PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Markov (Solo) IC

Vonwalt
2011-04-17, 04:31 PM
In character thread, NeverSleep, Solo.

Background and beginning info:
The Kingdom of Markov: Vast, mysterious, and by the standards of your homelands, fairly uncivilised. Currently, Markov is at war. Or under attack by supernatural evil. Or something. The rumors aren't exactly clear. One thing is certain, however: Markov cannot police the fledgling settlements and villages on its border. The Queen of Markov, forced into an unfortunate position by the mystery danger, has sent out a call for brave adventurers, mercenaries, and sworn swords of all stripes to come to Markov and help in their hour of need. Lured by the promise of adventure and treasure, you've traveled to the city of Vormsk, where the hastily set up tents of the Markovian Explorer's and Cartographer's guild are attempting to keep track of the myriad problems that beset the Markovian frontier.

NeverSleep
2011-04-18, 09:06 PM
After arriving by heavily armed caravan transporting other adventurers and would-be heroes, Blake and Kettle stop for a moment to take in their surroundings.

Vonwalt
2011-04-18, 10:37 PM
The "City" of Vormsk is by your standards no more than a large town. Small houses and buildings are scattered around a large stone keep, with no particular rhyme or reason directing their placement. Around these buildings is a low stone wall, perhaps ten feet in height, with an arched gate leading inward. Just to the left of the beaten track lies a bustling tent city. A sign proclaims "Adventurer's WanteD!" in bright, crudely painted letters. Adjacent to it are several other signs, which you assume say the same thing in various other languages.

The entire scene is busy: a steady stream of peasants enters and exits the city, travelling up and down the road for some distance before heading off into the surrounding plain. The tent city, of course, is packed with people, most of whom appear heavily armed and armored.
In the southern distance, you can see mountains, and to the north the plain slowly gives way to forested hills.

exits are north, south, and Dennis. What do you do? :D

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 09:16 AM
Ooc:

Is there a person we're supposed to see, or is this supposed to be a "this messed up town is so haphazardly thrown together that there is no recognized government" kind of thing?

If there is someone to see, we'll go directly there.

If there is not, we'll gather a little info as we pass a day or two at a watering hole, and putting up our own tents, stakeing a modest area for ourselves. Staying in the same unit of course.

Gather info:[roll0] I don't remember what the mod is right now for Whisper or kettle.
The mod is 3, and the result was 2, so 5
Kettles roll will be to assist
[roll1] His mod is 0, result was 3.

Dismal. LOL

(I choose Dennis)

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 10:22 AM
Despite your total confusion about what's going on around you, it's fairly obvious that a particularly large tent within the tent city is your destination. Groups of adventurers enter, then stride out moments later with newfound urgency and purpose. Also there's a sign that says "Receive Posting Heer." The two of you join the short line, and after half an hour, enter the tent.

It is dark inside. A dwarf- head shaven, beard and moustache neatly trimmed- sits at a table overflowing with papers.
"Hyu here for a posting?" He growls.

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 10:55 AM
Ooc: unless noted, can we assume it is Whisper speaking?

Yes we are sir, and we'd prefer a post where we work together, if that is at all available.

Diplomacy check to use proper manners and conciece language to make his job easier and gain this small favor(if that is indeed a favor).

You roll? Mod is 5

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 11:23 AM
you get the mighty 17.
"Yes yes, of course. I have, I think, the perfect posting for hyu." He leans forward, and hands you a piece of paper. It is a simple map, indicating only Vormsk and a few small farming villages scattered around it. One of them is circled.
"This village has not sent men to Vormsk in several weeks. One of our explorers went to check it out, and he hasn't returned. Go there, find out what is happening, and stop it. Hyu may keep whatever treasure hyu find, and ve will pay hyu 100 gold each."
He pulls out another piece of paper, and begins to write on it. "Just give me hyur names, and hyu may go."

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 12:07 PM
Certainly,

My name is Blake Shade, and this is Kettle Firesturn.

Assuming he let's us go then, we have no reason to stick around here much longer than we have to.

We'd head directly out to the location marked on the map.

If possible, Whisper would ask people in passing what they know about the location.

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 12:47 PM
All right. The map directs you along a northerly course. Before leaving, you accost a passerby and enquire about the village.
"Worl, it's a village. Called Vindelmark, kinda small. Has trouble with bandits out of the hills, but where doesn't these days? I'd say about two days' walk from here. Now if you'll excuse me..." the peasant hurries off about his business.

The two of you head north. The two days pass uneventfully; the hills grow closer, and the plain around you begins to show signs of use. In the afternoon of the second day, you begin to see buildings.

Once you get closer to the village, it's apparent that something is wrong. The buildings show signs of fire damage, and you can't see any movement within the town.

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 01:32 PM
Are we the only ones on the road coming this way?

Assuming so, we'll move off into the plains, attempting to maintain cover while we approach the city from a slightly different angle, so-as not to go trapsing in and get caught up by what/whomever was responsible for this.

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 01:41 PM
You are indeed the only ones on the road.

You crouch through the tall grass, off to the left of the road, and circle around the village. It's essentially just a single street- the road you were on- with a few buildings to either side of it. You can see what looks like a tavern, a small stone church, and a few large wooden houses. All are damaged by fire, except the church, which appears to have been attacked with some sort of large metal object. There are scratches and scars in the stonework.

You still cannot see anything moving, except for a small bird. (Make a Spot check)

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 02:58 PM
[roll0]
Whisper

Chris
[roll1]

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 03:07 PM
Whisper sees (And I assume tells Chris about) movement in one of the houses, a particularly burned out shell. A small cloud of smoke rises up from the wreckage.

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 03:42 PM
Whisper sees (And I assume tells Chris about) movement in one of the houses, a particularly burned out shell. A small cloud of smoke rises up from the wreckage.

Yes, Whisper will point out the movement, they will take a few minutes to observe. If nothing developes, they will be moving slowly forward, maintaining being hidden(take 10's).

Ranged weapons readied to grab, but not drawn yet.

I believe they will be a lt. crossbow and a longbow with str.+, the d8 arrows.

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 03:54 PM
As you watch, a strange, ratlike creature crawls up out of the wreckage, looks around, and begins moving towards one of the more intact buildings. It appears similar to a rat, but not exactly thee same. Slightly larger and more dangerous-looking, and on fire. The rat-creature is coated in flames, which you can occasionally see through the smoke cloud which follows it. All in all, five of the creatures emerge from the burnt out shell, heading in a loose pack towards a relatively undamaged building.

((They're about 50 feet away, moving along the road to the north.))

NeverSleep
2011-04-19, 07:07 PM
I'm gonna wait to reply for this one until I have a gear list. I'll probably post it in the other thread, then clean those up.

Also, I have some personal life issues going on right now, so please excuse me if I'm not quick at getting that out.

Thanks~

NeverSleep

Vonwalt
2011-04-19, 07:08 PM
No worries, dude. Take all the time you need.

NeverSleep
2011-04-20, 11:14 AM
Ok, I've got a paper list of equipments. We would have had to be a little choosey when picking what to come with for encumbrance rules, so can we assume we dropped off a pack/set up a tent/got a room etc before we left?

We're just going to go ahead and assume theses fire rats aren't supposed to be here.

Whisper attacks with a shortbow, and steps within 50(range increment) if he needs to, within 30 if possible.
to hit maybe +2 for suprise?
[roll1] damage, extra 1 from composite
[roll2] if sneak attack applies

Kris
[roll]1d20+3+1-2 to hit. I accomadated for his flaw
[roll3] extra damage is from composite

Seeing Whisper move closer, he would then take a move to be in front of him, and take out his guisarme.

NeverSleep
2011-04-20, 12:06 PM
Looks like kris missed[roll0]

Vonwalt
2011-04-20, 01:33 PM
Despite the advantage of surprise, Whisper's shot goes wide. Kris's shot, on the other hand, neatly skewers one of the rats, killing it instantly.

The rats turn, chittering nervously, and spit... fire? All four aim for Kris, being as he's slightly closer. Two globs of gelatinous fire splash to the ground harmlessly. The other two, however... ((I just realized I don't have your AC. In this case, it won't matter, because I rolled a 1, 2, 18, and 19, but that would be nice if you could put that up.)) Kris takes 5 points of fire damage as the burning liquid splashes over him and then dissipates.

NeverSleep
2011-04-20, 02:46 PM
Blake ac:

Mw. St. Leather +3
Flaw -1
Dex: +3

Ac=15

Saves:
Fort. 2
Ref. 6
Will. 2

Kris:

Mw. Chainshirt +4
Dex: +2

Ac= 16

Saves:
Fort. 5
Ref. 3
Will. 2

NeverSleep
2011-04-20, 03:31 PM
Kris:

Steps between the rats and Whisper creating a physical barrier

Attacks with reach after dropping the bow and drawing the guissarme, charges.
[roll0]
3 bab
3 str
1 mw weapon

Damage
[roll]2d4+6/roll]
2x strength for 2 handed

Whisper takes another shot as he manuevers to keep himself away from the rats, but still in range.

If they start to close to melee with Kris he wants to be ready to flank one in melee.

[roll1]
[roll2]

Vonwalt
2011-04-20, 03:53 PM
Just getting close to the creatures is enough to deliver another 2 points of fire damage to Kettle. Fortunately, his guisarme neatly bisects one of the rats, whilst Whisper's arrow stakes another to the ground. As they die, you can briefly see a coal-black skeleton, which quickly crumbles to dust.

The remaining two rats move adjacent to Kettle, and attempt to sink their flaming jaws into his legs, missing terribly.

NeverSleep
2011-04-20, 04:49 PM
Kris takes a five foot step getting them into reach range and attacks the one opposite of Whisper, giving hime the chance to flank the flaming beast.

If he hits this one and destroys it, he will turn his weapon towards the final one, and with a flourish, take a slash at it.
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Seeing the oppurtunity that kettle presents him, Blake moves into flaking position. Drops his bow, and draws his whispering blades.

