PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stupid Munchkinism

Woodzyowl
2011-04-18, 02:57 AM
So, since my character is now epic, some people on the forums were suggesting taking feats having to do with Craft (Underwater Basketweaving). I was wondering if taking feats for Craft (Sarcastic Comment), Profession (Sarcastic Kid), or Perform (Sarcasm) would be any more munchkinly, roleplayingly interesting, or plain funny, since I'm not planning on making baskets anyways.

Firechanter
2011-04-18, 03:26 AM
How about Craft Disturbing Mental Image?

Greenish
2011-04-18, 03:30 AM
Feel better now?

Tvtyrant
2011-04-18, 03:35 AM
Craft(game balance)? :smalltongue:

...Couldn't help myself...

Eldan
2011-04-18, 03:45 AM
Craft(game balance)? :smalltongue:

...Couldn't help myself...

Truly, an undertaking for an epic character if there ever was one.

Bang!
2011-04-18, 04:28 AM
I think it depends primarily on your character's stat array, though pre-epic build and your intended direction of advancement would act as contributing factors.

With lack of further context, I'll assume the three are equally desireable and that you would want to benefit from all of them. In that situation, I would recommend a dip into Chameleon, primarily for the floating feat, which will provide a bit of versatility in your sarcasm.

If, on the other hand your build has already been largely developed, beside this extra feat, I would assess the options as follows:

Craft (Sarcastic Comment): A Masterwork Sarcastic Comment has a selling price of 0gp, so you'd have to make an awful lot to pull a profit. On the other hand, heavy investment in this skill provides a circumstance bonus on Appraise checks regarding Sarcastic Comments, which I'm sure would assist in obnoxious metafictional plot analyses, if your DM is sarcastic type. Unfortunately, if your DM doesn't partake in sarcasm, this skill would be largely useless.

Profession (Sarcastic Kid): Are you a goat? Do you dress as one? I could see some finagley rule-play there, using your Sarcastic Kid profession to gain synergy bonus on goat disguises. It's tricky, but it might work. The pay is low, but it scales, so if you can crank your check to obnoxiously high levels, this could be the most lucrative of the bunch.

Perform (Sarcasm): This is the only one of the options with an Epic progression. That's a good thing. Mass Fanaticism is very profitable. Unfortunately, the profits of a performance don't scale with success beyond DC30. That's still more than you'd make with a Profession roll of 140, but you can't make it go any higher, no matter how you try.

All in all, Perform(Sarcasm) appears to be the most powerful option, though if you can raise your Profession check into the tens of thousands, it may be worthwhile for the wealth, if you aren't abusing your epic status to create nigh-infinite wealth already. But you probably are, so even then Perform is likely your best option.

Woodzyowl
2011-04-18, 02:27 PM
I think it depends primarily on your character's stat array, though pre-epic build and your intended direction of advancement would act as contributing factors.

With lack of further context, I'll assume the three are equally desireable and that you would want to benefit from all of them. In that situation, I would recommend a dip into Chameleon, primarily for the floating feat, which will provide a bit of versatility in your sarcasm.

If, on the other hand your build has already been largely developed, beside this extra feat, I would assess the options as follows:

Craft (Sarcastic Comment): A Masterwork Sarcastic Comment has a selling price of 0gp, so you'd have to make an awful lot to pull a profit. On the other hand, heavy investment in this skill provides a circumstance bonus on Appraise checks regarding Sarcastic Comments, which I'm sure would assist in obnoxious metafictional plot analyses, if your DM is sarcastic type. Unfortunately, if your DM doesn't partake in sarcasm, this skill would be largely useless.

Profession (Sarcastic Kid): Are you a goat? Do you dress as one? I could see some finagley rule-play there, using your Sarcastic Kid profession to gain synergy bonus on goat disguises. It's tricky, but it might work. The pay is low, but it scales, so if you can crank your check to obnoxiously high levels, this could be the most lucrative of the bunch.

Perform (Sarcasm): This is the only one of the options with an Epic progression. That's a good thing. Mass Fanaticism is very profitable. Unfortunately, the profits of a performance don't scale with success beyond DC30. That's still more than you'd make with a Profession roll of 140, but you can't make it go any higher, no matter how you try.

All in all, Perform(Sarcasm) appears to be the most powerful option, though if you can raise your Profession check into the tens of thousands, it may be worthwhile for the wealth, if you aren't abusing your epic status to create nigh-infinite wealth already. But you probably are, so even then Perform is likely your best option.

Thank you. I'm a monk, so I could do well with Profession (Sarcastic Kid), but I always need more minions :xykon: so I think Perform (Sarcasm) would be my best bet. I'll probably end up taking Skill Focus, Greater Skill Focus, and Epic Skill Focus for it too. Maybe I can put a giant loudspeaker on my spaceship and turn entire planets-worth of people into my minions.

Cartigan
2011-04-18, 02:38 PM
This gives me a great idea for a Bard focus if we roll up a new game - Perform (Witty repartee)

Woodzyowl
2011-04-18, 02:46 PM
This gives me a great idea for a Bard focus if we roll up a new game - Perform (Witty repartee)

Indeed. You are very welcome. Using that to inspire heroics and maybe intimidate the other team as well... That would be awesome. Do it.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-18, 02:47 PM
I prefer Perform (Half-Orc Joke).

nedz
2011-04-18, 04:00 PM
You should consider maxxing out Sense Humour.

I prefer Perform (Half-Orc Joke).
Or maybe not.:smallbiggrin: