PDA

View Full Version : The End of Raa

Crixx
2011-04-17, 02:56 PM
Part 2: The Repercussions of Success

Recap
On a quest for your Shaman (the leader of your desert city) you entered into a vast ruins. Here you received a quest that would transform your barren wasteland of a home into a land of lush foliage and hearty game. You battled your way ruthlessly through hordes of goblins and demon-cults, through zombies and kenku, through mortal men and children.

The ruins were falling apart around you, but still you found the ten shards and opened the door into the world full of trees and water. But you let something else out. An Eladrin woman, ranting about taking control of the world, was released when you opened that door. Further, a middle-aged Tiefling man saw you do this.

He began to teleport away in jumps and you followed his trail. You are still following his trail, and have been for several days. There are giant trees everywhere, and the monotony of their presence has gotten you used to the change (if anyone can get used to such large plants).

SpaceHamster15
2011-04-20, 01:07 AM
Professor Maxhttp://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=291660

Hypophrygian
2011-04-26, 10:13 PM
Crow Rokhammar

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=268129

Iudex
2011-04-27, 03:31 PM
Sciens the Bard

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292975

Hypophrygian
2011-04-27, 05:02 PM
Crow

Crow idly bounces the head of his maul off a nearby tree as the group passes down the path.

ComandanteMike
2011-04-30, 04:39 PM
Raul Bananera

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=294584

Hypophrygian
2011-04-30, 11:08 PM
Crow grasps his hammer by the head and drags the handle along the ground, leaving a shallow rut along his path.

ComandanteMike
2011-05-01, 03:29 PM
Raul sees a line of ants marching along the ground and bends over to spit in the middle of their line before cursing natures petty attempt at order.

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-01, 09:18 PM
Professor Max hurries along to keep pace with his taller companions, scooping up armfuls of robes, tomes, and pouches to avoid stumbling. His glasses will likely fall off.

Iudex
2011-05-02, 10:23 AM
Sciens idly pokes at the tall leafy things around him as he walks, trying to decide if they are real or not.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-03, 06:46 PM
Crow

Crow pauses, then straps his maul to his back and begins to climb the nearest tree he can see with low-hanging branches.

Athletics check: [1d20=14] + 15 = 39 to climb a tree.

Crixx
2011-05-03, 08:07 PM
The party goes about their numb task of following the only path for miles around. They have been walking for days and the boredom eats at their bellies. Crow, feeling brave or foolhardy, climbs to the very top of one of the massive green plants, deftly using branches as footholds and hand-holds. When he reaches the top all he sees is more forest in the distance. As he is about to descend he notices a plume of black smoke from the east. It seems as if their path will lead them straight to this place where a great fire smolders. But for good or ill?

Might want to avoid words like "tree" as you have never ever seen these things, or heard of them, or maybe even believed in them. Go ahead and start playing if you guys want. Chris will pop in when he gets here.

Keep in mind that he changed his character to a Bullywug Barbarian. We'll pretend he's been with you for a while and that Speeral Tiots died in a "tree"-related accident.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-03, 08:14 PM
Crow

Crow climbs down from his perch. "Looks like there's something up ahead. Fire, could be."

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-04, 08:52 AM
Professor Max peers up at his brutish friend with giant eyes, distorted by thick lenses. "One need not fear fire if one knows how to coax it into cooperation," he states, blinking. "Lead on, Longshanks!"

Professor Max looks forward to studying the effects fire has on this new vegetated environment.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-04, 10:21 AM
Crow

Crow looks around, trying to see if there is anyone around who might be called "Longshanks." Seeing no one, he simply shrugs and begins to amble down the path once more.

Crixx
2011-05-04, 10:38 AM
By the time the party reaches the fire it is dusk, and the flames have died away. In what might have been a natural opening of the strange tall plants, is the burning remnants of a hamlet. Black, smoking piles of ash are scattered around the ground. One building, seemingly made from the strange hard plants, remains. It is gutted and what is left is charred black.

Bodies lay strewn about everywhere. Women, children, men with axes and clubs. All are human, and all are dead. The smell of ash mixed with the smell of burned flesh. The devastation had to be recent; There are no animals yet here to scavenge the bodies of the dead. Not even flies.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-04, 10:48 AM
Crow

Crow draws his maul from his back and casts his gaze warily around, looking for any signs that whatever caused this devastation is still about.

Perception check: [1d20=9]+6=15

ComandanteMike
2011-05-04, 12:53 PM
Raul draws his mace at the same time Crow draws his weapon, looks around for the cause of the massacre, and says beneath his breath "Whatever has done this will perish by my hand so that the justice of Erathis will be paid."

[1d20=5]+18=23. bah should've just left it passive.

Crixx
2011-05-04, 11:11 PM
The bodies have been thoroughly looted, and the sting of ash gets in your eyes as you search. There is a body dressed in fine clothing (excepting the large burned portions) that you did find something interesting on. It was a burned and tattered letter. It reads:

. . . of . . . importan ..
. .you deliver this army to me
secret. Upon receipt of these
I will pay double what
given you, which wa . .
if I must say.
. . ards, Octavi . .

The rest of what you find is useless, and you have no clue as to who or what started this blaze.

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-05, 01:57 AM
Professor Max snatches the letter examines it at arm's length, turning and flipping it as he speaks. "How does one deliver an army in secret?" He holds the paper up to the sun. "I suppose that's a secret as well..."

He then carefully archives the letter among the tomes and parchments he carries.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-06, 11:39 AM
Crow looks around to see if there are any tracks leading into or out of the village. Also if there are any paths other than the one they came in on.

Perception: 8+6=14 :smallfrown:

Crixx
2011-05-06, 11:50 AM
Crow finds no other paths departing from the burned village, and the path they were on is well-trodden. There is no way of knowing whether those who set fire to this place used that path as an escape.

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-07, 11:02 AM
Professor Max stoops to examine a handful of ashes. "Well, since we didn't see anyone on the way into this settlement, the ones who did this must have either left by a hidden means, or else they are still here..."

He moves to inspect the sole still-standing building.

1) Knowledge Arcana to determine if fire was magical or mundane: 13 + 17 = 30
2) Move into the gutted building.
3) Knowledge Dungeoneering to inspect likely places for a trap door or some other escape: 13 + 16 = 29

Iudex
2011-05-07, 03:20 PM
Sciens idly walks around and inspects the scene.

Perception check on who/what has done this and/or where they came from:
If I find nothing of interest then I go with Professor Max to inspect the building.

Crixx
2011-05-08, 12:44 PM
@Sciens
You do not know who caused this or where they came from by examining the devastation, effectively you are with Professor Max

@Professor Max
The fire was clearly mundane in origin, you see a few burned out torches in the area. Additionally, you see no trap doors in the building.

Iudex
2011-05-09, 07:44 PM
Sciens inspects the building as well.

Just searching the building:
Perception: 23

Hypophrygian
2011-05-09, 08:25 PM
Crow seeks to gain a better vantage point by again climbing up one of the great plant-towers. He's quickly developing a fondness for them.

Athletics to climb: 8+15=23

This way I can explain my having taken the tree-based warden paragon path! He likes trees!

Crixx
2011-05-10, 11:39 AM
It becomes readily apparent to the group that there is nothing left here that remains to be of any use. Your thorough search yielded nothing but a burnt piece of paper. Even climbing the large plants shows nothing but the path winding away east and west amidst the endless sea of green.

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-10, 01:08 PM
With no other options becoming apparent, and the village offering no other clues, Professor Max trots back out the way they came.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-10, 02:35 PM
Crow readily follows Professor Max, utterly at a loss for what to do.

ComandanteMike
2011-05-10, 07:01 PM
After having stared into space for a bit, Raul turns to see his friends marching down the path they took. Perplexed, Raul turns and shouts, saying "Is there not another path on which we can continue? Why are we bothering to turn around. We saw no one that could have done this when we approached this slaughter. They must have left some other way. Let's go hunt them. I must avenge these civilized beings."

Hypophrygian
2011-05-10, 09:16 PM
Crow

"Raul, there is no other path. We scoured the borders of the village. The trail here has gone cold. Where is are we to go?"

Hypophrygian
2011-05-10, 09:42 PM
Chris, there seems to be some confusion. Does this path keep going or dead end in this village?

Crixx
2011-05-10, 11:39 PM
The path goes past the village, you stepped off it to inspect things. You were going east, and I presume you mean to continue heading east. I would really like Chris to be here before I give the next scene, as stuff happens. Important stuff. Can anyone convince him to post?

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-13, 10:04 AM
Everyone knows there's no such thing as Chris Berg, Chris Tressler. He's only a myth.

Crixx
2011-05-13, 10:57 AM
Yeah, you're right Professor Max.

So this next bit is a skill challenge. Since you have not done one before like this (certainly not on-line) here is my explanation of how it will work.

You are going to be asked questions. You may roll skill checks before you make responses to try to make more appropriate answers. The higher the check, the more likely success is. However, only one person can answer each question. I would prefer not going by initiative (because then the wizard might get stuck with the nature check and the fighter with the arcana check) so whoever answers first will be the only one with a skill check to roll. Others can pipe up to support or deny what the speaker says, but after 24 hours, I will be asking the next question.

Feel free to have one person act as envoy and answer all the questions, but if this is done, that person should consult the group. I would like you guys to all have a chance to participate in this.

Near dusk you take another turn down the trodden path, and are confronted by looming stone walls. Twenty feet ahead of you a city wall rears up over fifty feet into the sky.The large plants end about where you are standing. A portcullis made of iron stands half as high as the wall along the path. You can see houses and people through the gate.

A few guards stand atop the wall, and some are pointing at you. One, clad in a dull grey uniform without emblem, steps forward and yells out to you, "Who are you that would pass these gates?"

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-14, 12:12 PM
Professor Max gives a start at the shouting of the wall-guard, whose challenge interrupted his admiration of the giant structure.

He reaffixes his spectacles on his nose, then responds. "Oh, hello! I am Professor Emeritus Maximillian Markopoulos, of the Academy of Bulkor," he states with a hint of pride. Gesturing around the party, he names each man. "With me are Sciens the Bard, the warriors Crow and Raul, and there may possibly be another a day or so behind us."

Insight check to determine where we might be based on the guard's dress, speech, and mannerisms: 23

Crixx
2011-05-14, 04:57 PM
Your insight gives you no clue as to where this man is from, or where you are now.

The man confers with another guard who then disappears from the wall. He looks back to you and asks, "What business do you have in Orel?"

Hypophrygian
2011-05-15, 03:26 AM
Hey guys. So wifi is seriously hard to come by in Rome--basically the only option is to pay 2 euro ($3) at the hotel desk for an hour of connection. I'm only here until Thursday, after which I'm going to be in Florence, where I'll have wifi in my apartment. Until then, I give you guys permission to post for me if you want.

Iudex
2011-05-15, 12:54 PM
Sciens shouts up, regarding the gate as well as the people atop it.

"We are but a traveling band of heroes following the trail of a mysterious teleporting man. We have no will to cause trouble of any kind in your city. Please let us in. We have been traveling in this world that we know little about and would greatly appreciate some hospitality."

Diplomacy Check: 17+18=35

Crixx
2011-05-15, 02:04 PM
After Sciens speaks, the guard's mannerisms seem much more relaxed. However, he does not respond to Sciens' question, choosing instead to ask anoter of his own.
"Would you be willing to bind your weapons with peace knots upon entering the city?"

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-16, 12:55 PM
Professor Max looks back at those companions who have weapons to tie, then replies hesitantly, "...Yeeeeeess," through a growing grin.

He's not lying, but instead thinks it's funny because there are not many blades to tie among them, himself wielding orbs.

Crixx
2011-05-16, 01:57 PM
I will need Mike to confirm this acceptance, as he is the only one currently not listed as unavailable who has a blade. Crow assents to the peace knot and Hannah is not here yet.

ComandanteMike
2011-05-17, 12:10 PM
Raul nods his approval to the demands of the guard and mutters beneath his breath "some hospitality would be nice".

Sorry guys, I've been busy the past couple of days. Feel free to text me if you want me to post.

Crixx
2011-05-17, 05:55 PM
The guard, seeming well satisfied with the party's willingness to keep the peace, asks his next question. "From which province do you hail?"

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-17, 06:43 PM
Did either the guard speaking or the man he conferred with appear to balk when I mentioned I was from Bulkor?

Do these guards seem unusually suspicious or paranoid, or does this seem like a routine inspection of travelers?

Crixx
2011-05-18, 11:53 AM
There was no response when you said Bulkor. This seems like a routine for the man atop the wall, though the man he sent away earlier was looking anxious.

Iudex
2011-05-18, 07:01 PM
Sciens would like to summarize their journey through song. What do I need to roll? Just Diplomacy?

Crixx
2011-05-18, 10:59 PM
Roll whatever checks you think reasonable

Iudex
2011-05-19, 11:10 AM
Sciens pulls out his lute and tells a summarized version of the parties travels, going from the desert, into the caves, back out, and coming through the forest.

"We come from a land down under..."

Diplomacy: 7+18=25

Crixx
2011-05-19, 11:25 AM
The guards look at one another as the tale finishes. There are muttered words, none of which you can hear, and then the speaking guard turns back to you. His voice is crisp as he asks, "What news do you have of the surrounding area?"

Hypophrygian
2011-05-20, 08:56 AM
Crow

Crow replies with no hesitation whatsoever. "Some houses got burnt not too far down the road from here. Couldn't figure what did the burnin' though."

Crixx
2011-05-20, 10:40 AM
The guard seems startled. "That is troubling news. We have not heard from any villages East or West for a fortnight. I thank you for that information. Now, I must ask you, are any among you blighted?"

ComandanteMike
2011-05-20, 06:44 PM
Raul hold his tongue while waiting for one of his more verbose companions to respond to the guards question. He thinks to himself "I feel fine, but then again, I never was one to pay attention to illness...".

My character wouldn't be a good bluffer guys and he would know that, so i'll let u take care of this.

Iudex
2011-05-21, 11:30 AM
Sciens has a quizzical look on his face. "What do you mean blighted? We are newcomers to this place and know very little of what is going on."

Crixx
2011-05-21, 11:53 AM
This gives the guard pause. "You claim to have come from the desert and have escaped the clutches of the Ruined city. Now you say you know not of the blighted?" The guard shakes his head. "If it were up to me, you'd be shackled and thrown into the dungeons for such lies . . . however, you have agreed to peace within the city, so there is naught I can do."

The guard turns away from you then, and a few moments later the gate is raised enough for your party to enter the city. Beneath the gate the guardsmen bind such weapons as they can to their scabbards with a complicated knot of gold, red, and grey thread.

It is near evening as you finally enter the city of Orel. The common folk rush about their lives around you. There are wooden signs hanging from every storefront, and paths to your right lead down to colossal crafts made from the plants in the forest. They float on an expanse of water larger than you could have ever dreamed.

Iudex
2011-05-22, 01:45 PM
Is it possible to still talk to the guard we were talking to or another one. Sciens is still curious about 'the blighted'. (Where they people/things that we encountered previously?)
If Sciens can talk to a guard:
"Please tell me more of the blighted. It is possible that we may have seen such things without knowing it or knowing what to call them."

Did Sciens' wand get bound with the special thread?

If the party is going to wander around for a bit Sciens would like to go look at the water.

Crixx
2011-05-24, 01:06 PM
@EveryoneYou can talk to the guard and do any other things you want, the world is open for the moment.
@SciensThe guard looks you up and down for a moment, then answers. "The blighted are people whose minds have been infected. It gives them strange, corrupted power but also decays their sanity. Their presence has turned the land to the north into a wasteland of rot and decay. You would have known any of these people if you'd seen them up-close. The stench of death is hard to miss."

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-24, 08:43 PM
Professor Max spends the afternoon perusing the scroll-shops and alchemical stores to get a sense of the tradition of magic in this unfamiliar country.

May I make an Arcana check to see if I gather any useful information about how magic is performed and studied in this area (i.e. important local magical figures, if the verdant environment plays a significant role in their magic, etc)?

Arcana: 8 + 17 = 25
Here's also an Insight check because I'm sort of inferring these things: 5 + 14 = 19

If I can find a scroll for it, I'd like to buy the Bloom ritual since everything is all lush and green around here, and as an Adroit Explorer, Max feels like he should incorporate some of this country into his magic to take it with him.

Purchases:
Bloom - 100g
Cure Disease - 360g
Ritual supplies: 340g

Done!

Crixx
2011-05-24, 09:43 PM
Professor Max finds everything he needs to buy in a small shop called Wizard Supply Plus. This does however, seem a poor spot for information. Deeper into the sprawling city, this time in a grimy alleyway, he finds another shop called Wizards and Nobles. Though this at first seems like a strange place for magic, the squat gnome patron turns out to be a wise fellow.

He leans in close over the counter to tell Professor Max what he knows. "The council will tell you that those who are blighted have caused the lands in the north to become a ghost of what they were. But some say, the place changes the people. If a mother eats the diseased fruit of those lands, her child is sure to be blighted." He leans back and begins shuffling through his wares as he had been when the wizard arrived. "But if the great Lord Elinor of the closed eye, Patron of Arcane arts says it is the fault of the blighted, who am I to argue? Now buy something or get out."

Iudex
2011-05-25, 02:39 PM
Sciens first goes to the water, where he stares at it for awhile and pokes it with a stick. He then absentmindedly wanders through the city, keeping an eye out for somewhere the party could stay the night and any sign of the mysterious teleporting man.

Crixx
2011-05-25, 03:03 PM
Sciens finds an inn near the docks by the name of The Sleepy Bear. The man behind the counter glances quickly at Sciens' entrance, but looks back to the halfling woman in front of him. She is yelling, "And if I hear of you denying people rooms when you have plenty left I'll have your hide d'you hear? I don't care how much they can pay you'll let those peasants sleep under a roof!" She then storms out, pushing Sciens to the side as she does so.

The innkeep informs him that rooms are a silver piece per night per person.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-25, 04:22 PM
Crow

Crow, enamored with the new plant growth in this area, inquires with some townsfolk as to the nature of the organisms. Stopping the first passerby, he asks, "What're those things?" gesturing towards the nearest examples, whether outside the gate or in the city.

Crixx
2011-05-25, 04:40 PM
Standing near the city gates, the dirty human man Crow approached looks quizzically at him and says, "The trees? Well . . . they're trees is all I think. Are they doin' funky things? If so, tel the guards." He then walks off, looking significantly more worried than he had been.

ComandanteMike
2011-05-25, 04:57 PM
Being the religious warrior that he is, Raul asks the guard where the city temple or nearest place of worship can be found. Upon arriving there, he silently prays to Erathis. First thanking her for his victories and for having lead him through the darkness of the long and perilous dungeon. Next, he prays for the protection of the city he has just discovered. Then, he prays for the strength necessary to eradicate the blight and whatever destroyed the village they had passed through.

Getting up, Raul approaches a priest of the temple and politely asks him, "Good Sir, I am new to these parts and was wondering if you could answer a few of my questions?"

If he says yes, then Raul says the following and donates 5 gold pieces to the temple "Thank you, and may [enter appropriate deity name here] smile upon you today. My questions concern the city and the blight. What is the name of the city? Who is the lord of the city?What knowledge does this temple have of the blight? Is it curable? Has it ever been discovered inside the city walls? Has anyone tried to fight it yet?" If he says no, then Raul sighs, donates 10 gold pieces, and says "Here, if you're unwilling to answer simple questions of decent folk, then you will be needing this more than I will."
Streetwise check:13+7mod=20

Crixx
2011-05-25, 05:08 PM
The gnarled old goliath priest Raoul approaches worships Kord, and after the donation to his church, he gladly tells Raoul what he asks about. "This is the city of Orel, ruled by the council of lords and ladies. Duke Octavio and Lady Alexandria are the two of highest rank. The blight is a disease of the mind, it corrupts the soul. The dark deities are likely responsible. We cure it by culling the flocks of the wicked blighted. They have been seen in the city but rarely since our glorious work has begun. Do not worry young one, the blighted cannot harm you here."

Iudex
2011-05-26, 09:19 PM
Sciens lazily looks around the inn while speaking to the innkeeper. "Good sir, who was that lady who just stormed out? And if I may I have a few other questions", Sciens says as he slips the money for the party to stay the night on the counter.

Checks if I need them:
Diplomacy: 29
Streetwise: 19
Perception: 26

If the innkeeper is willing to answer questions:
"My party seeks a teleporting tiefling man, do you who that is or where we might find him."
"Is there any sort of mages guild or gathering place for users of magic in this city?"
"What is the principal form of recreation/entertainment in the city?"
"Where might a group of hardy adventurers look for work?"

Crixx
2011-05-27, 11:07 AM
The jowls of the innkeep wobble as he shakes his head. "That was Valda, a right nasty wench. She comes in here just about every day to bicker about my custom. I don't know nothin' about no teifling, and the guild of mages hasn't been here for years. Blight prob'ly scared 'em off the lousy buggers." The portly man fishes a key out from under the desk and hands it to you. "Entertainment? Whoring. Shouldn't be too hard to scrounge up a woman on the streets. Maybe one o' them will have work for 'hardy adventurers'. Ha. Now move on, don't need you standin' here when other customers come. Valda may be a thorn in my side, but she certainly brings me customers.

Crixx
2011-05-27, 03:30 PM
@Professor Max + RaoulIt is getting to be very late in the evening. Storefronts are closing and the general public is leaving the streets to find rest. The remaining guard patrols are doing their best to usher people to homes and inns.
@CrowAs evening sets in you are approached by a quad of gaurds wielding cudgels. One of the men is the guard from the gate. He speaks to you as the other guards surround you. "Crow Rockhammer. You are under arrest for the breaking of the seal on the ruins of the City of Shamans. We are here to escort you to the city jail. I advise you come peacefully."You can try to fight or go peacefully. If you fight I'll run through the battle with you. Otherwise the following happensCrow's hands are tied roughly behind him with hempen rope. He is then dragged through the streets toward the large castle in the center of the city. In a building set against the wall of the castle he is led in and thrown into a dank cell.

Iudex
2011-05-27, 08:48 PM
Sciens, slightly curious to the fact that the tall people he'd been traveling with are no longer around him, goes out looking for the members of his party.

As we walks around looking for the party members he pulls out his lute and plays the Song of Rest.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-28, 02:27 PM
Crow casts a glance around the street. In light of the other people walking around the street, he decides to go peacefully. He does, however, attempt to surreptitiously test the strength of his bonds as the guards lead him toward what is presumably the prison.

Thievery check: 1d20+6=18 (sleight of hand to check the strength of the knot without the guards noticing?)

Crixx
2011-05-28, 03:26 PM
@SciensWhen you begin to play you are approached by a quad of guards, none of whom you recognize. The one who steps up to speak with you has a thick black beard. "By Proclamation of the Council you must be inside after dusk. Go back to your home or to an inn."
@CrowYou believe you have gone unnoticed in your testing of the bond. It is quite strong, and if you pull on the hilt, the knot only tightens. You are not sure if you could yank it out anyway without cutting the knot.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-29, 03:36 AM
Crow looks around the room outside his cell as well as he can, trying to see if any of his companions have also been detained.

Crixx
2011-05-29, 12:38 PM
As Crow peers through his dim surroundings he begins to make out the shapes of other cells. As far as he can tell, the ones in his view are empty. He can hear rats crawling in the prison.

@AllI know where Crow is spending the night, I need everyone else to give descriptions for their sleeping accommodations. Then I can make it dawn and continue with the story stuff. In the future it might be good if you guys had a plan as a party to get together somewhere or something. Professor Max and Raoul can feel free to pretend you did that this time and can head to The Sleepy Bear, but this is by no means necessary.

SpaceHamster15
2011-05-29, 03:55 PM
Creaking in the twilight breeze, a sign painted with the image of a sprawling, drunken bear catches the eye of Professor Max. From the doorway below the sign tumble the sounds and smells of an inn, lulling the hungry and tired mage closer and over the threshold. I'll stay here, he decides, and look for my friends tomorrow.

ComandanteMike
2011-05-29, 05:48 PM
Raul, as if being guided by the divine hand of Erathis, finds himself standing in front of a sign with a sleeping bear upon it. Upon arriving, he knows deep down that either he will find his comrades here, or someone here will have heard/seen something of them.

With a stomach growling, he enters the inn as the last bit of daylight reflects off his peace-tied mace.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-30, 06:45 AM
Did the guards leave Crow's maul with him or not?

Crixx
2011-05-30, 10:13 AM
The guards did leave Crow's maul with him, along with all of the other belongings he had on his person. Raoul and Professor Max enter The Sleepy Bear at different times. It costs one silver to spend the night. After you pay, the fat innkeeper gives you a key to a room down the hall. Still need to know if Sciens listened to the guards or not.

Iudex
2011-05-30, 01:13 PM
Sciens gives only a nod in response to the guards, and without even looking at them returns to the inn.

Crixx
2011-05-31, 09:25 AM
Sciens, Raoul, and Professor Max spend a restful night at The Sleepy Bear. They are awoken near dawn by yelling from the inn's lobby. Valda, the halfling woman Sciens saw the day before, is berating the innkeep again about his patronage. Words sift through the walls to reach the adventurers. ". . . care if they can't pay . . . peasants . . . no homes . . . filthy. You Hear me?"

Halfway across the city, Crow has a different sort of night. In the hour just before dawn he is awoken, after falling to sleep weary with travel, by the light of a torch. The man approaching is the Tiefling from just outside the ruined city. He is dressed in fine red robes with the symbol of a hammer sown in black on the chest. "I am sorry for the inconvenience Crow. There was a misunderstanding by the gate guards. Duke Octavio wishes to send his most gracious apologies for this grave error. You are released now from this cell. Your friends are staying at an inn called The Sleepy Bear near the docks south-east from here. May I see you again under better circumstances." Without giving Crow time to respond, the tiefling opens the cell and teleports away. Crow finds all of the guards inside the jail-house to be sleeping.

Hypophrygian
2011-05-31, 12:02 PM
Crow looks about the jail-house (without moving, just looking, so as not to make any noise) for any sort of small blade. Not a dagger or sword or any sort of real weapon, just a kitchen knife or something of that sort. Something that wouldn't be missed.

Assuming he finds such a blade, he then discretely attempts to cut through the cords on his maul, then loosely re-ties the severed cord to disguise the fact that it's been cut.

Thievery for a use-rope check: 1d20+6=15

Crixx
2011-05-31, 01:00 PM
Crow finds the blade and undoes the knot easily. However, he realizes that his attempt to loosely retie the knot has only been successful in part. He does not believe anyone who comes within a few feet of him will be fooled by the knot. It has clearly been tampered with.Your goal Crow was however successful, you can easily free your maul from the clutches of its loose string confinement as a minor action

Hypophrygian
2011-05-31, 01:04 PM
Crow shifts his carriage of the maul so that the knot is as well concealed against his body as possible (e.g. if the knot is on the head, he turns it so that the head rides against his hip rather than overtop his shoulder) and sets off for the inn, discretely remaining clear of any pedestrian traffic he might encounter.

Upon arriving, he offers the requisite coin to the innkeeper for a room.

Crixx
2011-05-31, 01:15 PM
Crow is awoken in an hour or two by the same sounds as his companions above. Dawn. New Day. Good luck finding a quest. Shouldn't be hard :)

Hypophrygian
2011-05-31, 03:12 PM
Crow wanders out of his room, looking for his companions.

ComandanteMike
2011-05-31, 04:23 PM
Hearing the ruckus, Raul awakens and groggily stumbles out of is room to see what the commotion is all about. When doing this, Raul stumbles into Crow and says "CROW! How? but what? um...well praise be to Erathis, I found one of my friends. Have you heard word of the others yet?"

Hypophrygian
2011-05-31, 06:15 PM
Crow shrugs. "I thought they were with you."

ComandanteMike
2011-05-31, 11:15 PM
Looking at the ground, Raul responds with "Well...we all split up. I went to the temple of..." Raul then explains his past day and all he discovered to Crow in short before asking and what happened to you yesterday? Where did you disappear to?.

Hey guys, I'm going to go into surgery tomorrow in order to remove the metal bar that i've had in my chest for the past 3 years, so i might not respond for a bit. Raul will follow along with whatever happens and be a good little avenger. Its an outpatient surgery so I should be out quickly and recovery is supposed to be easy. so, I won't be gone long from this.

Iudex
2011-05-31, 11:27 PM
Sciens walks out, blinks a few times to register the existence of his companions, but makes no other form of greeting. Sciens then gathers up his things and prepares for the day.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-01, 08:13 AM
Professor Max toddles out of his room directly and purposefully towards the clamoring woman and the innkeep. When he finds them, he pulls a barstool adjacent to the woman, climbs on top, and steadies his balance. Then, he waits, his face pressed uncomfortably close to hers, for her to acknowledge him. When she does he instantly shouts "WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM MA'AM?"

Assuming they're still arguing.

Hypophrygian
2011-06-01, 08:30 AM
Crow explains his previous night to his companion as best he can

Crixx
2011-06-01, 10:02 AM
When Professor Max approaches the innkeep and Valda with his stool, they are engaged in a staring contest. After the innkeep blinks, Valda does turn to the Professor. She tilts her head to the left, examining him for a moment before speaking. "This town has always been full of fools. Now, it is also full of peasants, and the two can't seem to get along. You don't look to be a peasant, so you must be a fool as well as fat Bartelby here.."

Iudex
2011-06-02, 11:08 AM
Sciens

"Perhaps we should give this Duke Octavio a visit, or see what else we kind find out about this place out in the city."

Sciens is ready to go and do whatever.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-02, 09:12 PM
Professor Max regards the lady confidently while she speaks. "A fool I may be, madam, though not one so big a one not to see that there is a persistent problem here," he grins. "My friends and I are quite capable problem-solvers. Perhaps," he casts a sidelong glance at Valda, "we can help each other?"

Diplomacy! 10 + 5 = 15

Crixx
2011-06-02, 09:51 PM
Suspicion lights up in Valda's eyes. "Friends you say?Hmm. Bring them to me. Prove that you are not lying, and i will tell you of these troubles. But I warn you, if you take advantage of the people you would protect, it would not go easy with you"

Iudex
2011-06-03, 11:20 AM
Sciens walks out to where all the yelling was happening. "What in Fey is going on out here?"

ComandanteMike
2011-06-03, 12:02 PM
Raul suggests to Crow that they should go find out what the commotion was about and moves toward the noises coming from the main room.

Crixx
2011-06-04, 10:27 PM
An awkward silence descends on the front room of the inn as Raoul and Sciens join Professor Max, Valda, and the innkeep. Valda ignores their entrance and continues to examine Professor Max, waiting for him to go find his "friends".I know you guys know each other, but there is no way an NPC can connect you easily yet. Also, feel free to react to a scene you enter (if i have already described it for others). You do not need to wait for more things to happen after you arrive to act.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-05, 02:44 PM
Professor Max bows, motioning with a flourish to the newest occupants of the room. "Five we were, but four we are: Sciens, Raoul, Crow, and myself."

He then thrusts toward Valda a purplely-robed arm, expecting a handshake.

Crixx
2011-06-05, 03:07 PM
Valda smacks away Professor Max's hand unceremoniously. "Your friends seem a shabby bunch. But maybe you can handle this problem. The royal council has decreed that all the villagers from the towns to the east are welcome in the city until the troubles have ceased. There is not enough room for them. Bandits are plaguing the countryside with surprising force. It is rumored that these bandits have completely captured one of the outlying towns. For some reason, the council has stale-mated over the decision to send guards to help the country. If you truly want to help, find these bandits and eradicate them." Valda stares at each of the companions in turn. It is a cold, hard stare. She then leaves The Sleepy Bear.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-05, 07:13 PM
Professor Max hops lightly down from the stool and bounces over to the group. "I think I found us some work! She seems to have some authority over the common folk here. Maybe if we help these peasants, they will help us find the tiefling! If we can draw the public's attention to our cause, maybe it'll draw the tiefling out of hiding. Maybe he'll even come to us!

"Or, failing those reasons, if we're going to be searching this place for the tiefling, we might as well help people along the way." He waits to hear the others' thoughts.

Iudex
2011-06-06, 02:51 PM
Sciens yells, "Let's do it!" Then runs out of the inn.

Leeeeeeeeroy....

Crixx
2011-06-06, 08:05 PM
I will give you Raoul and Crow till tomorrow at 9pm here to post their characters opinions. Otherwise, I'll just go along with decisions like this for time convenience unless anyone has any objections to that.

Hypophrygian
2011-06-07, 12:28 AM
Crow

"I'm in."

Crow approaches Valda at the bar. "Do you know a Duke Octavio? What do you know about him?"

Crixx
2011-06-07, 01:17 PM
Valda is gone. let's pretend you asked the innkeep

The fat man looks at you curiously, "Duke Octavio is one of the council members, one of the more powerful ones. He is in charge of the city defenses."

Hypophrygian
2011-06-07, 01:18 PM
Crow

"Hmm. 's he a tiefling?"

Crixx
2011-06-07, 02:11 PM
"No, he is one of the two human council members. The only Tiefling is Duchess Dagmar, patron of history. Don't you know anything about this city?"

Crixx
2011-06-08, 09:58 AM
After the awkward and interesting conversations with the halfling woman Valda and the fat innkeep of The Sleepy Bear, the group of adventurers begins its journey to the east. As they pass through the eastern gate, they are informed by a guard on duty that they may cut their peace knots.

About half a days walk from the city walls, they come upon a deserted town. A few buildings are half-burned, but most seem intact. Strangely enough, there seem to be a few tracks heading toward the north-east, further away from the safety of the city.

Following this trail brings on dusk. The adventurers follow the tree-surrounded path, and soon hear voices in the distance. Fires can be seen through the foliage.

All right, 2 things. 1: the town that you passed through had some farming supplies, but was pretty well raided. There were some plates and other household items. Just note in spoilers if you took any of that. There was nothing else of interest. 2: I forgot to give you xp when you slept for the skill challenge didn't I? 600xp each

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-09, 05:46 AM
Behind the leafy veil, Professor Max fusses with his spectacles and blinks and squints, peering out through the brush to observe whom he expects to be the bandits they're looking for.

Perception @ fire and voices: 5 + 9 = 14
While we were walking, I would like to have examined the tracks to identify any non-human creatures with Nature: 11 + 16 = 27

Iudex
2011-06-09, 03:44 PM
Sciens attempts to get a better look at what is going on.

perception check: 25

can we tell if they are campfires or stuff/buildings on fire?

Crixx
2011-06-09, 05:54 PM
Professor Max, upon examining the trail, can see that most of them are from boots or sandals. There is a pair off to the side of the path that has claws, but it was obviously walking on two legs, so is likely a humanoid creature.

Sciens, in his peering forward through the foliage, can see the outlines of a few buildings ahead. The fires do not seem to be coming from the buildings he can see.

Iudex
2011-06-09, 06:26 PM
Sciens turns to the party and speaks quietly. "Let us quietly sneak forward and get a better look."

Crixx
2011-06-10, 06:30 PM
Anyone wishing to sneak forward please make a stealth check. Since Hannah never showed up, I'll adjust the battles accordingly, so we can continue.

Iudex
2011-06-11, 08:23 AM
Stealth Check: 18

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-12, 10:49 PM
Stealth: 13 + 7 = 20

Hypophrygian
2011-06-13, 08:33 AM
Crow lingers at the back, realizing that his clumsiness makes him ill-suited for sneaking.

ComandanteMike
2011-06-13, 09:44 AM
stealth check: 1+(9)=10, ugh...i'm assuming i stepped on a crunchy twig at some point...

Crixx
2011-06-13, 10:02 AM
Crow waits on the path while the rest of the party edges forward for a better look. About twenty feet ahead of the larger group are a few humans with clubs patrolling the forest that surrounds the small village. All of the buildings here seem to be intact, and it is clear that the lights are campfires.

Then, Raoul moves through some underbrush that startles two rabbits out of their home. Their running causes a lot of noise, and the guards stand more alert, peering into the forest.

I''ll have a map up sometime tomorrow. You are not in initiative yet, because the trees are too thick for the men to see you in the dark. (the sun has gone down now, but the moon is out). However, it will be harder to achieve a surprise round now. Feel free to continue to post and decide on plans. There are four campfires you can see, and two patrol-men. There is a source of light coming from a larger building further into the small clearing.

Hypophrygian
2011-06-13, 11:07 AM
Crow waits a moment on the path, then realizes that he can't very well defend his allies from the back. He clumsily attempts to sneak forward.

Stealth check: 1d20+6=9. womp.
Don't leave me alone, guys!

Iudex
2011-06-13, 02:48 PM
Sciens studies the humans closely then turns to the party."Let me handle this," Sciens whispers to his allies and then begins casting spells.

Stealth Check to maintain being sneaky: 24

Veil:
Minor Action
Target: You and each ally in burst
Effect: You transform the auditory, tactile, and visual qualities
of the targets’ bodies and equipment. Each target
assumes the appearance of a humanoid of the same size,
even the appearance of a specific individual you have
seen. The illusion lasts for 1 hour, or you can end it as a
minor action. A creature can recognize a target’s form as
illusory with an Insight check opposed by that target’s
Bluff check with a +5 power bonus.

I transform myself and the party to look like the humans. Not exact copies, but I want us to appear human and have the same basic garb as the ones that I can see.

If I have time (the guards don't notice us yet) I'd also like to cast a short ritual:
Glib Limerick:
1 minute cast, 10 minute duration.
For the ritual’s duration, whenever you make a Bluff
check, you can roll twice and use either result. The ritual’s
effect automatically ends when you roll initiative.

Crixx
2011-06-13, 04:43 PM
Feel free to roll the checks for the ritual. By the time you finish the ritual, the two men on patrol have moved somewhere else along the outside of the camp.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-14, 05:30 AM
Illusions are frickin awesome!

My insight DC: 9 + 5 + 5 = 19

ComandanteMike
2011-06-14, 12:59 PM
Raul waits for the guards to move away and then shifts his position so he is hidden more effectively in the trees but closer to the path.

stealth check: 3+9=12

Crixx
2011-06-14, 01:40 PM
I'm having some trouble with the map stuff. It probably won't be till wednesday that I manage to get it up. It also may be very old-school. Sorry for the wait.

Iudex
2011-06-14, 01:40 PM
Sciens quickly looks over the transformed party, then, happy with his work begins moving in. "Let's move in. Let me do the talking. Let's find out as much as we can without bloodshed," he whispers.

Crixx
2011-06-15, 07:43 PM
Feel free to continue in your plans, the map is up and there might be better maps in the future (though at this point it would just be pictures and i would move everything). Anyway, no more delay on my end, sorry for the wait :)

Hypophrygian
2011-06-16, 01:21 PM
Crow shifts uncomfortably in his new form, then falls in behind Sciens, ready to defend his friend from whatever danger he's rushing into.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-16, 07:17 PM
Professor Max titters along beside Somnio, disguised by the illusion. Then, realizing that brutish human bandits do not titter, attempts what he imagines must be the casual gait of a man taller and more muscular than he.

I swagger awkwardly, swinging my illusory arms with great exaggeration.

Iudex
2011-06-19, 01:28 PM
Sciens walks with his companions back onto the path, then leads them straight to the camp.

Into the wolf's den we go.

Crixx
2011-06-19, 01:37 PM
At the beginning of the clearing are two human guards with cudgels leaning against the trees. When they see you coming down the path, they stand in the way. The one on the left has a large scar cut across his neck, and his companion is wearing an eye patch. The scarred one spits and says, "Who the hell're you?"

Please move yourselves on the map if you went with Sciens.

Iudex
2011-06-19, 09:18 PM
Sciens gets a quizzical look on his face. "What are you talking about? You know me."

Bluff:
19+18=37
10+18=28

Crixx
2011-06-19, 09:39 PM
The man squints at Sciens for a moment then says, "Well why're you out on the path? Get back to patrolling . . . ?" It is clear from this man's grimace and confusion, that Sciens has been accepted in a fit of embarrassment by the two "forgetful" guards.

Iudex
2011-06-20, 11:46 AM
Sciens nods and continues past and begins the party's 'patrol' on the edge of the camp.

If no one else interrupts us I would like to walk a little ways along the edge of the camp and get a better look at what all is there.

Hypophrygian
2011-06-21, 07:20 AM
Crow falls in next to Sciens, matching his stride. As they walk, he keeps one hand resting on the grip of his maul, sizing up the defenses of this camp.

Perception to pick up on what kind of fight these humans would put up: 11
God dammit.

Crixx
2011-06-21, 11:40 AM
Through the flickering light of the campfires Crow sees that there are quite a few men around the small hamlet. There is also candlelight coming from inside the largest of the buildings. From his place near the edge of camp however, he cannot discern the strength of his enemies through the darkness of night.

Iudex
2011-06-21, 03:21 PM
Is there anyone around the large building or any guards nearby?

Crixx
2011-06-21, 05:10 PM
The map is updated with all of the enemies you see outside

Iudex
2011-06-21, 09:21 PM
Moved us further in. (I moved Crow and Prof Max with me assuming they are just walking with me).

Closer to the buildings now. How sturdy are they? Can I see inside?

Perception Check: 18

Crixx
2011-06-22, 02:25 PM
Sciens inspection of the buildings made from the strange "tree" plants reveals that they are in pretty good shape. He does not believe much fighting occurred in this town (though one house has been burned and looted). In the darkness he cannot see inside the building with any clarity.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-24, 02:59 PM
Professor Max casually struts across the center of the clearing with a puffed-up, wide-swinging gait. He tries to sneak a surreptitious peek into the window of the candlelit building as he passes.

Perception: 10 + 9 = 19

Crixx
2011-06-24, 03:10 PM
Professor Max catches a quick glance inside the building, and it seems as if a meeting is going on. Three men dressed like those at the campfires stand inside near the doors with their clubs ready. There are two more figures i the room. One is a Deva, standing at least a foot taller than the human men. He wears glimmering heavy plate armor. The final humanoid in the room looks more animal than man. He has a deep pelt of fur, a face full of sharp teeth, and two punching daggers in sheaths.

I also need you to make a bluff check because you are doing something normal guards would not. The bluff is to act convincingly enough that no one outside suspects your deceit.

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-24, 09:13 PM
Fair enough!

Bluff: 3 + 5 = 8!

Oh so smooth!

Iudex
2011-06-25, 10:16 AM
Sciens casually moves over to the nearest campfire. "So whats going on in there? We don't know because we have been out on patrol," Sciens asks, gesturing towards the large building.

Bluff:
18+18=36
6+18=24

Crixx
2011-06-25, 12:33 PM
The men at the campfire give Sciens a glance and shrug. One says, "How the hell should I know?" At this same time, a man who saw Professor Max from another campfire walks up and asks him, "What're you doin'? Why aren't you patrolling?"

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-26, 01:08 AM
Thinking quickly, Professor Max casts about for an answer. Then, with a gasp of inspiration a a mischevious grin, he responds. "Thank gods! Come quick!" he implores the man. "There's a guy snooping in the bushes outside of camp! I think he's a scout. Follow me!" He then hustles back to where the three of them left Raul.Bluff, pretending to be a legit bandit: 2 + 5 = 7

I return to Raul regardless whether the guy follows. Unless, you know, he stabs me.

Crixx
2011-06-26, 11:39 AM
With a start, the man follows Professor Max immediately, the threat of danger overriding his senses so that he does not notice the flamboyant and exaggerated movements of the disguised professor. As he passes by the campfire where Sciens is talking, he tells one of the seated guards to follow him.

Iudex
2011-06-27, 11:23 AM
Sciens, hoping that Professor Max knows what he's doing, walks back towards the large building and attempts to listen in while making it appear that he is just guarding outside.

Sciens stands outside the window of the building so that the people inside can't see him, but making it appear if he is just guarding the doorway so that no one goes in.

Perception check to hear what is going on inside: 19+13=32

Bluff to make it seem look like I'm supposed to be there:
6+18=24
16+18=34

Crixx
2011-06-27, 01:30 PM
No one interrupts Sciens as he listens at the door of the large wooden building. He can hear two voices talking back and forth. The first voice is very gravelly and all but inaudible (most of his words are lost), but the other is strong and deep.

" . . . Grwar filthy . . . . . . west"
"Yes, we need to travel west but we cannot overrun Orel. We shall have to go north."
"Dragonsbane . . . . . . . . . Blighted . . . . . . curse."
"No matter. We shall brave the lands and havoc the hamlets west of the city. No doubt many will believe Orel is surrounded by bandits. We should easily be able to infiltrate during the chaos."

After that the voices get quieter, and Sciens believes the two who were talking have moved deeper into the building.

Iudex
2011-06-29, 05:37 PM
Sciens decides to go after Professor Max.

I'll assume for now that Crow comes with me.

Hypophrygian
2011-06-29, 05:40 PM
Crow does indeed accompany his companions.

YOU WILL ASSUME NOTHING!

ComandanteMike
2011-06-29, 06:02 PM
While all of that was going on, Raul moved himself slightly further down in the trees along the edge of the encampment. As he sees Professor Max's dramatic approach, he waits until the guards are close enough to leap out strike from the flank. Once there he seemingly materializes out of the trees and quietly moves in for the kill.

stealth for moving further down and concealing myself again 16 + 9=25 and if I need another stealth check for moving closer in then 15 + 9=24finally!.

If I get close without them noticing, I choose the star human that's closest to me as my enmity and use Aspect of Might (8 + 17=25)damage if hit 3+1+6+5 WIS Mod=15 Let me know if this didn't hit and I'll roll again since he's my enmity.

Crixx
2011-06-30, 02:00 PM
With great stealth Raoul sneaks up behind one of the bandits, and caves in his skull with a precise strike to the temple. The man collapses immediately, but his comrade shouts out in a panic.

Roll Initiaive Fools!Also, in the future Mike, you can feel free to roll and post both attacks against your enmity target, then just cross out the one you don't want to use

SpaceHamster15
2011-06-30, 04:30 PM
Oh boy! First level 11 combat!

Init: 9 + 16 = 25

For the future Chris, would you feel comfortable rolling initiatives for everyone like Jim does? It seemed to really help speed up combat.

ComandanteMike
2011-06-30, 07:07 PM
Initiative= 5 + 9=14

Crixx
2011-07-01, 12:24 PM
You are quite right Zach, that is simpler. For time convenience I will finish off initiative, then we may start this battle before I see you guys in real life.
Initiative:
Crow 29
Professor Max 25
Enemies D
Enemies B
Raoul 14
Enemies W
Sciens 13

It is now Crow's turn. Round 1 Begin

Hypophrygian
2011-07-01, 01:14 PM
Crow

Drawing inspiration from the "trees" around him, Crow brings his maul down on the head of the guard whose voice cried out in panic. Or at least he tries to, but instead he fumbles his grip on his maul as he tries to unsheathe it.

MOVE: As appropriate. (I'm still learning how to read this map)
ATTACK: Encounter Power: Falling Tree Strike -- Critical Miss!

SpaceHamster15
2011-07-08, 11:38 AM
Professor Max winces at the sickening blow Raul delivered to his target. He quickly turns his attention back to the campful of bandits around them, and casts a charm to lull some to harmless unconsciousness.

I apologize for taking so long.

SLEEP: Burst 2 within 20 (the transparent purple box)
Int Attack: 9 + 16 = 25 vs Will

Hit: The target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails its
first saving throw against this power, the target becomes
unconscious (save ends).
Miss: The target is slowed (save ends).

**I'm popping my Orb of Imposition power to give the top-rightmost one -4 (wis mod) to his saves against this power.
**I'm also using my daily weapon power to make his buddy right next to him roll twice when he attempts saves and use the lower result.

Crixx
2011-07-08, 12:45 PM
A crash comes from inside the largest building as the bandits targeted by Professor Max's spell become increasingly sluggish. There are many shouts throughout the bandit camp and many of the bandits begin to converge on the group of intruders. The comrade of the fallen man swings his club viciously toward Raoul's exposed face, but the blow rebounds early, having hit the barrier provided to Raoul from the divine Erathis. Two of them men in the spell's area then fall unconscious, while the others seem to recover from the effects.

Well, that makes it Raoul's turn. After this battle I will be switching map programs.