PDA

View Full Version : A New Type of Optimisation Challenge [3.5]

Devmaar
2011-04-16, 03:56 PM
I had an idea for a form of challenge I haven't seen before.

Essentially it would be similar to Iron Chef, except that the 'boundaries' are randomised.

The level built to would be chosen by a D20 roll, the 'party role' optimised for would be randomly selected from a list using the dice roller and the sources available would be SRD + 1d8 splatbooks selected by my brother who does not know what any of them are.

So, would anyone be interested in this?

Zaranthan
2011-04-17, 12:13 AM
See, this is why point buy stat generation was invented: because once you've played a couple games, rolling dice to determine what game you're actually playing isn't any fun.

nedz
2011-04-17, 09:47 AM
There was an optimisation type game we used to play back in the early days of 1E:
Roll 3d6 six times, and assign the values in the order in which you rolled them.
Now try to work out what classes might work for this character.

This was why we moved onto 3/4d6 and re-arrange.

Actually in one of the very first game I ever played (the only time I've used the Three books and Suppliments version of the game) we also rolled a d6 for starting level.

Progress is a wonderful thing.

TIPOT
2011-04-17, 02:16 PM
What does what the original posters idea have to do with ability generation? :smallconfused:

If I'm understanding this right he's not suggesting this as a way to play, but to set limits for people competing to make the best possible character right?

Lyndworm
2011-04-17, 05:44 PM
I would be interested in this, actually. I like limiting myself in strange ways, and I've been told I'm a pretty good optimizer (check my extended sig for relevant hilarity).

I would request that the impartial part (IE; your brother) choose not from your splat books, but from a list of splat books. Maybe even a numbered list, and then he could just pick numbers rather than choosing them based on a cool name or cool cover art. Of course, once you go through the trouble of numbering them all you may as well roll 1d73 or whatever... :smallsigh: Nevermind. Whatever works for you.

Devmaar
2011-04-18, 02:29 AM
What does what the original posters idea have to do with ability generation? :smallconfused:

If I'm understanding this right he's not suggesting this as a way to play, but to set limits for people competing to make the best possible character right?

That's what I was going for

I would be interested in this, actually. I like limiting myself in strange ways, and I've been told I'm a pretty good optimizer (check my extended sig for relevant hilarity).

I would request that the impartial part (IE; your brother) choose not from your splat books, but from a list of splat books. Maybe even a numbered list, and then he could just pick numbers rather than choosing them based on a cool name or cool cover art. Of course, once you go through the trouble of numbering them all you may as well roll 1d73 or whatever... :smallsigh: Nevermind. Whatever works for you.

That's a much better idea. We'd have to agree on a list though.

Lyndworm
2011-04-18, 02:45 AM
Well, off the top of my head...

Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness (3.0)
Citscape
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Draconomicon
Dragon Compendium
Dragon Magazine
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Dungeonscape
Epic Level Handbook
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Fiend Folio (3.0)
Frostburn
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Lords of Madness
Magic item Compendium
Magic of Incarnum
Miniatures Handbook
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual IV
Monster Manual V
Oriental Adventures (3.0)
Planar Handbook
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Psionics Handbook
Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of the Dragon
Races of the Wild
Sandstorm
Savage Species (3.0)
Spell Compendium
Stormwrack
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana
Weapons of Legacy

That's 52 books.

Killer Angel
2011-04-18, 07:06 AM
rolling dice to determine what game you're actually playing isn't any fun.

Progress is a wonderful thing.

You're seeing it the wrong way.
Imagine it's a thread, and the OP is asking advices on optimization for a character. He gives you level, class and splatbooks allowed.
Every day you can see such requests.
Only, in this case the variables are determined randomly.

sirveaux
2011-04-18, 08:38 AM
Well, off the top of my head...

Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness (3.0)
Citscape
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Draconomicon
Dragon Compendium
Dragon Magazine
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Dungeonscape
Epic Level Handbook
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Fiend Folio (3.0)
Frostburn
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Lords of Madness
Magic item Compendium
Magic of Incarnum
Miniatures Handbook
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual IV
Monster Manual V
Oriental Adventures (3.0)
Planar Handbook
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Psionics Handbook
Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of the Dragon
Races of the Wild
Sandstorm
Savage Species (3.0)
Spell Compendium
Stormwrack
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana
Weapons of Legacy
That's 52 books.

"Off the top of your head" has 52 books in alphabetical order? Dude, your head rocks!

Also, I'd agree a blind number system is the best way to go.

Devmaar
2011-04-18, 09:49 AM
I like the list, though the books already included on the SRD shouldn't be available for random selection.

The other thing is deciding on the list of party roles the builds could aim for, the following is just my initial idea and open to whatever discussion you like:

Control
Damage
Defender
Skills
Support

I deliberately left these quite vague as options could well end up limited as it is.

nedz
2011-04-18, 01:22 PM
You're seeing it the wrong way.
Imagine it's a thread, and the OP is asking advices on optimization for a character. He gives you level, class and splatbooks allowed.
Every day you can see such requests.
Only, in this case the variables are determined randomly.

OK, but what happens when we are asked:
Please build a level 1 skill monkey, your sources are:
SRD + Book of Exalted Deeds + Book of Vile Darkness + Epic Level Handbook + Fiend Folio