PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior build tips?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 01:30 PM
I'm working on a psywar for a 32 point buy, level 6 game. I don't expect it to go far beyond 12th, so things like King of Smack are completely irrelevant. (Unless you know of a way to make it happen at 6th level)

I would like to go along the same general lines though, since I am rather fond of Claws of the Beast. just not sure what feats or powers synergize well with the Claws.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-17, 02:23 PM
Maybe go for some sort of Expansion + Combat Reflexes + Spiked Chain + Improved Trip build. You'll need Overchannel and you'll want Talented to be able to augment Expansion to last 10 minutes/level instead of 1 round/level (post-errata). Go with a race with Powerful Build such as Goliath (RoS) or Half-Giant if you can buy off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) the +1 LA. If you can use flaws or would otherwise have some spare feats, Up The Walls is particularly good in the lower levels.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 02:38 PM
Maybe go for some sort of Expansion + Combat Reflexes + Spiked Chain + Improved Trip build. You'll need Overchannel and you'll want Talented to be able to augment Expansion to last 10 minutes/level instead of 1 round/level (post-errata). Go with a race with Powerful Build such as Goliath (RoS) or Half-Giant if you can buy off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) the +1 LA. If you can use flaws or would otherwise have some spare feats, Up The Walls is particularly good in the lower levels.

I considered going Spiked Chain Tripper, but I'm concerned that my DM might find trip abuse cheesy. I personally don't like the aesthetics of it quite as much as I do the Claws method.

Greenish
2011-04-17, 02:44 PM
I considered going Spiked Chain Tripper, but I'm concerned that my DM might find trip abuse cheesy. I personally don't like the aesthetics of it quite as much as I do the Claws method.You can trip with claws. Less reach, less cheesy?

Though I'd like to point out that WotC have done and statted up an actual spiked chain tripper psywarr in Secrets of Sarlona, so it should be fair game. I mean, it's not like you can cheese by imitating sample characters, eh? :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 03:14 PM
You can trip with claws. Less reach, less cheesy?

Though I'd like to point out that WotC have done and statted up an actual spiked chain tripper psywarr in Secrets of Sarlona, so it should be fair game. I mean, it's not like you can cheese by imitating sample characters, eh? :smalltongue:

I meant the aethetics of tripping.

"Ha! HA! I made everyone fall down!"

It just doesn't seem like a very badass or tough-guy way to fight, and that's what I'd prefer to go with for this character.

Cog
2011-04-17, 03:17 PM
If you go with Knockdown, you're hitting people so hard they fall over. Perhaps that's more bearable?

Tvtyrant
2011-04-17, 03:18 PM
Make a Tashalatora monk?

Flickerdart
2011-04-17, 03:26 PM
Claws of the Vampire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/clawsoftheVampire.htm) go well with Claws of the Beast, since you can augment the claws to ridiculous size. You'll want Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge (or both, if you're in the business of using up your psionic focus). Deep Impact is a pretty awesome feat if you use Power Attack (but you probably won't). Getting a Psicrystal is a great use of a feat, because the Feat Leech power will let you borrow the psicrystal's feats for yourself.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 03:45 PM
Getting a Psicrystal is a great use of a feat, because the Feat Leech power will let you borrow the psicrystal's feats for yourself.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that little trick. Spend one feat, get three. I love it.

Knockdown seems possible; what book is it and how does it work?

Cog
2011-04-17, 03:53 PM
It's available for free (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown). I think that part of the OGL is Deities and Demigods.

lord_khaine
2011-04-17, 04:01 PM
Alternatively you could try a Psywar/warblade build, going 5/1, and then adding more warblade levels when you can get a new level of maneuvers

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 08:22 AM
Alternatively you could try a Psywar/warblade build, going 5/1, and then adding more warblade levels when you can get a new level of maneuvers

I thought Warblades were pretty heavily keyed off INT; wouldn't Crusader be better?

Greenish
2011-04-18, 08:27 AM
I thought Warblades were pretty heavily keyed off INT; wouldn't Crusader be better?Well, warblades certainly benefit from int in various ways, but it's not strictly required for anything they do. Crusaders have a slight connection to charisma, so that's neither here nor there.

Warblades get more varied maneuvers, including the lovely Diamond Mind discipline.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 09:14 AM
Oooh. Warblades get Iron Heart, right?

If I'm fighting with Claws of the Bear, that counts as unarmed, right?

So let me get this straight:

Use Disarming Strike
1. Punch the guy as normal.
2. If punch lands, disarm checks
2A. Disarm check is super effective because Expansion
3. Since I was unarmed, I now have his weapon
4. Enemy is probably harmless when unarmed

Hmmm. It says unarmed always counts as a light weapon, does this include claws? Do claws count as unarmed for the purpose of retrieving his weapon? I mean, I could see how you could argue that giant deadly claws are not 'light' armament, and the spell specifies that I can still grip and manipulate normally.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just trying to have cake and also consume cake.

Greenish
2011-04-18, 09:25 AM
Oooh. Warblades get Iron Heart, right?They alone do.

If I'm fighting with Claws of the Bear, that counts as unarmed, right?Nope, Claws of the Beast count as claws. A different ball game entirely.

Hmmm. It says unarmed always counts as a light weapon, does this include claws?Natural weapons are always considered light.

Do claws count as unarmed for the purpose of retrieving his weapon?Hard to say.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 10:15 AM
So, Linked Power+Metapower (both in Complete Psionic) looks like a nice combo.

Linked Power: When using a power, use another power. Increase the point cost of the first by the second.

(IE: I want to use Expansion and Body Adjustment. Expansion costs 1 point, Body Adjustment costs 3, so I spend 4 in one go)

Metapower: Pick a particular metapower feat. It now costs 2 less to augment powers in that way. (To a minimum of 0 extra points)

End result: First level powers are buy one get one free, and 3rd level powers are 60% off if I cast them as linked powers. Since Psywar is action and power starved, this seems great!

Cog
2011-04-18, 10:18 AM
Yes, it's good. It's better if you make sure the base power is a first-level swift action power, and that you would only want to augment one of the two powers. Personally, I like using this one with the Soulknife Soulbound Weapon ACF.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 10:25 AM
Yes, it's good. It's better if you make sure the base power is a first-level swift action power, and that you would only want to augment one of the two powers. Personally, I like using this one with the Soulknife Soulbound Weapon ACF.

Ohohohohohohoho, better and better!

So, I'll also want Psychic Meditation so that I"ll have lots of focuses to expend on casting double; that's three feats. All my free psychic warrior feats.

I also want to grab Improved Natural Weapon as my 6th level feat, because damage step-ups are delicious. +1d6? Why not!

That still leaves my 1st and 3rd level feats unassigned, though. What do

Greenish
2011-04-18, 10:28 AM
So, I'll also want Psychic Meditation so that I"ll have lots of focuses to expend on casting doubleLink stuff to Hustle. Use the move action from Hustle to regain focus.

That still leaves my 1st and 3rd level feats unassigned, though. What doOverchannel + Talented? Psicrystal?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 10:29 AM
Link stuff to Hustle. Use the move action from Hustle to regain focus.
Overchannel + Talented? Psicrystal?

I guess I'll grab Overchannel and the Crystal, and then give the Crystal Talented, since I don't have room for it otherwise.

What else can go in there as an easy-access feat? It's level 6, so it has two more, right? Hmmm.

I guess Inquisitor could be nice, since I've got the WIS for a powerful Sense Motive anyway.

Cog
2011-04-18, 10:33 AM
You have to spend a power to get access to the psicrystal's feats, so I wouldn't keep anything you're planning to use often there.

Master_Rahl22
2011-04-18, 10:38 AM
The primary draw for grabbing levels of Warblade or Swordsage for a psionic character is Diamond Mind. There are multiple strikes that base damage off of a Concentration check, which you likely have as a class skill and can spend your focus to Take 15 on and that's awesome. There's also the Instant Clarity feat in ToB that lets you spend a swift action to recover your focus after using a strike 3 times per day.

Draz74
2011-04-18, 11:04 AM
Yeah, if you get Linked Power and Hustle and Psionic Meditation, it can even be worthwhile to spend another Feat on Metapower (Linked Hustle), so you can manifest Hustle for only 1 PP if you have another useful buff linked to it.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-18, 11:18 AM
Enemy is probably harmless when unarmed

Famous last words.

TurtleKing
2011-04-18, 12:19 PM
If you have Complete Psionic check that book. You also get some good powers that can help with your feral Psywar. I will be checking later on what might help since currently busy.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 06:26 PM
Famous last words.

Well, you know, most people resort to a sword purely because they don't have bear hands. If they do have bear hands, then I also have bear hands, so we'll be on equal footing at worst. But yes, those words would be very ominous when written in the Captain's Log.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-18, 06:31 PM
Psionic Lion's Pounce is also another very good 2nd level power.

Expansion cannot be overstated. Free size increase = free reach increase.

Perhaps you may wish to consider Power Attack/Improved Bull Rush/Shock Trooper/Leap Attack combo? With Psionic Lion's Pounce, you stand to be very respectable in damage output.

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 06:43 PM
A feat on Hidden Talent or Expanded Knowledge (if Hidden Talent is unavailable to you) for Dimension Hop is a good purchase. Swift action 10' teleports are ALWAYS useful, and it Links well with other powers as well. Gets you out of grapples, through doors, around obstacles, and can even stand you up from prone (depending on your views of conservation of form during teleportation).

Its in Complete Psionic, and only appears on the Freedom Mantle list.

Draz74
2011-04-18, 08:04 PM
A feat on Hidden Talent or Expanded Knowledge (if Hidden Talent is unavailable to you) for Dimension Hop is a good purchase. Swift action 10' teleports are ALWAYS useful, and it Links well with other powers as well. Gets you out of grapples, through doors, around obstacles, and can even stand you up from prone (depending on your views of conservation of form during teleportation).

Its in Complete Psionic, and only appears on the Freedom Mantle list.

Another option to consider is to use the Alternate Class Feature from the WotC Website (Mind's Eye) to give up your Level 2 Feat in favor of gaining the Freedom Mantle. It's got a few great powers on its list, and +10 Speed doesn't hurt either.

Even if you do this, Hidden Talent is a great Level 1 feat (+2 PP makes a big difference for a low-level PsyWar). But pick something that's not on your list, like Mindlink or Precognition.

Hazzardevil
2011-04-18, 10:29 PM
the stuff these guys are talking about is very hard tounderstand. (NO! NOT THE GRAPPLE RULES!)
Try something simpler.
ask your dm if you can use the psychic warrior off the pfsrd. It gives a lot of class features and the wonder that is war mind.
war mind is the bomb for twfers and theres two paths for psychic warrior that give you huge bonuses when weilding a certain weapon and a weaon made from call weaponry. stack these and add ten levels of war mind for that golden fourth attack and still for caasting.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 09:06 AM
add ten levels

Don't have ten levels to add. See OP.

As a random, completely terrible idea:

What if I took a psicystal, and then had the psycrystal take the "Learn a manuever" feats. Could I have a pet rock... that punches?

Cog
2011-04-19, 09:25 AM
As per their stat line, psicrystals have no attacks. If you give them Simple Weapon Proficiency and Improved Unarmed Strike... then they can hit creatures that are in their own square, because they're Diminutive.

Turok117
2011-04-19, 09:35 AM
No idea how feasible it would be, but get a brilliant energy longsword and Jedi it up.

Essence_of_War
2011-04-19, 11:00 AM
I didn't see anyone link to it yet, but there is a pretty helpful psywar handbook on this here forum:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162701

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 09:46 PM
No idea how feasible it would be, but get a brilliant energy longsword and Jedi it up.

At 6th level?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-25, 04:33 PM
Out of curiosity, how does Expansion interact with Bite of the Wolf? At 5th level, Bite of the Wolf deals 2d8 damage. How does that rank up with size modifiers?

Keld Denar
2011-04-25, 04:41 PM
With 1 size boost, it bumps up to 3d8. With 2 boosts (from augmented Expansion), it bumps to 4d8. With that + Improved Natural Attack(Claws), it would go to 6d8. Check the table from Improved Natural Attack to see how natural weapons scale with real and effective size increases.