PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Blast and Practiced Spellcaster

Longcat
2011-04-18, 03:51 AM
Hello all,
I've got a quick question: Imagine you're a Warlock1/OtherClass4, and take Practiced Spellcaster(Warlock). Is your Eldritch Blast damage 1d6 or 3d6?

Also, are there any ways outside of Chasuble of Fell Power or Hellfire Warlock/Legacy Champion to increase Eldritch Blast damage?

NNescio
2011-04-18, 03:53 AM
Hello all,
I've got a quick question: Imagine you're a Warlock1/OtherClass4, and take Practiced Spellcaster(Warlock). Is your Eldritch Blast damage 1d6 or 3d6?

Also, are there any ways outside of Chasuble of Fell Power or Hellfire Warlock/Legacy Champion to increase Eldritch Blast damage?

Bloodline Levels? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

Boci
2011-04-18, 03:54 AM
1d6, eldritch blast is not based off your caster level.

Axinian
2011-04-18, 05:02 AM
^Well the damage isn't. Other things like it's chance of overcoming spell resistance are [/nitpick]

Feytalist
2011-04-18, 05:10 AM
It's a SLA with caster level equal to half your class level, so Practiced Spellcaster should enhance that (by 2 only), whereas the damage is solely based on Warlock level.

(Just explaining the previous two posters a bit)

Longcat
2011-04-18, 06:00 AM
Oh well, this kinda sucks. Looks like I'll have to use a Chasuble of Fell Power to qualify for Eldritch Theurge after all.

Prime32
2011-04-18, 07:12 AM
Ask your DM first though, since it seems like a reasonable houserule.

Cog
2011-04-18, 07:50 AM
It's a SLA with caster level equal to half your class level...
Er, no. Warlocks get full caster level. You're thinking of the description of equivalent spell level, but that was errataed to always be 1 (subject to the invocation stacking rules) anyway.

...so Practiced Spellcaster should enhance that (by 2 only)...
This wouldn't be true anyway. Practiced Spellcaster's benefit is limited only by your HD, so even for half-casters like Paladins and Rangers it gives full benefit.

Feytalist
2011-04-18, 07:59 AM
Er, no. Warlocks get full caster level. You're thinking of the description of equivalent spell level, but that was errataed to always be 1 (subject to the invocation stacking rules) anyway.

Ah yes, I was thinking of spell level. I wasn't even aware that it was changed in the errata, thanks.

This wouldn't be true anyway. Practiced Spellcaster's benefit is limited only by your HD, so even for half-casters like Paladins and Rangers it gives full benefit.

The OP was referring to a multiclass Warlock/Something Else, in which case it would give the benefit.

Douglas
2011-04-18, 08:47 AM
Warlock/Something Else, in which case it would give the benefit.
His point was that Practiced Spellcaster gives its full +4 caster level, not just half.

Feytalist
2011-04-18, 09:08 AM
Aargh, right again.

I should just never ever play Warlock. That's what I learned out of this thread.

Cog
2011-04-18, 09:15 AM
Alternatively, playing one would just be a good excuse for you to learn the rules. :smallbiggrin: