PDA

View Full Version : In a hole in the ground there lived...

Trog
2011-04-15, 07:39 PM
a Hobbit. (http://www.moviepilot.de/movies/the-hobbit-2/trailer)

^_^

Filming has begun and here's a link (http://www.thehobbitblog.com/) to the film's official blog.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-15, 07:41 PM
Does he live in the land of the Shire and is he a brave little Hobbit whom we all admire? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04)

Looking forward to this.

Traab
2011-04-15, 07:44 PM
Im glad they apparently have worked out the issues with making this film. The hobbit was pretty cool.

Syka
2011-04-15, 10:54 PM
I heard from one of my managers that it is going to be two films.

Truth?

I don't care, I love the Hobbit+Trilogy, and I loved Peter Jackson's Trilogy. I'm sure I'll love his rendition of the Hobbit.

Also...buying all four books as a nookbook soon. So glad I can carry them all around without worry. :) My physical copies are (literally) falling apart because they are about twice my age.

Traab
2011-04-15, 11:02 PM
I heard from one of my managers that it is going to be two films.

Truth?

I don't care, I love the Hobbit+Trilogy, and I loved Peter Jackson's Trilogy. I'm sure I'll love his rendition of the Hobbit.

Also...buying all four books as a nookbook soon. So glad I can carry them all around without worry. :) My physical copies are (literally) falling apart because they are about twice my age.

I have the 4 book set on audio as a british radio show. Full musical score, voice actors, sound effects, etc. Its freaking AWESOME.

Fjolnir
2011-04-15, 11:10 PM
I heard 2 movies due to the sheer amount of info that the hobbit has within it. My thing is where would the first half end? I think it would be after the One Ring changes hands but before the forest elves. So probably Beorn's forest would be the best part.

Ichneumon
2011-04-16, 03:49 AM
I like this.

factotum
2011-04-16, 04:29 AM
I heard 2 movies due to the sheer amount of info that the hobbit has within it. My thing is where would the first half end? I think it would be after the One Ring changes hands but before the forest elves. So probably Beorn's forest would be the best part.

Actually, as I understand it the first movie will cover the events of the book while the second one is going to link the Hobbit with LOTR, so they've not split it into two to accommodate the book at all. (Wouldn't be likely that they would, anyway--the Hobbit is less than a third the length of LOTR, which they managed to do in 3 films).

ThePhantasm
2011-04-16, 08:08 AM
Actually, as I understand it the first movie will cover the events of the book while the second one is going to link the Hobbit with LOTR, so they've not split it into two to accommodate the book at all. (Wouldn't be likely that they would, anyway--the Hobbit is less than a third the length of LOTR, which they managed to do in 3 films).

Actually they changed their minds on that. What you said was the plan they were going to use when Guillermo Del Toro was directing. Now that Jackson is directing they've decided to split the book up.

Edit: Actually -- look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_%282012_film%29#Structure

Fredaintdead
2011-04-16, 08:21 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to this. I loved the Lord of the Rings movies and the books (including The Hobbit I mean), and I'm pretty psyched up for this. Please, for the love of all that is sacred, don't suck.

In conclusion: I'm happy with this. :smallbiggrin:

Delorges
2011-04-16, 10:07 AM
Read the trilogy and the Hobbit, liked them very much. I'm looking forward to the movie.^^

Yora
2011-04-16, 10:09 AM
Beorn really is a natural resting point in the novel. You pretty much have everything from the beginning nicely tied up, Bilbo has undergone his character development, and everyone is back toegether safe and sound.
And entering Mirkwood makes a nice starting point for the next movie.

I think it would be foolish to make the cut anywhere else.

Syka
2011-04-16, 11:06 AM
Apparently Tennant might have a role?

Yeah, looking at this cast plus it being Peter Jackson directing plus the source material...I'm not sure it could ever suck.

Trog
2011-04-16, 11:44 AM
I'm curious to see how they can differentiate the dwarves. Clearly some of them will need to fall into the background a bit as characters or it'd get overwhelming. I'd imagine they'd delegate some of them into more physical (i.e. fighting) roles and others as more characters. Beard style, color and clothing and (likely) weapons will help as well as voice acting I'd imagine.

They managed very well to differentiate between Merry and Pippin in the films. In reading the book Merry and Pippin felt too much alike. But it's a much bigger job to do that with 13 than with two. But I just wonder how they will shape their characters and which ones which ones will get pushed to the fore.

Beorn really is a natural resting point in the novel. You pretty much have everything from the beginning nicely tied up, Bilbo has undergone his character development, and everyone is back toegether safe and sound.
And entering Mirkwood makes a nice starting point for the next movie.

I think it would be foolish to make the cut anywhere else.
It really depends on what other stuff that occurs after the Hobbit and before the LotR that they want to include in the movie in a way.

If there isn't much, for my part, I'd cut it at their landing at the Carrock. You get the heroes out of the goblin warrens and away from the wargs and set on their feet again to continue their journey. Beorn could make for a good start to the second film as having the scenes with them sitting around and getting served food by woodland animals seems a weak way to end the movie after all the action with the goblins - even if Beorn is a bit threatening at first.

Though I could see the point of entering the Mirkwood when Gandalf leaves them as a good cut point too. The characters entering the dark woods having lost their leader and being very unsure of themselves.

Eruantion
2011-04-16, 12:02 PM
This is going to be amazing.

ThePhantom
2011-04-16, 12:07 PM
I'm curious to see how they can differentiate the dwarves. Clearly some of them will need to fall into the background a bit as characters or it'd get overwhelming. I'd imagine they'd delegate some of them into more physical (i.e. fighting) roles and others as more characters. Beard style, color and clothing and (likely) weapons will help as well as voice acting I'd imagine.

Well, Thorin of course will stick out, being the leader of the dwarves. Bombur being the fatest will also stick out. For the rest, likely color of clothing and beards will help keep them seperate.

Trog
2011-04-16, 12:27 PM
Well, Thorin of course will stick out, being the leader of the dwarves. Bombur being the fatest will also stick out. For the rest, likely color of clothing and beards will help keep them seperate.

Yeah Thorin and Bombur are probably going to be more character driven. Thorin for sure. Bombur could perhaps be comic relief? I could see Fili and Kili being more about fighting and action. Not sure about the other nine. Been a while since I last read the book.

Elaro
2011-04-16, 03:04 PM
Fili and Kili, being the youngest of the dwarves, are also the nicest to Bilbo.

factotum
2011-04-16, 03:40 PM
I'm curious to see how they can differentiate the dwarves. Clearly some of them will need to fall into the background a bit as characters or it'd get overwhelming.

Apart from Thorin and Bombur the dwarves were pretty much in the background for most of the book anyway--Bilbo was the hero, after all.

ThePhantom
2011-04-16, 03:55 PM
Um, Balin was the common lookout for the group, so he should have some parts.

ThePhantasm
2011-04-17, 01:43 PM
I suspect Gloin will stand out a bit too, him being Gimli's Dad and all.

Traab
2011-04-17, 05:03 PM
Wasnt dori the one who always saved bilbo? Like helping him into the trees, or carrying him in the mad dash from the goblins while underground? I see thorin bombur fili kili and dori being the most visible ones. The rest mostly just kinda were there. Fili and kili are more because of the twin aspect they will be noticeable. Bombur for the chunk factor and of course thorin being the boss.