PDA

View Full Version : blandest base class ever

person29
2011-04-17, 02:38 PM
So i was just thinking of a really boring base class (in terms of different abilities etc) and thought of the fighter...so here is my semi-joking attempt at a homebrew base class...feel free to comment, evaluate etc as you please

I couldnt figure out how to do a table that stayed in format but it is

Full BAB, Good saves for all, Bonus feats like a Fighter, however they can choose any feat they qualify for...not just fighter bonus feats

Skills like a rogue

As you can probably tell I spent all of 2 minutes thinking of this and typing it...basically was just looking for a different/fun idea for an npc class or something like that...so let me know what you think and how balanced/horrible it is

Veyr
2011-04-17, 03:26 PM
Skills like a Rogue, IMO, makes this more interesting than the Fighter. Mostly cuz of UMD, but yeah.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-04-17, 03:29 PM
The full BAB, rogue skills, all good saves, and bonus feats like a fighter but with any feat you qualify for makes it an invaluable dip. After all, monk and fighter are common dips for their good saves and feats respectively, and this hypothetical class would better than either of them in those aspects.

The feats might be a problem in general, but considering you're not getting spellcasting, sneak attack, or anything at all to get you to some of the tastier feats, I can't see it being too bad beyond the dip-abuse potential.

Edit: P.S.

Blandness
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Bonus feat

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Bonus feat

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|

4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Bonus feat

5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Bonus feat

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Bonus feat

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Bonus feat

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|Bonus feat

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|Bonus feat

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Bonus feat

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Bonus feat

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Bonus feat

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
The blandness’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (8 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Int modifier

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-17, 05:14 PM
Wait isn't this just a worse version of the rogue variant where you switch out sneak attack for fighter bonus feats?

stainboy
2011-04-17, 10:31 PM
No, this gets full BAB and three good saves.

Still needs fluff on what Greyhawk gods to worship, what alignment to be, and what other classes to get along with. Where's the Blandnesses in the World section? What Knowledge do I roll to know about blandnesses? Are there any blandness-only organizations I could read and then declare they don't exist in my campaign world?

Sacrieur
2011-04-18, 12:12 AM
And the most skill points ever.

It's hardly bland with that many skill points and class skills. And fighters do have to qualify for the feats they pick as bonus feats.

DukeofDellot
2011-04-18, 01:51 AM
I've actually offer this option to my players... been calling the class "General Training" as in a character can take a level or two in General Training.

I didn't put bonus feats on the class though... instead it had a growing skill list (you add one skill of choice to be a permanent class skill for the character every time you gain a level in General Training).

No one ever took up the offer.

Eldan
2011-04-18, 03:40 AM
Blandness in the World: The Bland does not get along with many classes, as most tend to view it as boring and not particularly useful. Sorcerers, bards and other characters with high charisma may wish to keep several blands close at hand to look better by comparison, and experts and commoners have been known to associate willingly with blands, who often fill up invaluable roles in village communities, such as "Man in the corner over there", "Guy walking down the street" and "Bob".

Blandness and Religion: Many Blands are polytheists, as, unwilling to offend any one god, they offer mediocre devotion to all of them. Some few are worshippers of the aloof and true neutral gods, such as Boccob the Uncaring or Obad-Hai.

UserClone
2011-04-18, 08:12 AM
Am I the only one who looked at this and thought, "man, this is a d20 hit die and spellcasting levels away from being a Lightning Warrior."

Oh well, at least this version sacrifices power for flavor. Good thing with no spellcaster levels, it doesn't qualify for Obtain Familiar, because then it'd be INSANELY OVERPOWERED.

...:smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2011-04-18, 08:26 AM
How is something that is demonstably better than the Fighter, with no thought to fluff, the makings of a good class? It's just a Fighter with better numbers. That is not good class design; that would be like me saying "Okay, so my new class is a Sorcerer, but all good saves, knows all spells on the Sor/Wiz list, & gets bonus feats like a Wizard. Discuss." That's just broken wishful thinking, not design my any stretch. Come back when you've actually put some thought into what you want to say.

As with any homebrew, it's only worth putting as much time into talking about something as the OP put into creating it (Zeta's Law™). That said, warrants only a cursory, dismissive "Unbalanced" & no more.

Yora
2011-04-18, 09:21 AM
Lightning Warrior at least has a drawback. :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2011-04-18, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a generic warrior from Unearthed Arcana: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#warrior plus more skill points (and starting with Heavy Armor Proficiency).

Eloel
2011-04-18, 10:00 AM
How is something that is demonstably better than the Fighter the makings of a good class?

Anything less than or equal to Fighter is pointless.

Thugorp
2011-04-19, 01:02 PM
You know I actually made a class like this once. I called it the Uber-Commoner. It had full BaB, and all good saves. It had no class features though(no not even feats) and it only got one simple weapon that it was proficient with(just like the commoner) and it had the same skills and skill points as the commoner.

This calss... This class might almost be balanced for ACTUAL play... Hu... ya if you were to add some fluff I could totally see someone picking this as their class. I wonder why no one ever just wrote a fighter fix that was just exactly this?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-04-19, 02:27 PM
I wonder why no one ever just wrote a fighter fix that was just exactly this?

They have, but you haven't heard about them (probably) because they're not very good. It doesn't fix the problems inherent with the fighter, or melee in general, just makes them slightly better at what they already do. It takes fighter from an occasionally good dip if you need extra BAB or fight feats to a slightly more often good dip if you need extra BAB, saves, or more feats in general.