PDA

View Full Version : War of the Spider Queen

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-17, 05:59 PM
I've been reading the first book in R. A. Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen sires and I'm quite impressed. Enough so to tweet about it and endorse it on Facebook.
It's dark, rich, epic, and very well thought out; unlike most of the second rate fantasy novels based on D&D. It has amazing imagery that makes you feel like you're watching a high-budget movie, and is as engrossing as you could ever hope a novel to be.
I recommend the six books to people who don't have jobs and don't mind missing hours of sleep.

Buy the first book on Amazon HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Dissolution-Forgotten-Realms-R-Salvatores/dp/0786929448/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303081035&sr=8-2).

Buy the first three books in a nice boxed set HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Queen-Gift-Salvatore-Presents/dp/0786941863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303081035&sr=8-1).

pffh
2011-04-17, 06:06 PM
The first three books are indeed amazing and the fifth and sixth books are quite decent as well. To bad about the fourth book though. How the author of that book got the deal to write the follow up books (Lady Penitent books) I'll never know. Although the Lady Penitent books are decent and a lot better then her attempt at the fourth book of the War of the spider queen.

But yeah I'm rambling War of the spider queen well worth the read indeed.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-17, 08:12 PM
Yes, I did hear that the fourth book was bad.

As I make my way through the novel, I like it more and more. None of the characters are anything short of moderately evil, but that seems strangely refreshing and is done in a way that doesn't make the story depressing.

pffh
2011-04-17, 08:45 PM
It's not that it's bad it's more that it' so... different. No that's not the right word. [Rant= on] For example the fighter guy (don't remember any names so bear with me:smallbiggrin:) is not the fighter guy from the other books it's just a fighter guy that happens to have the same name as the other fighter guy.
This is especially obvious when he fights the half demon. Someone he's been dieing to fight and he runs away and not only that he ends up using a normal woodcutting axe because the demon broke a formerly demonstrated near unbreakable sword.

Also the bard/cleric lady suddenly becomes good through the power of love? The woman that has lost everything except her slave and her dark powers decided to free her only possession and go frolicking naked in the flowers

I find that it takes the already established personalities and mood of the first three books and then ignores it. But as she shows in the Lady penitent books she can write when given the freedom to create her own characters and mood but obviously has a hard time working with someone else's stuff.
[ /rant]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-18, 09:57 AM
It took all my willpower not to open those spoiler tags. I don't have very much willpower.

Jayngfet
2011-04-18, 04:18 PM
WOTSP was good until maybe the third book. Every other book in the series is dead to me, dead from wall banging concussions.

The Big Dice
2011-04-18, 06:09 PM
I thought the War of the Spider Queen was a good set of long journey books. I predicted exactly what was going on from the first page, and like a lot of D&D books, it was fairly predictable stuff. But there were some nice moments in there. Like the Aboleths. But overall, a bit bland, a lot predictable.