PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Essence Blast [PEACH]

Etrivar
2011-04-17, 01:58 PM
Hullo Playgrounders!

There have been many times when playing a warlock that I have wanted to use multiple essences in the same blast, but that of course isn't possible :smallannoyed: . So I'm crafting a way to do so, but I'm of several minds as to how to go about it. Either A) a feat that allows you to add any two essences to a blast 3+Cha modifier times per day -or- B) a feat that allows you to forgo a shape invocation in order to add another essence -or- C) an invocation that lets you add two essences from lower grades to the same blast.

A: Essence Weave
Prerequisites: ability to use lesser invocations, Cha 16
Benefits: You can apply the effects of two eldritch essence invocations to the same eldritch blast. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Cha Modifier.

B: blanking for a name for this one
Prerequisites: ability to use lesser invocations, Cha 16
Benefits: Whenever you forgo the use of a shape invocation, you may add another essence invocation to your eldritch blast.

C1: Lesser Eldritch Fusion (so named because it functions similarly to Arcane Fusion)
Greater, 6th, Eldritch Essence
When applied to an Eldritch Blast, this Essence allows you to choose any two essences (that you know) from the least or lesser categories, and apply them to this Eldritch Blast. Because this invocation only counts as a single essence, you may still apply a shape invocation to the Eldritch Blast.

C2: Greater Eldritch Fusion
Dark, 8th, Eldritch Essence
This invocation functions identically to Lesser Eldritch Fusion, except you may choose any two essence invocations of up to Greater.

So, what is the verdict of the playground? A, B, or C? Some combination thereof? Any ways to improve them? Please give me feedback! Thank you!

EDIT: increased Cha requirement from 13 to 16 on A and B.

Seraphiel
2011-04-17, 02:09 PM
Personally, I like A.

slaydemons
2011-04-17, 02:13 PM
It seems using multiple spells or abilities is becoming increasingly cool

Etrivar
2011-04-17, 10:05 PM
It seems using multiple spells or abilities is becoming increasingly cool

Well, yeah.

Sometimes it's not enough to just repel the beatstick away from you, sometimes you want to repel the beatstick and light him on fire for having the audacity to get close to you in the first place.

GFawkes
2011-04-18, 11:32 AM
As a frequent warlock, I have opinions on all of these:

A/B: I'd say good idea, but it needs a higher CHA requirement. If you've got a charisma of thirteen, maybe you need to reconsider being a warlock.

C: Great idea, currently petitioning my DM to use them.

Etrivar
2011-04-18, 04:17 PM
Good pont on the Cha, changed.

Veyr
2011-04-18, 04:24 PM
A/B: I'd say good idea, but it needs a higher CHA requirement. If you've got a charisma of thirteen, maybe you need to reconsider being a warlock.
I disagree: Warlock save DCs use Cha, but there are plenty of save-less Invocations worth using. A Warlock can very safely dump Cha much of the time.

One focusing on Essences may have a harder time of that, though, since many of the best Essences do have saves, I suppose.

The Cat Goddess
2011-04-18, 04:36 PM
For another alternative... how about a magic item that adds an essence to whatever you're doing, a certain number of times per day?

Ring of Eldritch Fire: Add the effect of Brimstone Blast to your Eldritch Blast for 1 minute. Useable 5/day.

Beshadowed Bracer: Add the effect of Beshadowed Blast to your Eldritch Blast for 1 minute. Useable 5/day.

Necklace of Vitrol... etc.

The neat part could be in the effect on other uses, like Fell Flight. If you use Fell Flight while wearing a Ring of Eldritch Fire, instead of a cape of shadows you gain wings of fire.

Perhaps add a small save bonus or energy resistance as well, for flavor.

Etrivar
2011-04-20, 01:14 PM
For another alternative... how about a magic item that adds an essence to whatever you're doing, a certain number of times per day?

Ring of Eldritch Fire: Add the effect of Brimstone Blast to your Eldritch Blast for 1 minute. Useable 5/day.

Beshadowed Bracer: Add the effect of Beshadowed Blast to your Eldritch Blast for 1 minute. Useable 5/day.

Necklace of Vitrol... etc.

The neat part could be in the effect on other uses, like Fell Flight. If you use Fell Flight while wearing a Ring of Eldritch Fire, instead of a cape of shadows you gain wings of fire.

Perhaps add a small save bonus or energy resistance as well, for flavor.

I like that idea, that has some potential. I shall return to the Warlock-Cave and produce :smallbiggrin: