PDA

View Full Version : Starting an evil campaign, need a little help :P

ranger557
2011-04-18, 02:31 AM
Hey all, I've talked to my group and they all wanted to start an evil campaign. I too also like the idea of being on the other side, so right now we have 5 or 6 players and we haven't decided classes of yet. Also we are going to go gestalt, and i've read how to adjust to that, so thats fine with me. My question is how do i keep my party together and how do i direct adventures to them?

I've read the vile of darkness and that help a little. Also I'm using the Greyhawk setting and putting them in the empire of Iuz. I've been reading all the material about the Flanaess and I feel overwhelmed with so many approaches I could direct my group to do in the Empire of Iuz. I mean there is so much that is going on in the empire, what should I link them to, so they can start an adventure? should i put them in higher status, so they are given missions and quests that would help Iuz's army conquer better? Or should i just make them choose what they want to do and grow powerful themselves to start their own conquest? Or should I just put them somewhere else and let them just rape, pillage, and kill anything they want?

thanks for any advice, I appreciate it :)

rakkoon
2011-04-18, 02:34 AM
An organisation or at least evil priests giving them assignments will be the most easy route to take. Money and power is a second option. Make sure that there is a strong good force present so that they can get some opposition and and not just kill anyone in sight.
Rival deities and organisations are always fun, perhaps someone wants them to be their slaves/pets and puts them in a dungeon together, that might start the bonding experience?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-18, 02:38 AM
Running an Evil Campaign is different to running a Good one, it's generally more sandbox than a Good as Evil is more proactive than Good.
My advice is to ask your players if they want a Burn/Pillage/Rape/Loot Game or a Evil Mastermind game.
Burn/Pillage/Rape/Loot is the easiest, just have them destroy villages and cities at-will and send Good parties after them, preferably Paladins and other Good-Aligned Classes.
Evil Mastermind games are harder, you have to be a good improv DM as they can and will use Xanatos Gambits and other tricks to achieve goals and use methods not usually mentioned in Good Campaigns

To stop PvP (If you want to) requires working with the players, if the characters are strangers with no connection to each other and lots of differing ideals then bloodshed will soon follow but if they are after the same thing, have known each other a long time or must work with them to complete their goals then PvP has a very little chance of happening

Yora
2011-04-18, 05:34 AM
One thing to figure out before you start is if the players want to work together or screw each other over all the time. Both are fun if everyone is on to it from the beginning. If some want to play a serious evil campaign and only one or two want to kill the other characters and steal their loot, it always ends in disaster.

Mr.Smashy
2011-04-18, 09:00 AM
Evil campaigns are *Extremely* hard to run. I have ran a few in my time, and they always seem to spiral down into the "Rape, Pillage, and Burn" type of a game. Even if things start out on the level. I like to start my players in a generally good aligned city, and they start working as freelance mercenaries for the thieves guild subverting the power players and regal offices of the government, or even working for a corrupt politician himself. There is so much that an evil party can do.

1. Their thieves guild contact needs a guards barracks set on fire to send a message.
2. They get a message from the "Politician" that a running mate of his has back stabbed him, and he will line their pockets well for his disposal.
3. The PC's are approached by an underground cult, seeking information on prominent figures in the area, so as they can blackmail them.

There are a bunch of great ideas. Think yourself about the most conniving, backstabbing, de-based, and deranged ideas you can come up with. 9/10 the PC's will try the same.

For an extra twist, throw in a little backstabbing of the characters as well. When they go to the drop location, they are jumped by a group of thugs who were told they would be paid for silencing the PC's.

I think i have the start of an adventure....
:smallsmile: