PDA

View Full Version : Wu Jen and watchful spirit feats

Boci
2011-04-17, 08:51 AM
I was just looking at all the feats based on the watchful spirit feats and didn't see any clause limiting you on how many you can take. So if a Wu Jen took guardian spirit, defending spirit, hasty spirit and vengful spirit, they would gain the following:

Reroll initiative 5/day, reroll a save 1/day. Plus, whenever they reroll their initiative, they gain the following:

1. +2 dodge bonus to AC for the whole encounter
2. An extra move action at any point during the encounter
3. The first creature to hit you takes damage equal to half of what it did to you

That seems like a neat combo for 4 feats, especially if flaws are allowed on a human character.

So:

1. Just checking: Have I missed anything that makes this not work? I'm pretty sure I would.
2. Would you allow this as a DM? I personally would.
3. How powerful do you think this is? I'd say its a neat trick, and definitly one of the better choices, but only slightly above average for what you can do with 4 feats.

Jarian
2011-04-17, 08:55 AM
A Wu Jen is a full caster. With four feats, you can blow up the world (or at least a small section of it). That's a really tame use of four feats, to be honest. So yes, if somebody wanted to use it, I'd let them.

Eldan
2011-04-17, 08:57 AM
Given that any of those feats could be quicken spell? Sure. I mean, yes, with a human and flaws, that's pretty good in the first few levels, but later, you want feats that power up your magic.

Shade Kerrin
2011-04-17, 06:04 PM
Not only is it perfectly legal, but it was probably intended.

Note how Guardian spirit(from the same book as the base) merely states that you gain 2 uses, while the others(from CM) state that you get an 'extra' use.

I've actually done this before. Was playing an exorcist who was haunted by his old love.

Person_Man
2011-04-18, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it works.

But the real trick is that a Wu Jen 6/Full Caster PrC X has the easiest time increasing caster level (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) on their signature element. In particular, their 6th level class ability (+2) and the Rod of Elemental Might (+2, Complete Mage). Throw that together with a couple of other relatively cheap items and/or feats and/or racial abilities, and you generally end up with a caster level 4-8 higher then your ECL. Thus your damage, range, duration, ability to overcome Spell Resistance, etc, is that much more powerful. Works particularly well if you can partner with a Frostrager or Totemist or undead ally for a combo.

Now the down side is that you have a MUCH more limited spell list, and you often end up having to spend resources on workarounds for enemies who are resistant or immune to your signature element. But if you just want to play a fun blaster, it's a pretty efficient way of doing so.