PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Invocations

LansXero
2011-04-16, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone.

In which sources (besides Complete Arcane and Dragon Magic) could one find warlock invocations?

Also, is there a variant rule or article to allow warlocks to use dragonfire adept invocations?

thanks in advance :D

Halae
2011-04-16, 02:34 PM
Ok, as far as sources go, there's Complete Arcane (obviously), Complete mage, a couple in Drow of the Underdark, Magic of Incarnum, Dragon magic, and Cityscape

I know there's an article that gives you feat to take DFA invocations, but that's the only non-homerule way of taking them, and it requires you to be level 11 before you can take it

MeeposFire
2011-04-16, 03:10 PM
And if I recall it requires you to take an invocation two levels lower than you can cast (if you can curse greater invocations you can only pick up least invocations from the dragon adept).

I would just ask your DM to houserule it personally which in most games is fine unless somebody is going to want to play a DFA or if your DM is somebody who loves playing strict RAW.

Amnestic
2011-04-16, 04:30 PM
I know there's an article that gives you feat to take DFA invocations, but that's the only non-homerule way of taking them, and it requires you to be level 11 before you can take it

Indeed. The feat in question is called Infernal Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613).

Giving both classes free access to the other's Invocation list is hardly gamebreaking though. Fitting in places too, since Warlocks not getting Magic(al) Insight on their Least list seems a bit odd considering their fluff.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-16, 04:58 PM
Indeed. The feat in question is called Infernal Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613).

Giving both classes free access to the other's Invocation list is hardly gamebreaking though. Fitting in places too, since Warlocks not getting Magic(al) Insight on their Least list seems a bit odd considering their fluff.

They get Detect Magic for free anyways at 2nd level. The only thing you're missing is Identify.

Greenish
2011-04-16, 05:02 PM
They get Detect Magic for free anyways at 2nd level. The only thing you're missing is Identify.Which you can get as a cheap item.

Airanath
2011-04-16, 11:31 PM
Which you can getcraft as a cheap item.

Fixed for you, warlocks UMD crafting.

Halae
2011-04-17, 12:32 AM
Fixed for you, warlocks UMD crafting.

yeah, at level 12. plenty of games I've been in don't make it past level 6 before collapsing

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-04-17, 07:36 AM
I would just ask your DM to houserule it personally which in most games is fine unless somebody is going to want to play a DFA or if your DM is somebody who loves playing strict RAW.

Yeah, I'll second this. The two classes have different flavor and should have separate invocation lists... but they're both plagued by extremely limited invocation lists. And, as someone who prefers the Dragonfire Adept... new Warlock invocations are the only source of new invocations for the class.

The magic insight invocation is much less of a big deal in Pathfinder because of the changes to detect magic and identify. It isn't even worth the invocation slot with detect magic for free.