Rapier: [roll4]
Dagger: [roll5]

Rapier: [roll6]
Dagger: [roll7]

Sneak attack damage: [roll8]

Vonwalt
2011-04-20, 05:16 PM
Kris swings his guisarme in a mighty arc, slaying the two remaining rats with a single blow. The town is once again silent. In the ruins of the very burned house, you can see three metal cages, the doors open and empty. The road out of town continues north, into the hills.

NeverSleep
2011-04-20, 06:35 PM
From Whisper to Kris...
I was going to get that last one....

From Kris to Whisper...
I know...

Well, we should probably be checking each building one by one. We'll specifically checking around the cages, also checking the documents in the houses. We'll save the weird church for last.

Vonwalt
2011-04-20, 07:01 PM
The burned out house has nothing within its charred confines but the metal cages. It seems likely that the flaming rats were within them at some point; there are traces of soot on the bars. The other three houses are nearly empty: they appear to have been stripped of their valuables, and even most of the furniture, but under a loose board (successful Search check) there is a piece of paper with "They're taking us north. the forest." scrawled on it. Within the tavern, things are much the same. No booze, no chairs, no nothing.

Now you stand before the stone church of Kharzihan, god of the dwarves. The doors are stone, and one appears to have been smashed off of its hinges. Inside, it is dark.

NeverSleep
2011-04-21, 10:40 AM
Whisper takes out an everburning torch, and gives it to Kettle.

He sneaks in, and signals to Kettle to move in when appropriate. Kettle knows to cover the torch with his cloak, then reveal it once Whisper has had a good chance to investigate the room in the shadows.

Vonwalt
2011-04-21, 10:54 AM
Whisper lurks into the room. It's gloomy, but there is a little light coming through the door. There are stone benches, carved into the rock of the church, and at the front an anvil-shaped podium/altar. Slumped against it is a humanoid figure. Before Whisper can get close enough to investigate, however, there is a loud thump, and the room suddenly becomes very bright. (Reflex save for Whisper)

Kettle can see clearly what happened. A small, winged creature has dropped from the ceiling behind Whisper, and shot forth a gout of molten rock from its hands.
Roll initiative.

NeverSleep
2011-04-21, 05:33 PM
(Reflex save for Whisper)

Kettle can see clearly what happened. A small, winged creature has dropped from the ceiling behind Whisper, and shot forth a gout of molten rock from its hands.
Roll initiative.

Reflex for Whisper:
[roll0]

Initiatives:
Whisper: [roll1]
Kettle: [roll2]

If one or both of us get to move first(and probably if "they" go first) Whisper will close to melee, flanking with Kettle, attacking with two weapons.

Whisper:
[roll3] Rapier, [roll4], Sneak, [roll5]
[roll6] Dagger, [roll7], Sneak, [roll8]

Kettle: Moving/charging if possible to trip the target

[roll9] factored in 3 str, 3 bab, +4 improved trip, +1 Mw weapon
+2 for charging?

If he's tripped he gets an attack on it again, as if he hadn't used his attack:
[roll10]
Damage [roll11]

Vonwalt
2011-04-21, 06:41 PM
Whisper narrowly dodges the molten blast, nevertheless taking 3 points of damage from the extreme heat. The creature then turns its claws on him, scratching him for 4 more damage. It nimbly dodges both Whisper's thrusts, and leaps over the guisarme, cackling madly. Seeing itself now surrounded, it claws, one at each of you. Kettle is palpably hit, taking 5 damage from its strike. Whisper avoids, and it is your round again.
(You currently stand flanking it.)

NeverSleep
2011-04-22, 12:58 AM
Whisper narrowly dodges the molten blast, nevertheless taking 3 points of damage from the extreme heat. The creature then turns its claws on him, scratching him for 4 more damage. It nimbly dodges both Whisper's thrusts, and leaps over the guisarme, cackling madly. Seeing itself now surrounded, it claws, one at each of you. Kettle is palpably hit, taking 5 damage from its strike. Whisper avoids, and it is your round again.
(You currently stand flanking it.)

Damage update:
Kettle/Kris 5, 2, 5
26/38

Whisper 3, 3
8/14

Whisper takes another shot with his two weapons, while Kettle attempts to put the cackling fiend on the floor.

What else can we tell about this thing just by looking at it?

[roll0] + which knowledge for Whisper?
[roll1] + which knowledge for Kettle?

[roll2] Rapier [roll3]
[roll4] dagger [roll5]

Sneak attacks
[roll6] [roll7]

Trip Attack
[roll8]
Subsequent attack [roll9]
Damage [roll10]

Vonwalt
2011-04-22, 02:25 AM
Here's how I want to do knowledge checks. Pick a knowledge skill, and I'll tell you what pertains based on that skill. Nature, arcana, and local will probably be best.

Whisper stabs the creature mightily while it is distracted by Kettle's efforts to swipe its feet out from under it. It falls to the ground, leaking a strange reddish glowing liquid from two puncture wounds, and begins chattering, arms raised above its head.
"I give, I give! No need to end it all, only doing my job, hey? Bozhemoi! I give, only doing my job, they told me to, no harm in enjoying your job, hey?"

NeverSleep
2011-04-22, 09:07 AM
Identify yourself.

Who told you to do this? Where have they gone?

You'd better answer if you want to live. I don't take being burned very likely.
While that's happening kris is holding his neck hostage with his weapon.

Intimidate: [roll]1d20+6[\roll] Kettle to intimidate
[roll]1d20+6[\roll] Whisper to assist

[roll]1d20+3[\roll] Nature, whisper
[roll]1d20+4[\roll] Nature, Kettle
[roll]1d20+3[\roll] local, Whisper
[roll]1d20+4[\roll] local, kettle
[roll]1d20+3[\roll] arcana, Whisper

Did you mean I should roll them? Or did you want to do that off thread?

Vonwalt
2011-04-22, 11:08 AM
((I'll roll your knowledge secretly, but you pick what one to use.))

The creature is a mephit, an elemental spirit that folklore says are common to this area. They haunt or guard a particular area, which they take their powers from. This one seems to be out of its element, being as how there is no vast fire source anywhere nearby. It speaks:
"Ognenyi. I'm Ognenyi! Heh. Heh hehehehehehehe- Ahem. Anyways, they kidnapped me! He frowns, and his eyes flare with light and fire for a moment. "Bozhemoi! Can you believe it? Me! They said they'd take me back home if I melted all the stone in this church. Unreasonable, I know, but I can't go all that way back, I'm too weak here. Away from the fire." It shivers. "They. Yes. They're the ones who killed that guy. They live in the forest somewhere, I think they took all the stuff back there." He points at the body, still slumped against the altar.

NeverSleep
2011-04-22, 12:04 PM
Are these creatures that are relitively trustworthy? Unlike for example: fey?

If they are, let's light a fire outside the church as an act of goodwill, and sit down to chat.

Otherwise, we'll keep asking questions in this state.

Do you know who that man was, or about why they killed him? Was he the contact from the city?

And who are "they"? Do you know why they are interested in this church or the north woods?

Please roll hidden diplomacy checks as appropriate, or intimidate. Whisper diplomacizes, Kettle intimidates. The other assists.

Vonwalt
2011-04-22, 02:46 PM
They're supposed to be trustworthy. After you light him the fire, he sits down in it gratefully, and his wounds quickly heal.
"So these guys, right? Small time thugs. Deserters from the Han's army, bandits, mercenaries, and that. But they have a new leader. Bad news. He captured me, and my rats, and forced us to do his bidding. He's got some powerful magics, that one. I mean, I was in my place of power! Fire all around, I shoulda been..." He lapses off into grumbling for a few moments. "Anyways, I think they just wanted us to destroy the town. They let the rats loose in the wooden buildings, and told me they'd take me home if I melted the church. The guy inside? probably got here just as they were finishing up the looting. I bet he was from that big city south of here." His voice changes timbre and tone, taking on a booming echo. "NOW. Ye hath FREED me from mine SERVITUDE, and for this I THANK ye. NORTH, into the forest, will ye find their CAVE. I must return to my DUTY." He stands, drawing himself up to his not-very-impressive four feet of height.

NeverSleep
2011-04-22, 03:41 PM
Hey, hold on there!

What exactly is your duty? Wouldn't you like to come with us and free yourself from that master? We would be able to aid you..

We still need to investigate the church and confirm the identity of the body.

Vonwalt
2011-04-22, 04:07 PM
"Look, it was a nice break, burning down the church and all. And I'd be much obliged if you defeated that wizard. But you already broke the hold he had over me. His magic bound me to the church, but the'd have needed stronger magic than that to bind me to a task in the face of that kind of pain. I really must return to my duty, guarding the fires at Kholat." He gestures vaguely towards the mountains northwest of here.
"I really can't stay. But I can give you this."
He does something really odd with i=his arm, and when he's done, four small stone flasks of alchemist's fire lie on the ground before you.
"Now attempt to delay my RETURN no longer, MORTALS. I have given you all the aid I CAN. But I must return, to answer to FORCES beyond your ken."

Let him go, or attempt to stop him from leaving?

NeverSleep
2011-04-24, 01:19 AM
I need to roll knowledges on this one.
I want to know if this area he refers to would be a place where he would need to be.

Knowledge local: 1+3 - Whisper
Knowledge local: +1 int Kettle

Knowledge Survival(knowing the area) Kettle: +8

I also need to know if this odd change of speech patterns could be a sign that something is wrong/magic?

General knowledge, knowledge religion, and knowledge arcana. All untrained for both characters.

+3 int and +1int

Also, is he telling the truth?

Sense motive(I'll let you roll that one too, +5 for Whisper, +1 for Kettle.

Also, would any adventurer do better to remove a creature like this? Is there a plus side to letting this one go, or would most with the ability to destroy it do so?

Vonwalt
2011-04-24, 01:49 AM
In order:
The area he refers to is a volcanic mountain in the mountains near Trollheim, which is slightly northwest of your location. Seeing as how he is a creature composed of stone and fire, that seems like a reasonable place for him to be.

His change of speech pattern, as far as you can tell, is an attempt on his part to appear more like the elemental spirit he is. Sort of like the wizard of Oz. (Nothing magical about it.)

He is indeed (As far as you know) telling the truth. Since you don't have magical training, it's not 100%, but you know vaguely that it is more difficult to mind control people into acting against their well being.

Well, there's not particularly a plus side to letting it go, at least for you right now. (Except the alchemist's fire he left.) On the other hand, except in this instance, you've never heard of one attacking unprovoked. They are nature spirits, connected with a specific land feature, and they defend that area against egregious harm. (F'instance, one in a forest won't stop you from cutting down a few trees, but it might try and stop you from burning down a forest.) So most adventurers would avoid harming them.

NeverSleep
2011-04-24, 03:22 PM
We'll let him go then, bidding a thankful farewell.

We will move on to investigate the church and corpse.

Whisper drinks a cure light wounds first [roll0]

Vonwalt
2011-04-24, 05:11 PM
The inside of the church is dark, but enough light seeps in that you can make out the inside. Several rows of benches on either side of an aisle. At the end, on a raised platform, is the anvil-shaped podium or altar. One of the benches appears to have been melted and deformed by extreme heat.
The corpse is a dwarf: Short, stocky, and bearded. His head had been smashed in by a large object. he has only clothes, no gear or weapons, but you can see loops on his belt where items must have previously hung.

NeverSleep
2011-04-24, 06:58 PM
I'll take note of his exact description, and maybe find some personal belonging of his that could be used as an identifier. Ring, hat, unique boots, ring finger... whatever!

Did the posting require that I follow up on the troubles? Or was it only to check on the town and the one they sent?

I went back and checked... looks like I need to stop it.

Seems like I'll be heading to the north woods, while I have the jump on them. Kettle feels especially bad about not being able to return the body asap.

He insists that we lay the body in a noble posture within the church with a note attached apologizing for not being able to dispose of the body properly.

We head outside and look for tracks or a trail heading in the indicated direction.

Would you roll survival for Kettle please?

Vonwalt
2011-04-24, 07:08 PM
The dwarf has a distinctive tattoo on his face- a bar across the nose, with a crescent moon on each cheek.

There are faded tracks, maybe a day or two old, heading northward along the path into the forest. It looks like there were quite a few humanoids, as well as a pair of wagons.
By the way, I don't know if you got this, but the mephit gave you some treasure. (Four units of alchemists fire.)

NeverSleep
2011-04-24, 07:32 PM
Yup, got it, I guess its just in a mental note right this second. Should I add it to the other thread about possessions?

This track should be pretty easy to follow, we'll put a hustle on it, trying to get close to them asap.

Vonwalt
2011-04-24, 07:41 PM
You hustle through the forest for about an hour, before coming to a fork in the road. Well, fork is really too strong a word; The road continues, but the tracks you've been following crash off through the brush to the left. It's extremely easy to follow now, as the wagons have flattened a wide trail. You continue north and west into the forest for a while, until you can hear distant voices.
Nothing concrete, as of yet. The tracks slope off to one side of a small rise.
That'd be nice.

NeverSleep
2011-04-24, 09:36 PM
We'll start sneaking in, what kind of cover is nearby?

If there's forest above and below their wagon trail, we'd prefer the high path. I'm sure they're having a difficult time moving through this terrain as well.

Making sure to make listen checks along the way, and watching for rear guard.

I added that to the equipment list. It appears I forgot to write a few things down, I'll recheck my list later on.

Vonwalt
2011-04-25, 02:41 PM
There's forest above and below the trail. Climbing up it next to the path, you begin to hear a conversation:
"...Telling you, we're on guard! What if they send another man after us?"
"Boss says we're well out of that by now. Quit lazing around and help get the last of the stuff inside."
Hiding just below the crest of the hill you see three figures- two humans and a bugbear- hauling pieces of furniture towards a tunnel entrance in the side of another hill. Their backs are to you.

NeverSleep
2011-04-25, 09:26 PM
We'll be careful to remain very hidden.

Are they all heading into the cave, or are some staying out to keep guard?

We'll wait to see, if it isn't clear yet.

Vonwalt
2011-04-25, 10:31 PM
All three of the foes enter the cave, dragging various carved wooden objects.
Before you lies the cave mouth and the empty wagon. No sign of any animal used to pul it, however.

NeverSleep
2011-04-26, 02:14 PM
I'm wondering how likely it is that this is the only entrance to the cave...do you want to roll survival and knowledge general for that please, we will move closer to the mouth of the cave to peak inside. still keeping as out of sight as possible.
Ooc.
thinking about smoking them out/blocking the entrance with that last question.

Vonwalt
2011-04-26, 03:06 PM
It seems doubtful that this would be the only entrance. It looks as if the cave was dug, not naturally formed (although an attempt to camouflage it has been made); and people tend to want escape routes. Plus, you have no idea how large the cave system is.

Getting a little closer down near the cave mouth, you can see a short passageway, that ends in a... Trapdoor? It's hard to tell, but some kind of downward exit. The three workers disappear down it.

NeverSleep
2011-04-26, 03:13 PM
We'll be in a bit of a hustle trying to keep up, but be quiet now.

How we'll lit is the cave?

We'll try to open the hatch quietly if we hear them moving away from it.

Prepared for ranged combat as we drop down.

Vonwalt
2011-04-26, 03:46 PM
The cave mouth is fairly dark, but once you open the trapdoor, there is light from within: Small dishes of some flammable substance, set in alcoves in the walls. There is no sign of the three men who went before. Ahead lies a short passage with four doors: Two to the left, one to the right, and one straight ahead.

NeverSleep
2011-04-26, 03:58 PM
Kettle makes a move, bolting into the first door on the right, his dwarven waraxe at the ready. Whisper follows, both weapons drawn as well. He is ready to shut the first door behind them if there is no conflict within.

Vonwalt
2011-04-26, 04:42 PM
They rush at the door, only to find it... Locked. Your clattering, too, appears to have alerted someone somewhere else in the complex. From the first door on the left, you hear voices.
"Did anyone else hear that?"
"Hear what? It was probably just one of the boys."
"Well, I heard something strange. I'm going to go check it out."

NeverSleep
2011-04-26, 05:59 PM
Get prepared on both sides of the door.

Attack first, questions later.

Readied action for an attack with the dwarven war-axe, Kettle.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Readied action for attacking with both of his melee weapons, Whisper
[roll2] to hit
[roll3] to hit

[roll4]
[roll5]

Sneak attacks
[roll6]
[roll7]

NeverSleep
2011-04-26, 08:23 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rolling to confirm crits.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Damages?

Vonwalt
2011-04-26, 11:40 PM
The door opens, and you mercilessly attack the man who steps out. (It's one of the two men who were above.) He goes down with a quiet thump. The dagger spills from his hand and clanks loudly on the floor.
"Istvan? Istvan!"
You hear the clatter of feet rushing towards the door.
Roll initiative.

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 12:05 AM
[roll0] Whisper
[roll1] Kettle

Whisper yelling:

I don't want to have to do that again, someone offer me some answers, and drop your weapons!!!

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 12:30 AM
Muahahahahahahahahahaaaaa
"You heard the nice man, boys. Drop your weapons. Heheh. Ahaha."
The voice comes from behind you. The previously locked door has opened to reveal a suave elven man wearing tattered silk garments. His hair is matted, and one hand is covered in horrible burns. He reaches out with the burned hand and grasps Kettle, who takes 6 fire damage as the withered husk bursts into flame.

Whisper's turn.

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 08:38 AM
Whisper turns toward the new threat and manuvers slightly(5foot, tumble check) to put it between him and Kettle.

"I wish I didn't have to do this before you had a chance to beg for mercy"

[roll0]
[roll1]
Both should receive +2 from flanking I think
And an additional +1, my str is higher than I thought

[roll2] +1 my str is actually plus 2
[roll3]

Sneak

[roll4]
[roll5]

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 12:56 PM
Your first attack strikes home, while the other glances off some kind of invisible shield. Your foe smiles, revealing teeth that have been filed into points.

The door at the end of the hallway bursts open, and two hobgoblins burst out. One carries a two-handed sword, the other, a large sickle.
from behind Kettle, the bugbear and the human come through the door. They both attempt to hit Kettle with their weapons- a morningstar and a dagger respectively- but only the bugbear connects, dealing 8 points of damage with a blow to the shoulder.

Kettle's turn.

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 02:06 PM
Raaaaaaaaaaaaage!

Kettle widens his stance and let's out a ferocious feral roar.

+4str
+4con
(+6 hp)

He power attacks the fearsome beast in front o him, and swings his axe in a way where he'd be able to "follow up" were he to down this foe.

[roll0]-3 power attack +2flanking(not added yet)
[roll1] +3 power attack(not added yet)

If a cleave
[roll2] -3 power attack, flanking?
[roll3] +3 power attack

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 02:17 PM
Filled with fury, Kettle takes a mighty swing at the bugbear, who nimbly dodges past the swing. The deranged elf cackles again and reaches out with his withered hand towards Whisper, to no apparent effect. He then takes a step towards the two hobgoblins at the end of the hallway.

Whisper

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 02:41 PM
Having an issue thinking about the spacing.

Does it look like this?
_______d_____
( )
( )
( )
( )
D. D
( )
( B H )
( K )
D. H D
( W )
( )
( )
( )

LOL at myself.

Either way, if he can flank someone easily without getting into the thick of it...
[roll0] +2 flank
[roll1] +2 flank

Sneak
[roll2]
[roll3]

Otherwise, he'll get back into ranged.

[roll4] to hit
[roll5] damage

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 02:44 PM
Forgot weapon damages.

[roll0] rapier
[roll1] dagger

Formatting didn't work out in my favor up there!

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 03:09 PM
That's about right. after this turn, it looks like this:
___D_____D____
___Wh_________D
___KHE________
___DH_________

Whisper takes a step behind the bugbear and delivers a precision stab to its spine, killing it instantly. THe human nearby cries out, and attempts to return the favor, but to no effect. The two hobgoblins close with Kettle, and 2 natural ones. Wat. in a display of incredible clumsiness, hit each other with their respective weapons.

Kettle

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 03:44 PM
Kettle roars and doubles back on his fire weilding opponent.

Again attacking with all of his might.

[roll0] -3 power attack +2 if still flanked
[roll1] damage

Cleave
[roll2] -3 power attack
[roll3] damage

If possible he takes a step to block the enemies path towards Whisper.

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 04:24 PM
The wizard cries out in pain as Kettle cuts a wide slash across his chest; however, he does not yet fall. He grits his teeth, takes a step back, and shoots a gigantic cloud of flame into the hallway, scorching friends and foes alike.
DC 15 Reflex saves for half damage, 14 fire damage on a failed save. The human and the sword wielding hobgoblin go down, the sickle holding hobgoblin swaying, just barely on his feet.

Whisper, assuming he's still conscious.

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 05:03 PM
Whisper [roll0]
Kettle [roll1]

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 05:13 PM
Whisper cries out in pain, falling unconscious ( I think he's around -6?).
The one remaining hobgoblin stares in shock, turns, and says "Whadya do that for, boss?" before collapsing as he attempts to flee.
Kettle's turn

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 06:20 PM
He was at 11, so -3 currently if I'm not mistaken.

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 07:21 PM
Still Ragin'

[roll0] -3 Power attack
[roll1] - 3 power attack - Cleave

[roll2]
[roll3]

He steps in trying to make it so he can attack as many people as possible.

His primary target being the wizard-guy

NeverSleep
2011-04-27, 07:28 PM
Also:

Kettle is rockin' 10 hp.
Whisper at -3

Whisper attempts to stabilize on his turn(unless you have alternate rules or something...)

[roll0] I'll take high. If roll is 90+ he stabilizes.

Vonwalt
2011-04-27, 10:43 PM
And the wizard goes down! your mighty blow sends him falling to the ground, his blood spraying out in an arc. for the moment, the hall quiets. the situation remains largely the same as before, except for the pile of bodies strewn around your area.

NeverSleep
2011-04-28, 07:51 AM
*Kettle looks around and sees nothing more of import to smash*

He breaths heavily and releases his rage... thinking little of his home as he does.

He turns to his fallen compatriot, and hurriedly takes one of their healing potions and administers it to him.

[roll0]

Hopefully that will wake him up.

Are any of the people here still conscious? We need someone to question. The wizard seems a fine choice if everyone is down. We'll remove his spell component pouch and spell book from his person hastily, as well as any weapons or unusual items, essentially strip searching him, before applying a healing potion.

[roll1]

First order of business, tying him up, threatening his life in the process.

Vonwalt
2011-04-28, 12:54 PM
You swiftly revive both Whisper and the wizard, after relieving him of his spell components- a tiny bag filled with the bones of various creatures- and binding his hands. (He doesn't appear to have a spellbook on him.)
"Heh. Heheh. I will tell you nothing. Just so you know."

NeverSleep
2011-04-28, 01:44 PM
Is taking 20 on intimidate possible? We've got plent of time....:smallmad:

We'll start by trying to get him to share about what else is in the complex. If he doesn't share, subdual damage fists, etc...

We'll drag all the bodies into the room that had a lock and lock ourselves in for now.

Also, what is on the bodies?

Vonwalt
2011-04-28, 02:26 PM
indeed it is. After about twenty minutes of alternately threatening, cajoling, and pleading, he gives in to your efforts and tells you his purpose.
"Heh. Many years ago, aahahaa, I made... a poor decision. I needed help to learn the art, heh, and so I made a bargain with a man. Heh. I would owe him a... favor. All I have done here is to repay him. He asked me to create havoc. And that is, aha, what I have done." He coughs a little, and a small wisp of smoke comes from his mouth.
"The townsfolk are downstairs in the cells. Vold was the man's name. Now let me die in peace."
He coughs again.

The various dead bandits have between them twenty gold pieces, crappy armor, and an assortment of daggers and other weapons. The room you are in appears to be some sort of lab or study for the wizard.

NeverSleep
2011-04-28, 03:53 PM
"Not so fast."

"Are there any other hostile forces in this complex? Who is Void? Do you know what he's after?"

"And last of all, your life may not need be forfit. What do you have to live for? What do you have to die for?

Vonwalt
2011-04-28, 04:07 PM
"Not Void. Vold. He lives in Cragheim, or did when I met him. You slew all my force I had here."
There are pronounced wisps of smoke emerging from his mouth with every breath.
"I will die whether you wish it or not. Already the fire consumes me. All I ask of you is mercy."
His eyes are beginning to glow an orange color that reminds you of fire.

NeverSleep
2011-04-28, 06:24 PM
Very well then.

Coup de gras

We'll extensivly search the rooms 1 by one before we get to the room with the villagers.

Vonwalt
2011-04-28, 06:44 PM
A moment after you slit his throat, his body crumbles into ash, as if heated intensely from the inside. THe rooms on this floor hold little of interest. Behind door #1 is a large store-room filled with food and goods, as well as the loot from Vindelmark. If you want any food or low quality alcohol, here's the place to get it.
Door #2 reveals a similar store-room, this one mostly empty. A few scraps of armor and a large bundle of javelins, and several dozen arrows.
Behind door #3 is a large, well-lit room, with a table and chairs set up in the centre. To the left is a door which leads to a dormitory area with several beds.
To the right is a partially walled-off kitchen area, with a smokeless fire and utensils of various kinds.
Straight ahead, across the dining room, lie stairs downward.
The wizard's room, however, holds many exciting and interesting things:
A small bag containing 200 gold, several bronze figurines representing the gods of the dwarves, an ornate and unsettling dagger, a large book bound in leather and filled with incomprehensible runes, and 7 small vials- three of a bluish liquid, four of clear and constantly bubbling fluid. There is also a small bed, and a desk on which most of these items rested.

NeverSleep
2011-04-29, 07:53 AM
We'll take everything deemed valuable along with the bodies, armor scraps etc and lock them into the wizards room.

Then we enter the last door assumed to have the people inside.

Edit: I'm assuming we found the key to the room somewhere.
Also, I'm not taking town essential furniture or food etc....

Vonwalt
2011-04-29, 10:40 AM
You descend the stairs to find a large room, blocked off by a set of metal bars. (You did indeed find the key.)
"Hello? Who's there?"
Inside are somewhere around 25 people, human and dwarf.

NeverSleep
2011-04-29, 11:59 AM
How much would it cost to set-up a guards there? It might be cool to set ourselves up as town protectors/rulers(?) Is theree anything that would stop us from wanting to do that?

Hello, who is in charge here? We're here to help.

Vonwalt
2011-04-29, 12:16 PM
Not really... In theory, they're under the protection of the lord of Vormsk (The large city you started in). Normally, there'd be guards in the town sent by him, but they've been called away by war to the west. So right now, not much. When they come back, though...
"I am."
An old man, tall and thickly bearded, steps forward. His left arm is in a sling.
"My name is Daven. Would you mind opening this cage?"

NeverSleep
2011-04-29, 02:12 PM
"I would be happy to do that Daven, please tell me about how you all got here"

I'm waiting to open the gate until I'm more certain they are from the village and that their minds are still intact.

"Tell me about your captors. Have you heard the leader's name?

Vonwalt
2011-04-29, 02:32 PM
"They attacked at night. We were asleep, and they knocked us unconscious and took us here. Those few who resisted..."
He waves his broken arm slightly. Now that you can see better, it appears that the folk inside the cage are mostly women, children, and old men.
"I heard him referred to as 'Elexiel' or some such elven nonsense. Other than that, common brigands. We could have taken them, had they not surprised us."

NeverSleep
2011-04-29, 03:57 PM
We let them out, and assuming they are eager to get back to the town to rebuild, we escort them back.

We'll return afterwords to pick up the gear locked in the mage's quarters, and to do a full thurough full inspection.

The Budget Brothers have a new base of operations!

Vonwalt
2011-04-29, 06:14 PM
They gladly accept your help, and after a few hours of moving things back and forth with the carts, are well on their way to being an actual town again.

Your base, once you clear out the bodies, is surprisingly nice. Two store-rooms, a bed area, the wizard's lab (Mostly empty), and a kitchen/dining room. Also a dungeon.

While investigating the rooms you find little of interest. Until you turn to the wizard's desk. Within are two letters, one unopened and the other already read. The opened one is short and to the point:

Apprentices:
When we met, you agreed to perform a service for me in exchange for my tutelage. The time to perform that service has come. Go forth and bleed this miserable country. In whatever way you see fit, destroy and undermine the people of Markov.
-Vold

NeverSleep
2011-04-30, 01:55 AM
OOOOOooooooooooh..... Definetly on to the unopened one.

How far away from the main town is this base?

Vonwalt
2011-04-30, 02:19 AM
About two days by foot, or 7 or 8 hours by horse (Or other riding animal)

The second letter reads thusly:
Apprentices-
You have done well thus far, but now I require your presence in Vormsk. (Which is the largish city you started in.) The game has changed. Ones I once thought allies have betrayed me and mine, and we must adjust for the new conditions. Meet me at the sign of the Iron Boar a week hence.
-Vold

The letter does not appear to have a date on it.

You just gained a level! feel free to level both your mans up to level four.

NeverSleep
2011-04-30, 12:24 PM
DING!!!

I'll update the characters in the ooc.

We'll try to find a way to hide the "base" with foliage or some-such. Leaving a fake note in case Vold shows up.

"We're headed to Vormsk, will make contact there". Will be the just of the note. We'll leave it in a conspicuous place in the entryway.

Then head back to Vormsk if it is during the morning still after we have done those things.

Vonwalt
2011-04-30, 05:58 PM
All of those are easily accomplished. You camouflage the entrance with some pine branches, write a quick note using the wizard's supplies, and set off towards Vormsk. You are joined by a young man, perhaps 13 years of age, who has been sent by the villagers. After a day and a half or so, you find yourself at the city, which looks much the same as you left it.

NeverSleep
2011-04-30, 08:14 PM
We'll make our way towards the man who gave us the last mission, and ask who to report to. We'll also mention that a portion of our report is of dire local security concern, and whomever he deems necessary should be present.

P.s. my forgery skill should be put to use for that note. Take ten? +3 is my mod. Kettle will try to assist.

We'll also be posting (wherever things like this are posted) an adventurers guild sign-up. Free room and board for the first 10 to sign up. Name, race, contact info, and special talent will be the info we're looking for. Will be advertising help in missions, comradry, training, special assignments, etc...

Vonwalt
2011-04-30, 08:57 PM
You find yourself once again in the tent of the scholarly dwarf. after hearing your tale, his eyes widen, even more so after you show him the two letters.
"Ordinarily, we'd take news of this to the lord of Vormsk, but Lord Petrovic is away with his troops, so we must speak with the castellan, his uncle. I will take you to see him as soon as I am finished here."
Once you bring up the matter of forming some sort of adventurer's guild, he smiles and says
"A capital idea, hey? Krinsky! Help these men make some postings, and put them up on the boards. Meet me back here in a few hours, and I'll take you to see the castellan."

NeverSleep
2011-04-30, 09:33 PM
"Being as the letters refer to double agents as it were, we should be careful whom we bring this up to, understand?

Please tell me more about the the castellan.

Also, what do you know of the Iron Boar?"

Vonwalt
2011-05-01, 03:26 AM
"Well, Karst Petrovic is the Lord here, but he's off fighting, so he left his uncle to manage the business of the city. He's a good dwarf, and a fine ruler. Name's Mors. As to the Iron Boar, it's a tavern and inn in town. You can find it in the street of swords. Not much to say, other than that. It doesn't attract a particularly unsavory clientele or anything."

NeverSleep
2011-05-01, 11:21 AM
Very well then, we'll meet you in a few hours to take this information to him.

Vonwalt
2011-05-01, 02:38 PM
Got anything you want to do in between? Visit the town, etc.? if not, let's just skip ahead to the meeting.

NeverSleep
2011-05-01, 11:02 PM
We can go ahead and skip ahead to the meeting.

Vonwalt
2011-05-01, 11:34 PM
After a few hours of following Krinsky around and drafting a poster, which he subsequently nails up to several places in the city, you meet back up with the dwarf, who takes you into the town proper, and then into the castle itself. It is an ancient stone building, the roof in many places just barely above your heads. "Built for dwarves."
your guide explains.
You pass several sets of guards- all old, you notice- before arriving in a large room. At one end is a stone chair, carved directly from the floor, and next to it is a large wooden chair. In the chair sits a one-eyed dwarf draped in a bearskin cloak. He looks up as you approach.
"Ah. The heroes vith the troubling news. Vot is it hyu come to tell me?"

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 12:03 AM
Whisper explains the story about the town they saved, the enemies vanquished, and the notes that were found.

"Have you ever heard the name Vold before?

Have you noticed anything strange at or about the Iron Boar lately?"

Vonwalt
2011-05-02, 01:03 AM
"Vold... I can't say I have. Nor can I say I've seen anything strange at the Iron Boar, although I don't visit there myself much. I vill place a watch on the inn, however." He stares at you with his single eye.
"I put it on hyu to solve this mystery, and stop votever this 'Vold' has in store. You may take rooms vithin the castle for the night."

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 07:32 AM
Would something of this sort of import be worth more assistance than the 50 gold we received upon saving a hamlet of the kingdom?

Or perhaps if we are successful you would promise us favor to our upstart adventurers guild?

[roll0] diplomacy (I'm assuming I'll put 2 ranks in this level)
To make sure I don't offend, but get some assistance with this largley important task.

Vonwalt
2011-05-02, 09:55 AM
"Yes, yes, of course." He waves a hand, and a decrepit old serving man brings him a piece of paper, which he promptly signs and hands to Whisper.

The bearer does all at my bidding. Give him and his compatriots every aid they require.
Mors Kasparov Balgossen Petrovic.
"Now go. Although this news is grave, I have business yet to attend."

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 10:58 AM
OOC:
Awesome

I'll ask the dwarf in charge of assignments to give me the next 10 recruits for 1 months giving them their 50 gold at the end of their service with me.

I'll also ask him to give me 3 of his most trusted adventurers at their usual price for the same amount of time.

Asking them to report to me asap, I'll be at a bar/pub near the Iron Boar for the next few days.

Vonwalt
2011-05-02, 11:41 AM
A few doors down from the Iron Boar, you find a small tavern called the King's draft. Despite the lofty name, it is nothing but a tiny, dingy watering hole, but it is here that you wait. The next day, several people arrive to meet with you:
An assortment of young boys and old men, armed with rusty weapons and with the hunger for glory in their eyes, as well as three more impressive figures.
A kharzite ice witch, her skin covered in strange spiraling tattoos and a ceremonial sword across her back; A dwarf, armored in battered but functional plate and wielding a longhandled axe; and a rock troll, lesser in stature and power than the true trolls of the north, but nevertheless perfectly capable of incredible feats of strength. Your ragtag band stands before you, awaiting your orders.

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Blake Shade, and this is Kettle Firesturn.

Like you all, we answered the call of Vormsk eagerly wanting adventure, fame, wealth, and glory.

It is of great importance that we defend our nation and lands against those who would do us harm.

This doesn't always mean head on conflict-at-arms with a known enemy. Today I'm here to tell you that we don't currently know who the enemy is. We know they are in our midst, and that we must root them out, as they seek to do us harm.

I will be able to share more with you as time goes on, but for now, we will be moving to the first phase of our defense strategy.

You ten(the non-adventurers) are information gathering at a nearby tavern called the Iron Boar. There should be three of you in there at all times. You are to drink and carry-on with every patron. You need to find out what there story is, where they came from, business in Vormsk, et cetera. Take written notes and deliver them to myself or Kettle every 4 hours.

If you find out or suspect that any of them are magic users we must be notified immediatly.

Same goes for any mention of the name "Vold".

I trust you to organize shifts on your own.

We shall be known as "The Call of Vormsk"

Currently your association with us should be confidential. If you need to confirm the identity of a member of the Call of Vormsk, you should hale them with two vertical fingers, symbolizing the V of Vormsk. If they are indeed a member, they will respond with a curved hand, the C of Call.

After this meeting, you should immediatly start your observations at the Iron Boar.

You three will need to meet with us after these men are dismissed for you assignments.

Any questions?

Also, we offer upgrades to their equipments from the men we killed in our base.

Vonwalt
2011-05-02, 01:33 PM
They nod, and go about their business. A few of the older men take various gear from the store you got from the bandits/

Two days pass without event. Early on the third day, you receive a note that claims several strange folk- Elves out of Domu, Uthulians, Wellgolunders- all arriving at different times, and all sitting at the same corner table. Several of them have teeth filed into points.

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 02:01 PM
For the past few days, we've been doing some training and practice with the men during their off-times from the post. We should have an idea about who's good at what, and if anyone has special talents.

We've also filled the three adventurers in on what was really happening, swearing secrecy to their post of course. They are the first officers of the Call of Vormsk. The front liners are known as earpieces.

Upon hearing this news, we spring the plan we've been working on into action.

Whisper goes to the bartender and asks if he can run a Shell Game, and demonstrates the rules for the bartender.

While he is distracted Kettle will start a loud dispute with the rock troll and Dwarf. It is about who is stronger. They eventually decide to drink next to the table of sharp teethed people.

The witch is on watch outside of the tavern and has a messenger ready to send for the remaining men who are together nearby and at the ready with arms. If there is trouble, she sends the messenger, and the men will be there in about 30-45 seconds.

Whisper invites one of the shap-teeth to a shell game.

Moments later...

Kettle eggs them on with a challenge of his own. Arm-wrestling.

Both saying stuff like -"its early in the morning, did you have something important to do?"

Vonwalt
2011-05-02, 02:12 PM
"We have no interest in such things."
says one of the sharp-toothed men.
"We're here on important business, now leave us alone."
"Klaus... perhaps we should retire to our rooms?" one of the others speaks.
"No. We remain here. Now leave us alone."
Klaus waves irritably at you, as if flicking away a fly.

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 04:01 PM
Ooc:
How many of them are there? Are they wearing armors or robes etc?

I'm going to call in the rest of the troops into the bar area, and prep them to start grappeling the group(on the command of course) as much as possible(as the've been told already). Trying to deal subdual as much as possible.

Lethal only if it elevates to that, I.e. if they use lethal force on us, or a commander does as well.

Whisper goes back to the bar-tender and shows him the writ from the boss-man(in secret). Says "I'm afraid it might get rough in a few minutes. it is of dire importance to the security of Vormsk that our operation goes well. We will take care of your establishment should damages occur. Any aid or information you can provide would be welcome."

Vonwalt
2011-05-02, 04:13 PM
There are six of them, at least one of whom is openly armed. (Specifically, Klaus.) They all wear heavy cloaks, so it's pretty hard to tell beyond that. One of the elves might be wearing chain- there's a slight metallic rustle as he shifts uncomfortably in his chair.

You bring in your men and warn the barkeep, a stout old man whose eyes widen at the sight of the note. He surreptitiously sidles towards the other end of the bar, as far away from you as possible.

The table sitters, by now the only patrons except for you and a lone drunk at the other end of the room, huddle closer together. Klaus stares suspiciously at the mass of people who suddenly filed in, all apparently intent on getting some drinks.
Those are your guys, just FYI. It seemed confusing when I read it back, so I thought I'd clarify.

NeverSleep
2011-05-02, 10:30 PM
We'll let the moment set for a minute. The men order their mugs of ale, and most likely fumble over whether to pay or not, whether to look at the table or not, and where to sit, and if to sit together.

Sensing that the element of suprise is lost, Whisper speaks up.

"Were you expecting two more?"

Vonwalt
2011-05-03, 12:34 AM
"Why should we tell you?" Klaus growls, and stands up slowly. "Seems to me you're a little nosy for the common fools around these parts. Maybe we should teach you not to meddle in things that don't concern you- eh, gentlemen?" His cronies nod silent agreement, and they slowly begin to stand. Klaus drops one hand to grip the hilt of his sword.

NeverSleep
2011-05-03, 11:37 AM
The men drop their fascade, and all face the table of men.

The witch steps in from outside, intent on them.

Kettle and his table also stand...

Kettle:
It will be far less deadly for you if you tell us more about Vold, and leave your weapons on the table.

Intimidate:[roll0]
The men all (roll) to assist, as well as the heroes, so... however you want to do that is fine.
Whisper [roll1] to assist, drops cloak revealing his armor and weapons.

Vonwalt
2011-05-03, 02:05 PM
"Is that supposed to impress me?" Klaus laughs, a slow sarcastic chuckle. Then he strikes, lightning quick, stabbing his sword into Whisper's armor to no effect. Roll initiative. I'm going to control the NPCs. if you want them to do something specific, make sure and tell me.

NeverSleep
2011-05-03, 02:34 PM
[roll0] whisper

[roll1] kettle

[roll2] base roll, 3 heroes

[roll3] base roll 10 men

NeverSleep
2011-05-03, 02:36 PM
10 men strategy is grapple about 3-1 on each person if possible. Targeting spellcaster types first.

3 heroes know what they do best, and are trusted to make good decisions.

Vonwalt
2011-05-03, 02:54 PM
Klaus wins initiative, and tries a hacking downward blow at Kettle, striking him mightily for 11 damage.

Kettle's turn

NeverSleep
2011-05-03, 05:23 PM
Raaaaage!

Kettle manuevers slightly so that he may threaten as many guys as possible while flanking with Whisper, then attempts to trip Klaus.

[roll0] 4 bab, 4 trip feat, 5 str(modded from rage), 1 mw weapon, 2 for flanking with Whisper.

If he successfully trips, he attacks at full power attack

[roll1] 5 str, 1 mw, 2 flanking, 2 attacking a prone target
Damage: [roll2] 4 power attack, 7 1.5 str mod,

Please let me know if you need a cleave roll for him.

NeverSleep
2011-05-03, 05:30 PM
Just double checked the tripping rules, that first attack is a touch attack, then its an opposed str or dex(if defenders is stronger) check.

[roll0] str check

Vonwalt
2011-05-03, 06:07 PM
With a masterful stroke, Kettle scythes the legs out from under Klaus and knocks him down, following it up with a crushing blow to the ribs. Klaus's eyes unfocus for a moment, and blood is spilling from his mouth where he's bit his tongue, but he's not yet slain.

The remainder of his table take up their actions: two moving to either side of Kettle, drawing concealed swords, and two stepping back fire bolts of magical energy from their hands. Kettle, beset by all manner of blows, takes a mere 3 damage from a magical missile of some kind, as he successfully fends off all but one of his attackers. The other sorcerer fires his bolt at one of your ragtag band, knocking him unconscious.

Whisper, and then the mooks on your team.

NeverSleep
2011-05-04, 09:05 AM
Whisper draws dual daggers, taking two swings at the prone Klaus.

3 bab, 3 finesse, 4 prone, 1 mw, 1 weapon focus
[roll1]

Sneak attacks
[roll]2d6+
2d6+

Then he turns to face the remaining opponents.

The mob rushes the group, mostly grouping up on whomever is on the fringe of the group to grapple.

Touch attack base rolls
1[roll2]
2[roll3]
3[roll4]
4[roll5]
5[roll6]
6[roll7]
7[roll8]
8[roll9]
9[roll10]
10[roll11]

Str follow up rolls
1[roll12]
2[roll13]
3[roll14]
4[roll15]
5[roll16]
6[roll17]
7[roll18]
8[roll19]
9[roll20]
10[roll21]

NeverSleep
2011-05-04, 09:23 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Sneak attack rolls didn't take.

Also, the two dagger attacks should have -2 each for two weapon fighting and +2 for flanking. I didn't roll damage.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Vonwalt
2011-05-04, 12:37 PM
Whisper drives his twin daggers into Klaus's stomach, quite literally kicking him while he's down. Klaus hacks and coughs, but remains conscious. meanwhile, your swarm of friends mobs the two other men. One of them finds his arms and legs held, while the other throws off the efforts of your minions.

The ice witch fires a bolt of (What else?) ice at one of the opposing magic-users, striking him mightily. Your dwarven ally takes his hammer to the face of the grappled enemy, managing to avoid hitting the many grappling parties. The troll pulls a small hammer from somewhere on its person, and hurls it across the room, putting a large dent in the timber wall.

The drunk continues to drink, apparently oblivious to the melee happening around him.

Klaus groans, and for a moment his eyes dim. Then they burst into flame, and he rises from the ground in a whirlwind of sword. He cuts Whisper across the chest for 8 damage, Kettle for 6 damage, fells two of your minions outright, and knocks the Dwarf unconscious with a blow from his sword.

Kettle's turn.
Remaining on either side: Klaus (Grievously wounded) Two wizardly gentlemen, two swordsmen (one grappled and bleeding heavily). Your team: 7 remaining peasants (1 unconscious, two most likely dead) the dwarf (unconscious but not in danger) the witch and the troll.
In case you were wondering what happened to the sixth guy I claimed was at the table, that was a lie. A filthy, no-good lie.

NeverSleep
2011-05-04, 01:53 PM
OOC
whaaaa!? I don't suppose his geting up provoked aoo's huh? Nice move Santa...

Kettle sees the need to destroy that wildcard, and takes a big swing with his guisarme, a growl escapes his throat.

[roll0] 5 str, 2 flank, 1 mw

[roll1] 7 strx1.5, 4 power attack

Cleave?
[roll2] power attacked as above
[roll3] as above

Vonwalt
2011-05-04, 03:05 PM
Apparently Klaus's efforts to kill you have left him wide open to your attack. With a single blow,Kettle fells him, and scythes through into the wounded swordsman, killing him as well.

The remaining swordsman pulls a similar manouvre, smashing one of your peasants in the face and kicking another to the ground. both now lie unconscious. The two wizards focus their fire on Kettle, dealing him 9 damage with bolts of magical energy.

Whisper's turn

NeverSleep
2011-05-06, 08:30 AM
Whisper wheels back to face the remaining swordsman, and uses at least one of his allies movement to draw his attention for a moment. He makes two precise movements, targetting the weakest parts of the swordman's anatomy.

[roll0] 3 bab, 3 dex, at least 2 flanking, -2 twf, 1 mw weapon, 1 wfocus.
[roll1] same

Damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

Sneak
[roll4]
[roll5]

NeverSleep
2011-05-06, 08:32 AM
Confirming crit. On second attack
[roll0]
Additional damage(daggers are x3 right?)
[roll1]
[roll2]

Vonwalt
2011-05-06, 12:30 PM
Whisper lurks up behind the swordsman, who is so distracted by the multiple foes in front of him that he fails to notice the daggers coming towards him until it is too late. you stab him mightily, ending his life with a single blow.

Your remaining minions swarm one of the wizards, bludgeoning him into unconsciousness.

The troll lifts his fists menacingly and moves forward towards the other wizard, who raises his hands and cries out "No! No!"
"Fools."
A beam of light shoots past you and disintegrates the wizard, leaving a smoldering pile of ash.
"And I had such high hopes for them, too..."
You turn just in time to see the drunk disappear in a cloud of smoke.
You catch a glimpse of his face as he goes; hard and angular, with blue eyes above a thin mustache.

NeverSleep
2011-05-06, 03:21 PM
AWW CRAP!!
(Kettle)Hurry and see to these men now!

Kettle releases his rage, and hustles over to where the wizard once stood, almost hoping to smash the air so he can feel it.

Whisper shouts an order to attend to the fallen (hoping at least someone in the group has a little skill) and joins Kettle.

Well, what do we do now?

What ability do I have to heal the men or get them revived in this town?

Vonwalt
2011-05-06, 03:44 PM
Most of them look like you can heal their wounds, cuts, bruises, and they'll be fine with a little rest. The Dwarf wakes up, groaning in pain, while your men attend to the task. Only one of the common folk is dead outright, because Klaus cut his arm off and the trauma killed him. With a little help, you're able to keep all of them in relatively safe condition.

Where the drunkard once stood lies only a scrap of paper, fluttering in the air.

NeverSleep
2011-05-06, 03:48 PM
Kettle picks up the note, and then hands it to Whisper without a word.

Vonwalt
2011-05-06, 04:37 PM
The note reads simply

Impressive
-Vold

The back side of the paper scrap has a distinctive symbol on it, a stylized bearded face looking to the right- the symbol of the house of Østfold, which lies a short ways to the south.

NeverSleep
2011-05-06, 05:31 PM
We'll send the boys off to the hide-out for rest for the next few days.

What is on the bodies?

Then we'll head to the sitting man in charge to let him know about the encounter and the note with the house symbol.

Vonwalt
2011-05-06, 05:47 PM
Between them all: 45 gold, two well made longswords, a masterwork longsword, several suits of studded leather, a masterwork chain-shirt, a number of daggers and small knives in unusual shapes, a set of thieve's tools, and a pair of boots with flowing elven runes around the top.

Vonwalt
2011-05-06, 06:10 PM
When you return to Mors, he frowns at the news. "This is grave news indeed. A sorcerer ov that power, bent on harming Markov? I perhaps will warn the queen ov this. As to the sign, I know it vell. Strakhan Østfold, a good man and loyal. I know not vot the sign's presence means, but perhaps hyu should investigate. If you choose, I vill lend hyu horses."

NeverSleep
2011-05-08, 09:40 PM
We'll stop by our friendly neighborhood book-mage to identify any materials, including the potions and armors we got in the last fight.

Then we'll prepare a proper burial(that's the right thing to do right?), and send word back to his family that he fought bravely, etc...

Then we'll go back to the base for 3 days rest, then start a training regiment. At the end of the week(2nd in the men's "tour") we'll head over to borrow horses with the witch, the top student( as a squire type), kettle, and Whisper.

The rest have orders to keep in contact with the town, and help with whatever they can while continuing to train. The dwarf and the rock troll are in charge.

Vonwalt
2011-05-08, 10:53 PM
Treasure!
Faaabulous magical items you have thus far acquired: Boots of Winter (They allow you to move normally through icy or snowy terrain, ignore penalties caused by non-magical cold, and give you a +2 bonus on saves vs cold-based magical effects.) The jeweled dagger is a +1 dagger. The potions which you took from the wizard's lair are 3 of cure moderate wounds, and 4 of invisibility. The book is also magical, but you can't glean much from it. it contains the wizard's spells.

After three days of training and making the base more presentable, you return to the city and acquire horses, leaving your men in the capable hands of Uli and Thorgrim (The troll and the dwarf, respectively.) You bring with you the ice witch, Anya, and a grizzled old man by the name of Janusz who has appropriated Klaus's former sword and claims to have gained his skills fighting the Gnoll Hans in his youth. After getting your horses, you set out, a few peasants and townsfolk waving you goodbye, on the road to Østfold. It's about a day away, with about two hours of the ride through a small forest. You reach the edge of the forest around noon.

NeverSleep
2011-05-09, 06:45 AM
In our travels we make sure to ask anya about what she is capable of doing magiciwise so that we can plan ahead accordingly.

Janusz will be serving primarily as a messanger/pack person, carrying some extra gear and essentials. Setting up the tents and cooking, etc... He is treated well though, and hopefully was eager to come rather than stay to train.

On our journey we discuss that we are attempting to start an adventurers guild, and this has become our humble beginnings, and thank them for their efforts so far.

We'll also discuss ideas for a guild crest, or identifyer. Perhaps brooches or cloaks, or an emblam. Do they have any ideas about this? The Call or Vormsk is the name we like so far. Are there any animals or creatures that are native here and distinctive?

Marching order is Whisper up front, then Kettle and Anya side by side, then Janusz in the rear. Whisper 20 feet out, others 5 apart.

Vonwalt
2011-05-09, 03:02 PM
Anya's magical powers, she explains, are primarily ice-based. She can freeze people in place and blast them for damage in various ways.
"Perhaps some sort of raven? The symbol of lord Petrovic is a raven on a blue field..."

You enter the forest. It's quiet and dark. After about an hour of riding down the dirt road, Whisper spots something in the road ahead... Some wooden wreckage and a dead horse.

NeverSleep
2011-05-09, 06:03 PM
Whisper hand signals for them to stop, then dismounts and moves off into the woods attempting to get closer while remaining hidden. The men go up and dismount, taking Whisper's horse with them. They then move off of the road as well, but maintain eye contact with Whisper.

Whisper is moving silently and hiding. Keeping an eye out for an ambush on his own party and himself. He tries to maintain eye contact with his crew.

He has his bow drawn.

The crew move with their horses off to the side of the road, and hug the tree line. No speaking. Senses alert.

Vonwalt
2011-05-09, 06:25 PM
As Whisper gets closer, he can see bodies lying around the wagon and dead horse. Then one of them moves. It becomes apparent to Whisper that there are, in fact, five humanoids, likely undead, lying in the pathway around the wrecked wagon. Within the wreckage, he can now also see what remains of the goods within the wagon- food and cloth. For now, at least, the zombies seem focused on slowly eating the horse. There is also a pathway into the woods, a small but obviously well-trodden path.

NeverSleep
2011-05-09, 08:31 PM
Can I get general knowledge checks to see if any character know about the undead's not being as hurt by piercing or slashing damage?

Whisper will signal that they are undead, and return to the group. Assuming someone knows about the bludgeoning, we'll all set up our bows and arrows. After the initial round or two of that from the 3 of us(Anya knows what to do here I assume), we'll plan to close with bludeoning weapons.

Kettle and Janusz have clubs, Whisper a quarterstaff.

Vonwalt
2011-05-10, 01:07 AM
A successful knowledge check reveals, in fact, that these undead are some sort of zombie. Their rotting flesh actually absorbs blows from bludgeoning weapons. However, they take normal damage from slashing and piercing weapons. I'm just going to assume that you guys are using those rather than clubs, and go ahead with the plan as you wrote it.

First round: your team unleashes a hail of arrows at the unsuspecting zombies, killing them... all?

Well, that was eas- You hear a curse, see a flash of movement, and someone runs out of the bushes and down the path you noticed earlier. Looks like a man in black robes.

Your move.

NeverSleep
2011-05-10, 06:41 AM
"Hold on! Who's there! We need not be enemies!" Shouts Whisper.

We give chase,, whisper on foot, kettle and the rest quickly mounting the horses.

Vonwalt
2011-05-10, 12:43 PM
You hear only rustling noises as he continues into the bush. After only a few moments, however, you find him sprawled face down, tripped over a root.
"No no no no please, don't take my soul! He forced me to do it, I didn't want to, I was going to wait until... wait. You're not him! Prepare to die, interlopers!" He flips over, and you see a weaselly man with a skull tattooed over half his face. He holds a knife in one hand.

NeverSleep
2011-05-10, 01:05 PM
Assuming Whisper got there first, then the others arriving on his heels on horseback..

"You can probably see that you are easily outnumbered. I don't want to have to kill you. Why don't you think on it for a moment, and tell us what you know."

Whisper is ready to draw his daggers and strike should the tatooed man attempt to attack him.

Vonwalt
2011-05-10, 01:47 PM
The man looks up as the others arrive ahorse, and the fight grows out of him. He lets the knife slip from his hand, and drop to the ground.
"I was just supposed to wait in this forest, and bring forth my friends when it was time. But he made me do it early! He said I had to stop traffic in the forest, and he killed Nikolai. And now my friends are dead, and I can't do either one of those things!"
He grovels at your feet, sniveling a little.

NeverSleep
2011-05-11, 08:47 AM
Who said you had to stop traffic?

Why would you obey him if he killed your friends?

Vonwalt
2011-05-11, 01:54 PM
"The man! He appeared out of nowhere, and turned Nikolai to dust! He had blue eyes, and a tiny little mustache, and he looked really unhappy. And I obeyed him because he said he would kill me too if I didn't. Besides, he's not the one who killed my friends, you are."
He points back towards where you killed the zombies.
"I was promised eternal life for helping with the invasion, and now I will get nothing."

He starts crying a little.

NeverSleep
2011-05-11, 02:12 PM
"To be honest, those were some of the weakest zombies I've ever seen. You would have only been a road bump for anyone who came through here.

Its clear to me that that man had very little confidence in you... maybe that's why you're in charge of this unimportant strectch of road.

Maybe you should team up with us and take advantage of our training program, instead of throwing up your petty zombies and getting your friends killed."

Vonwalt
2011-05-11, 03:54 PM
"And you can protect me? From him? And from... the dead?"

He looks up at you hopefully.
"Of course! Of course! Oh, thank you so much, sirs. Thank you!

NeverSleep
2011-05-11, 04:09 PM
Can we get some group sense motives on this guy?

If that is all ok, we'll ask him where that little path goes, and if there's any way we can get his zombies back up and brain-eating.

Vonwalt
2011-05-11, 04:27 PM
(Successful sense motive:) He's telling the truth, although his words are a little confusing. It seems likely that the man who came through here was a) Vold and b) not whoever promised him eternal life.

He cannot re-raise the zombies who you slew, but down the path is a well-concealed forest hut at which the rest of his minions are: 6 skeletons.
Also in the hut are his personal effects.

NeverSleep
2011-05-16, 11:36 AM
OOC:
sorry for the super slow response. A tornado hit my gf's parents house in Iowa. I've been helping with that since.

"Was it a man named Vold who promised you eternal life? Who was it? Can you describe him?"

We'll go and collect some of his personal belongings. Maybe his minions should stay back for right now. We'll plan to bring them back to our base on our way back.

Also, we need to be expanding the base by a few rooms it seems. Is that hard to do? We don't need excellent work on the stone, just a few more rooms roughly carved out. Smooth floors would be the only need.

Vonwalt
2011-05-17, 01:26 AM
No worries bro. That is a perfectly reasonable excuse for not posting.

"Vold? No, no. I was promised eternal life by the..."
He looks around nervously, and pulls on the edge of his cloak.
"...Well, I suppose it can't get any worse... By the Lich. Ruler of Geistenwald? Even now his armies march on Markovian land. I don't know anyone named Vold."

The base should be easy enough to expand; several of your raw recruits are older dwarves, who have at least a rudimentary knowledge of stonework. The rock it is dug into is limestone, reinforced with granite. More rooms can be dug easily and safely.

NeverSleep
2011-05-17, 12:42 PM
This is exactly why we brought along the extra man :-)

We'll send Janusz and Anya back to the town with that information. Then Anya should come and join us in the next town asap if she has fast and discreet means of travel via her magic. If not, she should stay at the base.

They will also carry orders back to make plans to expand the base into the mountain. The goal should be living quarters first( a few double and single rooms, small, and a barracks style room), then a training room(s), then a forge, then a nice kitchen/food storage area.

We're keeping the new guy with us.

Did we already know that the ruler of Geistenwald was a lich? Is that the town/country we're headed into?

Vonwalt
2011-05-17, 01:05 PM
The Geistenwald is a semi-mythical region far to the south. (It occupies about the same space in the world as Antartica does in ours.) You're not headed anywhere near there, and as far as you knew, no one came north from it.

Janusz and Anya leave with your instructions, and you, joined by the new guy (His name is Stefan), continue south through through the forest.

NeverSleep
2011-05-17, 02:05 PM
Awesome.

So while we're traveling, we'll try to get as much information from Stefan as possible.

Asking things about how he was contacted by the lich, and if he knew anything about his plans other than "they're marching on Markov".

Other promises? Messengers, what were they like, etc... maybe we can capture or meet one soon. Does he know what kinds of forces he brings? Is it safe to assume undead?

If he is inclined to ask, we'll share limited information on why we're traveling this way, and on who Vold is/why we're after him.

Vonwalt
2011-05-17, 02:44 PM
Stefan is eager to assist you, although he doesn't really know much.

Apparently the Lich has long desired to conquer the world of men from his nebulous realm, which is partly an icy wasteland, and partly actually in the spirit world. Or something. It's easier to create undead there for some reason. Necromancers, such as Stefan, occasionally travel to this nexus of necromantic power, where the Lich recruits them into his army and gives them orders. The main brunt of his army landed somewhere to the west, but the Lich sent infiltrators around the country to harass the Markovians. Mostly they are like him: a necromancer and a small group of undead. He doesn't know exactly where any more are, but he thinks there might be another group in Østfold, where you are going.

As to the Lich's army, it's big, mostly undead, with a small core of necromancers and particularly unscrupulous mercenaries.

Essentially, the Lich promised eternal life for success, unending torment for failure. That's about all he knows.

As evening draws near, you can see a tower, and then a low wall, on the horizon. Østfold.

NeverSleep
2011-05-17, 03:43 PM
So this place is mostly a tower? I assume it is also a manor with farm/cattle/etc... since the head guy has been noted as a particularily loyal noble, is there any reason to be cautious upon entry aside from the impending undead onslaught?

If not, then we continue up the trail torches light and senses heightened.

What does anyone know about the noble here? Human? Temperment? Benevolent? Does he have a private army himself? Title?

Vonwalt
2011-05-17, 04:25 PM
Human, fairly old. Like most nobles, he has a small group of permanent guards, and in times of war draws the rest of his troops from the surrounding peasants. He's just known as Lord Strakhan.
A better description of the town:

It is surrounded by a low wall, within which lie several dozen houses. At the center of the small town rises the stone tower. You approach a small gate, which lies open into the town.

You have nothing to fear from the town as it is normally, but what with Vold likely being here and the undead all about...

NeverSleep
2011-05-18, 05:08 PM
About what time of the day is it? Light conditions? Weather?

We'll look about the town while making our way towards the tower. Are people's lights on? Tavern open? Does everything seem "as usual"?

If yes, we'll move on to gain entrance to the the tower. If no, we'll investigate the town itself further by going into an alehouse or business to ask a few questions.

Vonwalt
2011-05-19, 12:39 AM
It's early evening (6ish.) the sun is low in the sky, and torches and lamps are just coming out. Things seem normal as you pass through, the population being predominately human and dwarf. You arrive at the base of the tower, which is quite large, and proceed up a wooden ramp to a door set about 15 feet up the side. a small hatch opens in it, and an old man peers out.

"Yes?"

NeverSleep
2011-05-19, 01:26 AM
We're here to see the master of the house. It is of urgent importance.

We show him the letter stating we've got the resources of our town on our side, as well as the support of the government.

Vonwalt
2011-05-19, 01:33 AM
"my goodness, that is impressive," he says, and opens the door to allow you in.
You walk through several corridors and up a few flights of stairs before arriving at a large room with a fireplace on one side. In a carved wooden chair sits an old human man draped in a bearskin blanket. He looks up as you approach.

"Mmmyes, what is it, Franz? Who are these men?"

NeverSleep
2011-05-19, 10:51 AM
I ask our newest member to stand outside, along with his assistant saying,

"Would you gentlemen leave us alone for a few moments to discuss this privately."

(Assuming that goes as planned)

We'll go on to discuss with him...

"We have reason to believe that armies from the mystic south may be on your doorstep. They use the undead to do their bidding. It is imperative that we discuss this in detail, but you should start the preparations for an imminant attack as soon as possible.

Do you know of the name "Vold"?

Vonwalt
2011-05-19, 12:56 PM
"Here? That's preposterous! They're far to the west, at Yzarhal and White Harbor. I should know, I sent my sons and much of my strength to fight them. And Vold? The name seems familiar, but I can't say exactly where from..."

He looks off into space for a moment, clearly trying to remember.

"..No, it's gone. Anyway, what proof do you have of this so-called attack?"

NeverSleep
2011-05-19, 01:47 PM
We share the information about tracking the no-gooders who were holding the town hostage, and were meeting Vold for nefarious reasons.

We'll end with talking about our converted necromancer outside, and the information he shared.

Vonwalt
2011-05-19, 02:57 PM
"Well, well. This is dire news indeed. I'll be sure to alert my guards to the danger. You two seem to know what's going on with this, will you be investigating? If so, I would be most grateful to you. You could even stay here, in my tower."

NeverSleep
2011-05-19, 03:28 PM
Now would be the time for some sense motive checks.

We'll ask if there are any personalities around town we should know about. Crooked gaurds, seedy businesses, unsavory individuals, people of extra-ordinary talent, etc...

We'll ask use of a messenger to send back to our tiny group, asking for Anya, and the troll to join us with Janusz and 3 other peasants/junior militia. We'll ask that they join us in the morning asap.

Dwarf and 5 peasants to maintain presence in Vormsk, and keep training/digging.

Also, update the big guy in Vormsk of our basic findings and our taking on investigations here.

Vonwalt
2011-05-25, 01:43 PM
The next morning, your friends arrive to assist you. After a short time of asking around town, you determine that besides the lord, there are three particularly important people:

A master smith and merchant by the name of Kurz, who controls the metal trade into the city; The owner of a high-class tavern (more like a hotel, really); and a visiting noble from the east, staying in that same tavern.

NeverSleep
2011-05-26, 08:41 AM
We'll want to be checking out the smith first. We'll ask the population as we go about him. Mostly where to find him, does he take visitors, does he have political or financial motivations or strategies?

Kettle, Whisper, and Anya will go see him.

The rest will be on general "lookout" and should go to a tailor and comission some capes and maybe broaches.

The capes should be black with gold trim/inlays. Three ranks right now, black with little gold, black with some gold, and black with a little more gold. This signifies rank in the oragnization. Comission a few extra of each, more of the common ones obviously.

The detailing should be a crow in profile, but turning to the view and screeching. "Call of Vormsk" may be seen somewhere subtly.

The broaches should be the crow image with detail.

They can refer to the note we have, but say that we don't expect them to work for free.

Vonwalt
2011-05-26, 04:18 PM
The smith is easy enough to find... You aren't able to dig up much information about him, however. He lives in a largish house, with his smithy attached to one side and a warehouse attached to the other side.

His motivations, as far as you can tell, are profit then patriotism: He transports iron into the city, makes goods with his apprentices, and sells them around the city and up to Vormsk. However, he also made weapons and armor for the lord here for discount prices to support the war effort.

You are easily able to find a tailor, who happily accepts your money and begins work on the cloaks.

You arrive outside the forge, and are confronted with several people, all hard at work- muscular men and dwarves, directed by a one eyed, entirely bald dwarf who you assume is Kurz.

NeverSleep
2011-05-27, 12:37 PM
"Are you master Kurtz? We need to speak with you(him). It is urgent."

Would you roll our group diplomancy keyed off of Whisper?

We're going for being official as well as professional. We will present the letter if we encounter any 'guff from the men here.

Vonwalt
2011-05-30, 01:58 PM
"Aye, that's me. Come inside here, and tell me what it is ye be wantin'." He leads you over to his house, shouting back over his shoulder:
"Keep workin', boys! I'll be back in a bit."
Once inside the house, he offers you seats at a large wooden table, and waits expectantly for you to explain your presence.

NeverSleep
2011-05-31, 04:18 PM
Kurtz,

We have reason to believe that this settlement may be only moments away from being under attack by an army of the undead.

We wait to see his reaction to that, then go on...

Have you experienced anything unusual in your trade? A large order from an unexpected source perhaps?

Please fill us in on anything you think may be important.

Would you roll another group diplomacy if necessary please? We'll probably want sense motives on him as well.

Vonwalt
2011-05-31, 04:46 PM
"What? Really? By the gods! what should I do? What- it- son of a-"
As near as you can tell, he seems genuinely surprised. Unfortunately, once he calms down, he doesn't actually have that much interesting news for you. the only interesting or unusual order he's had is from a nobleman from the east, for a large, gem-encrusted sword.

"He's staying in the tavern on Coal street, if you want to ask him about it. I never trusted foreigners..."

NeverSleep
2011-06-01, 10:43 PM
We ask that,
If you have any new information for us, we can be found about town, we are known as "The Call of Vormsk". If you have any weapons or armor to distribute to the town guard or our men it would be much appreciated if you would do so as soon as possible

I can speak for our men when I say that it will be returned should we no longer be serving this city directly.

We'll head off to Coal street, looking for this bar/inn where we may find a traveling merchant, and a tavern-keep of interest.

Vonwalt
2011-06-03, 01:44 AM
"Well, I suppose I have a few extra swords lying around..." He hands the few men you have with you some simple but well-made weapons.

So armed, you travel a few streets down and come across a large, stone-and-wood structure with a sign out front. It says simply [THE COAL BUCKET].
Within, you discover a largish common room, mostly empty due to the earlyish hour of the day. There's a large, besideburned man idly wiping a rag across a mug.

NeverSleep
2015-07-21, 12:31 PM
Any chance you'd like to pick this back up? I think about this campaign fairly often actually! I was really pumped about the base and the expansion of the party here.

It's been inspiration for more than a few sessions of my own.

Let me know, thanks!