper, who hasn't already thought of that.

"Well, if you people are ready I can bring us all to Pandemonium in a blink"

OMG PONIES
2011-05-06, 09:21 AM
Peacekeeper turns to leave the druid, and sighs heavily. "That went better than probable by previous indications. So it's just another dragon that needs to be slain? That shouldn't be too hard."

Killerloop
2011-05-06, 09:34 AM
Arthur

The cleric sighs:

"While I actually hope for a less violent solution I fear that we will have to eradicate him from the planes for good."

GFawkes
2011-05-06, 11:10 AM
"If Ashardalon didn't want to be eradicated, he would have sent better demons after us." Kira chuckles.

Toliudar
2011-05-06, 11:20 AM
Ixtabe looks down at her hands, pensive.

"If that's even possible, Arthur. This Ashardalon is ancient, able to bend the will of great demons, able to hide his actions from the gods. I also hope that a more, um, nuanced solution might be possible."

She nods her gratitude to Dorus, and looks around the forest that, apparently, her ancestor fought to preserve. She takes a deep breath.

"I guess I'm ready to go when you are. If this dragon is gathering power all the time, it puts a rather different complexion on the issue. We should stay close together, when we arrive. It'll be hard to know what kind of terrain, weather...even the stability of time and space...we'll face at our destination. I have a simple magic that may reduce the effects on us, but I can't cast it until we're actually there."

Preparing to cast Planar Tolerance as soon as we arrive at our destination.

Hyperion
2011-05-06, 11:45 AM
The planeshift reveals to them the plane of Pandemonium.The unrelenting roar of wind howls through the narrow, twisting tunnel. The wind is cold, and it sucks the heat from exposed flesh. Its endless gale buffets, blowing sand and dirt into your eyes and carrying away any loose items. Some gusts threaten to lift you off your feet and send you bouncing down the tunnel. The tunnel rock seems to absorb light and heat. Heavily weathered stalagmites and stalactites poke from floor and ceiling. Our adventurers need to reach the prison or might end up getting hurt by the strong winds.

In that many rounds:
[roll0]

I'm Going to need a reflex save 24 for half to avoid being picked up by the wind and smashed against the walls.

[roll1]

Now your ability to travel is going to be important now, let see how far you are:
[roll2]
This is the distance that you need to reach Desayeus prison in miles.

Killerloop
2011-05-06, 12:46 PM
Arthur

"..SHIFT!!"

In an instant the calm forest and the friendly druids are replaced by a barren landscape and terrible winds that threaten to blow the party away.

Arthur almost immediately loses the grip on his companions and gasps, trying to resist the immense force of the wind.

"Friends, do you have a VERY solid rope?"

GFawkes
2011-05-06, 01:19 PM
"I've got a rope, but I don't know how to tie it to everyone!" Kira yells over the wind.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-06, 04:10 PM
Peacekeeper tries to keep Ixtabe on its shoulder, fighting against the wind as it shouts: "Hold on, Little Ix!" As its compatriots shout about rope, Peacekeeper raises a question. "Rope? Just teleport agai--UNFH!" The construct's sentence is cut off as it is slammed into the nearest wall, shattering the stalagmites and stalactites in its path.

[roll0]

I assume that the 4d10 is damage from being pushed into the wall?

Keld Denar
2011-05-07, 01:26 AM
Kam

Feeling the wind picking up to intolerable levels, Kam looks to Ix. If you can tell me where the location is, I can teleport us there, no problem.

Toliudar
2011-05-07, 01:50 AM
Clinging desperately to Peacekeeper, Ix nods at Kam.

"HOLD TIGHT! THIS TAKES A WHILE TO CAST!"

She launches into a complicated chant, picturing as her destination the home of the Eco, Gatekeeper of Desayeus.

Casting Find the Path.

Hyperion
2011-05-07, 02:22 AM
The path shows clearly where they need to go through those caves to reach Eco. Kam uses his teleportation to send them right next to the Gatekeeper Eco from the information given to him by Ixtabe.

