PDA

View Full Version : Web Filter Rage *WARNING RANT INSIDE*

Squareman97
2011-04-15, 10:39 AM
I'm sure that all of us have experienced something like this in our lifetime:
Work/School has some kind of web filter. It blocks just about everything. EVERYTHING. I am not frikking kidding. I tried using a web proxy to get by it. The filter blocked the proxy because it contained "proxy avoidance". Surprisingly, it does not block facebook. The reason being is that all the teachers do all day is play frikkin farmville or whatever the hell they do on facebook. They urge that we don't go on facebook, but when we say why don't you just block it, they completely avoid the question. As they do a lot of things. Why do you have an Xbox360 in the office, for example. Anyway, I cannot get on many websites, even ones that I need for research because they are blocked for advertising. Advertising is really going to scar us for life. In high school. Seriously, what the {Scrubbed}? I can barely get on GitP, but I cannot use java and or flash content. I need a web proxy that works. One that is not blocked. And one that shows all flash and java. Especially java. HELP ME PLEASE! I need this for my research for school. I will fail school and not only that but school is boring as hell. I have a horrible stupid school that you would be appalled to hear about. Anyway, if anyone knows a web browser and or web proxy that is not blocked and shows flash/java, please find it in you to help me.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-15, 11:15 AM
. Anyway, I cannot get on many websites, even ones that I need for research because they are blocked for advertising.

Have you tried pointing this out to them?

Sacrieur
2011-04-15, 11:31 AM
There's also the ability to do your homework/research at home?

I spent all my free time in school doing paper/book work and time at home doing digital work.

NerfTW
2011-04-15, 11:35 AM
Not everyone has web access at home.

That said, the correct way to go about this, as has been said, is to talk to your teachers and IT department about unblocking the sites you need. Not posting a profanity laden rant under a sock puppet account asking how to go around the filter.

Also, of course your filter blocks sites on how to get around it. Why wouldn't it? :smallconfused:

Killer Angel
2011-04-15, 12:01 PM
I need this for my research for school.

Suggestion n. 1: talk to your teachers.
Suggestion n. 2: do home research.
Suggestion n. 3: report your own thread and ask to a Mod, to move this thread in Friendly Banter, which seems more appropriate.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-15, 12:07 PM
For those without home internet access, there's always library access. It may be slow, and it may also have some degree of filtering...but generally a completely different set of filters.

Them's the breaks when you're using someone else's connection.

Claudius Maximus
2011-04-15, 12:25 PM
Get them to fix the research thing. That seems like it could be a problem.

Otherwise, you are not entitled to internet access beyond what the school gives you, and you should not attempt to circumvent their filters just to screw around on gaming forums, as these things are likely violations of the school's policies. You're there to learn. [/futureteacher]

Maxios
2011-04-15, 12:51 PM
Not to be rude, but I think this may be in the wrong section of the forums.

Dvandemon
2011-04-15, 01:40 PM
Trashmarker; you can even join the mailing list in case that goes down

Icewalker
2011-04-15, 02:09 PM
A note: I suspect it is unlikely that the school is capable of changing the filter. They probably get it from an external source, a company or the like. Although from the descriptions of the teachers and facebook, maybe it is local?

Maelstrom
2011-04-15, 02:41 PM
Use a VPN...

NerfTW
2011-04-15, 03:40 PM
A note: I suspect it is unlikely that the school is capable of changing the filter. They probably get it from an external source, a company or the like. Although from the descriptions of the teachers and facebook, maybe it is local?

A filter that cannot be changed by the client would be completely worthless. Of course they're capable of changing it. I cannot think of a single time I've ever heard of a filter that isn't customizable.

CrimsonAngel
2011-04-15, 03:48 PM
I add an s to http:// so it's https:// . That seems to work for youtube and facebook, but I've never used it anywhere else, since i'm such a perfect student. I'm going to go procrastinate or something...

Leecros
2011-04-15, 04:28 PM
If you don't have access to internet at your home then ask someone you know who does. If it's really a pass or fail situation then they'll probably help you, or go to the local library. Most of the time their internet is unblocked for that very reason.

If this is an issue of you being in school and having a project due that day and you're attempting to finish up all of the research for it during your off-time at school(i have done this more than i'll admit) then i suggest working on not procrastinating.

Crow
2011-04-15, 04:34 PM
Anybody have any idea why sections of the GitP forums are being blocked for me? By "sections" I mean sometimes entire sub-forums (which somehow are later allowed, then dis-allowed again at random), to certain threads, and even certain pages within threads, while allowing others.

"Games" seems to be the term they don't like, but I've never had a problem here in the past.

NerfTW
2011-04-15, 05:14 PM
Well, going off of how Websense works, if you're constantly going to one page, it will get flagged, blocked, and then the person controlling it has the option to unblock it.

Or it could be that something on the page itself triggered the flag.

There's a lot of reasons, mostly some variation of it being flagged and then unblocked once it's been reviewed.

Roland St. Jude
2011-04-15, 06:02 PM
Sheriff: This is not really a board issue nor is it something we're in a position to help you with. Also, please don't use profanity or circumvent the filter here to do so. Thread locked.