PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Force a DM's hand.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 04:01 PM
Hello there Playgrounders. I have a question for you, it includes some backstory, so please bare with me.

In the campaign that I am currently in, we are moving very slowly. Last session, we, begrudgingly, signed up for membership in somekind of adventuring company. This little thing has sent us on a couple adventures, these including, finding some old temples and killing some undead in an old castle, but no real story seems to be involved in it.

My friend and I are a little bored with this and want to get something exciting going.

Our plan: Burn and pillage the adventuring company. We want to get in, get stuff we want, blow it to oblivion and get the hell out of there.
Both characters are Chaotic Neutral, so if there is resistance, we won't hesitate to kill.
We don't have a full plan down, yet, but it will get done.
We are just wanting to do something totally unexpected and make the DM do something on the fly, you know, keep him on his toes.

We know this guy well, and believe that he will handle it well, and maybe even look to it as an advantage to the "plot"

So, that is what I have. Any tips, suggestions, thoughts, hates for this?

Haha.

Tech Boy.

gbprime
2011-04-18, 04:10 PM
Before you start, get a membership roster and acquire info on who has the best loot and where it's kept if it's not on someone's person. You might want to abort or come up with another plan on the fly depending on who's likely to defend the place (or hunt you down) if you sack it.

byaku rai
2011-04-18, 04:14 PM
If you have a magic user, find some way to set up magical demolition charges to set off just as you start your assault. Set them up in places where they'll cause a lot of collateral damage, preferably at least some guild casualties. One good idea would be a meeting room or bathroom.

Explosive Runes could work, but the timing would be off. Glyph of Warding with attached fireball has a similar problem...

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-18, 04:17 PM
If you can, try and shift the blame for yourselves.

Bonus points if you manage to blame somebody you don't like.

Douglas
2011-04-18, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a probably foolish and impractical plan to me. This is an adventurers guild you're talking about. It's by definition full of adventurers, many of whom are probably higher level than you. You won't be facing low level mooks who haven't seen much real fighting since boot camp, you'll be facing hardened veterans of dozens of adventures with corresponding XP and gear. Guards can stick around at low levels in cushy jobs with little threat for decades. Adventurers either level up or die.

Realistically I would expect you to get your collective asses handed to you on a silver platter if you tried this, unless you're the highest level members but it doesn't sound like the campaign's been going on long enough to achieve that.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 04:22 PM
If you have a magic user, find some way to set up magical demolition charges to set off just as you start your assault. Set them up in places where they'll cause a lot of collateral damage, preferably at least some guild casualties. One good idea would be a meeting room or bathroom.

Explosive Runes could work, but the timing would be off. Glyph of Warding with attached fireball has a similar problem...

I am a rogue, and my buddy is a druid, if that helps at all.

Redrat2k6
2011-04-18, 04:36 PM
I would create some sort of reason, maybe with your back stories on why you want to sack the adventurers guild.

Try and work with any disgruntled NPC's within the guild and see if any are willing to help you (this also gives the DM a chance to develop challenges and have a say so their isn't a TPK against high level adventurers).

Also, in hand with motive, stealing and being willing to kill those who try and stop you is an evil act not becoming of creatures who wish to retain their neutral status. I would advise learning more about the guild and maybe targeting the more cruel and unjust members, this would also avoid any DM anger about chaotic stupid PC's that may arise (and give him a chance to set up evil guild member encounters).

To be frank, expecting to go in and just steal things and kill those who oppose you is a little reckless, if not bordering on the chaotic stupid. However developing backstory and motive with the DM makes for some excellent roleplaying and battle set ups.

byaku rai
2011-04-18, 04:48 PM
Your buddy is a druid? :smalleek: Have him turn into a bear and beat the crap out of people while you sneak around shanking them. If he has Wild Spell, have him blast stuff. Play your cards right and you can probably win even if you are against higher level characters.

I'd suggest finding the head of the guild, getting him alone, then flanking/SAing him to death while your bear friend pummels him. If he manages to alert any guards, you can either fight or sneak your way out (preferably stopping by the treasury and/or armory). If not, rinse and repeat with anyone else you can find and get alone.

On a side note, this tactic works especially well against spellcasters, especially if you have a good bluff check.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 04:49 PM
I would create some sort of reason, maybe with your back stories on why you want to sack the adventurers guild.

Try and work with any disgruntled NPC's within the guild and see if any are willing to help you (this also gives the DM a chance to develop challenges and have a say so their isn't a TPK against high level adventurers).

Also, in hand with motive, stealing and being willing to kill those who try and stop you is an evil act not becoming of creatures who wish to retain their neutral status. I would advise learning more about the guild and maybe targeting the more cruel and unjust members, this would also avoid any DM anger about chaotic stupid PC's that may arise (and give him a chance to set up evil guild member encounters).

To be frank, expecting to go in and just steal things and kill those who oppose you is a little reckless, if not bordering on the chaotic stupid. However developing backstory and motive with the DM makes for some excellent roleplaying and battle set ups.

On the backstory thing, both characters were developed with committing many crimes against "Tyranny and cruel governments" below there belts. This concept was OK'd with the DM and welcomed with open arms.

With the reckless point, yes. It is totally being reckless, but that is kind of our plan, we want something major to happen. Being tired of little quests, we want him to give us something big.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-18, 05:05 PM
Cheat.

I don't mean cheat out side the game by, but in the context of how fights normally work.
Set explosive charges in places where they'll either kill lots of people, separate them from the good gear or break them up into more manageable groups and blast the place before you even step through the door. Time your attack so key members are either out or just coming back from a big battle with their resources depleted. Consider taking people out on their own before the raid (only if you can do it without getting caught). Have an idea of what items are where that way you can take things mid-fight (rather than having to waiting till everything's sorted to do a thorough clean up) so you can weaken the guild and reenforce yourselves. Consider hiring mooks.

There's probably a list of tvtropes for this sort of thing.

You should also probably except that this is going to be at best a classy kind of evil (you just killed a bunch of people for personal gain).

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 05:22 PM

Your buddy is a druid? :smalleek: Have him turn into a bear and beat the crap out of people while you sneak around shanking them. If he has Wild Spell, have him blast stuff. Play your cards right and you can probably win even if you are against higher level characters.

I'd suggest finding the head of the guild, getting him alone, then flanking/SAing him to death while your bear friend pummels him. If he manages to alert any guards, you can either fight or sneak your way out (preferably stopping by the treasury and/or armory). If not, rinse and repeat with anyone else you can find and get alone.

On a side note, this tactic works especially well against spellcasters, especially if you have a good bluff check.

BRILLIANT You, are awesome.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 05:23 PM
Cheat.

I don't mean cheat out side the game by, but in the context of how fights normally work.
Set explosive charges in places where they'll either kill lots of people, separate them from the good gear or break them up into more manageable groups and blast the place before you even step through the door. Time your attack so key members are either out or just coming back from a big battle with their resources depleted. Consider taking people out on their own before the raid (only if you can do it without getting caught). Have an idea of what items are where that way you can take things mid-fight (rather than having to waiting till everything's sorted to do a thorough clean up) so you can weaken the guild and reenforce yourselves. Consider hiring mooks.

There's probably a list of tvtropes for this sort of thing.

You should also probably except that this is going to be at best a classy kind of evil (you just killed a bunch of people for personal gain).

I like this. :smallcool: It will be used.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 05:31 PM
Something we are needing help on:

Thinking about trying to tunnel into the building. How would we go about keeping our party in the "town" for a few days so that we could tunnel?

power4me
2011-04-18, 05:36 PM
Even if you are chaotic neutral I'm pretty sure murder is still an evil act. Seeing as this is a group of adventurers you are talking about slaughtering, not a band of thieves or assassins the only thing you might force your dm into doing is sending the law after you.

Though that could be fun in its own way.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 06:04 PM
Even if you are chaotic neutral I'm pretty sure murder is still an evil act. Seeing as this is a group of adventurers you are talking about slaughtering, not a band of thieves or assassins the only thing you might force your dm into doing is sending the law after you.

Though that could be fun in its own way.

My thoughts exactly.

Welknair
2011-04-18, 06:04 PM

/agree. Slaughtering those that go around defeating evil-doers is hardly a neutral act. That's evil.

This isn't a simple "We want plot", this is "We want plot and will destroy your world until we get it". I don't know what kind of guy your DM is, but if my players did this I would be more than a little angry. Have you tried just telling him that you're getting bored?

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 06:20 PM
/agree. Slaughtering those that go around defeating evil-doers is hardly a neutral act. That's evil.

This isn't a simple "We want plot", this is "We want plot and will destroy your world until we get it". I don't know what kind of guy your DM is, but if my players did this I would be more than a little angry. Have you tried just telling him that you're getting bored?

We haven't gone to him directly, no, but this will be the second, I think, thing we have destroyed. He seems to hold no passion towards the past things.

nedz
2011-04-18, 06:30 PM
Before you start, get a membership roster and acquire info on who has the best loot and where it's kept if it's not on someone's person. You might want to abort or come up with another plan on the fly depending on who's likely to defend the place (or hunt you down) if you sack it.

Yeah: the members of the Adventuring Guild with the best loot will probably be the best adventurers, who are likely to be a little tougher than you. Thats going to work. They will probably have taken the most precautions also.
If you're a Rogue then you probably should try the stealth approach. The Druid may be able to be stealthy also, however the best cat burglers operate alone so he'd be better as backup.
If you get caught then your probably finished with this outfit; which by the sounds of it will shaft most of your DMs plot hooks. Don't worry about this: your only playing your characters. Obviously his plot hooks weren't very good anyway, so his next ones will be better.
Don't be suprised if your party gets the job of tracking down who done it. That should be hilarious.

Bon Chance.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 06:34 PM
Yeah: the members of the Adventuring Guild with the best loot will probably be the best adventurers, who are likely to be a little tougher than you. Thats going to work. They will probably have taken the most precautions also.
If you're a Rogue then you probably should try the stealth approach. The Druid may be able to be stealthy also, however the best cat burglers operate alone so he'd be better as backup.
If you get caught then your probably finished with this outfit; which by the sounds of it will shaft most of your DMs plot hooks. Don't worry about this: your only playing your characters. Obviously his plot hooks weren't very good anyway, so his next ones will be better.
Don't be suprised if your party gets the job of tracking down who done it. That should be hilarious.

Bon Chance.

Thank you my good sir!

Flame of Anor
2011-04-18, 06:41 PM
That sounds like you could get some good ("good" in the sense of "fun for the players") results, but don't delude yourselves into thinking your characters aren't Chaotic Evil.

Tech Boy
2011-04-18, 06:42 PM
That sounds like you could get some good ("good" in the sense of "fun for the players") results, but don't delude yourselves into thinking your characters aren't Chaotic Evil.

We aren't running an alignment heavy campaign. Haha.

gbprime
2011-04-18, 09:55 PM
Thinking about trying to tunnel into the building. How would we go about keeping our party in the "town" for a few days so that we could tunnel?

I assume that when you say "we could tunnel" what you really mean is that the druid is getting Dire Badgers to do the tunneling FOR you, with Thoqqua used for the tough parts, yes?

If you need a reason to stay in town longer, the druid could always be teaching his animal companion new tricks (whether he is or not). And depending on your gaming group, one or more of the PC's could claim to be hanging around for a few extra helpings of strumpet. Very believable for an adventurer with a lot of spare coin. :smallwink:

Jay R
2011-04-18, 11:04 PM
Three bits of advice:

1. If a rogue just joined my adventuring company grudgingly, he'd be being watched carefully. I expect 30 archers aiming at you right when you start. Plan accordingly.

2. Make sure you know where you're going to run at the end, because, win or lose, you will be target number one for all adventurers for 100 miles in all directions.

3. Start designing your next characters now, so you'll be ready to go.

WildPyre
2011-04-18, 11:06 PM
I'd talk to your DM and tell him about your complaints. What you're pretty much saying is "We're not having fun, so we're just going to start destroying the game."

It might give you a bit of short term enjoyment, but you might also upset the DM and then what happens? Do you really think trying to make the DM angry will solve the problem?

Take the mature route and talk to your DM calmly and rationally, discussing what you want out of the game and why you're not having fun.

Morghen
2011-04-19, 12:08 AM
You will need more than two dudes. Probably a couple of arcane casters and some low-level grunts.

1. Mass poison. Meal time. It doesn't even have to be lethal. Maybe just a paralytic/sleep poison so you can walk through and off them at your leisure.
2. Tunnel under the Hall. Fill the tunnel with something explosive (Greek Fire?). Collapse the tunnel. Web the trench. Fireball the trench. The grunts you hired can set about killing any survivors as they climb out of the trench. If the survivors don't climb out, Fireball them again.
3. Knife people in their sleep.
4. Wall of Force/Stone along an entire wall of the outside should let you funnel people toward whatever exit you like (where your people are waiting with Wall of Fire/Fireball/Caltrops/more grunts).

What system are you playing?
What level are your characters?

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 06:08 AM
You will need more than two dudes. Probably a couple of arcane casters and some low-level grunts.

1. Mass poison. Meal time. It doesn't even have to be lethal. Maybe just a paralytic/sleep poison so you can walk through and off them at your leisure.
2. Tunnel under the Hall. Fill the tunnel with something explosive (Greek Fire?). Collapse the tunnel. Web the trench. Fireball the trench. The grunts you hired can set about killing any survivors as they climb out of the trench. If the survivors don't climb out, Fireball them again.
3. Knife people in their sleep.
4. Wall of Force/Stone along an entire wall of the outside should let you funnel people toward whatever exit you like (where your people are waiting with Wall of Fire/Fireball/Caltrops/more grunts).

What system are you playing?
What level are your characters?

We are in Pathfinder.
Level 4's :)

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 06:10 AM
Three bits of advice:

1. If a rogue just joined my adventuring company grudgingly, he'd be being watched carefully. I expect 30 archers aiming at you right when you start. Plan accordingly.

2. Make sure you know where you're going to run at the end, because, win or lose, you will be target number one for all adventurers for 100 miles in all directions.

3. Start designing your next characters now, so you'll be ready to go.

Thank you my good sir.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 06:13 AM
I assume that when you say "we could tunnel" what you really mean is that the druid is getting Dire Badgers to do the tunneling FOR you, with Thoqqua used for the tough parts, yes?

If you need a reason to stay in town longer, the druid could always be teaching his animal companion new tricks (whether he is or not). And depending on your gaming group, one or more of the PC's could claim to be hanging around for a few extra helpings of strumpet. Very believable for an adventurer with a lot of spare coin. :smallwink:

YES.
This could do it, or get us closer....

Jornophelanthas
2011-04-19, 06:18 AM
TALK TO THE DM ALREADY.

You keep saying things like "We want to keep the DM on his toes" or "He'll think it's fun too". You are making assumptions. Assumptions can be wrong. You don't know how much time and effort the DM has put into building this adventurer's guild, and what his plans are for the future.

You have an out-of-game problem, and you are about to address with in-game actions. That never works.

The DM probably doesn't know that you are bored by the game. If you start wrecking his setting and plot, he'll probably have no idea why you did that. Tell him you are bored, and he can make changes.

Would you like it if your DM had a boulder fall on your character, killing him instantly, and say "Well, I got bored with your character, so I got rid of him." Just saying.

Grogmir
2011-04-19, 06:33 AM
"Both characters are Chaotic Neutral, so if there is resistance, we won't hesitate to kill."

Cough - Try Chaotic Evil.

And I think you're wrong if you think the DM will find this 'fun'.

NEVER EVER solve out of game problems (you're not enjoying the game) with IN GAME solutions.

Morghen
2011-04-19, 07:02 AM
The people telling you that killing townspeople makes you CE are incorrect. Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Chaotic_Neutr al).

Another important thing to remember:

Opponents burn. Good magic doesn't burn.

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-04-19, 07:32 AM
+1 for talking to the DM to see if s/he has a longer term plan for plot - and to let her/him prepare for the exciting session if/when you do trash the Adventurer's Guild.
+1 for "Killing a load of people and stealing their stuff is evil."

@ Morghen: citation needed. :smallwink:

You can get a lot of good gaming out of being proactive criminals trying to loot the authorities and whatnot - but you need your DM to be ready for it. If your DM isn't into the idea, you're likely to just get the smackdown. Remember, the DM can summon all the world to unite and take you down - or just have rocks fall.

Morghen
2011-04-19, 08:25 AM
@ Morghen: citation needed. :smallwink:What? I did link to a source. Unless you're commenting on how Wikipedia is unreliable, I don't know what's going on.

Here's a DnD wiki: Link (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Chaotic_Neutral).

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-04-19, 08:42 AM
What? I did link to a source. Unless you're commenting on how Wikipedia is unreliable, I don't know what's going on.

Here's a DnD wiki: Link (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Chaotic_Neutral).I meant that the Wikipedia page you linked to is specifically highlighted as having multiple issues - including lack of citations.

And the new link you've posted is to another wiki...

I think this is what you want, really: Alignment and Description (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Description.rtf)

In any case, the alignment description does not support extended, planned acts of evil (property destruction, murder, theft).

Jay R
2011-04-19, 09:24 AM
What? I did link to a source. Unless you're commenting on how Wikipedia is unreliable, I don't know what's going on.

No, you did not link to a source, and you don't know what's going on. The issue is independent of how reliable Wikipedia is. It's been horribly unreliable in the past; it's gotten much better in most (not all) areas. But either way, Wikipedia is not a source.

A source is where information comes from. Wikipedia is where people put things they got from sources. Wikipedia is not a source for information, just as your dice bag is not a gaming store.

The only source for D&D alignment rules is D&D rules from WotC. Anything else is an interpretation, not a source.

gbprime
2011-04-19, 09:30 AM
The people telling you that killing townspeople makes you CE are incorrect.

Forget the link for a minute. You're supporting the idea that killing townsfolk is not an evil act? Based on a technicality or a philosophy?

Morghen
2011-04-19, 10:02 AM
Alignment and Description (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Description.rtf)The text of what you linked to: A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.
Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society’s restrictions and a do-gooder’s zeal.

My second link:A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.
Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society’s restrictions and a do-gooder’s zeal.

What's the problem, exactly?

You don't know what's going on.Careful. You'll hurt my feelings.

Forget the link for a minute. You're supporting the idea that killing townsfolk is not an evil act? Based on a technicality or a philosophy?Killing townsfolk is evil. It doesn't make you Chaotic Evil.

Kylarra
2011-04-19, 10:32 AM
Well in this case, it makes the players Chaotic Stupid (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChaoticStupid)*.

"We're bored, so we're gonna wreck the plot and kill these random people. Our DM will think this is a great idea, really."

*Obligatory tropes warning.

Master_Rahl22
2011-04-19, 10:52 AM
I will fourth or fifth the suggestion that you talk to the DM before you try to "force his hand." What if the Adventurer's Guild is where all future plot is going to come from but you had to do some easy quests first so they know you're reliable? What if he just gets mad that you decided to destroy the game instead of being mature and talking to him? What if he pulls a "Rocks fall, everyone dies" when he doesn't like how your characters are acting? Talk to him outside the game first.

Murphy80
2011-04-19, 12:14 PM
How will the rest of the party respond In-character and Out-of-Character?

Talk to the DM. +1

And if you are so bored and want to crash the campaign, why not just ask for a Deck of Many Things. Then the other players will (probably) blame you less. Seriously, what you are proposing is a bad idea.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-19, 12:57 PM
Personally, if I were dming and you were to pull this on me I'd love it. That said you probably should give your dm a heads up, if for no other reason than so he can have a response prepared.

If you intend to tunel under the guild I'd actualy recommend not using it as an entrance. You're members, or near enough, you can use the front door, and using anything else will just tip your hand early. I would use the tunnel to either deliver mooks so you can walk in the front and pretend to be reinforcements till you commence the back stabbing or sapp the foundation so you can open by collapsing the whole building. If you can finds some ways to mitigate the effects on you and your allies some eversmoking bottles might be useful (especially indoors), since it'll give you extra cover and help with backstabing.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 02:54 PM
Guys, we are not doing this as an act of HATRED for the DM! We know this guy personally, and he is a good friend.

It's not anything personal!

As I mentioned before, we have taken his plot on a roller coaster in segments of the last sessions. He personally told us that he liked it.

ka_bna
2011-04-19, 03:04 PM
Watch Ocean's 11 - 13.
Make sure you know the lay-out of the target building.
Know how the enemies/walking lootbags wil react
Have an escape plan. How will you get out? (Blowing everything up is indeed a valid plan)
Have a plan B
Have a plan C
Know when you need help and from whom.

LansXero
2011-04-19, 03:10 PM
Watch Ocean's 11 - 13.
[/LIST]

Id say the bank job (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200465/)would be better. More interesting if there were actual consequences to their actions, at least. Although, you must consider that just because you dont mean it to be personal it doesnt mean he wont take it personally. Whats so hard about: "Hey, we are kinda bored of the silly easy missions, so we are gonna blow up the guild to shake things up. You cool with that? Great, lets see what you come up with for us :D"

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 03:10 PM
Watch Ocean's 11 - 13.
Have an escape plan. How will you get out? (Blowing everything up is indeed a valid plan)
Have a plan B
Have a plan C

You sir, have just filled my evening with things to do. :smallbiggrin:

gbprime
2011-04-19, 03:17 PM
Watch Ocean's 11 - 13.

Please, these are PCs. Watch The Ladykillers instead. :smallbiggrin:

Either version. Tom Hanks is brilliant of course, but it's a remake of Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers, and it's hard to top them.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 03:25 PM
Id say the bank job (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200465/)would be better. More interesting if there were actual consequences to their actions, at least. Although, you must consider that just because you dont mean it to be personal it doesnt mean he wont take it personally. Whats so hard about: "Hey, we are kinda bored of the silly easy missions, so we are gonna blow up the guild to shake things up. You cool with that? Great, lets see what you come up with for us :D"

BRILLIANT.

Murphy80
2011-04-19, 03:33 PM
Guys, we are not doing this as an act of HATRED for the DM! We know this guy personally, and he is a good friend.

It's not anything personal!

As I mentioned before, we have taken his plot on a roller coaster in segments of the last sessions. He personally told us that he liked it.

Just because you aren't doing this out of hate*and its "not anything personal" , doesn't mean it's a good idea. Now I don't know you or the DM, or what kind of a good friend he is. But if you tried something like this without talking to me first, I would wonder if we really are good friends. Taking his plot on a roller coaster is 1 thing. I've had players change the direction of my plots with strange plans and responses. But planning a potentially campaign breaking stunt and springing it on him as a surprise is another.

*Hate is a very strong word, and I find it interesting that your interpretation of our responses (those saying "talk to the DM/it's a bad idea") leads you to it.

Questions;
- what are the other players playing?
(So we can try to judge what In-character reaction they might have.)
- how have you "taken his plot on a roller coaster"?
(So we can compare these proposed plans with what you are comparing them to.)

Kylarra
2011-04-19, 03:39 PM
If he's a good friend, why is talking to him about you not having fun such a big deal?

Sipex
2011-04-19, 03:47 PM
I have a question which I don't think has been addressed yet.

What about the other PCs? Are there any others?

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 03:53 PM
If he's a good friend, why is talking to him about you not having fun such a big deal?

Haha, we like to talk to him in more fun forms.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 03:54 PM
I have a question which I don't think has been addressed yet.

What about the other PCs? Are there any others?

There are 4 others.

We plan on keeping them out of it.

Kylarra
2011-04-19, 03:58 PM
There are 4 others.

We plan on keeping them out of it.:smallannoyed:Yeah this is going to end well.

"Hey DM, 1/3 of your group doesn't like the game and can't be bothered to actually tell you this, so they're going to ruin the game for everyone else while you deal with their shenanananananigans. "

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-19, 03:58 PM
Watch Ocean's 11 - 13.
Have a plan B
Have a plan C

You might want to add Snatched to that list.
Or, if you don't mind anime Lupin III might be worth a look.

Sipex
2011-04-19, 03:59 PM
Okay, some questions about them then.

1) How do you think they'll react? I mean, OOC when they're sitting there unable to do anything?

2) How do you think they'll react IC?

I'm just saying, you don't want to be THOSE GUYS right? You know:

"So they did it again. Our party druid and rogue, after joining the adventurers guild, completely destroyed it without telling any of us and the DM just let it happen! Really!"

nedz
2011-04-19, 04:23 PM
You're perfectly entitled to do this, however:

I've had players do this to me, as a DM, on a much bigger scale.
<short version>2 players kept the rest of the party waiting around unable to do anything, for continuity reasons, for 4 days. Thats 4 days IRL. Then they gave up, undid their damage, and bailed out of the party (IC).<\short version>
The long version was more than a little epic, but everyone else was more than a little non plussed.

Now I've had one player go off on an individual power up mission a few times. This ones easy: they meet a CR inappropriate monster, ideally one that they think they can solo. Players do this once.:smallcool:

Now spin this around and involve the WHOLE party, then its a different ball game. I'm not even suggesting you tell the DM - that would only spoil his fun.

This game is a group experience - or its quite dull for much of the time.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 04:42 PM
Just because you aren't doing this out of hate*and its "not anything personal" , doesn't mean it's a good idea. Now I don't know you or the DM, or what kind of a good friend he is. But if you tried something like this without talking to me first, I would wonder if we really are good friends. Taking his plot on a roller coaster is 1 thing. I've had players change the direction of my plots with strange plans and responses. But planning a potentially campaign breaking stunt and springing it on him as a surprise is another.

*Hate is a very strong word, and I find it interesting that your interpretation of our responses (those saying "talk to the DM/it's a bad idea") leads you to it.

Questions;
- what are the other players playing?
(So we can try to judge what In-character reaction they might have.)
- how have you "taken his plot on a roller coaster"?
(So we can compare these proposed plans with what you are comparing them to.)

We've got:
Werewolf fighter
Angelic ( Something like that) Ranger
Halfling Inquisitor
Halfling Cleric.

In the past: Went willing to the nation that we had previously attacked by killing a government officials. -He had to make it all up on the fly.

I offered myself up for death to get the party out of the bind of being caught in said country.

I dared enter a sand trap and get the loot, got out by wit and threw him off once again.

Yes, these may not be to the scale of this recent plan. Yes, this may seem very stupid. Yes yes yes.

It's how we roll. :smallsmile:

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 04:43 PM
:smallannoyed:Yeah this is going to end well.

"Hey DM, 1/3 of your group doesn't like the game and can't be bothered to actually tell you this, so they're going to ruin the game for everyone else while you deal with their shenanananananigans. "

This is far from ruining the game!

We have plans for nearly every scenerio, included in this are "DM stops us mid track"

It'll be fine.

Murphy80
2011-04-19, 05:35 PM
We've got:
Werewolf fighter
Halfling Inquisitor
Halfling Cleric.
Wacky. Alignments or a brief description would have been helpfull. The werewolf fighter SOUNDS evil and the Angelic ranger SOUNDS good, but maybe not. Basically, why are you wanting to keep the others out of it? Are they Goody-goodies and will ruin the "fun". Greed, you want it for yourselves. Why?

In the past: Went willing to the nation that we had previously attacked by killing a government officials. -He had to make it all up on the fly.

I offered myself up for death to get the party out of the bind of being caught in said country.

I dared enter a sand trap and get the loot, got out by wit and threw him off once again.
These sound like typical player stuff to me, but the details are scarce, so it's hard to judge.

My DM sense (like spidermans spidey sense) is start to ring. I don't know you or your group, so maybe you are correct and it is fine. But my experience tells me that odds are, this won't end well.

You need to tell the DM your plans and get the rest of the group to help.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 08:58 PM
Wacky. Alignments or a brief description would have been helpfull. The werewolf fighter SOUNDS evil and the Angelic ranger SOUNDS good, but maybe not. Basically, why are you wanting to keep the others out of it? Are they Goody-goodies and will ruin the "fun". Greed, you want it for yourselves. Why?

These sound like typical player stuff to me, but the details are scarce, so it's hard to judge.

My DM sense (like spidermans spidey sense) is start to ring. I don't know you or your group, so maybe you are correct and it is fine. But my experience tells me that odds are, this won't end well.

You need to tell the DM your plans and get the rest of the group to help.

All, I believe are somekind of lawful good. I think. This is in no way set in stone. The werewolf is somehow a prince, soon to be king of some country.
Ranger is godly good.
And the halfling twins are very conscious of being goody goodies.

So yeah, it's because they will spoil it. I think.

Kylarra
2011-04-19, 09:02 PM
So to sum up, you are two Chaotic evil Neutral characters looking to randomly murder their employers and associates out of boredom. This represents 1/3 of a group that is otherwise good. You are deliberately excluding the other 2/3 of the group from your actions. Somehow you see this as a good thing.

SuperFish
2011-04-19, 10:05 PM
This will end in sorrow.

Tech Boy
2011-04-19, 10:09 PM
So to sum up, you are two Chaotic evil Neutral characters looking to randomly murder their employers and associates out of boredom. This represents 1/3 of a group that is otherwise good. You are deliberately excluding the other 2/3 of the group from your actions. Somehow you see this as a good thing.

Don't see it as a good thing, we see it as a fun thing.

Our characters, our choices.

We have the ability to learn from "mistakes".

Live and let learn.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-19, 10:35 PM
I'm just going to point out that unless you two are Oceans good or better this will probably end in PvP.

Kylarra
2011-04-19, 11:01 PM
Don't see it as a good thing, we see it as a fun thing.

Our characters, our choices.

We have the ability to learn from "mistakes".

Live and let learn.This is why I don't allow people to play CN in my games.

DaragosKitsune
2011-04-19, 11:06 PM
I'm just going to point out that unless you two are Oceans good or better this will probably end in PvP.

My 2cp.

Less briefly, think of it this way. You've got two psychopaths (and lets face it, these are the actions of psychopaths) and four people who end violent psychopaths for the safety of all. Your plan is to walk in (maybe with some backup) to a heavily guarded building filled with other people who also end such threats, some of which vastly out power you. Perhaps you'll use some kind of trap or surprise, but these are some jaded individuals. You won't scare them, most of these people have seen friends die in front of them. You then plan to start killing anyone who tries to stop you from looting and destroying said building. You are basically two teenagers with knives trying to loot and sack a veteran's hall. You are screwed.

WildPyre
2011-04-19, 11:22 PM
This is why I don't allow people to play CN in my games.

