PDA

View Full Version : Ok...if that is thog...

torugo
2011-04-15, 07:26 PM
where is Nale?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-15, 07:33 PM
The elf ambassador is Sabine.

blazingshadow
2011-04-15, 07:46 PM
a more prudent question would be why is tarquin not sharing his info about nale to elan. one would think that he might warn his son of someone trying to kill him. then again everything is probably going according to plan and tarquin would never do something that would screw the drama buildup

IronWilliam
2011-04-15, 07:47 PM
Shouldn't Tarquin recognize Thog? And if he does know who Thog is, shouldn't he be searching for Nale?

Prime32
2011-04-15, 07:49 PM
Obviously Tarquin is actually Nale from the future in disguise.

Fish
2011-04-15, 08:06 PM
Or Tarquin is just ... Nale. From the present.

We know Nale was coming to this continent in search of the Gate; we have seen that Tarquin (if it is him) knows of Girard Draketooth (keeper of a Gate) and what he looks like.

We know that Nale was defeated last time by Elan's puns; we have seen that Tarquin (if it is him) has coincidentally taken the capability of defending against puns.

We know that the last gate (the last where Nale was known to be) had required the presence of someone "pure at heart" in order to activate the sigil; perhaps Nale simply came here and set about waiting for Elan to come to him. In fact, since he knew that the Order of the Stick would get around to this Gate eventually, perhaps Nale even went to the trouble of putting out a reward poster looking for "Nale." Of course Nale would be in no danger from that, if he were disguised as Tarquin the whole time; Elan would be the only one the bounty hunters would ever capture.

Is this at all probable? Up until the appearance of Thog I would have said it's impossible. But Nale's plans do tend to be convoluted.

P.S. If I had to put my money on where Sabine was, it'd be Kil Kil, the kobold on the platform with Tarquin and Haley and Elan et al. And we only know that the green-haired elf is an ambassador because Tarquin said so.

Thanatosia
2011-04-15, 08:11 PM
There is no possible way Tarquin = Nale in disguise. None. At. All. Maybe if 'Spins of the Father', 'Yes, Appearantly' and 'Plotting something' hadn't happened I could believe it, but the dialogue from Tarquin in those strips would never come from Nale's Mouth.

FujinAkari
2011-04-15, 08:22 PM
Indeed, Tarquin is entirely too competent to be Nale... not to mention that Tarquin has too much confirmed history here.

MoonCat
2011-04-15, 08:38 PM

Sabine can't change the color of her skin.

Tarquin is Nale in disguise.

Nale could never insult himself (he blew the twin trick because of his ego), know all that, do so well, or pretty much anything Tarquin's achieved.

Ryerbiar
2011-04-15, 08:40 PM

Possible, but one question

Why glare at Vaarsuvius and not Haley? Sabine hates Haley the most out of all of the group, so it makes sense that Sabine would ignore Vaarsuvius and instead glare at Haley.

I think maybe Vaarsuvius dealings with evil outsiders has been spread throughout the elven lands.

Besides, I don't see Nale rescuing Throg unless an easy opportunity presented it's self, after all, Nale is a selfish prick.

martianmister
2011-04-15, 08:48 PM
Why glare at Vaarsuvius and not Haley? Sabine hates Haley the most out of all of the group, so it makes sense that Sabine would ignore Vaarsuvius and instead glare at Haley

Maybe she glare at all members of OOTS, not just V?

And I think, Nale = Elf theory is more plausible.

torugo
2011-04-15, 09:11 PM
I really doubt that Nale=Tarquin, if they are the same it would be a pitty cause Tarquin is way too cool. Also...for Nale to be Tarquin he would have to:
1- Kill the real Tarquin
2- Find a way to fool Malack.
3- Keep coordinating the empire

Remember that Nale never liked Tarquin scheme to begin with. Were him to take Tarquin's place, he would probably just destroy the entire scheme and kill the empress of blood.

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-15, 09:41 PM
Nale can't be far, we know that for sure. The real question is, how close is he?

Jay R
2011-04-15, 09:46 PM
Shouldn't Tarquin recognize Thog? And if he does know who Thog is, shouldn't he be searching for Nale?

If he's being true to the character as we know him, Tarquin does recognize Thog, he's not looking for Nale because he knows exactly where Nale is, and he's several steps ahead of everybody in both his collected information and his plans.

Jay R
2011-04-15, 09:54 PM
a more prudent question would be why is tarquin not sharing his info about nale to elan.

Tarquin will be happy to discuss it with him -- AFTER the festival (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0727.html).

Ridureyu
2011-04-15, 09:57 PM
Or Tarquin was really a wuss, Nale killed him, and is doing a bang-up job being a villain for once?

But then it turns out Nale is actually a horse.

No, actually a broom.

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-15, 10:35 PM
I think the Linear Guild has quadrupled in efficiency. Just look, Thog is learning how to use articles!

TriForce
2011-04-15, 10:55 PM
hes where he has been all along, in the shadows next to tarquin. nale is the reason tarquin learned of girard, thog is in the arena in order to kill roy, and tarquin didnt kill elan becouse he made a deal with nale that states nale will be the one that gets to kill him.

Leecros
2011-04-15, 11:37 PM
Or Tarquin was really a wuss, Nale killed him, and is doing a bang-up job being a villain for once?

No, actually a broom.

No wait! Nale is the guard talking to Roy!
No, no! Wait! Nale is Malack!
NO! Wait! Nale is the Allosaurus!
NO! WAIT! Nale is that rock! In the background!

~Leecros's Brain EX-ploooodes~

Half-orc Bard
2011-04-16, 01:17 AM
I just wonder who the lizard cleric guy is?

harmsc12
2011-04-16, 01:28 AM
It seems the epileptic trees have already sprouted in this thread...

JaxGaret
2011-04-16, 01:31 AM
I just wonder who the lizard cleric guy is?

He's obviously the Oracle... in disguise.

Juggling Goth
2011-04-16, 02:10 AM
Obviously, everybody and everything is Girard. Epic illusionist, remember?

dehro
2011-04-16, 02:31 AM
where is Nale?

:thog:who cares?:smallamused:...it's smash-time

can't she or has she simply not bothered to, so far?

I actually didn't see that coming (by that I mean thog of course)... so I'm pleasantly surprised and will leave the theories as to nale's whereabouts to the next pannels where I anticipate thog himself will tell us all about it.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 02:31 AM
Obviously, everybody and everything is Girard. Epic illusionist, remember?

For almost 800 strips, we've been following a party entirely composed of Girard, fighting antagonists also composed of Girard, in a system designed by Girard. The gods are Girard. The snarl is Girard. The world is Girard. The universe is Girard.

You look down and your hands are Girard. You look in the mirror and the mirror is Girard. You look at yourself and you are Girard. Everything is Girard. Everything is Girard. Everything is Girard.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-16, 02:45 AM

Do we know this? She could just be lazy and uncreative. Maybe Nale told her finally change it. This would be kind of funny if lampshaded.

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-16, 02:50 AM
It seems the epileptic trees have already sprouted in this thread...
I don't think Leeky is showing up this time.

King of Nowhere
2011-04-16, 04:06 AM
I think Tarquin should have definiutely recognized thog.
Maybe Thog got separated from nale somehow, and ended up in jail. I suppose thog got himself arrested ffor trivial reasons, then tarquin recognized him the first time he showed up in the arena, but he saw no reason to change his destination. Either way, Tarquin would have probably looked for Nale around.
But, the chance nale is disguised somehow around is high enough.

Morgan Wick
2011-04-16, 04:07 AM
a more prudent question would be why is tarquin not sharing his info about nale to elan. one would think that he might warn his son of someone trying to kill him. then again everything is probably going according to plan and tarquin would never do something that would screw the drama buildup

Maybe Thog got separated from nale somehow, and ended up in jail. I suppose thog got himself arrested ffor trivial reasons, then tarquin recognized him the first time he showed up in the arena, but he saw no reason to change his destination. Either way, Tarquin would have probably looked for Nale around.
But, the chance nale is disguised somehow around is high enough.

788:
:haley: :smalleek:/:elan: :smallbiggrin:: Oh my gods!
:haley:: Elan, do you realize who that is?
:elan:: The guy who broke me out of jail?
:haley:: How did he survive the castle? Elan, do you realize what this means?
:elan:: Maybe he has super-prison-escaping powers...
:haley:: Elan, if Thog could escape the tower, Sabine and your brother could as well, and they could be somewhere around here! With the huge festival Tarquin's holding in your honor, they know you're around here too and could be plotting against us as we speak! In fact, if Tarquin's been holding Thog here all this time... I wonder if he knows Thog's an associate of Nale? Wait, wasn't his name on that wanted poster?
:vaarsuvius:: If Thog took part in the rebellion Nale carried out against his father, it is unclear to me why Tarquin would not endeavor to execute him as soon as he had him in his custody.
:haley:: Wait, if Tarquin's known all along that Nale might be alive, why didn't he try to warn us?

Elan then proceeds to ask a series of desperate questions of his father. I don't expect the actual fight to get going until 789, unless Rich pulls another round of 784-esque cross-cutting on us, but that would be awfully quick and it would lose the impact, and the use of it would probably give away the arrival of the Linear Guild at the end, since that's the only thing that would link the two threads together.

M.A.D
2011-04-16, 04:29 AM
Since it's Nale we're talking about, whatever plot he's got can never be complicated enough. Disguising himself as Tarquin might actually be plausible. Since he's part of the family, Nale would have known Tarquin's game AND his personality well enough to take on the act, and disguising as someone else to increase the level of despair is very Nale-ish since it was precedented.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 04:30 AM
Since it's Nale we're talking about, whatever plot he's got can never be complicated enough. Disguising himself as Tarquin might actually be plausible. Since he's part of the family, Nale would have known Tarquin's game AND his personality well enough to take on the act, and disguising as someone else to increase the level of despair is very Nale-ish since it was precedented.

Suddenly, we discover the REAL reason Amun-Zora left Tarquin's room in a panic.

Ancalagon
2011-04-16, 04:46 AM

I say ridiculous. Nale screwed up acting as Elan. There are so many totally braindead things Nale did - the first was calling Belkar "Belkon" etc. There is no way in hell that Nale coult act like Tarquin in a consistent matter, including a psycology that is so different from his own.

While I agree that Nale is "around somewhere" I find it highly, highly unlikely the theory "Tarquin got replaced by Nale" has any root.
Now, Tarquin working with Nale for some reason might be more plausible. Remember that Nale knows all about the Snarl-issue and you cannot tell me having such a superweapon at hand would not be something Tarquin would find "interesting".

Maybe Nale does not work with Tarquin and is fleeing/in jail - but it becomes more and more likely Tarquin is very aware of what is going on (Girard, the Gates... he might have tortured Nale etc).

ThePhantasm
2011-04-16, 05:38 AM
I say ridiculous. Nale screwed up acting as Elan. There are so many totally braindead things Nale did - the first was calling Belkar "Belkon" etc. There is no way in hell that Nale coult act like Tarquin in a consistent matter, including a psycology that is so different from his own.

I agree. It seems more likely that Nale and Tarquin have reached a new agreement, and are both looking to double cross each other to their advantage. Or perhaps that has already happened, given that Thog is locked away.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-16, 05:40 AM

Don't forget that he would have to fool Malack, an old friend of Tarquin's who also hates Nale with a passion.

dehro
2011-04-16, 06:10 AM

we don't know he didn't.
we also know nale has no compunction in leaving thog behind on occasion (think back to thog and elan in jail together)
for all we know they have parted ways and thog got a job offer from tarquin as gladiator-smasher.
half a panel with thog acting like a jack-in-the-box is a bit too little to start talking about new plots and all.. which however may well be afoot.

Dalek-K
2011-04-16, 08:05 AM
But that isn't Thog! The "Thog" is actually under illusion to show the enemy who they hate most.

No not Elan, why?

Because Roy breaks the big dumb fighter mold and Thog reinforces the big dumb fighter stereotype. Along with being evil, Thog is a personal hit against Roy's whole being. It even plays off Roy's insecurities of his father looking down on him. Deep down Roy could be afraid that he will end up or actually is the big dumb fighter stereotype.

So Nale and the rest of the Guild aren't going to show up... Or they do and they wonder why there are two Thogs. Thog will then attack "not-Thog" confusing everyone and blowing the Guild's cover.

Lawliet29
2011-04-16, 08:18 AM
We don't know the events subsequent to Linear Guild's Azure City jailbreak, but, following the idea of party separation, Guild could be splitted as well. Of course, if Thog has just appeared, we have only to wait for explanations:smallwink:

Jay R
2011-04-16, 08:43 AM
Nale and Sabine have been moved into position, as we've known since strip 668 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html). I admit that I expected them to show up near the gate, but destructive unnecessary conflict is called for in an arena, and that's pretty much all they do.

(Has anybody else noticed that, following the "evil opposites" theme, Ian falsely assumed that the Order of the Stick were just unknowing pawns of Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0769.html), while the Linear Guild really are unknowing pawns of Sabine?)

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-16, 08:48 AM
Do we know this? She could just be lazy and uncreative.
Considering she couldn't get the colour of the CPPD logo right and was the only "citizen" of Azure City wearing a red dress, it seems much more likely that she can't change colour.

She's a shapeshifter, not a chameleon. :smallwink:

super dark33
2011-04-16, 08:51 AM
the elf ambassedor is a new mage of the linear guild, not a mirror image of V, but still a linear guild member,
maybe.

Lawliet29
2011-04-16, 09:14 AM
the elf ambassedor is a new mage of the linear guild, not a mirror image of V, but still a linear guild member,
maybe.
The chance is little bit more then diminutive, since we don't know
ambassador's class, which is presumably aristocrat:smallsmile:

KillItWithFire
2011-04-16, 09:26 AM
maybe.

Come on I was just about to post this. :smallannoyed: But yeah, the Linear Guild needed some new members (again) and someone who has greviences speciffically against V seem to fit the bill. Maybe kikil is their yok-yok replacement. :smallbiggrin: So now the only question is... What will Kikil's head become? (My money is on Scruffy's litterbox.)

hobbitkniver
2011-04-16, 11:09 AM

Anything could be Sabine.

ThePhantasm
2011-04-16, 11:24 AM
Anything could be Sabine.

Not from what we've seen in the comic.

She can't change her skin color, for example.

Clertar
2011-04-16, 11:41 AM
The "elf embassador" is the new replacement for V's evil counterpart in the LG http://islamfactor.org/public/style_emoticons/default/eyebrows.gif

xD

dehro
2011-04-16, 11:44 AM
Considering she couldn't get the colour of the CPPD logo right and was the only "citizen" of Azure City wearing a red dress, it seems much more likely that she can't change colour.

nuh..all that says is that she likes red

you might as well claim she's colour blind.

ThePhantasm
2011-04-16, 11:49 AM
The "elf embassador" is the new replacement for V's evil counterpart in the LG http://islamfactor.org/public/style_emoticons/default/eyebrows.gif

xD

Nale said he didn't want any more dead weight on the team. So it is unlikely.

Lord Raziere
2011-04-16, 11:52 AM
Not from what we've seen in the comic.

wrong, remember when she snuck into azure city? her skin was white, a pale geisha white.

harmsc12
2011-04-16, 11:53 AM
Sabine had other business. The Elf Embassador is her temporary stand-in.

Yendor
2011-04-16, 12:01 PM
wrong, remember when she snuck into azure city? her skin was white, a pale geisha white.

Wrong. That's not her skin, it's makeup. Her skin is quite clearly dark.

Dvandemon
2011-04-16, 12:07 PM

No, actually a broom.

Oh, I see what you did there >.>

Herald Alberich
2011-04-16, 12:17 PM

Even though it worked, wearing red in a city where everyone only wears blue was a pretty boneheaded move unless she didn't have a choice in the matter.

Vemynal
2011-04-16, 12:29 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0784.html
Comic 784...there is a black skinned humanoid wearing a helmet sitting right next to the elvish ambassador. This character is the only guard up on the balcony

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-16, 12:33 PM

If you want me to accept that Sabine CAN change her colours, I'll need to see some evidence of it. I haven't so far, but I can give you six different examples that back up my position.

Is it possible that she can? Sure. But there's not a shred of in-comic proof; quite the opposite.

You are aware that geishas wear facepaint, right? And I never once claimed that Sabine can't do white when it comes to costume. That would be a silly claim.

RunicLGB
2011-04-16, 12:41 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0784.html
Comic 784...there is a black skinned humanoid wearing a helmet sitting right next to the elvish ambassador. This character is the only guard up on the balcony

Wow thats actually...huh.

Well then I'll throw a crazy theory into the mix: The elf ambassador is Nale via alterself or some other illusion. If we give Nale enough benefit of the doubt to say he is learning from past mistakes he might have decided a disquise which involves him not talking would be the safest bet.

JonestheSpy
2011-04-16, 12:50 PM
You are aware that geishas wear facepaint, right? And I never once claimed that Sabine can't do white when it comes to costume. That would be a silly claim.

Actually, if you look back at the strips in question it's very clear she's wearing white makeup over dark skin. You can see her normal tone on her neck and shoulders in a lot of those panels.

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-16, 01:53 PM
Actually, if you look back at the strips in question it's very clear she's wearing white makeup over dark skin. You can see her normal tone on her neck and shoulders in a lot of those panels.
Yeah, I know. That's kinda the point I've been making all along.

dehro
2011-04-16, 02:09 PM
wearing red in a city where everyone only wears blue

tsukiko?
lord Kubota and some of his minions/ninjas (therkla)?
grounds enough to say that other colours are actually accepted wear in azure city, and that it may be a case of wearing the colour of one's family/clan/house/allegiance.. we don't get to see many because all most of the people we do see are either military or otherwise in service of the city, and therefore wear the colour.

King of Nowhere
2011-04-16, 03:27 PM

Maybe Sabine can't change the olor of her skin (even if the idea of her changing everything but not that seems foolish), but if she can create mnakeup inj her shapeshifting, then she can shapeshift into a black woman who has makeup ALL OVER her body to look white. So, basically she CAN appear pale if she want, even if she has to do it in an indirect way.

grimbold
2011-04-16, 04:29 PM
Or Tarquin is just ... Nale. From the present.

We know Nale was coming to this continent in search of the Gate; we have seen that Tarquin (if it is him) knows of Girard Draketooth (keeper of a Gate) and what he looks like.

We know that Nale was defeated last time by Elan's puns; we have seen that Tarquin (if it is him) has coincidentally taken the capability of defending against puns.

We know that the last gate (the last where Nale was known to be) had required the presence of someone "pure at heart" in order to activate the sigil; perhaps Nale simply came here and set about waiting for Elan to come to him. In fact, since he knew that the Order of the Stick would get around to this Gate eventually, perhaps Nale even went to the trouble of putting out a reward poster looking for "Nale." Of course Nale would be in no danger from that, if he were disguised as Tarquin the whole time; Elan would be the only one the bounty hunters would ever capture.

Is this at all probable? Up until the appearance of Thog I would have said it's impossible. But Nale's plans do tend to be convoluted.

P.S. If I had to put my money on where Sabine was, it'd be Kil Kil, the kobold on the platform with Tarquin and Haley and Elan et al. And we only know that the green-haired elf is an ambassador because Tarquin said so.

this is convoluted and awesome
truly awesome

i honestly think that this is a decent theory

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-16, 05:52 PM
I think Sabine's colour "limitations" are strictly for reader convenience.

Could you imagine if Sabine didn't have red eyes when she was a policeman? There'd be people going, "Who is that policeman walking with Pompey, and why is CPPD red on his armour?" Or if Sabine looked like an actual Azurite. "Why is this random drunk woman finishing Sabine's sentence? And why does she seem to have special powers? Why did the comic stop thinking for me?"

After all, why does she have red eyes as the policeman? That only happens when she shows her fiendish/angry side. My guess is Rich figured it barely looked like Sabine so he kept the red eyes to avoid confusion.

John Cribati
2011-04-16, 06:02 PM

She doesn't change her skin color. There's no evidence that she can't.

RunicLGB
2011-04-17, 12:28 AM

The Problem is there is no evidence that she CAN either, since she never has.

And although that could be for reader convenience, why would Rich choose now to break tradition?

Red XIV
2011-04-17, 12:45 AM
Even if the skin & eye color is for readers' benefit, that doesn't mean the characters can't see it too. After all, they can see the color of speech balloons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html).

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-17, 02:06 AM
Even if the skin & eye color is for readers' benefit, that doesn't mean the characters can't see it too. After all, they can see the color of speech balloons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html).
Of course they can. I'm not saying only the readers see it. What I'm saying is basically the same as when people say "because the Plot demands it" or "Rule of Plot" to answer why a character did X action.

If Sabine can change her hair and skin tone, why doesn't she? Because it simply makes for a smoother read. :smallwink:

See also: Thog, Gannji, and Ian's loincloths matching their regular clothes, Belkar getting green gladiator armour, V turning into a purple lizard, etc.

LuPuWei
2011-04-17, 02:28 AM
Of course they can. I'm not saying only the readers see it. What I'm saying is basically the same as when people say "because the Plot demands it" or "Rule of Plot" to answer why a character did X action.

If Sabine can change her hair and skin tone, why doesn't she? Because it simply makes for a smoother read. :smallwink:

See also: Thog, Gannji, and Ian's loincloths matching their regular clothes, Belkar getting green gladiator armour, V turning into a purple lizard, etc.

Except, consider the case of the Blacksmith. It would really have made sense for her to match his skin tone if she was going to impersonate him. But she didn't.

On an unrelated note, I'm wondering whether or not the present comic also gives us an idea of Thog's background. I mean, how did Nale and Thog meet anyway? What if Thog really was just some kid peeing on a Western sidewalk and got thrown in prison where he learned how to fight and developed a taste for murder?

We assume he's in jail because of a crime he committed now, but it would explain the forty wins and Thog's mental state better if it turns out that Thog's been working Tarquin's arena for quite a long time, and in fact it was in this way that he met Nale and happened to join him in an attempt to coup. It would also explain why he's back in the arena after the coup instead of just dead at Tarquin's hands.

dehro
2011-04-17, 04:33 AM
I'm still going to say that her being colour blind (or more likely not bothered) is a possibility just like "she can't do it", until I read a comic stating one way or the other..

snikrept
2011-04-17, 06:01 AM

That... makes a lot of sense actually. But why is she glaring at Vaarsuvius instead of at Haley all the time?

The Succubus
2011-04-17, 06:07 AM
Ummm.....if things are going to get convoluted, why isn't the ambassador chick (the future Mrs Tarquin) Sabine? Skin colour and hair colour are right, she willingly went to bed with Tarquin/Nale. Perhaps the reason she looked shocked to see Elan the next morning was because he might have overheard them discussing Nale's plan, whatever it might be.

factotum
2011-04-17, 06:36 AM
Skin colour and hair colour are right, she willingly went to bed with Tarquin/Nale.

No she didn't--Tarquin said himself that nothing happened between them, and he'd have no reason to hide it if he were Nale. Perhaps more to the point, did you happen to miss the strip where said "ambassador chick" tried to *kill* Tarquin?

Kish
2011-04-17, 07:06 AM
Good lord. Nale is not Tarquin. In case you haven't noticed, Nale is actually a really bad actor, who got away with his lies in the two cases he did because only one member of the OotS has any ranks in Sense Motive, and the second time she was deliberately not looking him in the mouth.

Innis Cabal
2011-04-17, 07:12 AM
The Problem is there is no evidence that she CAN either, since she never has.

And although that could be for reader convenience, why would Rich choose now to break tradition?

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person refuting it.

The Succubus
2011-04-17, 08:15 AM
No she didn't--Tarquin said himself that nothing happened between them, and he'd have no reason to hide it if he were Nale. Perhaps more to the point, did you happen to miss the strip where said "ambassador chick" tried to *kill* Tarquin?

I had a feeling someone might bring this up. But if you're known for having extremely convoluted plans, what's a little misdirection, especially if it's going to throw people off your scent?

The Pilgrim
2011-04-17, 10:53 AM
It wouldn't make much sense for Nale to infiltrate a polymorphed Sabine in the court of his father, given that the Old Man has a high level Cleric in the payroll. Among other devices to detect a fiend that his father might have at hand.

Specially since the appearing of Thog should have rang a bell in Tarquin's head.

It would make more sense for Nale to infiltrate his new kobold or his new elven wizard, since at least they wouldn't be known associates of him to his father.

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-17, 01:49 PM
Maybe Sabine can't change the olor of her skin (even if the idea of her changing everything but not that seems foolish), but if she can create mnakeup inj her shapeshifting, then she can shapeshift into a black woman who has makeup ALL OVER her body to look white. So, basically she CAN appear pale if she want, even if she has to do it in an indirect way.
Well, here's a Google image search for geishas (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=geisha&rlz=1B2RNFA_enGB211GB211&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=586). Let me know if you can find one you think has genuine white skin, and I'll have a look and see whether I can tell if it's makeup. :smalltongue:

So Sabine can make all her skin completely white if she wants. Which character in the Empire of Blood with completely white skin do you propose Sabine is masquerading as? The shortlist must be tiny.

I think Sabine's colour "limitations" are strictly for reader convenience.

Could you imagine if Sabine didn't have red eyes when she was a policeman? There'd be people going, "Who is that policeman walking with Pompey, and why is CPPD red on his armour?"
Reader convenience would in no way be troubled if Sabine had red eyes and the correct blue logo. The eyes likely ARE for reader convenience, but they alone would be enough. She doesn't need a red uniform too.

Or if Sabine looked like an actual Azurite. "Why is this random drunk woman finishing Sabine's sentence? And why does she seem to have special powers? Why did the comic stop thinking for me?"
We saw Sabine change into that form in the first place, and we saw her plotting with Nale in that form since. Any reader who has forgotten all this by the time of the scene with V likely wouldn't have their memory jogged by seeing a red dress.

There's no evidence that Haley can't change colour at will either, but I'll continue to assume it until I see otherwise.

Yes, this is a key point against anyone using the "reader convenience" line, and one I've yet to see anyone address.

Ummm.....if things are going to get convoluted, why isn't the ambassador chick (the future Mrs Tarquin) Sabine? Skin colour and hair colour are right
Hair colour, yes. But Amun-Zora's skin is quite a bit darker than Sabine's.