PDA

View Full Version : Codex Martialis [3.5 Supplement]

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-16, 12:41 PM
This is a little thing that I found over at RPG Now. It basically tries to make things more martially oriented (who would've guessed though?) without using Animu Fighting Magiks. On top of that it (sort of) tries to make combat more realistic (as their is a BETA adventure in the works set in the Balkans during the 1400s). I was just wondering if anybody had heard of this or thinks it sounds fun.

EDIT: I should clarify that I am asking bout this because I've bought it.

arguskos
2011-04-16, 12:45 PM
Curious. Do you know the publisher?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-16, 12:47 PM
Curious. Do you know the publisher?

IRE Games. Better yet, I can link. Link (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=75133).

faceroll
2011-04-16, 12:52 PM
Checked out their preview, looks like it'd be interesting(?) rules for a game without magic? Otherwise it looks like it's a complicated system to basically add +2 to damage.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-16, 12:56 PM
Checked out their preview, looks like it'd be interesting(?) rules for a game without magic? Otherwise it looks like it's a complicated system to basically add +2 to damage.

*shrugs* I suppose (I for one (and so I suppose the people this is catered to) have always prefered "low" (like T. H. White "low") magic). The creator is interested in magic, as he intends to add a product on how to add (detailed) magic to the game.

If anybody has an EN World account, the creator made this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/242110-history-mythology-art-rpgs.html) thread.

Dienekes
2011-04-16, 02:40 PM
Yeah this was made by Galloglaich, he generally hangs around the Real world weapons and armor thread, haven't seen him in awhile though. He's also working on a more comprehensive list of weapons and armor.

I've always been interested in getting it, and what has been said about it sounds great. But unfortunately I've been counting my quarters for the last couple of years.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-18, 06:05 PM
*Bump*

I've always been interested in getting it, and what has been said about it sounds great. But unfortunately I've been counting my quarters for the last couple of years.

Ah well that's a shame.

true_shinken
2011-04-18, 06:45 PM
This is a little thing that I found over at RPG Now. It basically tries to make things more martially oriented (who would've guessed though?) without using Animu Fighting Magiks.
Is it so hard to, ya know, not be offensive about Tome of Battle for no good reason?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-18, 07:00 PM
Is it so hard to, ya know, not be offensive about Tome of Battle for no good reason?

I actually have the Tomb of Battle and find it quite enjoyable. It just isn't ... ... strictly fighting, if you know what I mean? It's basically (Naruto styled) Jutsu for Fighters. This adds a Power Pool and gives some new fancy Feats, and changes how weapons work.

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 07:10 PM
It's basically (Naruto styled) Jutsu for Fighters.

...not really. "Naruto Style Fighting" is spellcasting. Oh yes, there are some characters who go in for the more martial aspect (Rock Lee and Gai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOZ_hyu7Lo) to name two), but for the most part, the moves/attacks displayed in Naruto and similar shounen shows seem to be closer to the likes of Wizards and Sorcerers than Tome of Battle.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-18, 07:12 PM
...not really. "Naruto Style Fighting" is spellcasting. Oh yes, there are some characters who go in for the more martial aspect (Rock Lee and Gai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOZ_hyu7Lo) to name two), but for the most part, the moves/attacks displayed in Naruto and similar shounen shows seem to be closer to the likes of Wizards and Sorcerers than Tome of Battle.
Not the point of the thread regardless, but point taken.

Galloglaich
2011-04-18, 08:53 PM
Hey I'm the guy who did the Codex, if you have any specific questions about it, fire away.

G.

drkguy3107
2011-04-21, 05:38 PM
I have also played it. I am a DM in my game and I will answer whatever question you have.

As a starter though, the game does make combat take longer, though in another way ti is also faster. For example, a round can take a lot longer to play through, but I have had few fights longer than five rounds.

If you want a low magic game, I'd say that this is essential, since simply saying "I attack" gets boring after awhile. This also allows for greater degree of weapon differentiation than basic dnd.

Further, as complicated as it does sound when first reading it thru, it really isn't since it substitutes most bonuses with bonus die, and requires less memorization of misc. situational bonuses.

Entrophilia
2011-05-11, 12:18 PM
thought i might toss my 2 cents into this thread...having played this system.
I like this system, quite a bit, once you get a handle on the game mechanics combat tends flows fairly quickly, and you have a number of interesting options available to you.
It is brutal though, this was a system built by someone who understands the mechanics of actually fighting with these weapons and armor, so in this system it is often better to run away then stand and fight, especially if you are outnumbered, pretty much regardless of what your level is
It takes a bit to get comfortable with it since a lot of the weapon names and terms might be difficult at first, but i think its worth it in the end.

Galloglaich
2011-10-26, 02:31 PM
One of the things we do in my campaigns to make it a little less brutally lethal is I give my players something like action points, chips they can 'spend' to add one or more free dice to any die roll. They typically get one poker chip for every (overall) level. As an added twist I base these on one of three personality traits, and the player can choose which one:

1) Honor
2) Elan
3) Piety

Honor chips will be taken away if the player submits to any sleights or ill treatment he or she would consider below their station. Elan chips are taken away when the player is doing boring or tediuous things, or living with discomfort, and Piety any time they violate their religious code (Christians eating meat on Friday for example). On the contrary they can get extra chips for doing things which emphasize their moral code - honorable men for honorable or chivalrous behavior, Elan types for acts of daring, cheeky statements and so on, and Pious types for sacrifice in the name of their faith.

When they are in a particularly dangerous or critical situation they can spend these chips to enhance their luck, but I don't allow any re-rolls. Just extra dice on a particular role. They get one issuance of chips per gaming session, plus any situational or circumstantial bonuses they earn.

I found it helped balance out the system pretty well, giving the players a little bit of an extra edge when they really needed it, but not so much that they could act completely fearless like in regular DnD.

G