PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help for upcoming zombie adventure - no slashing weapons, what spells, etc

Turok117
2011-04-18, 12:28 PM
I'm the cleric in my party (we're level 5) and we're about to go up against a whole TON of zombies (5 or so encounters). Problem is, my character only has a mace (and a crossbow...) and is proficient with just simple weapons.

I have 8 turn attempts and 1 greater turn attempt (cleric of Pelor - Sun and Strength). Access to just core spells.

What do?

I was thinking of buying a cleaver (1d6 slashing, 19-20) and using that for the adventure.

vampire2948
2011-04-18, 12:39 PM
Give everyone a Potion of Hide from Undead, so they can escape easily if overwhelmed by zombies? Or low on hp, whatever.

jguy
2011-04-18, 01:08 PM
Ask the DM if you can use the turning variant in Complete Divine (or champion) that does d6/level in damage instead of consulting a chart. Will help wipe out zombies a lot faster. Greater turnings could be considered 2d6/level.

Daggers are some of the most common weapons in existence, even a kitchen knife counts as one. 1d4+strength is better then having to suck up the DR 5.

If you have down time and spare gold, start blessing water to use against them.

McSmack
2011-04-18, 01:12 PM
well if you're only going with the Core Rulebook, you could get a sickle (simple 1d6 x2).

Consecrate might be a good spell to have handy. Some Summon Monster spells will give them something to chew on that's not you. Glyph of Warding is also nice, Searing Light. Area of effect spells are nice, of which, in core, there aren't many. Sound Burst might help.

You might be better off simply buffing your armor up significantly and wading into melee with a shield and a sickle.

Skaven
2011-04-18, 01:45 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWater.htm

might help.

Turok117
2011-04-19, 07:21 AM
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

That hide from undead spell is ludicrously powerful - I'm thinking about casting it on everyone and running through the dungeon, taking out the evil clerics and then dealing with the zombies at our leisure.

How pissed do you think my DM will be?

Greenish
2011-04-19, 11:03 AM
How pissed do you think my DM will be?We wouldn't know your DM, but if you try to do that, he'd better be good at taking surprises.

If he isn't, instead of blindsiding him it'd be better to warn him. Surprised DMs can be hasty.

Telonius
2011-04-19, 11:14 AM
On the DM's side, there are ways to get around it, or at least alert the more intelligent undead and/or Clerics. The Alarm spell (password: "Brainnsss...") is one way. Tripwires and other traps can help.

Greenish
2011-04-19, 11:20 AM
On the DM's side, there are ways to get around it, or at least alert the more intelligent undead and/or Clerics. The Alarm spell (password: "Brainnsss...") is one way. Tripwires and other traps can help.Yes, if the DM is good at thinking on his feet, or is prepared, it's no biggie.

On the other hand, the DM might panic and cause you to run into a Balor or two. :smalltongue: