PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new cantrips

Thugorp
2011-04-16, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone. I am running a game right now, and one of my players is going to begetting one new cantrips every few levels. What I have noticed is that there have only been four or five actual published cantrips since the p.h.b. came out.

So, does anyone have any Homebrew or third party cantrips that they like to use?

Thugorp
2011-04-16, 01:21 PM
To start things off here is one of my favorites:

Wild Spark

Evocation (Electricity)
Level: Wiz/Sor 0
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action.
Range: Self, see text
Duration: 1 hour / level
Saving Throw: None, see text
Spell Resistance: Yes, for all effects
Spell Description:
"Why, it's so nice to meet you!" the sorceror greets heartily, holding out his hand. As the other man takes it, he starts from a sudden minor electric shock. "Ha, gotcha," the caster jives. The other mutters a curse about immature pranksters...

The caster may create a static charge in his hand at any time during the duration of this spell as a free action, and may also turn off the effect as a free action. This causes a minor static jolt to anyone who touches the caster with their hands or with some conductive material between them (like a sword, or metal wall that they are both touching), which is weak enough that it has no in-game effect. In the case of a large gap between the caster and target that are both touching a conductive material, the maximum range is 25 feet. Alternatively, you make take a standard action to make a touch attack against a target to cause this minor jolt.

The caster can also create small sparks at their fingertips at will during the duration, which dimly (and rather erratically) lights 5 feet. The sparks may be used as a flint and steel for the purpouses of lighting a fire.

As a standard action, the caster may create a burst of sparks in any five foot square within Close range (25 feet + 5 ft/2 levels), dimly lighting the five foot area for 1 round and Dazzling any target within the area (fortitude save negates) for as long as they remain within the area of effect.

As a standard action, the caster may choose to discharge the spell (and thus end its effect) in order to focus the lightning flowing through him and cause 1d3 point of electricity damage (no save) and Dazzles the target for one round (fortitude save negates) to a target who has been affected by the minor jolt.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-16, 01:23 PM
Psst. It's cantrips. Not cantripes.

Mystral
2011-04-16, 01:25 PM
What is the characters class and background like? Is he a bard? A Wizard? A sorcerer? Or maybe a druid or cleric (their cantrips are called Orisons). Which world are you playing in?

I bet that with a few more infos, the Playgrounders could homebrew you very fitting and nice cantrips.

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-16, 01:31 PM
Some Cantrips! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186661)

Thugorp
2011-04-16, 01:35 PM
Psst. It's cantrips. Not cantripes.

Thank you and FIXED! :-D

What is the characters class and background like? Is he a bard? A Wizard? A sorcerer? Or maybe a druid or cleric (their cantrips are called Orisons). Which world are you playing in?

I bet that with a few more infos, the Playgrounders could homebrew you very fitting and nice cantrips.

Oh yes... sorry that was dumb of me... I am a bit embarrassed... the character is playing an arcane caster... I want to withhold which actual class it is for... at least two more posts... because I feel like it might influence the suggestions in a way I don't want it to right off the bat(though Later I wouldn't mind at all). It is a prepared spell casting class though.

Some Cantrips! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186661)

Thank you I shall have to look these over.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-16, 02:36 PM
Thank you and FIXED! :-D

Nope. Thread still says cantripes.

You have to edit the title of the post to maake it fix'd.

Thugorp
2011-04-16, 02:56 PM
Oh, thank you. NOW fixed... anyone else have any cantrips to offer?

Mystral
2011-04-16, 03:15 PM
You might want to take a look in the Book of erotic fantasy, there are some Cantrips in there, for example a spell for contraception. Not all of them are sexrelated if I remember correctly.

bloodtide
2011-04-16, 03:17 PM
Minor Levitation
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 0, Bard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 1 foot
Target: 1 object weighing one pound or less
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

This spell permits the caster to cause the target object to rise or fall. It may move at a speed of 1' vertically for the duration, as directed by the caster.

---------------
Sketch
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Effect: 1 piece of paper, 9 in. by 11 in.
Duration: 1 hour

This spell creates 1 piece of parchment with whatever the caster wishes to write on it. If this paper is used to make a Forgery, he must make a Forgery check at -2 because the paper feels odd to the touch. This paper can be cut, folded, or balled and it will exist for the full hour (so it can be used to make a paper trail out of a dungeon, as a paper airplane, or as a wad to throw at someone).

Focus: Something to write with.
---------------
Identify Mineral and Stone
Divination
Level: Brd 0, Clr (having Stone or Earth domains) 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 minute
Targets: 5 pieces of mineral or 10 cu. ft. of stone
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell will correctly identify by name any of its targets (for instance, if cast on 5 gems it will reveal their type or if cast on an area of stone it will reveal the type of stone). Appraise or Stonecunning checks used up to 1 minute after this spell is cast get a +2 insight bonus.
----------------------
Minor Curse
Necromancy
Level: Clr 0, Evil 0
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/ 2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This causes a -1 penalty on the next roll (eg a saving throw, attack, skill check, etc) made by the affected character. The spell then ends.
The caster may specify a type of roll to which the curse applies (eg only the next Fortitude save).

---------
Relax
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 0, Law 0
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level

This acts as Calm Emotions on the one target.
----------------
Weaken Resolve
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 0
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/ 2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 minute/level

This weakens the target's willpower, making it less resistant to persuasion and influence. The target suffers a -4 penalty to resist Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks. It does not affect Will saves, morale or other checks.

bloodtide
2011-04-16, 03:42 PM
A big list of Cantrips:

Random Cantrips. (http://www.skiltair.com/Ian/dungeons_&_dragons/Cantrips1.htm)

Mystral
2011-04-16, 03:44 PM
Minor Levitation
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 0, Bard 0
Range: 1 foot
Target: 1 object weighing one pound or less
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

This spell permits the caster to cause the target object to rise or fall. It may move at a speed of 1' vertically for the duration, as directed by the caster.

Don't want to seem contrary, but it seems like this cantrip is made obsolete by Mage Hand.

bloodtide
2011-04-16, 03:49 PM
Don't want to seem contrary, but it seems like this cantrip is made obsolete by Mage Hand.

True. But that does not mean such a spell would not or should not exist.

I know from a Game Point of View, everyone thinks everything they have should be the best of the best, but it does not always have to be that way.

So you can look at Minor Levitation as the 'old version', or maybe it's the only one goblins know, or such.

It could even work nice to add the spell to other spell lists to give them a 'weak mage hand'.

Thugorp
2011-04-16, 03:51 PM
actually both this one and sketch are both things that Prestidigitation can do... the rest seem interesting though. :-)

sorry I wrote this before your last comment... that is a good point... except I think Pres. is in everyone's list... as might mage hand be.

Gamer Girl
2011-04-17, 01:18 PM
I love cantrips!

Cut
School Transmutation
Descriptor
Level Sor/Wiz 0, Brd 0
components V,S
casting time 1 swift action
range Close
target 1 unattended, nonmagical object, not thicker than 1 inch/level
duration Instantaneous
saving throw Fortitude negates
spell resistance No

By means of this spell, thin objects such as rope, cord, delicate chain, wire, cloth, wax candles, sausages, and the like, up to 1 inch thick per caster level, can be instantly severed. The caster must be able to see the object to be cut, and it must be within close range. The verbal component is a soft "snick" sound, and the somatic component is a scissoring motion made with two adjoining fingers. Magical (even temporarily ensorcelled) objects and living beings are unaffected by this spell.

Theatrics
School Illusion (Glamer)
Descriptor
Level Sor/Wiz 0, Brd 0
components V,S,
casting time 1 action
range Personal
target You
duration 1 min./level (D)

With this Cantrip you gain the following as at will abilities usable as a free action:

*Make your eyes glow bright in any color. As this effect is illusory no real light is emitted.
*Amplify your voice (but not special sonic attacks or abilities) up to double volume.
*Surround yourself with a small amount of fog. This is too minor an amount to provide concealment.
*Create a tiny puff of smoke from your hand once per round.

When used appropriately this spell can provide a +1 circumstance bonus to skill checks for perform (stage magic) or when using sleight of hand to entertain. It can also provide a +1 circumstance bonus to intimidate checks, though this bonus eventually ceases if not backed up with combat spellcasting or an appropriate illusion.

Rumbple's marbles
School Conjuration (Creation)
Descriptor
Level Sor/Wiz 0
components V,S
casting time 1 standard action
range Close
area see text
duration 1 round/level
saving throw None
spell resistance No

This spell, created by the gnome Rumbple Waybird is a nonlethal substitute for caltrops.

This spell covers one 5-foot-by-5-foot square with marbles. Each time a creature moves into an area covered by marbles (or spends a round fighting while standing in such an area), it might step on one. The marbles make a touch attack roll (base attack bonus +0) against the creature. For this attack, the creature’s deflection bonus to defense does not count. If the marbles succeed on the attack, the creature has stepped on one. The marbles deal no damage, but the target slips and is knocked prone. A charging or running creature must immediately stop if it slips on marbles. Any creature moving at half speed or slower can pick its way through a bed of marbles with no trouble. Marbles may not be effective against unusual opponents. For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you can affect an additional 5-foot-by-5-foot square, and the marbles' attack bonus increases by 1. Thus, you affect two squares at 3rd level (+1 melee), three at 5th level (+2 melee), four at 7th level (+3 melee), and a maximum of five at 9th level or higher (+4 melee maximum). Multiple spells (or mundane marbles) occupying the same space have no additional effect.

Pyromancer999
2011-04-17, 01:59 PM
Why does everyone always forget this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183336)?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-04-17, 02:07 PM
Minor Animation
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Clr 0, Brd 0
Target, Effect, or Area: Corpse or bones of a single creature, Tiny or smaller
Duration: 2 min/level
Saving Throw: No

Using this spell, a caster may animate the corpse or skeleton of any creature, as long as it is tiny, diminutive, or fine. The creature can perform minor tasks such as fetching objects or dancing for entertainment, though its size may be an obstacle. If the animated creature takes any damage, the spell ends immediately, and it cannot attack.

Set
2011-04-17, 03:57 PM
Some cantrips here on my site. (http://www.skiltair.com/Ian/dungeons_&_dragons/Cantrips1.htm)

Some cantrips on Sean K Reynold's site. (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/spells/energycantrips.html) If you tool around, there's another cantrip or two (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/spells/spells.html) there, as well. (Scroll to the bottom of the page, the ones with the yellow icons that look like slices of banana bread, or perhaps gold pieces...)

Gamer Girl
2011-04-18, 10:36 PM
More:

Trance
Illusion (Pattern) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
As hypnotic pattern, except only affecting a single creature of 1 HD

Extinguish Flame
Transmutation [Fire]
Level:Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0, Drd 0
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 action Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area/Effect/Target: 1 flame 1 cu. foot or smaller Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: No

You instantly extinguish normal flames with a volume of 1 cubic foot or smaller. This can be used to put out candles, torches, lanterns, small campfires, and even small fires that get out of hand. The flame is snuffed, just as though it went out from a lack of oxygen. It can be re-lit normally.

Spell Continuance
School Evocation
Level Sor/Wiz 0
components V, S
range Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
target an arcane spell; see text
duration 1 round
saving throw none
spell resistance no

With this spell, you are able to prolong the duration of an existing spell by one round. You can cast Spell Continuance on any spell already in effect, as long as it's an arcane spell, has a limited duration and was cast by yourself.

A spell can only be affected by one continuance.

Sort
School Transmutation
Level Sor/Wiz 0
components V,S,M
range 5 feet
effect 5 foot square/+1 foot square/level
duration Instantaneous
saving throw None

Separates items into like piles of same items, as dictated by the caster. If space is limited, the piles will mix at the edges. Items under magical protections, like Obscure Object, are immune but hidden items are not.

Thugorp
2011-04-19, 12:17 PM
I love cantrips!

... hole bunch of cool stuff...

These are quite intresting, thank you, nice job. :-)

Why does everyone always forget this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183336)?

Actually I didn't forget them... I mean sure they weren't mentioned here but they were mentioned in a thread that someone did mention and one of my players actually almost took the 'Magic Man' feat. She would have actually if not for the fact that prestidigitation was already the only cantrip she could cast... and she could do it four times a day. :-) Thank you for posting it here. Perhaps this will become the new one-stop-shop thread for cantrips! :-)

Some cantrips here on my site. (http://www.skiltair.com/Ian/dungeons_&_dragons/Cantrips1.htm)

Some cantrips on Sean K Reynold's site. (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/spells/energycantrips.html) If you tool around, there's another cantrip or two (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/spells/spells.html) there, as well. (Scroll to the bottom of the page, the ones with the yellow icons that look like slices of banana bread, or perhaps gold pieces...)

Actually someone already posted a link to the mane page of your cantripes, those energy ones are interesting though. Thank you, :-) ... actually they all are, I added quite a few of the ones off of the big page to my players list(she is playing a Magewright) :smallredface: .

Minor Animation
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Clr 0, Brd 0
Target, Effect, or Area: Corpse or bones of a single creature, Tiny or smaller
Duration: 2 min/level
Saving Throw: No

Using this spell, a caster may animate the corpse or skeleton of any creature, as long as it is tiny, diminutive, or fine. The creature can perform minor tasks such as fetching objects or dancing for entertainment, though its size may be an obstacle. If the animated creature takes any damage, the spell ends immediately, and it cannot attack.

cool :haley: