PDA

View Full Version : It's Over Nine Thousaannndd! (IC)

The-Mage-King
2011-04-17, 02:28 PM
Five minutes ago, an ethereal entity formed of light had granted you each "Great Power", and had vanished.

Before that, you had each fallen several hundred feet into a deep lake that somehow cushioned your fall.

And now you're in an underground chamber, similar to an auditorium, with a faintly glowing crystal forming where the being had been.

JKTrickster
2011-04-18, 06:16 PM
Felix stretched, getting used to his new body for the thousandth time that day. Out of all of his friends, Felix probably had the most significant transformation. In a single moment, he had every boy's (and man's) ultimate dream - becoming a (magnificently handsome) adult. The little mousy kid with bad hair and a weird smell was now towering tall above his friends with a charming smile.

Felix knelled over the pool that had managed to save his life from the fall. For what thousandth time he smiled, enjoying the new face he had. It was still him, but it was...older, more mature. And clear of acne. Oh the blessing, it was clear of acne! Rubbing his small beard, he smiled even wider. This had turned out to be a better day than he had thought!

Smiling, Felix knew that his outside appearance were small gifts compared to what the Avatar of Light had given him. He had received his blessing - Felix could still feel it deep within him. Closing his eyes, he held a up to his chest, feeling the deep warmth that was there, pulsating with power and synchronized with the beat of his heart.

Felix always had faith. Even when he was bullied he always had faith. Smiling, he could feel the warmth respond to his thoughts. It was like the Avatar of Light itself was with him. This was it's blessing, and Felix loved it.

Taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes and looked around the room. He noticed his other friends, they were still recovering from their changes as well. He was glad all of them had received gifts that day; together he was sure they'll be able to do anything.

The crystal caught his eye. "Hey guys!" he said excitedly. "What's with the crystal? Let's go touch it and see what it is!"

Yep, still the same Felix.

Zaydos
2011-04-18, 11:11 PM
Perhaps it would be advisable to determine what kind of magic it holds, first Signy says, brushing her hair from her face, I doubt it's dangerous given the situation, but it is better to gather information first then to risk danger.

Chess435
2011-04-19, 12:03 AM
Though not really changing in outward appearance, Cyrus mind EXPLODED (not literally) with knowledge, as if he had been blind his whole life and just opened his eyes for the first time. When struck by the Avatar, Cyrus' brain started flooded with information on every conceivable topic, from arcane formulae, to the structure of the planes, even to the migration patterns of swallows! Once this knowledge filled in, it started congealing, forming something resmebling a cord within his mind. The cord was thin, but it seemed to connect him to something vast and wonderful, like a coffee straw in a milkshake. With a great deal of mental straining, Cyrus pulled forth on the cord and was rewarded with a tiny piece of arcane power, a Detect Magic cantrip. Refining his approach, he pulled forth another, and another, getting easier each time. After gathering all the cantrips he could find and storing them in his mind, Cyrus "felt" around for what he knew to be 1st-level spells. These were significantly harder, and Cyrus could only squeeze so many in his brain before being forced to quit. After gathering from this resivoir of arcane might, he experienced his third and final change. The world seemed to slow around him, and a sword materialized out of nowhere in his hand. Twirling it around, he realized that he seemed to be moving at normal speed, everything else had slowed significantly. With some extrapolation, Cyrus realized that to everyone else's point of view, he must have lightning-fast relexes!

After watching the others go through their transofrmations, Cyrus turned to his old friends and said: "I agree, we should learn as much as possible so we can weigh all of our options."

purplearcanist
2011-04-19, 09:41 AM
Ashe thought she was merely going to the house to help some commoners and play with the kids. But apparently, that seemed to be when the most suprising things happened.

She gasped as the hole opened up under the house, unprepared for the event. She shouldn't of relaxed when going into an innocent house, she scolded herself. It was lack of awareness, after all, that may have led to the downfall of her mentor.

Suddenly, she felt herself infused with arcane power. Although talented at magic, able to cast cantrips as a kid, she felt capable of mustering the harder spells as arcane knowledge poured into her mind. Additionally, she felt more in tune with her elven heritage as the magic enhanced her senses.

Noticing that her playmates wanted to become more aware of the area, she thought that was a good tactic, and scanned the area with her enhanced senses.

