PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Bardic Music?

Aemoh87
2011-04-15, 09:37 PM
Other than taking a level bard. If it takes up a class level make sure it is one that can advance sorcerer wizard or it will be useless to me, so close to finishing this character :) Thanks Gtip. Oh and if you want to know why I want Bardic Music, it's because I wanna use snowflake wardance with my yoda. Please mention where you found the source as well as any other nifty abilities it might give me.

Amnestic
2011-04-15, 09:42 PM
Virtuoso gives Bardic Music without requiring anything Bard specific iirc. Advances spellcasting too.

Aemoh87
2011-04-15, 09:53 PM
Virtuoso gives Bardic Music without requiring anything Bard specific iirc. Advances spellcasting too.

One level dip is okay. But it doesn't progress casting and doesn't have a BAB. These are two things I would like, but the casting progression is almost a must.

Coidzor
2011-04-15, 10:16 PM
One level dip is okay. But it doesn't progress casting and doesn't have a BAB. These are two things I would like, but the casting progression is almost a must.

Hmm? What Virtuoso are you looking at? :smallconfused:

Aemoh87
2011-04-15, 10:19 PM
Hmm? What Virtuoso are you looking at? :smallconfused:

Complete adventurer? Is there more than one or an errata I need to look at?

gomipile
2011-04-15, 10:26 PM
Complete adventurer? Is there more than one or an errata I need to look at?

Nope, you are right. The 3.5 Virtuoso doesn't start advancing spellcasting until its second level. The 3.0 Virtuoso, in Song and Silence, started at level 1.

Coidzor
2011-04-15, 10:27 PM
The one in complete adventurer has 9/10 casting progression just on the table.

edit: And half BAB for that matter.

Nope, you are right. The 3.5 Virtuoso doesn't start advancing spellcasting until its second level. The 3.0 Virtuoso, in Song and Silence, started at level 1.

No, he's wrong, as he said that it doesn't have any BAB and doesn't progress casting at all.

Keld Denar
2011-04-15, 10:31 PM
List of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff)
Bardic Music - (any prestige that grants bardic music also stacks with bard levels for number of uses per day)
Bard
Virtuoso 1, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer
Fochlucan Lyrist 1, ecl 11, Complete Adventurer
Dragonsong Lyrist 1, ecl 8, Draconomicon, functions like bardic music but different name, does not stack
Warrior Skald 1, ecl 6, Races of Faerun
Spellsinger 1, ecl 6, Races of Faerun
Troubadour of Stars 1, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds

stacks for bardic music uses per day
Seeker of the Song, ecl 11, Complete Arcane
Sublime Chord, ecl 11, Complete Arcane, add only half level
Fochlucan Lyrist , ecl 11, Complete Adventurer
War Chanter, ecl 6 (maybe 5), Complete Warrior
Dawncaller, ecl 7, Races of Stone
Dirgesinger, ecl 6, Libris Mortis
Stormsinger, ecl 6, Frostburn
Lyric Thaumaturge, ecl 7, Complete Mage

special mention
Extra Music, feat, Complete Adventurer, 4 extra uses
Harmonius Knight paladin sub level (Champion of Valor; web enhancement) grants inspire courage, but not as a bardic ability
Initiate of Milil, feat, Champions of Valor, lets you stack bard/cleric/paladin levels to determine what kind of music you have
Initiate of Hlal, feat, Dragon Magic, gain one additional use of bardic music if you already have it
Divine Prankster, ecl 6, Races of Stone, uses bardic music to fuel "Comedic Performance" which has effects similar to bardic music
The Artist, regional feat, Player's Guide to Faerun, 3 extra bardic music uses
Evangelist, ecl 6, Complete Divine, stacks for strength of bard songs, see text

Aemoh87
2011-04-15, 10:37 PM
List of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff)

This has some options, but I am off to work so I will read it later. And to be more specific I am looking for an easy way to get it. Not a character defining railroad :)

Keld Denar
2011-04-15, 10:57 PM
Well, considering the List of Stuff has just about ALL of the options, including the easy ones, if its not there, it doesn't exist. I dunno how that indicates character railroading. Choose the one that best suits your desired path, or don't choose any and forgo the ability. Nobody is gonna railroad you to do anything, just laying out the options available.

Unless you homebrew something...

stainboy
2011-04-15, 11:22 PM
No, he's wrong, as he said that it doesn't have any BAB and doesn't progress casting at all.

I think he meant just the first level, which doesn't give casting and has BAB +0.

Aemoh87
2011-04-16, 03:52 AM
Well, considering the List of Stuff has just about ALL of the options, including the easy ones, if its not there, it doesn't exist. I dunno how that indicates character railroading. Choose the one that best suits your desired path, or don't choose any and forgo the ability. Nobody is gonna railroad you to do anything, just laying out the options available.

Unless you homebrew something...

I meant railroading like taking control of my characters levels to get, not just a dip.

Saintheart
2011-04-17, 07:42 AM
For reaching cheese, I just came across the spell Protege (CAdv p. 155). Permanency, Extend, Persist?

watchwood
2011-04-17, 08:55 AM
How about the Prestige Bard?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard

Full set of bardic abilities, and still does a decent job of increasing the casting abilities of your prior arcane spellcasting class.

Elric VIII
2011-04-17, 11:31 AM
Heartfire Fanner, Dragon 314. It's a 5 level class, with full spellcasting advancement, that requires Negotiator and Skill Focus (perform) along with 10 ranks in Perform and Diplomacy. If you had no previous Bard levels upon entering, you gain all Bardic Music as a 5th level Bard, including uses/day.

Coidzor
2011-04-17, 12:43 PM
I think he meant just the first level, which doesn't give casting and has BAB +0.

Except that wouldn't really make sense, since he said it was fine for a 1 level dip, but nothing further since it didn't progress casting. When the 9 other levels all do progress casting... and actually feature in a number of the higher-powered Bard+Sublime Chord builds for finishing up the build. So I was a bit consternated.

Aemoh87: That's a really weird use of the term railroading. Most builds do require a character path to be decided upon in advance in order to deliver what is wanted by the player anyway. So being shown your options isn't really railroading, especially since it's giving you options that you might not have already known about. As opposed to the usual meaning which is no options whatsoever because the DM wants one to progress in a certain limited way.

nedz
2011-04-17, 01:28 PM
Well, considering the List of Stuff has just about ALL of the options, including the easy ones, if its not there, it doesn't exist. ...

Odd that it doesn't contain Prestige Bard then ?
Don't get me wrong - its a good and useful resource - but it doesn't contain everything.

As for the OP's question: Prestige Bard does not advance spellcasting at level 1 either.

Cog
2011-04-17, 01:32 PM
Odd that it doesn't contain Prestige Bard then ?
Don't get me wrong - its a good and useful resource - but it doesn't contain everything.
It shouldn't. Those alternate rules are, according to their own description, replacements; in a campaign where Bard is a prestige class, it is not also a base class, and so the prestige version technically isn't an alternate way to get Bardic Music.

Ernir
2011-04-17, 02:02 PM
Being a Firre Eladrin (BoED) might do the trick.

If you're an outsider, Polymorph + Assume Supernatural Ability (SS) or Metamorphic Transfer (XPH) gets you there, otherwise Shapechange.

Aemoh87
2011-04-17, 03:33 PM
Except that wouldn't really make sense, since he said it was fine for a 1 level dip, but nothing further since it didn't progress casting. When the 9 other levels all do progress casting... and actually feature in a number of the higher-powered Bard+Sublime Chord builds for finishing up the build. So I was a bit consternated.

Aemoh87: That's a really weird use of the term railroading. Most builds do require a character path to be decided upon in advance in order to deliver what is wanted by the player anyway. So being shown your options isn't really railroading, especially since it's giving you options that you might not have already known about. As opposed to the usual meaning which is no options whatsoever because the DM wants one to progress in a certain limited way.

Indeed they do, but my character already has a definite path, but at higher level has some free space to kick around. And I thought Snowflake war dance would be cool since this is a charisma character.

MeeposFire
2011-04-17, 04:25 PM
Unless you get several levels in a class that grants bardic music and/or extra music you probably won't have enough uses to make it worth it.

Aemoh87
2011-04-17, 04:27 PM
Unless you get several levels in a class that grants bardic music and/or extra music you probably won't have enough uses to make it worth it.

With extra music it should be fine.

Flickerdart
2011-04-17, 04:57 PM
Waste of a feat and class levels. There are many better things you can be doing with Charisma, like Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows (CHA to damage) or one of the many ways to have CHA to AC. The list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) for that is not 100% accurate, but most of the stuff is correct.

Aemoh87
2011-04-17, 07:04 PM
I have a high AC and Cha to my AC as well. But I need more damage. Slippers of Battle Dancing are nice, but I may want to put my money elsewhere.

Flickerdart
2011-04-17, 07:16 PM
Except for, you know, how Snowflake Wardance doesn't give you a damage bonus.

Aemoh87
2011-04-17, 07:30 PM
Except for, you know, how Snowflake Wardance doesn't give you a damage bonus.

I didn't notice that, I just had a friend tell me about it. Very solid point. I am just messing around with this build right now but I am glad that was caught early.