PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid/hide a Holy Water allergy

veven
2011-04-17, 09:12 PM
Been reading SilverClawShift's excellent campaign journals (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) to come up with some inspiration for a game I may run in the future. I have no shame in saying that I am yoinking the being holed-up in a church with an unknown vampire thing. The high priest of the church is a vampire (lvl 6, in an E6 campaign) but since this will be happening around level 2 and i want him to be a reoccurring BBEG the players will have to deal with one of his acolytes (a vampire spawn with a ring of permanent disguise self). He doesn't need to be immune to Holy Water since he is working in (against) a church but aside from being exceptionally careful around it, can you think of a way (that is not ridiculously obvious) for him to have a degree of protection against it's effects?

Many thanks in advance.

Jack_Simth
2011-04-17, 09:29 PM
Well, unless the religion has you regularly sprinkling holy water on people, it's not expected to come up. See, holy water costs 50 gp in materials to make, so it's not going to be splashed around willy-nilly.

Plus, of course, Spellcraft is not usable untrained, so almost nobody will know if that's holy water or unholy water unless they're trained in such (DC 15 + Spell level)... and if you make it out of sight of people, it's even harder (DC 20+Spell Level).

Seonor
2011-04-17, 10:15 PM
Some sort of illusion that hides the effects.

He knew he would one day be forced to touch holy water and to prepared for it by taking small doses of it for a long time (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcquiredPoisonImmunity) to aquire a limited immunity to it.

If he already touched it and scars remained make up a story about an attack or accident with acid.

Let him pretend to be afraid of illness/dirt and wear protective gloves all the time.

Or combine the two: his hands/skin are scarred and he hides them under gloves/high-necked clothing. Everyone thinks he got the scars in the service of the church/god/good and he just doesn't wan't to show them because it scares children/the looks he gets make him uncomfortable. In reality he wears protective clothing.

Aemoh87
2011-04-17, 10:18 PM
Some sort of illusion that hides the effects.

He knew he would one day be forced to touch holy water and to prepared for it by taking small doses of it for a long time (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcquiredPoisonImmunity) to aquire a limited immunity to it.

We have all seen princess bride but is unlikely that it works with holy effects.

olentu
2011-04-17, 10:58 PM
Hmm off hand I vaguely recall that libris mortis may have ruled that holy water is a positive energy effect and I recall a feat that gives resistance to such effects. Though the exact wordings are not coming to mind so this may not actually do what you want but it is something you may want to check out. Also I think there was a spell that did something similar.

Cog
2011-04-17, 11:16 PM
Libris Mortis does state that, so combined with the spell Spark of Life (SC) or the feat Positive Energy Resistance (LM) would indeed do the trick. The multiple small doses thing could be written up as a location/ritual to grant the feat, similar to Otyugh Hole as a location for granting Iron Will.

krai
2011-04-18, 12:22 AM
He could wear gloves so he wont get to much on himself and train himself to ignore the pain. As long as you don't rule that he is all that visibly effected by the holy water this would be enough to hide that he is undead.

Safety Sword
2011-04-18, 01:56 AM
If his "holy water" was actually unholy water, that would pretty much solve his issues.

Plus, hilarity ensues when PCs throw flasks at undead and it heals them. It also blows your cover, but maybe at that point that's OK.