Listen, spot, and search checks (in order). If there is time, I am taking 20.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

JKTrickster
2011-04-19, 04:52 PM
"Well if you guys suppose," Felix said as he stopped short of the crystal. For a moment he examined it, looking at it from different angles and trying his best to discern its function or use. Although he was genuinely might brighter now, he couldn't figure out anything about it, or even if it was the Avatar in a new form.

"I don't think we should fear it though," he said after a couple of minutes, rubbing the back of his head as he turned around to the others. "I mean it was left behind by the Avatar right? There's no need to fear anything from the good guys. Besides, maybe it can help us on our new quest!"

Chess435
2011-04-19, 07:09 PM
"Perhaps it's time for a more direct approach, as we won't get very far just sitting here contemplating about it." Cyrus said as he approached the crystal. Nervously poking out a finger, he reached out to touch it.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-19, 07:16 PM
Ashe

Other than the lake, there's nothing much. A large chest resting on a stone table, an opening in the cavern wall that looks to lead up, and the crystal are the only things in the room with you.

Everyone

As Cyrus reaches to touch the crystal, a voice resonates through your heads.

"Hold, young one. Doth thou wish to be incinerated by the full might of the Light?" It echoes, seemingly targeted towards Cyrus. "If not, restrain yourself from touching that."

Zaydos
2011-04-19, 08:02 PM
Told you we ought to figure out what it was first, Signy says a look of smug satisfaction on her face upon verification that her suspicions were correct.

Chess435
2011-04-19, 09:01 PM
Quickly pulling his hand back, Cyrus replied nervously. "... Perhaps discretion is the wisest course of action in this case. Heh heh....." :smalleek:

JKTrickster
2011-04-19, 09:05 PM
Felix jumped back at the sound of the voice, looking around to discern its location. "What was that guys?" he said, his voice steady despite how scared he felt. His eyes wildly scanned the breadth of the chamber, but he could not find the source of the sound. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end.

"Show yourself! Why should we believe you? You aren't the Avatar!"

Chess435
2011-04-19, 09:32 PM
"I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I find more than enough evidence to believe that the voice, was in fact, the Avatar of Light. If you wish to dispute this claim, then why don't you touch that crystal over there? Just don't say I didn't warn you.....

Zaydos
2011-04-19, 10:22 PM
I must repeat my inquiry, can any among us detect magic or perhaps auras of evil? If it is a creature playing at being the avatar it would most likely be a being of absolute evil, Signy says calmly.

purplearcanist
2011-04-20, 01:22 AM
"Interesting, why is a large chest in the room. Anyways, as magic is already being used in this room, I think it would be best to scan the area. And scanning the area for traces of evil is a good idea, I just don't have that ability. Awareness is a useful thing, I've found."

Cast detect magic on myself, using a sorcerer cantrip. I examine the crystal, then the chest for any magical auras. And sorry for posting late. ;)

JKTrickster
2011-04-20, 05:51 PM
Felix raised an eyebrow. "That obviously doesn't sound like the Avatar of Light," he said slowly, as if it was the most obvious thing. "And the Avatar of Light definitely wouldn't talk to us in that tone! I think there's someone else here, trapped with us. Let's search him out!"

Felix stopped himself before he took another step. Then again, he didn't sound, or even looked, the same after his transformation. And he doubt that there really could be a malevolent presence so close to the Avatar of Light. Still, he best be cautious, just in case.

Chess435
2011-04-20, 11:59 PM
"I can scan for magic, but that's about it for now." Cyrus will cast detect magic, turning 90 degrees every 3 rounds so as to get a good reading on everything in the room.

Spells Prepared:

Detect MagicDetect Magic
Read Magic

Magic Missile
Protection From Evil
Grease

Spellcraft checks to determine school auras:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Should anything have a strong or stronger aura, I'll use an inspiration point to gain an additional +5 to my check.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-21, 08:55 PM
The magic detection attemps fail, presuably due to the sheer amount of background activity located around the fallen creator.

"Children, halt your activity. You know not what you meddle with." The voice echoes, taking an annoyed tone.

purplearcanist
2011-04-21, 10:33 PM
Realizing that this is a being of immense power Ashe hesitates. Then, she speaks, realizing that this presence could have killed them all in an instant, it had different intentions.

