PDA

View Full Version : X-men anime

Brother Oni
2011-04-16, 05:24 AM
My in-laws from Japan have recently sent over some anime recorded off the TV for my children and I found this gem: X-men anime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-VrfU3t4VQ)

Currently only 3 episodes have been broadcasted and looks very pretty, but it's also very odd as the mix of western influences with shonen anime conventions is a bit jarring at times (not to mention their pronunciation of their names).

Beast's been turned into nekomimi and Storm sounds and looks far too young.
Wolverine has a build like a WWF wrestler as well, turning him more into gay pride land (can't get that superdickery image out of my head).

Edit: Just figured it out - the group dynamic's been turned into a power rangers-esque 5 Man band (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveManBand) (sorry for the TV tropes link).

I'm reserving judgement until I see more but has anybody else seen/heard of it?

Yora
2011-04-16, 06:49 AM
I think that sound's like a pretty cool idea.

I guess they are not really trying to just do more episodes of the old stuff we know, but do their own interpretation of the material. Which I think is far more interesting. If it's actually good remains to be seen, but I think an x-men anime that possibly has its own continuity almost sounds like it was waiting to happen.

Kato
2011-04-16, 07:33 AM
I've only seen the first two episodes so far. The one thing that really gets on my nerves is the pronunciation. Yes, it is hard to speak proper English for native Japanese but still. It is kind of annoying. Apart from that... I didn't have any major complaint from the two episodes... Logan being more reasonable than Scott(o) is kind of quirky but I guess they will get back to their own roles in time. Though, Storm never was... well immature but I get the feeling they are really emphasising a thing there... or two. Well, whatever. I think it's fine up to now.

Not sure if you are aware of it but last season a Wolverine anime aired and the one before Iron Man. Though, I didn't watch either entirely.

Traab
2011-04-16, 08:34 AM
Well whats the time frame of the anime set in? I ask because iirc, wasnt storm originally a child goddess of africa worshiped for her control over weather? I dont recall how old she was when she first showed up on xaviers doorstep. Or is she somehow a 15 year old with a full adult cyclops and beast and such?

Prime32
2011-04-16, 09:27 AM
Beast's been turned into nekomimiBeast has looked like that in the comics for years now. And nekomimi = human with cat ears (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnusualEars), which isn't a particularly accurate description.

Brother Oni
2011-04-16, 09:27 AM
It seems to be in its own separate continuity (I don't follow X-men very closely), but:

It seems to be after the Phoenix saga (the first episode opens with Jean sacrificing herself so she can't kill the rest of the team while under the influence of the Phoenix spirit), but when Emma Frost is still antagonistic towards the X-men.

Storm looks and sounds in her very early 20s (could be just the voice actress though), while Scott is in his early to mid 20s. Beast is easily 30, but hard to tell.

Finally found a youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StxNsz3HdgA&feature=related) (Storm has her own scenes from about 10:00 onwards).

Fredaintdead
2011-04-16, 09:42 AM
This actually looks really good, and I'm glad to see X-Men having something new done to it. I look forward to if and when this gets dubbed (not that I mind reading subtitles, but I just genuinely prefer to be able to understand what the characters are saying when they say it rather than reading it).

Prime32
2011-04-16, 09:45 AM
This actually looks really good, and I'm glad to see X-Men having something new done to it. I look forward to if and when this gets dubbed (not that I mind reading subtitles, but I just genuinely prefer to be able to understand what the characters are saying when they say it rather than reading it).The Iron Man and Wolverine anime were dubbed, so I assume this one will be as well.

Fredaintdead
2011-04-16, 09:52 AM
The Iron Man and Wolverine anime were dubbed, so I assume this one will be as well.

I've never seen those, but I'm definitely glad that it's likely we'll get a dubbed version of this one too. I might even have to look those up in future... the other animes I mean.

GenericGuy
2011-04-16, 12:34 PM
The fact that wolverine isn’t bishie makes me confident they’re doing something right.

Traab
2011-04-17, 05:20 PM
Wolverine is a short, hairy, muscular, cigar smoking, beer swilling canuk ready to throw down at a moments notice, case closed. There is no other way to characterize the one true wolverine!

Manga Shoggoth
2011-04-18, 03:54 AM
Not heard of this one.

Mind you, I did come across X-Men: Misfits, which was the X-Men reimaged as a shojo manga - going to the acadamy seen through the eyes of Kitty Pride. It worked surprisingly well, as long as you accepted the way they refitted the concepts.

Brother Oni
2011-04-18, 06:46 AM
Wolverine is a short, hairy, muscular, cigar smoking, beer swilling canuk ready to throw down at a moments notice, case closed. There is no other way to characterize the one true wolverine!

You're in luck as he is that here - there's an amusing scene in the first episode with him trying to get through airport security and the guards have him stripped down to his underpants because he keeps on triggering the metal detector. :smallbiggrin: