PDA

View Full Version : Cohort-less Leadership?

Boci
2011-04-17, 07:04 PM
I was thinking of a character that needs some ammunition for their mother cyst feat and was wondering what the general idea would be of a feat that grants mindthral like followers (devoted to the point of suicide, replaced each week) on the condition that you got no cohort and all 1st level followers were from NPC classes. Too strong, or would you allow that?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-17, 07:08 PM
I was thinking of a character that needs some ammunition for their mother cyst feat and was wondering what the general idea would be of a feat that grants mindthral like followers (devoted to the point of suicide, replaced each week) on the condition that you got no cohort and all 1st level followers were from NPC classes. Too strong, or would you allow that?

That's increadibly powerful; as a DM I would allow it, but the campaign world wouldn't just sit back and let it happen. After a week or so of thralls showing up to get consumed you'd start getting attacked by groups of plucky young adventurers.

Boci
2011-04-18, 03:51 AM
That's increadibly powerful; as a DM I would allow it, but the campaign world wouldn't just sit back and let it happen. After a week or so of thralls showing up to get consumed you'd start getting attacked by groups of plucky young adventurers.

"Its not my fault people just turn up, willing to serve me to the death and then spontenously explode!"

Amphetryon
2011-04-18, 06:56 AM
Dread Pirate's capstone ability is not dissimilar to a cohort-less Leadership. Consider its relative strengths and weaknesses to decide on balance for the ability.

Boci
2011-04-18, 01:35 PM
Dread Pirate's capstone ability is not dissimilar to a cohort-less Leadership. Consider its relative strengths and weaknesses to decide on balance for the ability.

Do you think the feat should be weaker or equal to this particular PrC's capstone?

Morph Bark
2011-04-18, 01:37 PM
Do you think the feat should be weaker or equal to this particular PrC's capstone?

Equal is good, but you made it sound like you wanted something akin to a Thrallherd's signature gig, minus the thrall (so you just get the herd).

Boci
2011-04-18, 01:40 PM
Equal is good, but you made it sound like you wanted something akin to a Thrallherd's signature gig, minus the thrall (so you just get the herd).

I do, thats why I included the limitation that all first level followes are of NPC classes. I'm just gathering information concerning potential DM's attitude to this.

Morph Bark
2011-04-18, 02:01 PM
I do, thats why I included the limitation that all first level followes are of NPC classes. I'm just gathering information concerning potential DM's attitude to this.

Frankly, if all they're going to do is dying, that is one of the crappiest limitations ever.

A permanent -5 penalty to Leadership is more like it.

Draconi Redfir
2011-04-18, 02:03 PM
Just make the minions banelings?

Boci
2011-04-18, 02:08 PM
Frankly, if all they're going to do is dying, that is one of the crappiest limitations ever.

A permanent -5 penalty to Leadership is more like it.

-4 and NPC only for 1st level followers limitation? Also they are replaced each week, not each day.

Just make the minions banelings?

4th edition monster?

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 02:17 PM
4th edition monster?

They're the cutest little balls of explosive acidic goo you'll ever find. I'd snuggle one all day long if it didnt' mean a horrible burning acidy death.

Baneling (http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/121/1/3/Baneling___Starcraft_2_by_kola_thw.png), and the awesome plushie variety. (http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/08/baneling.jpg)

They're Zerg creatures from Starcraft 2.

Assuming that's the Baneling that Gicko was talking about.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-18, 03:08 PM
I must have a plushie Baneling now. Where are they sold?

Boci
2011-04-18, 07:26 PM

My character has them. You can currently get 2 for the price of one, and he'll throw in a necrotic cyst in each for free!

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 07:42 PM

It (they?) were made by this person (http://www.etsy.com/listing/52896693/bangling-sc2-baneling-fan-art-plush) as far as I know, rather than by a Blizzard-owned store. You might be sadly out of luck in obtaining one. I expect there might be a rather large backlog of orders since said plushie made its rounds on the Escapist, Kotaku and the like. Still, can't hurt to ask (there's a 'Contact Shop Owner' link on the linked page) I suppose.

Boci
2011-04-18, 10:35 PM
It (they?) were made by this person (http://www.etsy.com/listing/52896693/bangling-sc2-baneling-fan-art-plush) as far as I know, rather than by a Blizzard-owned store. You might be sadly out of luck in obtaining one. I expect there might be a rather large backlog of orders since said plushie made its rounds on the Escapist, Kotaku and the like. Still, can't hurt to ask (there's a 'Contact Shop Owner' link on the linked page) I suppose.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.