Funny enough, this is why I don't allow CE.

Kylarra
2011-04-19, 11:24 PM
Funny enough, this is why I don't allow CE.CN is what people play when you tell them not to be ebil.

Weasel of Doom
2011-04-20, 12:32 AM
I think this is a bad idea both in and out of character.

I'd assume that a guild of adventurers would be composed of people who make a living killing other people, not a group that I'd want to piss off. Sure they have a lot of treasure but I imagine most of that is in the form of weapons, weapons they use to kill people. Not only that but they know they have a lot of treasure AND most of them probably have lot of enemies so they're prepared for thieves and assassins. Logically you should get your asses handed to you.

More importantly I don't know how well this is going to go down with the other pcs. You're specifically hiding your plans from them because you don't think they'd enjoy it if you told them beforehand, what makes you think they'll enjoy you springing it on them? It's possible that this'll all work out fine but it looks like you'll just piss everyone off. Unless you really think they'll enjoy it (in which case you don't need to hide it) don't be ****.

The people telling you that killing townspeople makes you CE are incorrect. Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Chaotic_Neutr al).

No, they're evil. SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#goodVsEvil)

""Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient."
"People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent"

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-04-20, 04:07 AM
The text of what you linked to: A chaotic neutral character ...blah blah blah...
My second link:... the same

What's the problem, exactly?
When you're supporting an argument by citing a third party, that third party needs to be relaible.
My link went to the WotC SRD, while yours went to a Wiki. WotC are the originators of the rules, and thus the highest authority. Wikis are not considered reliable, by Wikipedia's own standards.
That's all.

Also, it is generally accepted that killing one person isn't enough to make you Evil.
Stealing once isn't enough to make you Evil.
But maybe planning the killing of a whole bunch of people in order to steal their stuff because you're bored... maybe that's enough to move you to CE.

Jornophelanthas
2011-04-20, 05:56 AM
I don't think the OP is willing to take any advice about how bad his plan is for the gaming group.

Basically, anyone who disagrees with the plan, does not enjoy "fun". Besides, "it's what his character would do".

Regarding "fun":
Two persons' fun does not outweigh the fun of 4 or 5 other people.

Regarding "my character, my decision":
This is the single most frequently used excuse to do ruin other people's fun. Ruining other people's fun is bad. Roleplaying is about everyone having a good time.

I am withdrawing from this discussion. The game will end badly, and this forum will have no impact on that. Just remember my "I told you so", for when the whole thing blows up.

Tech Boy
2011-04-20, 06:17 AM
Ok! I'm crazy! I'm a terrible gamer and I should not be let out of my house to play D&D with anyone.

Haha.

Still going to try it.

Sorry to dissapoint.

Jornophelanthas
2011-04-20, 06:37 AM
Ok! I'm crazy! I'm a terrible gamer and I should not be let out of my house to play D&D with anyone.

Haha.

Still going to try it.

Sorry to dissapoint.

I don't think you're crazy, or a terrible gamer. I just believe you're acting on assumptions about the DM and other players that are overly optimistic.

You know your fellow players better than anyone else on this forum, but players generally don't like it if they are kept out of the action, especially if they have to sit and wait for an hour or longer, and the action goes against the interests of their characters.

You know your DM better than anyone else on this forum, but DMs don't always like it when players actively try to destroy their setting without warning. And even if your DM likes being surprised in this way (like you claim), he/she may not like it if four other players become bored or upset about it.

There, now I'm really gone.

Daimbert
2011-04-20, 06:57 AM
The problem is that this is different than the other cases, because of WHY you're doing it. You're doing it because you think the game is going slowly and you don't know what the plot is, and so you want to kickstart the game. Doing so by potentially removing a main plot component -- and, remember, you don't actually KNOW what the plot is, as that's your complaint -- isn't likely to kickstart the plot. It's likely to slow it down as the DM has to adjust for it. And if when asked why you did this you reply "We thought the game was going too slowly", I very much suspect you will get this from the DM and the rest of the group: So why didn't you just SAY that?

Again, it's different to come up with creative and unexpected ideas while in the main plot for the DM to have to react to them than it is to do it because you don't know what the plot is and are getting bored. Talk to the DM if you're getting bored, and talk to the other players.

Here's another thing to consider: what if you're getting bored, but the other players aren't? What if they're really enjoying this part of the game? You derail it while keeping them out of it and they aren't going to be happy about trading the thing they liked for the thing that bores them because they can't participate.

I guess it comes down to this: if you want to do this just because you think it would be cool, then go for it. But don't use the excuse of trying to kickstart the DM's plot or whatever. If that's really your concern, this is an absolutely disastrous way to try to do that.

Tech Boy
2011-04-20, 09:53 AM
EDIT: Due to all of these posts, we have revamped the plan.

We are just going to do some arson here and there for now.

Raiding a heavily guarded building by force is foolish.
We will save it for a higher level .:smalltongue:

Sipex
2011-04-20, 10:07 AM
I will state this to end things.

Unless we're severely wrong about your group (maybe they're all like this and enjoy this, who knows?) this sort of stuff is eventually going to piss them off if it hasn't.

And then you might be playing a 2 player campaign or not at all depending on how your DM swings.

Sebastrd
2011-04-20, 10:45 AM
stuff...

