PDA

View Full Version : Best modules

Shinizak
2011-04-18, 12:58 PM
I'm looking for the best modules of any system to run, they need not be official but I am looking something genuinely fun. I myself found running the free adventure "dark & stormy Knight" to be the best game available on the wizard's site.

Eldan
2011-04-18, 02:17 PM
I like Desire and the Dead from Planewalker.com, but that's a very loose adventure. It has a lot of sidequests and NPCs, but the part about actually resolving the main quest is not really worked out.

And on the subject of Planescape, I also like Harbinger House for the general plot but, once again, the investigation part needs to be redone a bit to actually work.

potatocubed
2011-04-18, 02:48 PM
I'm also a big fan of Harbinger House, and the longer Planescape adventure Dead Gods. (Both 2e AD&D.)

For 3.0, I really liked Speaker in Dreams.

In D&D 3.5 I liked Expedition to the Demonweb Pits (despite its insistence that various Abyssal deities are just more things to be killed) and the Necromancer Games boxed set City of Brass, which I'm just itching for the chance to do something with.

Pathfinder adventure paths are all quality adventures, although each path has at least one fatal flaw (which varies from path to path). Kingmaker is good, and although I wasn't too impressed by Serpent's Skull I hear other people love it. Carrion Crown (the most recent) is my current favourite.

For RuneQuest I was particularly fond of Blood of Orlanth.

I hear good things about The Great Pendragon Campaign.

Jair Barik
2011-04-18, 02:48 PM
From 3.5 Red Hand of Doom is very popular though I am finding Expedition to the DemonWeb Pits to be very good.

CapnVan
2011-04-18, 04:12 PM
I'm looking for the best modules of any system to run, they need not be official but I am looking something genuinely fun. I myself found running the free adventure "dark & stormy Knight" to be the best game available on the wizard's site.

Eish! So much of it depends on your group's preferences! And experience.

But I'll always retain a soft spot for the original Ravenloft.

dsmiles
2011-04-18, 04:28 PM
1e Tomb of Horrors and Ruins of Undermountain (which might be 2e, I can't remember).

Ozreth
2011-04-18, 05:04 PM
For 3.x:

Expedition to Greyhawk
Expedition to Ravenloft
Red Hand of Doom
Sunless Citadel (lvl 1, first 3.0 module, super fun!)
Freeport Trilogy

The Big Dice
2011-04-18, 05:32 PM
For D&D, I've got a soft spot for The Keep on the Borderlands. B2 was in the box for my first D&D set and I still think it's a great example of how to make very little info go an enormously long way. It's not so much an adventure as an introductory campaign setting.

Best module ever has to go to Mirror, Mirror, though. This was a Legend of the Five Rings module that was originally going to be published as the companion to Bearers of Jade, the second Book of the Shadowlands. Except it was way too hardcore and did an R rated job of showing how the advice the writers gave on putting horror adventures together should work in play. The module can possibly best be summed up by the following read-aloud text:

"I am Kaiu Takakana, karo of this castle. That makes me responsible for keeping this court secure. It also makes me responsible for the entire right flank of the Kaiu Wall. If you have any idea what that means, you will not interrupt me unless your need is that great. We have more than three thousand bushi stationed here, so rest assured that if an Oni attacks, we can keep casualties down to less than half your number. That count does not include whenever a bunch of pony samurai whose sole purpose here is to get drunk and chase kimonos start playing with their swords in public. I'll be keeping your katana safely locked away from such miscreants. Any wakizashi I want in your room or on your person at all times.

"If you ever hear a rapidly clanging bell or see a red flare explode outside, do not panic. Gather those you care about and march in a quick but orderly fashion to your room and bar the door. Open it for no one, not even me or Kisada-sama, until you see the green flare. If the flare does not come, stay in that room until spring. If you see a blue flare, which, I should point out, we have never had to launch in the last one thousand years, please line up your loved ones in an orderly fashion and look beneath your futon for a sandalwood case. Inside are three parts of a naginata and a set of instructions. Assemble this naginata. Take a position by the door where there is room enough to swing. Then behead your loved ones, because you don't want them here for what happens next.

"So relax and enjoy your Winter Court."

Ozreth
2011-04-18, 07:50 PM
For D&D, I've got a soft spot for The Keep on the Borderlands. B2 was in the box for my first D&D set and I still think it's a great example of how to make very little info go an enormously long way. It's not so much an adventure as an introductory campaign setting.

Best module ever has to go to Mirror, Mirror, though. This was a Legend of the Five Rings module that was originally going to be published as the companion to Bearers of Jade, the second Book of the Shadowlands. Except it was way too hardcore and did an R rated job of showing how the advice the writers gave on putting horror adventures together should work in play. The module can possibly best be summed up by the following read-aloud text:

Ummmm so is this playable with L5R 4e?

The Big Dice
2011-04-19, 04:33 AM
Ummmm so is this playable with L5R 4e?

I don't see why not. I don't have Enemies of the Empire, so I couldn't say how much effort would have to go into converting the Shadowlands aspect of the game. And I know that the Shadowlands of 1st edition was far more dangerous and subtle than it is now. The NPC situation would need to change too, depending on when your game was set.

So I'd say, with a little effort, yes it could.

Ozreth
2011-04-19, 04:35 AM
I don't see why not. I don't have Enemies of the Empire, so I couldn't say how much effort would have to go into converting the Shadowlands aspect of the game. And I know that the Shadowlands of 1st edition was far more dangerous and subtle than it is now. The NPC situation would need to change too, depending on when your game was set.

So I'd say, with a little effort, yes it could.

Well I've never played the game before but am about to get into 4e and this module sounds awesome. Sounds like I may need to familiarize myself with the game a bit more before attempting to convert it though.

BraveSirKevin
2011-04-20, 06:35 AM
Don't know if it actually counts as a module, as it originally appeared in Dungeon Magazine many years ago, but I really enjoyed the first Challenge Of Champions. The concept did not translate well to 3rd ed though, so the later Challenges weren't too great IMHO.

Another module that I absolutely loved, but have never managed to find again, was a 2nd Ed Dungeons and Dragons Tournament Module that I played at a convention called Tarrasque for Sale. Basically, it worked in two phases. In the first phase your group would construct and populate a dungeon with monsters and traps, buying them off a menu from a set budget with the stated goal of protecting 5 gems from would-be thieves. You could buy the tarrasque, but that would cost your whole budget, and would be pretty boring and defeat the object. Having populated your dungeon, your table's DM would then pack it all into a folder and bugger off to another table, and their DM would come to yours and run the dungeon that they had created. It was bucket loads of fun, and I'd absolutely love to play that again. :)

UserClone
2011-04-21, 07:16 AM
Three Days to Kill (http://www.amazon.com/Three-Days-Kill-Penumbra-D20/dp/1887801944), by John Tynes under the auspices of Atlas Games' "Penumbra" line. It's a really fun departure from your standard dungeon-crawl.

It's a "dirty deals with even dirtier people" adventure done in a Tom-Clancy style reimagining.

The Big Dice
2011-04-21, 10:27 AM
The Necrology trilogy for Cyberpunk, licensed to Ianus games and written by Justin Schmidt. Some of the few things I've seen in roleplaying that have actually handled AI in a believable manner. and managing to mix classic 80s movies in ways that you don't expect.

Undercroft
2011-04-21, 01:32 PM
<3 Castle Ravenloft
Have both the 2e and 3.5e versions. No matter what campaign setting I end up running I still find a way to sneak it in there. 3.5 version is especially nice since you can either take your time doing it as a major part of the campaign by freeing the land and defeating the evil, or do it quickly and skip straight to the castle-raiding vampire-staking portions.

Strahd for president!

Akal Saris
2011-04-22, 08:04 PM

I just read through Mirror, Mirror and it seems really awesome. I'd almost learn L5R just to try and run it.

Acanous
2011-04-22, 09:03 PM
Kingmaker, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Farland are all great moduals :3

The Big Dice
2011-04-23, 07:09 AM
I just read through Mirror, Mirror and it seems really awesome. I'd almost learn L5R just to try and run it.

The three modules the Tastes Like Phoenix crew made are all incredibly good. Fortunes Lost might adapt to other games better than Mirror, Mirror. But all of them are written for 1st edition L5R, which I've got no idea how hard it is to find. But it's easy enough to adapt to 3rd edition. In fact, I did just that, but I can't find the disk with the doc files on anymore :smallfrown:

Sebastrd
2011-04-25, 02:15 PM
I have a soft spot for City of the Spider Queen, but I get the impression that I'm vastly in the minority on that.

ken-do-nim
2011-04-25, 07:08 PM
I have a soft spot for City of the Spider Queen, but I get the impression that I'm vastly in the minority on that.

Where do you get that impression? I've heard lots of people say good things about it, but rarely has anyone ever finished it.