"I would like it if you could introduce yourself. Are you responsible for this unexpected event? Please, don't harm us, we were merely curious about who you were."

Chess435
2011-04-22, 09:33 AM
"Also, I imagine you didn't just give us these gifts on a whim. So tell us, what do you intend for us to do with these powers?"

JKTrickster
2011-04-23, 10:50 PM
Felix jumped up at the sound of the voice. He turned around wildly, still frustrated at not being able to pinpoint its source. "Where are you? What do you want?"

The-Mage-King
2011-04-23, 11:05 PM
"I am the remnant of the avatar of Light." The voice echoes, being mysterious as it started. "My reasons for granting you this power are simple: you are the first with the potential to become my champions to arrive here in a great many years."

After giving you a moment for that to sink in, it continues.

"As my champions, you will do battle with the forces of Darkness, and make this world one where the Light will always shine."

purplearcanist
2011-04-24, 11:49 AM
"What are the forces of darkness of which you speak? If there is one thing I know, knowledge can be an important determinant in a fight."

Zaydos
2011-04-24, 11:51 AM
Signy nods agreement, but keeps quiet, still listening.

Chess435
2011-04-25, 01:17 PM
"I concur. The more we know, the better. So if you don't mind, an explanation would be nice."

The-Mage-King
2011-04-25, 08:54 PM
"Unfortunately, I know not what you will face. The Avatar of Darkness did not see fit to tell it's mortal enemy who it chose as it's champions, for some reason." The voice echoes, sarcasm dripping from it.

"Though I know that it would only choose the most vile and reprehensible beings possible for that, because of it's very nature."

"Now, if you would like to start out on you quest, there is a door over there." It continues, a pulse of light flashing from the hole in the wall of the chamber.

Chess435
2011-04-26, 01:58 PM
Cyrus will proceed down the chamber, a tad apprehensively.

OOC: Maybe if we could bottle some of that liquid sarcasm and take it with us........ :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2011-04-26, 02:01 PM
Signy bows her head, and taking her bow begins moving towards the indicated door.

JKTrickster
2011-04-26, 05:32 PM
Felix was seemingly unaffected by the Avatar's tone, diligently hanging onto it's every word. Unlike the others, he was very much the kid he was several minutes ago and he had absolute faith in the Avatar.

It surprised him that the Avatar had diminished so, but it made sense. After all, they all had a part of the Avatar within them right now. That was their gifts after all. Felix felt a surge of confidence - he was going to pay the Avatar back for these gifts by helping it conquer the Avatar of Darkness.

"Let's go guys!" he says enthusiastically as he practically runs for the corridor. "Can't wait to get this adventure started!"

purplearcanist
2011-04-27, 04:00 PM
Ashe moves to the door, on the alert for any danger.

Ashe makes listen, search and spot checks, to determine if there is anything dangerous or of note. After this if I don't hear anything, I do a quick cast of detect magic and detect anything with magical auras 60 ft. from the door.
Listen:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]

The-Mage-King
2011-05-01, 01:46 AM
@All who made checks:

Nothing dangerous around the door. The background magic is still too much to detect anything.

@Everyone:

Assuming you all walk through the hole in the cavern, your find a gently sloping path heading up, probably curving around the chamber to make a spiral that leads somewhere like the hill several hundred yards away from the house.

It also seems to go further, though the way down is not lit, making you feel fairly sure that the Avatar of Light doesn't want you to go that way.

JKTrickster
2011-05-01, 10:47 AM
Felix was the first one to burst through the hole, almost knocking his head on the overhanging ceiling above him. He looked around excitedly, almost half expecting to battle the Avatar of Darkness right then and there. He practically ignored the path going downwards; after all the Avatar of Light had not drawn attention to it, so why should he bother? Squinting his eyes, he tried to make out what was further down the path up ahead.

"Hey guys," he yelled out behind him as he raced forward. "I think I see where we have to go! Race ya guys to the spot!" Felix couldn't help but laugh as his feet pounded along the path. For a moment he forgot the quest, he forgot the Avatar, the Champions, everything. He was a kid again and he was determined to win this footrace.

Zaydos
2011-05-01, 01:48 PM
Signy smiled and began running, there was no way she was going to lose a race. Even as she ran she leapt forward, landing while still running.

