PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out an Encounter with Big T

Angry Bob
2011-04-17, 08:02 PM
The encounter is such: The Tarrasque, with its unique weaknesses(very kiteable, in this case, other weaknesses are unlikely to come into play) shored up by a small army of druids and totemists.

The PCs(all ECL 11):

-A high-powered charger(that incidentally has an absurd AC, though Big T's still going to go through it like a hot chainsaw through a baby) that we eventually discovered can do around a thousand damage on an average charge attack(though DR 15/epic will attenuate that somewhat since it's the number of attacks he gets that makes him so powerful rather than leap attack/shock trooper cheese thus far).

-A lesser pixie(houseruled variant that drops some of its more powerful SLAs and ability bonuses) Sorcerer/Initiate of the Seven Veils that spams Wings of Cover to stop basically everything.

-A large goliath spiked chain warblade with an absurd reach and AOO stuff.

-A githzerai pirate focused on shredding things with thrown drow long knives and dex to damage a bunch of times.
Pretty high - powered, at least compared to what the group's used to in other campaigns.

Stuff to figure out:

Each player should be able to contribute. As it stands, I guess(PCs are a bizarre creature, who knows how they'll actually deal with it) the strategy will involve the charger getting a couple hits on it to take it down, the warblade chipping away with elder mtn hammer(with the sorcerer on his shoulder doing his wings of cover thing to stop really nasty-looking hits), the githzerai sniping the other enemies(fully possible, once one-shotted the boss of an entire story arc with 248 damage), and the sorcerer countering the druids' casting.

If this was your party, what would you have them do?

What have I failed to consider about the battle? What other issues might make this encounter trivially easy, seizure-inducingly frustrating, or an outright tpk?

I'll figure out how to bring wish into play at some point. Probably a one-shot artifact buried near the Tarrasque's lair.

I don't care if one or two characters drop, the lethality should be increasing at this point in the campaign, but:

tl;dr: The Tarrasque brought friends. Am I about to wipe the ECL 11 party with what was supposed to be a brief sidequest?

After-question: What exactly does Wings of Cover stop and not stop?