PDA

View Full Version : A Little Knowledge [Call of Cthulhu]

kirbsys
2011-04-16, 09:02 PM
What begins as a normal day at Miskatonic University is quickly found to be anything but as you hear whispers and rumors about something odd that happened the night before. Though there are very few details, but you quickly hear most of the story. Late last night, two students were attacked. A young co-ed by the name of Vittoria Nangelo was attacked by Frank Charlton, a student who has been missing for the last two and a half days. Shortly thereafter he was discovered on the library steps, haven fallen from the roof. The oddest part of the story is the rumor that the coroner declared the time of death to be thirty hours before the attack.

With gossip flying about the campus, you quickly hear interesting rumors about the late Frank Charlton. He was a student of philosophy, with a special interest in the medieval metaphysics course offered this semester, and many talk about his involvement with the Bohemian sect on campus.

Vittoria Nangelo, on the other hand, has an excellent reputation as an intelligent, personable young woman whose soprano roles in local opera productions have received excellent notices in Boston papers.

Late that same night, you sit in a friend's room discussing the rumors, and the idea comes up that you might look into the murder. What are your ideas?

Xsesiv
2011-04-16, 09:26 PM
"Now, this is going to sound really bizarre," says Vincent Amos, librarian, in a raspy, damaged voice that would once have had traces of a cultured acent. "Maybe somebody killed our friend Frank beforehand, disguised himself as him and then attacked her? Though why anyone would have a Frank Charlton disguise, I'll never know. And if they could kill Frank, why couldn't they kill Vittoria?"

He raises a hand to scratch an itch on his head, which is totally bald and covered in hideous scars. The hand he raises has several fingers burnt off and intermittently contracts involuntarily. He is a large man, but looks very diminished. In short, he's not a pretty sight, but his intellect should in theory be as incisive as ever. It's not helping him on this problem, though.

"Probably getting ahead of myself. We don't even know if the time of death's true. If we're going to look into this, we'll have to talk to the coroner."

Bridgar
2011-04-16, 09:42 PM
Idea roll (if applicable): [roll0]
Idea score of 65.

"I have a hunch, but it's a stretch. Does anyone wish to hear it?"

kirbsys
2011-04-17, 04:21 PM
Bridgar
The only conclusion that makes any sense to you right now is that Vittoria was somehow mistaken about her attacker, and that Frank's body was thrown from the roof of the library.

Overlord Rion
2011-04-18, 01:40 PM
"I don't see why not. At this point, it is all just speculation." He pauses for a moment, as if considering something, then just as quickly dismisses it. "But I do agree about the coroner."

Bridgar
2011-04-18, 05:18 PM
"Someone framed Frank for attacking Vittoria. The framer had already killed Frank and needed to get rid of the body. Vittoria, thinking Frank attacked him, went to confront Frank. Finding Frank's body, he threw it in a fit of rage off the roof of the library."

Mr White
2011-04-19, 05:36 AM
"Uhm, I know the recent events can shake people up but I'm quite sure Vittoria is a woman. I don't think she has the strength to throw a body a body off a roof," Dieu mocked, "and what are the chances she would look for Frank on the roof af the library."

Dieumerci was really enthousiastic about their private investigation. This would be perfect to kickstart his supernatural reputation.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-19, 10:44 AM
Carl sighed after listening to the entire conversation. "Does Vittoria have a boyfriend or somesuch? Maybe a jealous suitor that would attack Frank for attacking her?"

kirbsys
2011-04-19, 12:26 PM
None of you have any knowledge about Vittoria (who is indeed female) beyond what was said above. Her love life remains a mystery.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-20, 08:35 PM
Carl shakes his head. "Well, I guess it might be a good idea to go investigating. Anyone up for it?"

Bridgar
2011-04-20, 08:36 PM
"I'm up for it... nothing really better to do around here."

Mr White
2011-04-21, 05:16 AM
No time to lose then.

Overlord Rion
2011-04-21, 12:44 PM
"Right, well, less talking, more walking." Gabriel stood up and headed towards the door.

kirbsys
2011-04-22, 06:44 PM
While it is likely too late to see the city coroner, it is fairly common practice here for a medical student to sit in on autopsies and to assist. A quick trip to the medical building on campus leads you to the student who helped, a senior medical student by the name of Morton Waldren. His room is across campus, but it is not too late to go see him. He answers the door, and say, "How can I help you?

Bridgar
2011-04-22, 06:46 PM
"We're sorry to visit so late but we'd like to see Frank's body if you don't mind. We think there might be some foul play at work here." Robert says, trying to be kind.

Mr White
2011-04-25, 04:43 AM
"I'm sure we could make it worthwhile" Dieudonné added.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-25, 06:57 PM
Carl nods. "And, it'd be a service done for the citizens, you know?"

kirbsys
2011-04-26, 12:23 AM
He replies, "I can see with the city coroner about letting you see the body tomorrow, I suppose there's no harm in it. I could show you my autopsy notes right now if you're really interesting, it's a fascinating case. Quite mysterious."

Overlord Rion
2011-04-26, 01:17 AM
Gabriel worked his way to the front of his group. Autopsy notes you say? Nothing better than that to whet the appetite with is there?"

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-27, 07:11 PM
"I'd like to look them over, if I could." Carl smiles at the coroner.

kirbsys
2011-04-28, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, no, I have nothing better to offer you until the coroner consents to me showing you the body itself. Come in, let me tell you what we have found though, it's very interesting. His room is fairly tidy, exactly what you'd expect from a medical student. He gives you each a place to sit then starts going over the notes with you, giving you a copy afterwords. "The official cause of death was suffocation, which occurred at approximately two a.m. on the second of May, the fall was nearly eighteen hours later. This cause post-mortem lacerations and abrasions, as well as massive spinal damage. Had he been alive at the time, the fall would have most certainly killed him. Therefore, he could not have attacked Vittoria.

Mr White
2011-04-28, 03:00 PM
Suffocation you say? Was he strangled? Were there any signs on his body indicating a fight? Were there defensive wounds? Dieu unleashed a torrent of questions at the med student.

Overlord Rion
2011-04-28, 05:21 PM
"Slow down. Let him answer first. Ask any more questions and he'll have to start writing them down."

Xsesiv
2011-04-30, 03:31 PM
"Think about it, anyway. He said suffocation, not asphyxiation, so that precludes strangulation. Suffocation and strangulation aren't the same thing; well, not in the strictest sense of the word. And how would you get defensive wounds from something that could suffocate you, like a pillow or a bag?"

Amos closes his eyes and rubs his eyelids. "I'd like to know if he put up a fight, though. There might have been some signs, I'm not an expert, so don't let me cut you off, Mr Waldren, if you were going to say anything. Also, I hope there's a damn good reason why it wasn't made public that he was dead before being thrown off the roof."

kirbsys
2011-04-30, 04:23 PM
You are correct, it was suffocation, not strangulation as you said. There were no defensive wounds on him oddly enough, which implies that he either meant to suffocate or that he was unconscious or sleeping at the time of the attack. His time of death hasn't been made public yet, but none of this is secret, anyone could ask. There will be a police statement on Friday I believe, they will announce our findings as well as their investigative findings.

Mr White
2011-05-04, 05:15 AM
Are there any signs on the body that would indicate how the body got up on the roof?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-04, 06:34 PM
"There are no mutilation signs on the body are there? How about tattoos or whatnot?"

Bridgar
2011-05-04, 06:37 PM
"Any distinguishing marks? Are we sure this is the guy we're looking for?"

Overlord Rion
2011-05-04, 07:00 PM
Everyone was firing questions at the young man, but Gabriel was content to sit back and listen...and take notes.

kirbsys
2011-05-05, 05:48 PM
"As to your first question, no. It must have been carried, but there are no signs that it was, which isn't unusual. No mutilation or tattoos, just the wounds I described to you earlier. I'm not sure what you mean. We are one hundred percent sure that this is not that man that attacked Vittoria, as he was dead before the attack. As for whether or not this is Frank Charlton, his body was positively identified by his room mate. Or should I say, former room mate.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-05-06, 03:51 PM
Carl bit his lip. "I think we need to talk to Vittoria then."

kirbsys
2011-05-07, 04:37 PM
"That could likely be arranged in the morning, she is currently in the hospital I believe. If you'd like to come by the morgue at 11 a.m. tomorrow, I believe I could get the doctor to show you the body. He does love talking about his work."