PDA

View Full Version : Adventures With Talky-Man?

ThisIsNotDan
2011-04-18, 01:13 PM
Forgive me for not going through the entire comic/forum archive, but I can't find an obvious answer to this question in the half hour I've dedicated to finding it.

Wasn't the "talky-man" from Thog's adventures Elan, and not Roy? Roy and Thog hardly saw each other at all in that story arc. And I'm assuming the non-traditional panel layout from that story arc is when Thog and Elan jumped from Julio's airship (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html, bottom)? I can't find any adventures with Thog and Roy, period, let alone one with a non-traditional panel layout. What am I missing here?

Mad Mask
2011-04-18, 01:15 PM
Thog is talking about this comic strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html).

Vladislav
2011-04-18, 01:15 PM
No, Elan is "not-Nale", Roy is "talky-man".

Thog refers to the mini-quest in Dorukan's dungeon, the Earth sigil.

Lord Herman
2011-04-18, 01:16 PM
Thog's Adventures with Talky-Man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html)

Edit: Ninja'd!

Jarian
2011-04-18, 01:16 PM
"Talky-man" (possibly not first reference) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0048.html) and non-standard panel layouts. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html)

Edit: That's what I get for bothering to get two links. :smalltongue:

ThisIsNotDan
2011-04-18, 01:26 PM
Wow, that's going back a looooong way. I'd forgotten about that adventure! OK, question answered. Thanks!

martianmister
2011-04-18, 02:07 PM
Real question: How did Roy learn what happened to Earth Sigil? He doesn't seem know about (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0070.html) their doing this. :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2011-04-18, 02:09 PM
In a Dungeon Crawling Fools bonus strip, Celia hands Nale & Thog over to the law, and the death of the Earth and Air Sigil fairies is mentioned.

EDIT: Roy seems to know they "killed her co-workers" as far back as strip 72 though.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0072.html

Morgan Wick
2011-04-19, 03:32 AM
In a Dungeon Crawling Fools bonus strip, Celia hands Nale & Thog over to the law, and the death of the Earth and Air Sigil fairies is mentioned.

...Which Roy isn't there for.

JoseB
2011-04-19, 04:04 AM
...Which Roy isn't there for.

Doesn't matter. In comic #72 (as mentioned above), Roy already knows that the Linear Guild killed Celia's coworkers. So, it must have been mentioned off-panel, or discovered in some way.

factotum
2011-04-19, 06:52 AM
Doesn't matter. In comic #72 (as mentioned above), Roy already knows that the Linear Guild killed Celia's coworkers. So, it must have been mentioned off-panel, or discovered in some way.

I thought it was odd myself--guessing it must have happened in between #70 and #71, since the dialogue in #71 definitely suggests there has been some conversation off-panel between the Order and Celia.

Alex Warlorn
2011-04-19, 11:40 AM
I ENJOY that the Giant isn't ignoring or brushing off Thog's murderers he did under Nale's orders.

Swordpriest
2011-04-20, 02:48 AM
I thought it was odd myself--guessing it must have happened in between #70 and #71, since the dialogue in #71 definitely suggests there has been some conversation off-panel between the Order and Celia.

On the other hand, they don't even know her name until #72. Wouldn't it be a little odd to have a long, detailed conversation that revealed the deaths of her coworkers didn't even involve any mention of names?

Also, how would she know they were dead after being turned to stone before finding out? How could she know without going and checking? And, more importantly, even if she guessed from what Roy reported that they were no longer at their posts, how would she know that they had been killed by the Linear Guild, other than perhaps as random speculation? :smallconfused:

Now that you've pointed it out, the whole sequence makes no logical sense at all. :smallfrown:

Innis Cabal
2011-04-20, 03:57 AM
Don't you think it'd come into conversation any of the times after they started having a relationship?

Dr.Epic
2011-04-20, 04:39 AM
I can't find any adventures with Thog and Roy, period, let alone one with a non-traditional panel layout. What am I missing here?

When they had to touch and find the Earth Sigil in Dorukan's Dungeon.

Also, pretty sure Elan was Not-Nale, not Talky Man.

ThePhantasm
2011-04-20, 04:48 AM

I don't have the book with me at the moment, but

I'm pretty sure there was a bonus strip in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools in which Thog told Celia that he killed the Earth Sylph.

factotum
2011-04-20, 06:59 AM
I don't have the book with me at the moment, but

I'm pretty sure there was a bonus strip in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools in which Thog told Celia that he killed the Earth Sylph.

That bonus strip has Thog confessing to that, yes, but it's clear that Celia already knows at that point--when she turns Nale and Thog over to the guards she says "They killed two of my colleagues" or words to that effect.

I mean, Roy would have known that he and Thog went through the Earth dungeon, he might well have seen the dead fairy (but ignored it assuming Thog had had to kill her), and he and Celia could have put 2 and 2 together during that supposed off-panel discussion between strips #70 and #71--that's the only conclusion that works given the evidence available.

Ancalagon
2011-04-20, 07:09 AM
I also think the conclusion "Roy talks to his girlfriend about stuff" works as well. I assume he has a pretty good understanding about what life was in the Dungeon of Dorukan by now. It's the place where they met under exceptional circumstances etc.

Both are not stupid and I find it unlikely Roy could step over "chopped earth fairy" without noticing anything. He surely put 2 and 2 together afterwards.

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-20, 07:39 AM
{{scrubbed}}

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-22, 12:10 PM
Both are not stupid and I find it unlikely Roy could step over "chopped earth fairy" without noticing anything.
I was under the impression she was an Outsider and poofed away.

Since I don't think it would have come up on New Year's, maybe it came up when they were talking about the afterlife, and Celia mentioned how, being Outsiders, her colleagues/friends are never coming back, barring a True Resurrection.

factotum
2011-04-22, 03:00 PM
I was under the impression she was an Outsider and poofed away.

You can clearly see her face with X's for eyes next to Thog's feet in the next to last panel of #51, so no, she didn't poof.

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-22, 03:18 PM
You can clearly see her face with X's for eyes next to Thog's feet in the next to last panel of #51, so no, she didn't poof.
Who said Outsiders poof immediately? There's enough time to zombify them.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-04-22, 09:17 PM
On the other hand, they don't even know her name until #72. Wouldn't it be a little odd to have a long, detailed conversation that revealed the deaths of her coworkers didn't even involve any mention of names?
At the beginning of #71, Roy already thinks it is “funny” that he didn’t encounter an Earth guardian. Coupled with Elan and Thog giggling, it doesn’t take much to figure things out.

Furthermore, in #71 Roy asks, “Can you think of a reason he’d want to kill you?” and. Celia just jumps the gun and starts talking about her friends as well as herself. So that indicates she had friends that the Linear Guild likely tried to eliminate.

Also, how would she know they were dead after being turned to stone before finding out? How could she know without going and checking? And, more importantly, even if she guessed from what Roy reported that they were no longer at their posts, how would she know that they had been killed by the Linear Guild, other than perhaps as random speculation? :smallconfused:
Yeah, unless Nale and Thog bragged about it off-panel before being gagged, there are some heavy assumptions being made.

Exactly. Just because they can’t be raised doesn’t mean they don’t leave a serviceable body.

factotum
2011-04-23, 02:02 AM

And since Roy was in that panel I mentioned, he would presumably have been able to see the corpse--wasn't your argument that he wouldn't see the corpse because it would have disappeared?

In any case, where does this stuff about "poofing" come from anyway? The only information given in the SRD about this says that an Outsider's soul and body form a single unit, which is why you can't resurrect them--it doesn't say anything about them "poofing" when they die.

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-23, 02:23 AM
In any case, where does this stuff about "poofing" come from anyway? The only information given in the SRD about this says that an Outsider's soul and body form a single unit, which is why you can't resurrect them--it doesn't say anything about them "poofing" when they die.
Celia mentions how Outsiders (at least Inner Planes Outsiders) merge with their home plane. Plus, the celestials Dorukan calls when he uses Gate poofed when they died. And since the SRD says "Creatures who are called actually die when they are killed," I'm guessing poofing is a natural part of death for Outsiders in OOTS.