PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Touch Spells.

Metahuman1
2011-04-16, 12:47 PM
Ok, I'm going to be playing a Duskblade for the first time, and the Dm is letting me add some spells too the Duskblades list.

I've got a few buffs and movement type spells tacked on, like Enlarge Person, Haste and Fly.

What I need to know are some good Touch spells below 6th lvl spells that deal the following damage types.

Fire
Acid
Force
Sonic
Desiccate

The idea here is I'm trying to up the types of damage I can do as much as possible, so that regardless of what the Dm throws at us I can reliably have SOMETHING that can hurt it.

Help me Playground, your my only hope!

Greenish
2011-04-16, 01:08 PM
The idea here is I'm trying to up the types of damage I can do as much as possible, so that regardless of what the Dm throws at us I can reliably have SOMETHING that can hurt it.Duskblades have a limited list of spells known, so you'd be much better served with, say, Vampiric Touch that deals untyped damage.

If you want something that won't be stopped by SR, just grab Arcane Strike.

Thespianus
2011-04-16, 02:18 PM
Yes, Arcane Strike will help a lot.

A tougher route is to get Rapid Metamagic and Energy Substitution. That way, you can use the 2nd level spell Combust (1D8/level, max 10D8) from SpC and substitute the damage type for whatever you need.

But I'm not sure how Duskblades, channeling and Metamagic work together, really, so maybe I'm talking nonsense. :)

Zaq
2011-04-16, 02:56 PM
But I'm not sure how Duskblades, channeling and Metamagic work together, really, so maybe I'm talking nonsense. :)

RAW, not well. Arcane Channeling specifies that the spell has to have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. Since Duskblades are spontaneous casters and someone writing the PHB really overvalued spontaneous casting, any metamagic they apply to their (standard) spells bumps the casting time up to a full-round action. Since the casting time is then greater than a standard action, they can't do it. They need Rapid Spell or the Rapid Metamagic feat or something . . . or you can just ask your GM to conveniently ignore that rule, since it's not like Duskblades are very good at abusing metamagic anyway. RAW, though, Duskblades don't get much use out of non-Sudden metamagic.

Metahuman1
2011-04-17, 09:48 AM
Channeling makes it part of the attack action too take a shot with a touch spell, and we can do so through the weapon we attack with. At 13th lvl, we may do so with all the attacks that we make when we full attack.

Now, RAW, after the attack/full attack, the spell is used up with out regard to the duration. DM has house ruled that they do not discharge, but once activated stay around till there duration expires. Limitation is that if I'm making a full attack action before I'm lvl 13, the touch spell only get's to apply it's effect to the first attack I make at highest base attack bonus, then at lvl 13 it will apply to all attacks. He felt this would help me be more relevant when combined with some buff and movement type granting spells added to the spells known list, and some additional touch spells to give me more then three or four damage types to choose form.

Hence, the original question about trying to find Touch spells lvl 5 or lower that deal Fire, Acid, Sonic, Force, or Desiccate damage to increase the types of damage I can get from channeling.

And one more small thing, I could just take energy substitution but I'm a bit tight on feats for the moment, and I can't take all of those types as substitution. One, perhaps two. Hence it would be good if I could also find one, perhaps two of the others to have as spells that just fault deal one of those damage types normally. Getting all of them would of course be optimal as it would save me feats, but I could squeeze in one or two feats for it if I absolutely had too to make sure I could reliably deal what ever damage I needed too in order to hurt the target and then make it stay hurt.

Thespianus
2011-04-17, 10:46 AM
RAW, not well. Arcane Channeling specifies that the spell has to have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. Since Duskblades are spontaneous casters and someone writing the PHB really overvalued spontaneous casting, any metamagic they apply to their (standard) spells bumps the casting time up to a full-round action. Since the casting time is then greater than a standard action, they can't do it. They need Rapid Spell or the Rapid Metamagic feat or something
Yeah, I mentioned that in my post. ;)

But yes, Spontaneous Casters didn't get a full share of the love in the PHB, that's for sure, even though they got a lot more love than the beatsticks.

The Winter King
2011-04-17, 04:30 PM
Night's Caress from Libris Mortis would be my pick. Level 5 touch for 1d6/lv max 15d6 and 1d4 +2 con with a fort save to negate the con. That spell is awesome for duskblades.