Either Hustle to move 100-ft, or Run to move 250-ft if possible.
Use Sudden Leap either at the end of or during the movement to jump another [roll0] feet.

purplearcanist
2011-05-02, 09:20 PM
Ashe also races forward, on the alert. Even though she knew she was fast, she struggled to keep up with the others. She appears to make an effort to win, pretending to have fun, but is also scouting for any danger that could put an end to them. She feared the darkness may be linked to the one that killed her mentor, a protector on her ordeal.

Chess435
2011-05-03, 09:25 AM
Cyrus will break out into a sprint as well, trying to keep up with everyone else.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-07, 09:16 PM
The path is long, and it takes a few hours to reach the top and see the cave's exit. As you burst into the light of the surface, you notice several things.

One, that you appear to be on a mountain that is clearly visible from your hometown.

Two, that you can see your house from up there.

And three, that the entire town appears to be on fire, thick, black smoke rising from the buildings.

Remembering how long it took to get to a simlar point, you should be able to get there in about another hour.

Chess435
2011-05-08, 03:46 PM
Looking down at the burning city, tears began to run down Cryus' face.

"No! Mom! Dad!"

In a panic, Cyrus starts running towards the city as fast as he can manage.

purplearcanist
2011-05-09, 08:52 PM
Ashe is startled to see fire, and rushes to it.

After seconds of indecision, examining the fire, she rushes to help people devastated by the fire. Especially Cyrus' parents, whom she had known for a few weeks.

"Don't worry Cyrus, we will find your parents."

Justice would have to wait, but Ashe figured it wouldn't be long. The newly gifted power would have to be used wisely.

I rush as fast as possible to Cyrus's house (which I have a feeling is nearby). If I can't see his house, I will try to spot it. Roll appropriately in the later case. I will try to help people along the way, but I am mainly concerned for Cyrus.

JKTrickster
2011-05-09, 10:03 PM
Felix was gasping as he struggled in last place. Even though he had an obvious head start on the others, he had tripped only a couple of feet away from the opening. Within moments the others had already surpassed him.

Finally running into the sunlight, Felix gasped for air. "Wow guys that was a hard one. I'm sure I'll win next time! Hey what are you gu-"

Felix stopped as he saw the fire, the smoke in the air. He knew it was impossible but he could hear the screams floating in the air. There was his mother, his father, his sister....his sister. She was only four years old. Bright cheeky smile, cute round face.

His sister.

Felix didn't know how hard he was running, or when he even started. He didn't know when his feet started pounding along the ground, his chest coming up and down in even intervals, the sweat glistening in the sunlight. He didn't know when he broke through the foliage, racing towards his home.

Zaydos
2011-05-09, 11:26 PM
Signy runs with the others, bow ready. She stays a little behind them, her eyes scanning for possible threats

Spot check: [roll0]

The-Mage-King
2011-05-12, 04:45 PM
As you make your way closer to the villiage, you see the smoke start to get thinner as the wind disperses it.

Maybe there are some survivors somewhere in there...

Chess435
2011-05-14, 12:22 PM
Worried that it might already be too late, Cyrus runs to his house as fast as he can, hoping his parents are okay.

Chess435
2011-05-17, 01:44 PM
Hello? Anyone Home?

The-Mage-King
2011-05-17, 11:09 PM
As you walk into the remains of the village, the fires have died down, leaving the ground covered with ash and bones. A few swords are embedded into flame tempered boards, as though people had been fighting and something knocked their weapons away from them.

The local watertower, built to keep a safe supply of water nearby after the incident a few years back, lies destroyed, the liquid having turned black from the ashes that fell in after it spread through the town.

Search checks are required. So are Spot and Listen.

Zaydos
2011-05-17, 11:12 PM
Signy shudders in disgust at the brutality of the scene even as she walks through.

Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Chess435
2011-05-18, 01:26 PM
Utterly appalled by the horrendous slaughter, Cyrus will continue heading towards his former home. Only one question went through his mind: Was his family okay?

Rolls:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2] (Using inspiration point for the extra +1)

Chess435
2011-05-18, 01:37 PM
Because I just read the OOC post, Knowledge checks:

Arcana: [roll0]
Architecture and Engineering: [roll1]
Dungeoneering: [roll2]
Geography: [roll3]
History: [roll4]
Local: [roll5]
Nature: [roll6]
Nobility: [roll7]
Religion: [roll8]