PDA

View Full Version : Children of Strangeness [3.PF Base Class]

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-16, 04:31 PM
Blurb on this thread (dates back to original posting. This is no longer really the direction of the class and is saved so we know where this came from.)
Now, let me state right off the bat that I have the bare minimalist understanding of the game of Exalted and am cracking open the books concerning the game even as we speak right now.

I read a few Exalted webcomics (Keychain of Creation and Chorus of the Neverborn being the only two still active that I read) and while trying to wrap my head around the concepts and terminologies from a totally outsider perspective I find the series pretty awesome. Delving through a wiki or two I come across the concept of the God-blooded, which I find pretty neat.

Technically the God-blooded would be anything with one of the myriad of Half-templates but I was curious if anyone had come up with a base class to represent the concept of them (not so much a direct translation of the Exalted version).

Memory serves that someone had started a kind of Jinchuriki base class for Elans and Abominations but I didn't pay close enough attention to it and it was only close to what I'm looking for currently. :smallredface:

So in short, I'm looking for a 20 level base class that allows modular choice of several creatures (ranging from lowly Magical Beasts to the mighty Outsiders [so basically Magical Beasts, Outsiders, Aberrations, Fey, Dragon, Undead and Giants]) to create a character on the ascent from mortality to something more than either of its parent races (in some cases). [Though honestly it would be neat if this thread could end up collaborating the ability to plug in a large chunk of the existing monsters over the next few weeks (at minimum, don't want to be hasty or pushy. >< )]

As for Tier level I'd like it to fall somewhere in between Tier 3 and Tier 1 (probably either a high Tier 3 to a high Tier 2. Not something to utterly break the game but something mighty to contend with.)

I'd take my crack at creating something but I'm only not total rubbish at making monsters (somewhat) and Tier 4 base classes (somewhat).

Thanks in advance!

Note: I'll post the class as it grows into this first post for the sake of those who come by and want to either see it or add to it.

Wyrd-blooded

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/ChildofWyrd.jpg

”You look at me and just see a simple Elf. You think to yourself, "How can such a girly elf ever prove a threat to a bandit like me? They're only good for that flighty art nonsense or acting arrogant." Well, let me tell you a secret dwarf; I have the blood of something truly terrible running in my veins and I'm going to share it with you!”

-Lanliss, Elven Wyrd-blooded.

Those who leave the safety of their homes to strike out on epic adventures almost always find their true strength through training or raw talent. Be they the savage barbarian from the hinterlands, the erudite wizard fresh from academy or the daring fighter who takes to the sword like a fish to water, this is true of them all. But not the Wyrd-blooded. They draw their potency from something far more deep and primal, calling upon the strange gifts bequeathed to them by ancestors they may not know they ever had.

Unlike those who can claim direct lineage from something monstrous or wonderful, the Wyrd-blooded will never show anything but superficial connection to their ancestor. They may possess tiny horns hidden beneath their hair, longer than normal canine teeth or even a slight tint to their skin. But this does nothing to assuage how out of place they are amongst their own people or even other civilized folks. They are inherently of the strange and misunderstood and the more perceptive or sensitive can see this in them. Those who rise above the scorn, fear and hate that may come their way have inside them the greatness to become heroes; and those who fall under the heel of discrimination and hatred can metamorphose into monsters far greater than to what they call kin.

Role: The Wyrd-blooded vary in role just as widely as they vary in ability. As a whole they have the build of one designed for the front lines of combat but each individual has inside of them the capability to fill such places as the face for their party or even a manipulator of the battlefield.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Dice: d8

Class skills: See Below
Skills: 4+Intelligence Modifier per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|
Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|
Innate Skill, Uncanny Heritage

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|
Bonus Feat, Resilient Flesh

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|
Stuff of Legends

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|
Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|
-

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+5|
Bonus Feat

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+5|
-

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+6|
Bonus feat

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|
-

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|
Bonus Feat

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+7|
-

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+8|
Bonus Feat

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+8|
-

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+9|
Bonus Feat

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+9|
-

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+10|
Bonus Feat

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|
-

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|
Bonus Feat

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|
-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|
Bonus Feat
[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wyrd-blooded are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and light armor.

Innate Skill: Any levels in the Wyrd-blooded class stack with levels in a spellcasting/initiator/manifesting class for the purpose of determining caster/initiator/manifester level and highest spell/maneuver/power known.

Uncanny Heritage: Wyrd-blooded are mortals touched by the strange and bizarre, descendants of entities who possess amazing powers, skills and traits that are above and beyond what is capable of their other parent race. When a Wyrd-blooded takes their first level in this class they select one of the creatures listed below. This selection is permanent and can not be changed at a later time. A Wyrd-blooded gains class skills and abilities as they accrue levels in this class or other classes as noted by their Uncanny Heritage choice.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, and every even level thereafter, a Wyrd-blooded gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement. These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as Combat feats, sometimes also called "fighter bonus feats".

Resilient Flesh (Ex): The skin of a Wyrd-blooded is more akin to finely crafted armor than the weak meat normally associated with their parent race. A Wyrd-blooded possess a natural armor bonus equal to their Constitution modifier. This stacks with any other natural armor the Wyrd-blooded possesses.

Stuff of Legends (Su): The Wyrd-blooded's inhuman roots affects not only their mind and body but also their very time on this earth. A Wyrd-blooded's longevity becomes herculean, the length of each of their age categories multiplied by 5.

Uncanny Heritages

Darktentacles
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Darktentacles.gif

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Dungeoneering (Int), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis)

Swamp’s Caress (Ex) : At 1st level, a Wyrd-blooded can grow a thick tendril from its body. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded grows a tentacle and gains a Slam attack that deals damage normal for its size. This tentacle is not dexterous enough to wield a weapon or perform any action or motion that a normal hand is capable of. For every four further levels in this class, a Wyrd-blooded can grow an extra tentacle to a maximum of 5 at 17th level.

Feel through the muck(Ex): At 3rd level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes more in-tune to their surroundings. A Wyrd-blooded gains tremorsense out to 12 feet. This improves by 12 feet for every four levels in this class to a maximum of 60 feet at 19th level.

Uncanny body and mind (Ex): At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Constitution and Wisdom.

At 5th, 9th, 13th and 19th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Strength and Intelligence.

Dancing Tendrils (Ex): At 5th level, a Wyrd-blooded learns how to use its horrific birth-rite for defense. For every tentacle that a Wyrd-blooded has produced they gain a +1 Shield bonus to their AC.

Bayou Hex: At 7th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains access to innate sorcerous powers. They may cast Charm Monster (1/day per 2 levels in this class) as a spell-like ability. Additionally they gain a swim speed equal to half their base land speed.

Embrace of the Marsh (Ex): At 9th level, a Wyrd-blooded learns how to use their tentacles for more deadly pursuits. A Wyrd-blooded gains a Constrict attack that deals 2d6+Strength modifier damage.

Improved Bayou Hex: At 11th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s gains further understanding into its own innate sorcery. They may cast Hold Monster (1/day per level in this class) as a spell-like ability.

I want to be like you(Ex): At 13th level, a Wyrd-blooded learns to command its tentacles as if they were their own two hands. A Wyrd-blooded may wield any weapon that he normally could with any of the tentacles that he is capable of growing. For example, a 17th level Wyrd-blooded could wield three Greataxes and a rapier since they would have two hands and five tentacles.

Master Bayou Hex: At 15th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains mastery over its innate sorcerous power. They may cast Wall of Force (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as a spell-like ability.

Tentacle Mastery (Ex): At 17th level, a Wyrd-blooded has learned to act in tandem with its many limbs. The penalty for using multiple weapons is lessened by 2 for both the main hand and each off-hand weapon the Wyrd-blooded uses.

Sacrificial Limb (Ex): At 19th level, a Wyrd-blooded is capable of utilizing its tentacles to avoid fatal harm. If a Wyrd-blooded is subject to a spell or effect that would deal lesser damage on a successful saving throw it takes half damage on a failed result and no damage on a successful result. Additionally a Wyrd-blooded is treated as having 5% Fortification for each tentacle it has grown.

If a Wyrd-blooded would be subject to damage, a spell or an effect that would kill it, they instead lose one of the tentacles that they currently have grown. A Wyrd-blooded regrows one tentacle after 24 hours of rest and cannot use this aspect of this ability if they currently have no tentacles grown.

Gray Ooze
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/GrayOoze.jpg

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Knowledge: Dungeoneering (Int), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis)

Dissolving Touch(Ex) : At 1st level, a Wyrd-blooded can exude a potent digestive enzyme from its finger tips. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded may coat any limb in this enzyme and the coating becomes inert and flakes away after 1d4+ the Wyrd-blooded’s Constitution modifier rounds. While coated the Wyrd-blooded may make a melee touch attack that deals 1d6 acid damage. This damage improves every two levels in this class to a maximum of 10d6 at 19th level.

Sixth Hunger(Ex): At 3rd level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes able to sense the world around them, no longer needing to rely on their eyes or ears. A Wyrd-blooded gains blindsight out to 12 feet. This improves by 12 feet for every four levels in this class to a maximum of 60 feet at 19th level.

Uncanny body and mind (Ex): At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Constitution and Wisdom.

At 5th, 9th, 13th and 19th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Strength and Intelligence.

Flexible skeleton (Ex): At 5th level, a Wyrd-blooded finds that their skeletal structure has become less rigid. The Wyrd-blooded can compress their body enough to slip through any hole or crack that is at least 1 inch wide. Additionally they receive a racial bonus to Escape Artist skill checks equal to ½ their levels in this class.

Insulated Flesh (Ex): At 7th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s body becomes more adept at keeping out burning heat and chilling cold. The Wyrd-blooded gains resistance to Cold and Fire damage equal to half their total Hit Dice.

Embrace of the Marsh (Ex): At 9th level, a Wyrd-blooded learns how to use their tentacles for more deadly pursuits. A Wyrd-blooded gains a Constrict attack that deals 2d6+Strength modifier damage.

Dungeon Wrestler (Ex): At 11th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s finds that they become harder to move and are more adept at grasping their foes. The Wyrd-blooded can no longer be tripped and gains a racial bonus to grappling checks equal to ½ their total Hit Dice.

Body Regression(Ex): At 13th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s body begins to lose its cohesion. The Wyrd-blooded is rendered permanently blind (gaining all the benefits and penalties of the state) and can no longer be flanked. Additionally they no longer need to sleep and gain immunity to sleep effects.

Natural Camouflage (Ex): At 15th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s flesh becomes more pale and transparent, aiding them in stealth. The Wyrd-blooded gains the Hide in Plain Sight ability, able to make stealth checks even when being observed.

Primordial Form(Ex): At 17th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s body regressive even farther from a solid state. The Wyrd-blooded gains immunity to critical hits, poison, paralysis, polymorph and stunning.

Think like an Ooze (Ex): At 19th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s mind becomes as regressed as its body, making it difficult to affect or read. The Wyrd-blooded gains immunity to all mind-affecting effects and is treated as if under a constant, extraordinary mind blank. Additionally the Wyrd-blooded is immune to any ability damage to its Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores.

Illithid
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Illithid.jpg

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Any Two (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex),

Mental Lance : At 1st level, a Wyrd-blooded can form its very thoughts into a potent weapon. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded may use its Mental Lance, which functions like a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. It is subject to spell resistance and is the equivalent of a spell equal to one half the Wyrd-blooded’s level (minimum 1st, maximum 9th). A Mental Lance deals 1d6 damage, improving every 3 levels afterwards to a maximum of 7d6 at 19th level.

Aberrant Presence (Ex): At 3rd level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes harder to affect by magic. A Wyrd-blooded gains Spell Resistance equal to 17+ their total Hit Dice.

Uncanny body and mind (Ex): At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Strength and Intelligence.

At 5th, 9th, 13th and 19th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Dexterity and Charisma.

Brain Casting: At 5th level, a Wyrd-blooded begins to develop innate psionic abilities. A Wyrd-blooded gains the psionic subtype and may cast Psionic Charm (1/day per level in this class), Mind Thrust (1/day per 2 levels in this class), Detect Psionics (1/day per level in this class) and Id Insinuation (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as psi-like abilities.

Predator of Ego (Su): At 7th level, a Wyrd-blooded unlocks more of their mental prowess. A target of their Mental Lance must succeed on a DC 11+ ½ Wyrd-blooded’s total Hit Dice+ Wyrd-blooded’s Intelligence modifier or become shaken for 2d4 rounds. Additionally a Wyrd-blooded gains telepathy out to 100 feet.

Improved Brain Casting: At 9th level, a Wyrd-blooded further develops its innate psionic abilities. They may cast Dispel Psionics (1/day per level in this class), Read Thoughts (1/day per 2 levels in this class), Psionic Suggestion (1/day per level in this class) and Psionic Levitate (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as psi-like abilities.

Vessel of the Mind (Ex): At 11th level, a Wyrd-blooded’s mind becomes the driving force of its existence, its body more of a puppet. The Wyrd-blooded gains immunity to paralysis and 25% Fortification.

Hunger for Id (Su): At 13th level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes more of a dangerous predator of thought. A target of their Mental Lance must succeed on a DC 11+ ½ Wyrd-blooded’s total Hit Dice + Wyrd-blooded’s Intelligence modifier or become nauseated for 2d4 rounds. This ability stacks with Predator of Ego.

Master Brain Casting: At 15th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains mastery over its innate psionic abilities. They may cast Intellect Fortress (1/day per level in this class), Psionic Plane shift (1/day per 2 levels in this class), Psionic Dimension Door (1/day per level in this class) and Psionic Dominate (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as psi-like abilities.

Cerebral Hunter (Su): At 17th level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes a consummate hunter of the mind. A target of their Mental Lance must succeed on a DC 11 + ½ Wyrd-blooded’s total Hit Dice + Wyrd-blooded’s Intelligence modifier or be treated as being affected by a Bestow Curse spell. This ability stacks with Hunger for Id and Predator of Ego.

Lord of Thought (Su): At 19th level, a Wyrd-blooded is capable of utilizing his mental prowess to fashion the perfect Thrall. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded can select one target within 60 feet of themselves who has less Hit Dice than they. The target must succeed on a DC 15 + ½ Wyrd-blooded’s total Hit Dice + Wyrd-blooded’s Intelligence modifier Will save or be treated as if permanently affected by the Psionic Dominate power. Any creature that successfully saves against this ability is immune to it for 24 hours. The new Thrall does not make new saving throws for going against their nature and does not receive a new saving throw if the Wyrd-blooded does not concentrate on the effect.

A thrall created through this ability is treated as an animal companion and the Wyrd-blooded’s effective Druid level is equal to their levels in this class.

This ability is a mind-affecting effect and a Wyrd-blooded may only have one thrall at any time.

Slaad
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Slaad.jpg

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Knowledge: Planes (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis)

Weapon of Chaos (Su): At 1st level a Wyrd-blooded is able to form a Weapon of Chaos as a standard action. Roll a 1d6 and consult the table below to determine what natural weapon the Wyrd-blooded forms. Damage is normal for the Wyrd-blooded's size.

{table=head]
Dice Result|
Natural Weapon
1|
Claw
2|
Bite
3|
Slam
4|
Gore
5|
Spike*
6|
Roll twice**[/table]
* A Spike natural weapon is a ranged attack that does 1d8 damage, deals piercing damage and has a 30 foot range.
**This result can only occur once. If rolled a second time, re-roll that dice result.

Skin of Anarchy (Ex): At 3rd level a Wyrd-blooded heals physical damage at a rapid rate. They gain Damage Reduction overcome by Lawfully aligned weapons and effects equal to half their total Hit dice.

Uncanny body and mind (Ex): At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Constitution and Charisma.

At 5th, 9th, 13th and 19th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Strength and Wisdom.

Toad Magic: At 5th level a Wyrd-blooded gains some innate sorcery. They may cast Chaos Hammer (usable 1/day per level in this class), Detect Magic (usable 1/day per level in this class), Invisibility (usable 1/day per four levels in this class) and Protection against Law (usable 1/day per two levels in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Limbo Endurance (Ex): At 7th level a Wyrd-blooded becomes to inured to the elements. A Wyrd-blooded gains resistance to Sonic damage equal to half their total Hit Dice and resistance to Acid, Cold, Electricity and Fire damage equal to one quarter their total Hit Dice.

Once per encounter a Wyrd-blooded can steel themselves to become even more enduring. As a swift action they can double these resistances for the span of the encounter, becoming fatigued once the encounter ends (or exhausted if already fatigued.). A Wyrd-blooded can not use this ability if exhausted and can use it a number of times per day equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1).

Form of Chaos (Su): At 9th level a Wyrd-blooded can alter their form to move in a strange new way as a standard action. Roll 1d6 and consult the table below to determine the movement mode they gain. The speed of these movement modes are equal to the Wyrd-blooded's base land speed unless noted otherwise.

{table=head]
Dice Result|
Movement Mode
1|
Swim
2|
Flight
3|
Burrow
4|
+10 all Movement modes*
5|
-5 all Movement modes, gain Stability**
6|
Roll twice[/table]
*This bonus stacks with itself and any other movement increments.
**This bonus stacks with itself and any other such bonuses. Movement speeds can not be dropped lower than 5.

Chaotic Metabolism (Ex): At 11th level a Wyrd-blooded's body repairs itself from all damage at a fantastic rate. A Wyrd-blooded gains Fast Healing equal to one quarter their total Hit Dice.

Once per encounter a Wyrd-blooded can accelerate their metabolic systems, healing at an even greater rate. As a swift action they can double their Fast Healing for an amount of rounds equal to 1+their Constitution modifier, becoming fatigued once the encounter ends (or exhausted if already fatigued). A Wyrd-blooded can not use this ability if exhausted and can use it a number of times per day equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1).

Predator of Limbo (Ex): At 13th level a Wyrd-blooded becomes more of a hunter, adapted to the chase of its favored prey.

A Wyrd-blooded can release a loud, stunning croak. Every creature within 20 feet must succeed on a DC 11+1/2 Wyrd-blooded's total class levels+Wyrd-blooded's Constitution modifier Fortitude Save or become stunned for 1d3 rounds. A Wyrd-blooded can use this ability a number of times per day equal to their Constitution modifier (Minimum 1).

If a Wyrd-blooded charges, it can make a full-attack action in the same round.

Advanced Toad Magic: At 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains further understanding to its innate sorcery. They may cast Fear (1/day per two levels in this class), Lightning Bolt (1/day per level in this class), Shatter (1/day per level in this class), and Word of Chaos (1/day per four levels in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Anarchic Shape (Su): At 17th level a Wyrd-blooded's form becomes even more mutable. A Wyrd-blooded may use Alter Self at will and can use Greater Polymorph 1/day.

Fury of Limbo (Su): At 19th level a Wyrd-blooded can wield and unleash the Warpwave on any one corporeal creature within in 100 feet. The target can resist the effects of the Warpwave with a successful DC 11+1/2 the Wyrd-blooded's total class levels+Wyrd-blooded's Constitution modifier. A Wyrd-blooded can use this ability a number of times per day equal to its Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

{table=head]
d20|
Warpwave effect
1|
Target takes 2 Strength damage.
2|
Target takes 2 Dexterity damage.
3|
Target takes 2 Constitution damage.
4|
Target takes 2 Intelligence damage.
5|
Target takes 2 Wisdom damage.
6|
Target takes 2 Charisma damage.
7|
Target gains 1 negative level.
8|
Target is blinded or deafened for 1d4 rounds.
9|
Target is confused for 1d4 rounds.
10|
Target is entangled by filaments of energy for 1d4 rounds.
11|
Target becomes fatigued (or exhausted if already fatigued).
12|
Target becomes nauseated for 1d4 rounds.
13|
Target is stunned for 1d4 rounds.
14|
Target is sickened for 1d4 rounds.
15|
Target is staggered for 1d4 rounds.
16|
Target gains 4d6 temporary hit points.
17|
Target is affected by a heal spell.
18|
Target is turned to stone.
19|
Target is affected by baleful polymorph.
20|
Portions of target’s body burst with energy of a random type (choose between acid, cold, electricity, or fire), dealing 4d6 points of damage of the appropriate type to the target.[/table]

Sphinx
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Sphinx.jpg

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: All (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Knowledge of the Sphinx (Ex): At 1st level a Wyrd-blooded finds themselves possessing a font of inborn knowledge regardless of their own experience. A Wyrd-blooded adds their levels in this class to all Knowledge skill checks and may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

Dangerous Riddle (Su): At 3rd level a Wyrd-blooded is able to craft their words into a curse for those who fails to comprehend them. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded may select one target they are aware of, forcing the target to make an opposing intelligence check with the Wyrd-blooded. If the target fails they receive a -1 penalty per four hit dice the Wyrd-blooded possesses to all skill checks, attack rolls and saving throws for 1 hour per each hit dice that the Wyrd-blooded possesses. This is a sonic and mind-affecting effect that requires the target to have an Intelligence score of at least 3 and to share a language with the Wyrd-blooded. A Wyrd-blooded can use this ability a number of times per day equal to their Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

Uncanny body and mind (Ex): At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Dexterity and Intelligence.

At 5th, 9th, 13th and 19th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Strength and Wisdom.

Scholar's Arts: At 5th level a Wyrd-blooded gains some innate sorcery. They may cast Comprehend Languages (1/day per level in this class), Detect Magic (1/day per level in this class), Read Magic (1/day per two levels in this class) and See Invisibility (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Wings of the Desert (Ex): At 7th level a Wyrd-blooded grows a pair of magnificent feathered wings that bore them aloft to higher heights of learning. A Wyrd-blooded gains a flight speed of 20 feet per four levels in this class with poor maneuverability.

Improved Scholar's Arts: At 9th level a Wyrd-blooded gains further understanding of it's innate sorcery. They may cast Clairvoyance (1/day per four levels in this class), Dispel Magic (1/day per two levels in this class), Locate Object (1/day per level in this class) and Remove Curse (1/day per level in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Draining Brain Teaser (Su): At 11th level a Wyrd-blooded's ability as a wordsmith becomes more devastating. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded may select one target they are aware of, forcing the target to make an opposing intelligence check with the Wyrd-blooded. If the target fails they take 1 point of ability damage to a mental score of the Wyrd-blooded's choice. The Wyrd-blooded in addition gains a +1 bonus per four levels in this class to all mental skill checks for one hour. This is a sonic and mind-affecting effect that requires the target to have an Intelligence score of at least 3 and to share a language with the Wyrd-blooded. A Wyrd-blooded can use this ability a number of times per day equal to half their Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

Predator of Thought: At 13th level a Wyrd-blooded may cast Legend Lore (1/day per four levels in this class) as spell-like ability.

If a Wyrd-blooded charges, it can make a full-attack action in the same round.

Devouring Conundrum (Su): At 15th level a Wyrd-blooded crafting of mystical words become far more entrapping. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded may select one target they are aware of, forcing the target to make an opposing intelligence check with the Wyrd-blooded. If the target fails they take 1 point of ability damage to a physical score of the Wyrd-blooded's choice. The Wyrd-blooded in addition gains 5 temporary hit points per four levels in this class for one hour. This is a sonic and mind-affecting effect that requires the target to have an Intelligence score of at least 3 and to share a language with the Wyrd-blooded. A Wyrd-blooded can use this ability a number of times per day equal to half their Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

Master Scholar's Arts: At 17th level a Wyrd-blooded gains complete mastery of their innate sorcery. They may cast Symbol of Fear (1/week per four levels in this class), Symbol of Pain (1/week per four levels in this class), Symbol of Persuasion (1/week per four levels in this class), Symbol of Sleep (1/week per four levels in this class) and Symbol of Stunning (1/week per for levels in this class) as spell-like abilities. These symbols last for 1 week after being created.

Pyrrhic Puzzlement (Su): At 19th level even speaking to a Wyrd-blooded is a fatal error. As a standard action a Wyrd-blooded may select one target they are aware of, forcing the target to make an opposing intelligence check with the Wyrd-blooded. If the target fails they gain 2d4 negative levels and the Wyrd-blooded gains 2d4x5 temporary hit points for 1 hour. If the target succeeds they still gain 1d4 negative levels and the Wyrd-blooded gains 1d4x5 temporary hit points for 1 hour. This is a sonic and mind-affecting effect that requires the target to have an Intelligence score of at least 3 and to share a language with the Wyrd-blooded. A Wyrd-blooded can use this ability a number of times per day equal to one-quarter their Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

Adaptation: The Intelligence based abilities of this class, such as Dangerous Riddle, may seem boring to some game groups because of their static, pure mechanical nature. A DM may instead allow the use of actual riddles to be used in conjunction with the ability, with success or failure determined by being able to solve the riddle. Characters with high intelligence scores should be slipped hints to solve the riddle, while characters with low intelligence scores should be slipped false hints.

Troll
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Troll.jpg

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Local (Int), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)

Vigorous Health (Ex): At 1st level, a Wyrd-blooded's physiology is in a state of constantly renewing itself. Whenever a Wyrd-blooded is subjugated to Hit point damage determined by a dice roll, re-roll the damage and take the lower of the two values.

Surge of Fortitude (Ex): At 3rd level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes tougher to kill once their lives are in danger. A Wyrd-blooded gains Fast Healing equal to 1/4 of their Hit Dice (minimum 1). This Fast Healing only functions when a Wyrd-blooded is below half health and ceases to function when the Wyrd-blooded is at half health or higher.

At 5th, 9th, 13th and 19th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Strength and Charisma.

Regeneration (Ex): At 5th level, a Wyrd-blooded begins to tap into its Troll heritage. A Wyrd-blooded can reattach severed limbs and organs instantly by holding them to the affected area. Lost limbs or organs regrow over a span of 1d6 hours. This ability does not prevent a Wyrd-blooded from dying because of decapitation or similarly extreme dismemberment.

War Fervor (Ex): At 7th level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes a more deadly opponent the longer they fight. During an encounter, whenever a Wyrd-blooded suffers an amount of damage equal to 10% of their total health (either at once or cumulatively) they gain a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls and suffer a -1 penalty to AC. These bonuses and penalties cap at +8/-8 and end one minute after combat has ended.

Font of Life (Su): At 9th level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes so charged with lifeforce that they become difficult to affect. A Wyrd-blooded gains a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against Necromancy and Death effects.

In the Footsteps of Giants (Ex): At 11th level, though a Wyrd-blooded is no larger than normal they hold the weight of a true Troll. A Wyrd-blooded functions in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Wyrd-blooded is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a combat maneuver or opposed check (such as during a grapple, bull rush attempt, and trip attempts), the Wyrd-blooded is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to them. A Wyrd-blooded is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect them. A Wyrd-blooded can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, their space and reach remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this class ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Resilient Health (Ex): At 13th level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes the epitome of hardiness. A Wyrd-blooded is immune to disease (even magical ones) and poisons and is capable of gaining sustenance from any form of organic material.

Stubborn Existence (Su): At 15th level, a Wyrd-blooded becomes even more difficult to kill. Any time an effect or method would kill a Wyrd-blooded, before they are considered dead they are treated as being affected by a Regenerate spell (Caster level equal to the Wyrd-blooded's class level). This ability is usable an amount of times per week equal to the Wyrd-blooded's Constitution modifier (minimum 1). [This ability does not activate if in an Anti-magic field but does activate once the Wyrd-blooded leaves the field.]

Troll's Blood (Ex): At 17th level, a Wyrd-blooded comes full into their durable parentage. A Wyrd-blooded gains Regeneration suppressible by Fire or Acid equal to 1/4 their Hit Dice.

Primal Wrath (Su): At 19th level, a Wyrd-blooded is capable of unlocking a terrifying transformation inside of themselves. Once per encounter, as a standard action, a Wyrd-blooded can enter a Primal Rage. They grow to Huge size category, gain two Slam attacks, gain use of the Awesome Blow feat and lose either the Acid or Fire vulnerability of their Regeneration. A Wyrd-blooded is exhausted once leaving a Primal Rage and requires one hour of complete rest to recover. A Wyrd-blooded can enter a Primal Rage an amount of times per day equal to 1/2 their Constitution modifier.

Vampire
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Vampire.jpg

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Local (Int), Knowledge: Religion (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex)

Umbral Thirst (Ex): At 1st level, a Wyrd-blooded feels the blasphemous thirst that plagued their ancestors. Whenever a creature that bleeds (including the Wyrd-blooded) is dealt damage within 30 feet of the Wyrd-blooded he become far more aggressive, gaining a +1 racial bonus to attack and damage rolls and taking a -1 penalty to AC. For every four levels after first that they possess in this class this increases by +1/-1 to a maximum of +5/-5 at level 17. This ability lasts for the duration of the encounter it was activated in.

Damned Flesh (Ex): At 3rd level, a Wyrd-blooded body naturally turns away harm. A Wyrd-blooded gains Damage Reduction equal to 1/2 of their Hit Dice (minimum 1) that is bypassable by weapons that are both silver and magic.

Uncanny body and mind (Ex): At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level a Wyrd-blooded gains a +1 permanent increase to Dexterity and Charisma.

Dark Whispers : At 5th level, a Wyrd-blooded begins to gain access to unholy sorceries. They may cast Charm Person (1/day per level in this class), Fog Cloud (1/day per 2 levels in this class), Expeditious Retreat (1/day per level in this class) and Blur (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Hunter's Pride (Ex): At 7th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains innate insight into their place in the world and become more in-tune to their vampiric roots. A Wyrd-blooded gains a racial bonus to Bluff, Perception, Sense Motive and Stealth skill checks equal to 1/4 their level in this class. In addition they act as if always under the effects of the Spider Climb spell.

Unholy Vitality (Ex): At 9th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains access to the prodigious durability of the vampire. A Wyrd-blooded gains resistance to Electricity and Cold equal to 1/2 their total Hit Dice. In addition they gain Fast Healing equal to 1/4 their total Hit Dice.

Dark Influence: At 11th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains further insight into their innate magic. They may cast Hurricane Blast (1/day per level in this class), Solid Fog (1/day per 2 levels in this class), Shadow Step (1/day per level in this class) and Nightmare (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Tenuous Lifeforce (Su): At 13th level, a Wyrd-blooded body is warped, degrading to a state farther from living. A Wyrd-blooded gains immunity to bleed effects, disease, poison and sleep effects.

Dark Madness: At 15th level, a Wyrd-blooded gains further insight into their dark magics. They may cast Control Undead (1/day per level in this class), Animate Dead (1/day per 2 levels in this class), Control Weather (1/day per level in this class) and Create Undead (1/day per 4 levels in this class) as spell-like abilities.

Severed Lifeforce (Su): At 17th level, a Wyrd-blooded degrades almost to a state of true Undeath. A wyrd-blooded gains immunity to death effects, mind affecting effects, paralysis, and stunning.

Blood is the Currency of the Soul (Su): At 19th level, a Wyrd-blooded is capable of preforming a profane ritual with their soul as the focus. Once per day a Wyrd-blooded may drink of the blood of a foe they personally slew in battle and mediate upon the moment of their death for ten minutes. After the ten minutes elapse a Wyrd-blooded gains access to a Corpse Familiar. A Corpse Familiar is a blasphemous replica of the slain creature and resides in the Wyrd-blooded's soul until summoned. A Wyrd-blooded may summon a Corpse Familiar as a full-round action. A Corpse Familiar is an exact replica of the slain creature except that it possesses Fast Healing 3, Undead traits and follows the Wyrd-blooded's commands without question. A Wyrd-blooded may have no more than 1/4 its total Hit Dice in Corpse Familiars. Once a Corpse Familiar is destroyed it is permanently destroyed; no method can raise or resurrect a Corpse Familiar (although a Corpse Familiar can be recreated if the original creature is brought back to life and killed once again).

If a Wyrd-blooded would be killed and they still have any Corpse Familiars unsummoned, a Corpse Familiar is instead destroyed. The Wyrd-blooded is then healed to half their total hit points, regenerate any lost limbs or organs and restore twice their Charisma modifier in ability damage/drain.

Change Log 4/17/11 - Added forgotten limits per day to Fury of Limbo and added minimum once per day clarification to other abilities that have limited usages.

Added the Stuff of Legends ability in.

4/19/11 - Troll Heritage added.

4/22/11 - Reworded Innate Skill to be less confusing.

4/27/11 - Sphinx Heritage added. Also added spoiler to initial blurb for size sake.
Re-wrote Pyrrhic Puzzlement so it was less clunky an ability and more useful for combat.

6/20/11 - Added fluff for the class and changed the formatting for the class to make it more presentable.
Changed around some confusing wording in Stuff of Legends.

6/22/11 - Vampire Heritage added.

6/23/11 - Reworded and reworked several abilities because of suggestions from Magicyop.

6/26/11 - Darktentacles and Illithid Heritages added.
Changed what Innate Skill applies to.

6/29/11 - Gray Ooze Heritage added. Changed Feel through the muck on the Darktentacles Heritage from a static bonus to a scaling one.
Added forgotten (Ex) tag to Dancing Tendrils.

Comments

-Well, this is my attempt at the class. I gave it a fast BaB progression because I envision this class as being at the forefront of the melee in combat. I made it have good Reflex and Will progression because I envisioned a more flexible, iron-willed kind of fighter like a Jedi or ninja instead of a stocky bruiser like a barbarian or tavern brawler. I gave it a 4+Int because I like this when it comes to melee classes ala the Barbarian. Not too few points as to be nearly crippling and not too many to make the class too good at multiple things. The d8 Hit Dice is to match the Monk's and to balance this class out somewhat.

- Well, I added an ability I had originally meant to include but had forgotten before this morning. I honestly don't see how slowing down aging or stopping it is such a high level ability. Games rarely span the amount of time where they'd really come into play and magical aging or similar effects exist really only in the realm of DM fiat. Sure you can get Optimizers or Munchkins who will take advantage of it (looking at you Dragonwrought Kobold) but there are for more effective avenues of pimping your character's stats then fiddling with their age.

- The Vampire Heritage is so far the only Heritage that is quite different from the original creature. The reasoning behind this is that the Vampire template gives so few things that can be stretched over 20 levels and the fact that some of its abilities I didn't want to include in this class because it would just make it feel like the template was hastily tacked on. I modeled some of the class after the Weather manipulation that Dracula was capable of and the capstone is blatantly ripped off from the awesomeness that is Hellsing's Alucard. :smalltongue:

That's all for now.

Volthawk
2011-04-16, 04:34 PM
Well, for outsiders, two I've found before are Demigod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144942)and Unique Outsider (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77010) (planetouched are Outsiders, after all...). You could take ideas from those two.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-16, 05:18 PM
Well, for outsiders, two I've found before are Demigod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144942)and Unique Outsider (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77010) (planetouched are Outsiders, after all...). You could take ideas from those two.

The Unique Outsider one does look like it could be a good measuring stick or at least base line for what to build here. Thanks for the links!

Volthawk
2011-04-16, 05:32 PM
The Unique Outsider one does look like it could be a good measuring stick or at least base line for what to build here. Thanks for the links!

No worries. Another thing that might fit is the Evolutionist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112349), but some have disputed it's balance. Still, you can take ideas from it. Perhaps something like the mutations could be used here, with options depending on your ancestry (you could have the same options for everyone, with the fluff depending on ancestry, and maybe some type-specific things)

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-16, 05:51 PM
I actually have an idea or two now and I think I'll take a crack at writing this up myself. Though I've got some ironing to finish, so if the folks at home watching could be a little patient I'd greatly appreciate it. :smallredface:

Welknair
2011-04-16, 08:32 PM
My Half-Blood Bloodline works well with the children of gods, but is a bloodline instead of a base class. Not really what you're looking for. Interested to see what you come up with.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-16, 09:39 PM
Well, my attempt is up there in the first post.

I'm not that confident in my homebrewing ability so I just did one Heritage example and I honestly have no clue how powerful this class is (i.e. what Tier.)

And I should probably go add a change log and a comments section.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-17, 09:12 PM
Alright, I added in an ability for the 3rd level that I had forgotten to add in when I first created the class. A few other minor changes are noted in the change log and I added a thought about the new ability to the comments log.

I have an idea for a Troll, Sphinx and maybe Shade/Shadow heritage but I don't want to start working on them before I get some feedback.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-19, 02:27 PM
Well, still no comments but I'm assuming for now that it's because I only have one Heritage listed and it's not enough to make a real call on just that.

So I've added in the Troll Heritage and hopefully this time around I'll get some comments on what Tier this class might be shaping up to look like.

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-19, 03:05 PM
Memory serves that someone had started a kind of Jinchuriki base class for Elans and Abominations but I didn't pay close enough attention to it and it was only close to what I'm looking for currently. :smallredface:

Prestige Class, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10474324#post10474324)
Anyway, yours is better in that your not a special-snowflake-veering-on-Mary-Sue if you take this base class (unlike my prestige class) - you just happen to be related to some wacky critters.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-22, 09:44 AM
Prestige Class, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10474324#post10474324)
Anyway, yours is better in that your not a special-snowflake-veering-on-Mary-Sue if you take this base class (unlike my prestige class) - you just happen to be related to some wacky critters.

There it is! And I'm glad to see you're working on it again. Though my point still is that, without infinite pp cheats, you only get a limited amount of copies with the Phane so its not too broken. But yeah, put a limit to prevent cheating.

Any comments on my class though?

TheGeckoKing
2011-04-22, 10:38 AM
Comments on your class? Sure!

With regards to Innate Skill, you'll need to clarify that. I'm not sure if it means "+ 1 spellcasting/initiating class" or if it's "+1 caster/initiating level".

I notice it doesn't have a capstone, past a bonus feat. Surely you can think up of something cooler, huh?

Slaad Heritage looks fine, but I have one quip with the Troll heritage. Why doesn't it gain Regeneration earlier? I'm sure it wouldn't be broken as long as you give it out, say 13th level.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-22, 10:46 AM
Comments on your class? Sure!

With regards to Innate Skill, you'll need to clarify that. I'm not sure if it means "+ 1 spellcasting/initiating class" or if it's "+1 caster/initiating level".

I notice it doesn't have a capstone, past a bonus feat. Surely you can think up of something cooler, huh?

Slaad Heritage looks fine, but I have one quip with the Troll heritage. Why doesn't it gain Regeneration earlier? I'm sure it wouldn't be broken as long as you give it out, say 13th level.

It's the second. I'll see if I can reword it better.

I felt that the overall power that each Heritage gave meant that a capstone might push it overboard. So, no offense meant at all, until I hear a few more people saying that a capstone wouldn't overpower the class, I'll keep it as is there.

Regeneration is just generally seen as a very powerful ability and I know a lot of players view it as something that a PC shouldn't ever have in their repertoire (I mean, look how apprehensive people can get over Fast Healing). With it coming near the end of the class then they're definitely getting at a point when the game won't break from the PC having it. Again, if more folks believe it could be had at a lower level, I'll consider changing it.

Thanks for the feedback. ^_^

Might start working on a Sphinx heritage soon.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-27, 04:34 PM
The Sphinx Heritage is up!

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-21, 12:23 PM
Added in fluff for the class (finally). I also re-did the text formatting for the class to make it less blah looking and more presentable.

I'm currently in the works on coming up with a Vampire heritage.

Yitzi
2011-06-21, 02:18 PM
Better make it so you can only count the levels toward Caster Level for one casting class...otherwise it opens up abuse.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-21, 02:21 PM
Better make it so you can only count the levels toward Caster Level for one casting class...otherwise it opens up abuse.

Other than Ur-Priest or Sublime Chord, I don't see how. And those classes are already broken.

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-21, 02:47 PM
Say you take 18 levels of Wyrd-blooded, then a level in wizard and a level in cleric. As written, you now cast as a 19th level wizard and a 19th level cleric. That's what they are referring to as abuse.

Also, the Stuff of Legends ability is a bit off. You say they age at 1/5 the rate, and then say they age as normal for each year that actually passes. I think you need to replace the 'actual' there with 'effective' in order to have any effect.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-21, 02:52 PM
Say you take 18 levels of Wyrd-blooded, then a level in wizard and a level in cleric. As written, you now cast as a 19th level wizard and a 19th level cleric. That's what they are referring to as abuse.

No, if you're a Wyrd-blooded 18/Cleric 1/Wizard 1 you have a Wizard caster level of 19 and a Cleric caster level of 19 but only have access to first level spells since it doesn't affect spells per day.

Caster level =/= Spellcaster level.

Also, the Stuff of Legends ability is a bit off. You say they age at 1/5 the rate, and then say they age as normal for each year that actually passes. I think you need to replace the 'actual' there with 'effective' in order to have any effect.

Yes, actually passes. If 10 years go by, the Wyrd-blooded only ages 2. Though I'll change it to effective if it's that confusing.

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-21, 03:43 PM
The class description says it affects caster level and maximum spell known. That's where it implies that it affects how powerful spells you can cast. If you meant that it affects spells known, then just say it affects caster level and spells known, but not spells per day. In addition, stacking with other classes for maneuvers known is broken because you could initiate as a 19th level swordsage and a 19th level warblade.

When you say actually passes, it implies the years that really go by, for example; 5 years actually passed by, but he only aged one year; Effective is much clearer that it is referring to the years after the 1/5 reduction.

The Tygre
2011-06-21, 03:53 PM
So, are you taking suggestions for heritages? Because I'd like to vouch for Vampire Heritage, like good ol' D up there on his cyborg horse.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-21, 08:53 PM
The class description says it affects caster level and maximum spell known. That's where it implies that it affects how powerful spells you can cast. If you meant that it affects spells known, then just say it affects caster level and spells known, but not spells per day. In addition, stacking with other classes for maneuvers known is broken because you could initiate as a 19th level swordsage and a 19th level warblade.

Spell known =/= spell that can be cast. That line was only added in for completeness sake and affects the Initiators far more than a regular spellcaster. If somehow a spellcaster could add a spell to their spell book/spells known/etc. without needing to be able to cast it then the example build could add a 9th level spell. But they can't cast it since they don't have 9th level spell slots.

I don't need to add in anything extra because it's obvious that it only affects spells known, not spells cast or spells per day. Because if it did I would have used the wording any prestige class that furthers abilities uses.

And it's not really broken since you'd be still limited to the amount of maneuvers that an Initiator has access to with a one level dip. You'd know 6 Swordsage maneuvers, 3 Warblade maneuvers and have 2 stances. Just looking at Iron Heart maneuvers, the only 9th level maneuver requires you to know 4 Iron Heart maneuvers. So even though you can technically learn 9th level maneuvers you'd need to blow 2 feats on Martial Study in order to even learn one. And even then, a 20th level character knowing a scant amount of high level options isn't game breaking, especially if they need to possibly mess up their builds to do it.

When you say actually passes, it implies the years that really go by, for example; 5 years actually passed by, but he only aged one year; Effective is much clearer that it is referring to the years after the 1/5 reduction.

I added effective. :smallconfused:

@Tyger: I am most certainly taking suggestions! But I'm also very much so looking for critiques on the class.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-22, 06:13 PM
Vampire Heritage up! And sorry that it doesn't really capture D in its essence. :smallredface:

Magicyop
2011-06-22, 08:41 PM
Overall this looks like a very nice class. It's a cool idea, and it carries traces both of the Pathfinder Sorcerer, and the 3.5 Binder. But there are some things I think need to be worked out.

Flavor: The flavor is very nice. Sort of makes me think of a sorcerer who embraces more than just some level of magic in their blood, but instead the general style and power of their monstrous ancestors.

In General: Firstly, it really doesn't need that many bonus feats. I would cut down on the bonus feats and instead give it some more class features that all heritages get. Feats are never a substitute for class abilities, which is partly why the core fighter bores a lot of people. Secondly, you don't need to have the class features you already have all crammed at the beginning, spread them out over all twenty levels!

Innate Skill: Okay, I see what you're trying to get at here. But it's... a little bit strangely phrased. It could easily be misinterpreted to mean anything up to "This class gets full wizard casting for free." Stacking caster level is really more a prestige class feature than a base class feature, but if you have a good reason for it, I suppose it could work. In which case, some changes need to be made. Firstly, replace "count as" with "stack with" in the feature description. It's a small change but it makes it infinitely more clear. Further, I'm not really sure where you're going with the "highest spell/maneuver known" thing, from that it seems like if you had a high enough ability score to get bonus spells of a level, then you would automatically get at least one spell of that level. I would simply remove that and say just that it stacks for the purposes of caster/initiator level.

Uncanny Heritage: This seems fine to me, though I'll evaluate the individual heritages in a moment.

Resilient Flesh: This seems to me like it could better fit at around level 10 somewhere, but other than that, fine. Makes it seem a little like a monster class, but that's okay, since the flavor of the class indeed seems to be that the character is embracing a monster heritage. :smallsmile:

Stuff of Legends: Seems good to me. It might be a little hard to record, though. How I've seen this sort of thing done before is "Each stage of your life is multiplied by 5 in terms of duration" so that if you're middle age between ages 40 and 50, you would instead be middle age between ages 200 and 250. Otherwise you'd have to record both "actual age" and "physical age", though that's not too bad. It's up to you.

Slaad: Mostly looks balanced and fun. In chaotic metabolism, I suggest you change the "as a swift action, double your fast healing for the encounter." It's awfully powerful for it to last the entire encounter, since a swift action isn't really that hard to invoke, they go unused most of the time for most PCs. Give a time limit on the doubled fast healing, and also specify how long they stay fatigued/exhausted. (For the rest of the day might be too long.)
Warpwave is too varied in power level. It goes from save-or-lose, like baleful polymorph and flesh to stone, to only a slight inconvenience, like 1 negative level. Mostly I'd just increase quantity for the first seven.

Additionally, I think it would be better if you did the DC's more variable, as in "DC 10 + 1/2 Class Level + Con Modifier" since a lot of these abilities have a very innate feeling.

Sphinx: I shudder to think how it is physically possible to have sphinx ancestry, but I don't want to dwell on it. :smalltongue:

I'd rather Dangerous Riddle be done as, you know, an actual riddle? The way I do riddles when I DM campaigns is that the player hears the riddle and has to think of an answer, but players with high intelligence are given some hints to solve it (or in this case, you get hints depending on the difference between your INT check and your target's INT check.) Riddles are fun, specify that the sphinx player must think of a riddle! Or at least give it as an option, or an alternative to the opposed INT check. Same thing with all of the other riddle based abilities. Seems fun apart from that.

Troll: Seems pretty interesting and balanced. For In The Footsteps of Giants, I would just give them the Powerful Build ability, as per the half-giant. It's a cool and useful way to simulate hulking strength for a medium size character. Stubborn Existence needs re-wording, the way it is now it seems like they don't even take the blow and instead heal themselves. It seems like it would be better if they take the blow, then the effects of a regenerate spell immediately after, before they die, saving their life. Primal Wrath is super awesome, but needs to be usable less often per day.

Vampire: Cool! Umbral Thirst should not effect the Wyrd-blooded, otherwise he could easily just injure himself on purpose to gain the effect. And since when does someone hunger for themselves? Damned Flesh should start out as "Silver Or Magic" and then rise to "Silver And Magic" later. This heritage should gain "Tomb Tainted Soul" somewhere (You heal from negative energy and take damage from positive energy.) You allow them to have too many corpse familiars, I'd say that they can just use Animate Dead if they want an army. Instead, give them only one Corpse Familiar who can have no more HD than theirs - 2. Especially because of the "Doesn't die if they have a familiar" feature.

Overall, it's a very cool class. I assume you're still adding heritages, which is good, but some things need re-wording for it to be perfectly balanced. I would also remove many of the bonus feats and replace them with some generic class features that apply to all heritages.

Best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this class!

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-22, 10:04 PM
@Magicyop:

Well, I don't think you can really compare this class to 3.5 Fighter or even Pathfinder Fighter when it comes to being a boring class. The Uncanny Heritage the character picks is basically all of the class features the class gets. I added the feats in to give some more versatility since I didn't really want to overpower the class as a whole; because as you said just feats are "blah" and thus shouldn't push the class over the brink.

What if I added in that they also have access to any monstrous feats and that each heritage gives an additional, small list of feats to choose their bonus feats from?

I had put the Innate skill ability in because this class originally mimicked the kind of gameplay expected from Exalted and it just stuck as the class evolved. The point of stacking for spells/maneuvers known was so that you weren't completely punished for multiclassing out of this base class to pursue what ever roleplaying you envisioned with your character.

Can bonus spells per day give you slots that your class doesn't grant you at all (not just 0 spells per day from the class but -)? And assuming they do, then you need a 28-29 in an ability score to even get a bonus spell for a 9th level spell and even then it's only once per day. If you're at level ~20 with an ability score of almost 30 does one level nine spell (even Wish) really break the game? You're not the party Wizard so it's not like your whole build was devoted to spellcasting.

I can see how that could be confusing when you put it that way. I'll change that bit.

I don't really agree with giving it so late in the class. This base class was originally based on my little experience in building Monster classes for fun off-site and the Monster classes always gave natural armor at level 1. Monster classes weren't limited from wearing armor (aside from having possibly unnatural body shapes) and as a whole they were viewed as balanced for low level play.

Of course, if you're seeing something I'm not, do tell.

Hm....I guess I can reword the whole ability to be less confusing. I'll see what I can do.

I'll keep it as a swift action but change the duration for a number of rounds equal to their Con mod; is that better?

The time limit for Fatigued/Exhausted is listed under the conditions themselves:

A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a –2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

An exhausted character moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. After 1 hour of complete rest, an exhausted character becomes fatigued. A fatigued character becomes exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause fatigue.

The Warpwave is actually lifted straight from one of the Proteans, which Paizo created to replace Slaad since they weren't OGL. I felt that it'd make a fitting capstone.

So increasing the DC's wouldn't be too much?

I might just make an addendum at the end or beginning of the heritage that lists that as a possible option. That's something I'd rather leave open to more creative and interactive groups than to have to force it on everyone as a whole. I know it'd drive me up a wall trying to do that competently before I'd just rip-off riddles from the internet. xD

I guess I can just make it straight Powerful Build. I don't know why I didn't do that originally; might have felt it would have been too much at the time.

I'll see what I can do about re-wording it.

What about Primal Wrath being usable 1/2 Con mod per day?

That's the one that gets an enthusiastic reply out of you? :smallbiggrin:

Well, would it be so bad if he could purposely injure himself to activate it?

The problem I have with Silver or Magic is...what's the point in Silver? DR X/Magic is universally seen as practically useless to have just by itself and its not like the "Silver or" changes that one bit. I mean, the Slaad heritage's DR isn't penalized in that manner (I know, I know, it doesn't have an Or, but I mean in general).

I'd probably make Tomb Tainted Soul on that list idea I mentioned higher up in this post.

What if I change it to 1/4 it's total Hit Dice? That way at level 20 they'd have a max of 5 Corpse Familiars? True Resurrection and the like are completely reasonable options at that point so 5 possible free lives shouldn't be too much. I'll toy around with the HD-2 idea though. Maybe having several level 20 thralls might be too much, but it does give me an amusing idea for playing a solo level 20 game. :smalltongue:

Yup, still working on Heritages and actually have an idea for a Prestige class for this class sometime in the far future.

I'll be looking forward for your further input!

Eldest
2011-06-22, 10:46 PM
For the inate (can't spell) skill, I would make it just caster level, because I read it as "take wizard 1/children of strangeness 19, get full casting and don't miss out on the level 19 perk of the children side". You also might want to swap the level 19 perks of all of the bloodlines to level 20.
Otherwise it looks good, I can't judge power well because I play mostly 4e.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-23, 10:15 AM
Alright, finished applying some of the suggested changes to the class!

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-26, 10:03 PM
Two new heritages are up!

As requested by Magicyop I did a Mind Flayer heritage. And since I've seen it as a theme recently here on the Homebrew subforum, I also did a tentacle monster heritage. :smallwink:

Edit: I've changed Innate Skill to also apply to Manifesting since the new Illithid Heritage deals in Psionics.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-29, 04:02 PM
New heritage is up!

My brother (who doesn't have an account on these forums) loves Oozes to bits. It's his favorite creature type and Oozes are in the top favorites of his monsters. He always wants to try and play an Ooze in a campaign, but unfortunately there aren't many easily accessible options for him.

So even if he didn't actually request it, I've made a Gray Ooze heritage, just for him! :smallbiggrin:

Welknair
2011-06-29, 06:06 PM
Certainly an interesting class. I haven't had the time to read through all of the Uncanny Heritages, but I like what I've seen.

Quick thing: With Innate Skill, does this also increase spells or powers/day? If not, then the increase in max spell/power level is a bit odd.

This reminds me more than a little of a couple of my Bloodlines focused around a single pattern overlayed with a number of "Lineages" that add differentiation based upon the specifics of the character's power origin. Then again, I've seen that a number of other places...

Overall, nice work. Designing a Base Class is never easy. You'll notice that I've only made three, and only posted one.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-29, 06:18 PM
Certainly an interesting class. I haven't had the time to read through all of the Uncanny Heritages, but I like what I've seen.

Thank you kindly and let me know what you think when you've read through everything.

Quick thing: With Innate Skill, does this also increase spells or powers/day? If not, then the increase in max spell/power level is a bit odd.

I know it's odd, but I add it in there for completeness sake. It makes it so that if, somewhere down the line, this class is taken with a spellcasting/manifesting class that learns its spells/powers more like an Initiator learns maneuvers that they won't get the shaft for multi-classing.

It also comes into play if bonus spells for a high ability score can grant spell slots that a character normally doesn't have. 1 9th level spell doesn't really overpower the class imho, if it somehow could grant it.

This reminds me more than a little of a couple of my Bloodlines focused around a single pattern overlayed with a number of "Lineages" that add differentiation based upon the specifics of the character's power origin. Then again, I've seen that a number of other places...

It is a common theme, no? :smallbiggrin:

Overall, nice work. Designing a Base Class is never easy. You'll notice that I've only made three, and only posted one.

Thanks! ^_^