Two celestial beings, white-winged and noble-visaged, stand in a high-ceilinged tunnel where many smaller tributaries meet. Here, the wind of Pandemonium is just a breeze carrying haunting echoes from distant parts of the plane, distorted so that they sound like cries of torment.

A 9-foot-tall woman with clear yellow eyes, silver skin, and folded white wings stands with eyes downcast. Near her stands a muscular winged male, nearly the same height as she, but with green skin. Both are silent and appear as if they’ve stood sentinel in exactly the same position for decades.

Toliudar
2011-05-07, 08:45 AM
Ixtabe smiled. Perhaps celestial beings would be open to stories of the greater good.

"Hi there! Goodness, it certainly is nice of you to stay here in this inhospitable place for so long. Clearly, you take your work very seriously. I'm sure that you'll be pleased to know that we also take our task to heart. You're probably not particularly in the loop, but recently, all over the material worlds, babies have been getting born changed, sickly. It seems to cross all racial bounds, and it seems likely that the problem lies at the source, the Bastion of New Souls. I'm sure you see where this is going.

"There is a great dragon, Ashardalon, who seems to have a knack for hiding his activities, even from the gods. Not coincidentally, perhaps, we understand that one of the pieces of Desayeus' soul totem is in the possession of a power that blocks all divinations. My suspicion is that Ashardalon has acquired a piece of the totem and has entered the bastion, taking its power for himself.

"We have a unique opportunity to stop him. These four kindly folk are gifted and powerful heroes. I am, apparently, a descendant of a great druid who had defeated Ashardalon in the past, and through his blood may have some power over him.

"But in order to do any good, there, we need the piece of the soul totem that, I'm guessing, you're very diligently guarding. I offer to open my mind to you, so that you can judge the truth of my words. What do you say?"

Hyperion
2011-05-07, 08:50 AM
Eco's eyes move slightly but her facial expression doesn't change, obviously taking her task very seriously. She probably heard all kind of reasons for wanting to come into the vault and it looks like this might take a lot more than that to impress her.

““I am Eco, and I am charged with guarding the entry to the prison of Desayeus, the God Who Was Banned.If you be creatures of good, you will leave now, and petition your deities for entry to Desayeus’s prison."

Toliudar
2011-05-07, 09:08 AM
Deciding not to be offended by the fact that Eco was clearly ignoring their points, Ixtabe nods sociably.

"Right, right. So, if I understand correctly, if we get permission from one of our gods to enter, you'll let us in? What form of proof for this permission would you require? Because we might be able to reach one of them long-distance from here, so to speak."

Hyperion
2011-05-07, 09:17 AM
"Your deities will know what to do. Every one of them have different ways to show their approval or if necessary they would contact me."

Killerloop
2011-05-07, 11:31 AM
"Very well, you will get your sign"

Arthur retreats from the group, finds a plain enough spot and knells.

*Arthur praying*
"Lord and master, your humbly servants calls for help in this hour of need. Two creatures of the heavens stand between us and our quest for the Good being of newborn souls. Please intercede, we need to entry Desayeus’s prison"

OMG PONIES
2011-05-07, 06:44 PM
As Arthur begins his petition to Pelor, Peacekeeper steps forward and looks at the creatures quizzically. "Suppose a creature is good," the construct begins its query, "truly and deeply good, but not favored by a particular deity with divine magic or holy lineage or..." It pauses for a moment, clearly having some difficulty getting out its words, "or even a soul. How, then, would such a creature gain entrance?"

Toliudar
2011-05-07, 08:24 PM
Ixtabe watches Arthur and Eco closely, wondering if prayer itself was powerful enough to reach out to a greater divinities.

GFawkes
2011-05-07, 09:35 PM
Kira mutters to herself for a short while, then addresses the guardians
"Ms. Eco and Mr...Eco's partner, I have come with the blessing of Olidammara himself to stop this plague of the newborns. Should you refuse me entry, you refuse entry to the God of Revelry Himself. In the name of the Laughing Rogue, let me and my companions pass." Kira says this with an air of confidence, even against two nine-foot tall embodiments of Good.

Yep, it's a Bluff Check.
Will Saves to overcome detect lies:
His: [roll0]
Hers: [roll1]

Bluff:
[roll2]+Whatever modifiers Hyperion deems appropriate

Hyperion
2011-05-08, 03:32 AM
No answers from the prayers. Eco nods toward Kira. Eco waits patiently for Kira to get inside of the vault. There are no doors or anything behind Eco as far the eyes can see.

"I see, so Olidammara agreed to let you in. I suppose you know what must be done. Are you ready?"

The green guy moves his head toward Eco and back at the mortal again. Apparently waiting for her to present her or do something specific.

Toliudar
2011-05-08, 10:10 AM
Stepping in to give Kira time to think, Ixtabe pursues another line of conversation.

"So tell me, Eco. Since the gods aren't at all involved with the Bastion, by what authority do you guard this place? What made you decide to do so? And why would it be important whether Olidammara thinks that it's a good idea that we go in?"

Hyperion
2011-05-08, 10:49 AM
"It's very simple tiny one, I hold the key to the prison, and I will not willingly give it up. The gods gave me the key when they imprisoned Desayeus and made me guard this prison for eternity. I haven't moved from here since the day it was created. Not one single person came to visit Desayeus's prison.”

You can clearly imagine that Eco have been standing and guarding this place for centuries or even thousand of years. It wasn't unheard of for a Solar but you know those divine warriors and Angels can be very stubborn about their tasks and orders. Most likely why she was chosen to be the watchdog in the first place.

Toliudar
2011-05-08, 11:44 AM
Ixtabe shrugs, shaking her head.

"Eco, I admire your diligence, really. I'm sure we all do. But you heard what I said before, about babies being born sickly? By the millions?Maybe we can agree that that's also important. So, the gods aren't allowed to come here, but there's no rules against mortals, right? So, if a god says that it's all right to let us in, what more proof do you need?"

Killerloop
2011-05-08, 11:50 AM
"And you don't need to part with your keys. We only need to enter, we will not free the God that was Banned. You have my word on that"

Hyperion
2011-05-08, 12:42 PM
Eco stays silent and closes her eyes, apparently considering various options.

"It's not that simple that I'm afraid. The path you are about to take is not an easy one but your cause seems to be truthful enough. If I open this door, there is no turning back."

The green guy turns around and is about to speak and she gazes at him for a moment and he doesn't say a word.

"Desayeus will most likely not give up the item you seek, so my question is, how far are you willing to go?"

Killerloop
2011-05-08, 01:00 PM
Arthur

The cleric clears his throat, then speaks with a strong and decisive tone:

"How far? That is a good question indeed. We have crossed great lengths to cure this soul-plague and certainly will not be stopped by a banned god who wish to hold his bauble only for himself."

"I've spent my entire life helping the weak and the wounded, it is my duty and calling which I will carry on until my dying breath. Now my duty is to get the piece of the Soul Totem so we can approach the Bastion.....and we will get it!"

"Once we are done he can have it back if so desires. But until that day, since there is no mortal, divine or DEITY willing or able to stop the plague we must go on. If Desayeus stands in our path he will suffer the consequences"

Hyperion
2011-05-08, 01:49 PM
Eco looks at Arthur and gives him a warm smile. She withdraws her sword and give a salute to the planetar standing right next to her.

"I see, Brammam, it was a pleasure serving with you under all these years."

Then she looks back at the group of adventurers.

"You will have tough decisions to make, I hope that you will not stray from the righteous path and would understand all the sacrifices that had to be made for you to come this far."

As Eco began to glow with a strange light as she transforms into a 9 foot diameter gateway of light leading into a room. Brammam nods and moves away from the gateway, now not attached to this place anymore and believing the heroes will do the right choice.

1620 xp for everybody and yeah Eco life force was the gateway. I did consider the high bluff check+the current situation affecting the entire multiverse and+the willingness to kill Desayeus if necessary. Now there is no turning back.

Toliudar
2011-05-08, 04:57 PM
Ixtabe nods gratefully to Eco, speaking with unusual solemnity.

"We will work hard to be worthy of your faith."

As she watches Eco transform into a gateway and Brammam vanish, Ixtabe sends her thoughts to her companions. "Hmm. If they are considering their job done, that means that we can't leave until we're sure that this Desayeus is no longer a threat to anyone."

Hyperion
2011-05-09, 11:47 PM
A space bounded by smoothed rock creates a roughly 40-foot-diameter space. One 20-foot-diameter opening leads to another unlighted chamber. Frayed pillows cover the floor, worn tapestries line the walls, and dimly gleaming lamps glow wanly from leaning and toppled stone columns. Amid the pillows lie long-broken and scattered harps, horns, and other musical instruments. Two partly humanoid figures lie forlornly amid the pillows. One hums a dreary tune; the other fingers broken strings on a lute.

As soon as the adventurers stepped into the gateway, the creatures withdrew their swords in an instant.

"We have visitors brother, looks like they are finally sending slayers to do their dirty work."

"Sound the Alarm, Protect Desayeus at all cost!"

Knowledge the plane to identify the creatures.
The Desayeus Entourage Initiative: [roll0]
Going to need a group initiative.
Map will be up tomorrow.

Hyperion
2011-05-10, 01:43 AM
The lillends are quicker than our adventurers and proceed to assault our brave heroes by beginning their slice and dice simple tactics.

Both lillend charge the first one in line, in that case Peacekeeper, preferring to get rid of the big strong one first.

Charge+Power Attack 5 on both lillends: Miss chance from the ring of blinking on Peacekeeper, lemme know if you decided against giving it to the tank:
Lillend 1:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lillend 2:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

OMG PONIES
2011-05-10, 07:35 AM
Both of their attacks fail to even make contact with the construct in the front of the line. "Maintain positions behind Peacekeeper," the warforged shouts over its back as its battleaxe begins crackling with magical power. Turning back to the two semi-humanoid creatures, it announces: "You have attacked a creature of good without provocation. This is an evil act; prepare for eradication."

OOC actions:
Swift action: change stance to Iron Guard's Glare--the lillends take a -4 penalty to attack anyone but Peacekeeper, and they're aware of this condition.
Full attack: vs lillend 1...47 vs AC for 28 damage, 43 vs AC for 28 damage, 37 vs AC for 28 damage, 26 vs AC for 27 damage, 28 vs AC for 12 damage. If all attacks hit, 123 damage. If the lillend drops at any point, the remaining attacks will be against lillend 2.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Hyperion
2011-05-10, 09:43 AM
Peacekeeper hits the creature standing in front of him with his axe, doing some serious damage on the creature but this doesn't fell the creature who is still ready for a fight.

The Map:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1016/entrydesayeus.gif

Toliudar
2011-05-10, 09:58 AM
Ixtabe clings to the strap of Peacekeeper's pack as tightly as she can, and tries to enjoy the ride. She was deeply saddened that creatures so similar to her beloved Couatls could have been so thoroughly coopted by this foolishness. Ah well. Perhaps a bit of distraction will help against the Lillends.

Focusing on a point in space behind the two winged-snake-women, Ixtabe blinks. A large earth elemental rises up out of the ground and swings at the one that Peacekeeper just struck.

Let's see if a flanking buddy helps the others out. Using summon elemental to bring in a large earth elemental at A6-B7. It swings at the lilend that Peacekeeper attacked.
Slam 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Slam 2: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

Hyperion
2011-05-10, 11:08 AM
The earth elemental manages to put down the first Lillend by smashing against his back and have the creature fall. The second one is there and standing ready to fight to his last breath.

GFawkes
2011-05-10, 11:21 AM
Kira points at the creature and performs a quick gesture. A light blue energy crackles from her hand and heads for the remaining lilend.

No move action, I can only use eldritch blast once/round

Using a Hellrime Blast on the Lilend.
To Hit (Touch):
[roll0]
Spell Resistance Overcome?:
[roll1]
Damage (cold):
[roll2]

Hellrime Blast does cold damage, and forces a Fortitude save (DC 30). Failing the save results in -4 DEX for ten minutes.

Hyperion
2011-05-10, 11:23 AM
The lillend takes a cold blast to the middle of the chest while it does hurt the creature, this doesn't stop it from fighting.

No spell resistance rolls needed.
fort save:
[roll0]

Killerloop
2011-05-10, 01:53 PM
"It is with a sad heart that I have to do this, but I can't tolerate violence without even word to avoid it. Surrender IF you have still time"

You see Arthur literally flourish his falchion as he tries to cut powerfully with its sharp blade. He is very sad about this course of action.

Move action to go near enemy
Standard attack:

Power attacking for 5
To hit: [roll0]
To confirm eventual crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]+10 from Power Attack

Hyperion
2011-05-10, 03:41 PM
Arthur attempts to attack the lillend by moving closer to it and land a hit as the Lillend see the cleric coming and does a tail slap right at him.

Tail Slap (Still with power attack 5 this round)
[roll0]
[roll1]
grapple check from improved grab: (not sure if you have freedom of movement active)
[roll2]

If successful,constrict:
[roll3]

Keld Denar
2011-05-10, 07:30 PM
Kam

Dagger flying out from the swarm around the man, Kam tumbles forward while drawing his dagger to flank with the earth elemental.

Free action
[roll0] [roll1]
Move action
[roll2]
Standard action
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
EDIT: Add 2 to that for flanking.

Hyperion
2011-05-10, 07:59 PM
The lillend fell as soon as it started his attempt to take down the adventurers but this is not quite over yet. You can hear commotion the troops are rallying and would be to your position very soon.

Still in combat rounds, you have two rounds before the first wave reinforcements.
You can try to move ahead and fight them or just ready yourselves for the upcoming encounters.

Keld Denar
2011-05-10, 08:11 PM
Kam

Kam casts a Grease spell on the space 5' in front of Peacekeeper, then vanishes from sight.

Grease in round 1, then Greater Invisibility in round 2 with a hide check.
[roll0], and with Darkstalker, that check defeats Blindsense/sight, Tremorsense, and all that jazz.

Toliudar
2011-05-10, 08:47 PM
Ixtabe pats Peacekeeper reassuringly on the shoulder.

"Nice work everyone. Once they come into view, I'll scoop up the back ones in a cloud to delay em, and let you all focus on the front. Maybe this will help..."

She slides down off of Peacekeeper, and finds a place among the lillends' cushions. She accelerates everyone's reflexes, and then tucks down into the cushions to hide. The elemental slides into the wall next to the entrance of the tunnel where the noise is coming from, just part of his face still protruding.

Round 1, casts Haste on everyone, and move over to the cushions. Elemental moves into the wall.

Round 2, move action to hide: [roll0]. Not as impressive as Kam, but with the same darkstalker extras. Readies an action to cast Solid fog, centred 20' back from the edge of the grease, as soon as the second opponent reaches the area where the grease is. Elemental readies an action to punch an opponent that passes within reach: [roll1] attack, [roll2] damage.

Killerloop
2011-05-11, 03:51 AM
"Yeah, pretty nice work" said an embarassed Arthur after the fumble with his falchion.

He stands his ground near Peacekeeper, and begin concentrating to harness the power of Pelor.

Round 1: Casting Magic Circle of Protection against Chaos centered on Arthur
Round 2: Casting Divine Power

GFawkes
2011-05-11, 11:19 AM
Kira heads to the far corner of the room, preparing to release her eldritch energy.

So that's a full move (potentially) to get to the corner farthest from the doorway, followed by readying an action.

Toliudar
2011-05-16, 08:57 PM
Ixtabe prays fervently to the couatl gods and goddesses for the ongoing health and vitality of this thread.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-23, 09:05 AM
Peacekeeper stands watch, waiting for the commotion of battle to come to the construct. As it waits, it reconstructs previous battles in its memory and programs itself with a few more maneuvers.

OOC ACTIONS:
Ready action: White Raven Hammer on threatened creature that takes hostile action against Peacekeeper or allies.
Immediate Action: Shield Counter if a creature attacks an ally.
ROLLS:

[roll0] forgot that a maneuver was granted at the end of the last round.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] in case of duplicates
[roll4] in case of duplicates