From your link:

Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. They do not work well in groups, as they resent being given orders, and usually behave themselves only out of fear of punishment.

Sounds like Chaotic Evil to me...

Grogmir
2011-04-20, 10:50 AM
"We have the ability to learn from "mistakes".

That just makes you wise. what makes you human is the ability to rationalise you behavious before you do it.

Anyway - you've decided now.

Might as well just report back once the deed is done.

Happy Rollin'

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-20, 12:16 PM
EDIT: Due to all of these posts, we have revamped the plan.

We are just going to do some arson here and there for now.

We will save it for a higher level .:smalltongue:

I would like to warn that random violence and arson tend to get old allot faster that well orchestrated heists.
You don't really want to be playing up the whole violent hobo thing to much.

Murphy80
2011-04-20, 01:00 PM
We will save it for a higher level .

Yes, yes it is.

So, are you going to talk with your DM about your boredom? That is a legitimate problem you have that has been overshadowed by the discussion of your previous plans.

In the campaign that I am currently in, we are moving very slowly. Last session, we, begrudgingly, signed up for membership in somekind of adventuring company. This little thing has sent us on a couple adventures, these including, finding some old temples and killing some undead in an old castle, but no real story seems to be involved in it.

My friend and I are a little bored with this and want to get something exciting going.
On the backstory thing, both characters were developed with committing many crimes against "Tyranny and cruel governments" below there belts. This concept was OK'd with the DM and welcomed with open arms.
It sounds like you didn't want to join the Adventuring Company, why did you?

We've got:
Werewolf fighter
Halfling Inquisitor
Halfling Cleric.

So, why are you bored?
- lack of plot/story?
- lack of or boring combats?
- the story isn't about or interesting to my character?
- the rest of the group is interfering in my fun?

Lord Vampyre
2011-04-20, 02:30 PM
My personal advice:

If you do try to do this when you get to a higher level, and you know you're going to be keeping the other 2/3 of the party out of it. Schedule some time with the DM outside of the regular game. You don't need to tell him what you're planning, just let him know that the two of you are wanting to do some outside RP, that won't involve the rest of the group. This will keep you from pissing off everyone at the gaming table by usurping their gaming time.

Even better, the 2 of you skip your normal gaming time with the DM. You tell the DM that during one of your character's turns at watch, you both leave and head back to town. This way, you will be sure that the others won't be there to ruin your characters' fun. When they arrive back in town, they find the adventuring hall ransacked with everyone either missing or dead.

Now, when everything is said and done. It will most likely have the rest of your party being hired to track you down, and bring you to justice.

Everyone will be grateful that you did outside the normal game time. They will probably even find tracking down your characters an interesting plot twist. What would be even better is if the two of you infiltrated your former party posing as different character's and "helped" them to track yourselves down. This would be possible when the druid gets the Thousand Faces ability, and you get something that helps you with your Disguise skill.

Tech Boy
2011-04-20, 02:44 PM
Yes, yes it is.

So, are you going to talk with your DM about your boredom? That is a legitimate problem you have that has been overshadowed by the discussion of your previous plans.

It sounds like you didn't want to join the Adventuring Company, why did you?

So, why are you bored?
- lack of plot/story?
- lack of or boring combats?
- the story isn't about or interesting to my character?
- the rest of the group is interfering in my fun?

We were forced in part by our overbearing party members and the Dm needing us to sign up.

Sipex
2011-04-20, 02:50 PM
What kind of plot are you looking for? It sounds like you two aren't interested in the same game as the rest of your party.

Also, off tangent, but I'm guessing that the DM, yourself and the druid are all very close while the other four players are either players the DM recruited or friends of his? Am I right?

Jolly
2011-04-20, 02:59 PM
If 2 (out of six) people in a group I was in did something that would 1. radically steal the spotlight, exclude the other 4 people for extended periods of time, and change the campaign 2. force PvP and break the group 3. all by surprise, I wouldn't be angry. I'd just stop gaming with those two people. It's a serious jerk move, no matter when you start doing it. I gotta tell you, as both a player and a DM pulling this stunt would be grounds for either an immediate and serious "wth is wrong with you?" talk, or just cutting off contact entirely.

Now, it sounds like you have a character who is horribly ill suited to the party, as well as the classic "chaotic neutral is chaotic evil who also happens to like bunnies" schtick. Perhaps you need to reroll a character who isn't chaotic stupid so you can have fun without making 4-5 other people deal with foolish shenanigans?

Out of curiousity, how old are you irl?

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-20, 03:26 PM
If 2 (out of six) people in a group I was in did something that would 1. radically steal the spotlight, exclude the other 4 people for extended periods of time, and change the campaign 2. force PvP and break the group 3. all by surprise, I wouldn't be angry. I'd just stop gaming with those two people. It's a serious jerk move, no matter when you start doing it. I gotta tell you, as both a player and a DM pulling this stunt would be grounds for either an immediate and serious "wth is wrong with you?" talk, or just cutting off contact entirely.

Now, it sounds like you have a character who is horribly ill suited to the party, as well as the classic "chaotic neutral is chaotic evil who also happens to like bunnies" schtick. Perhaps you need to reroll a character who isn't chaotic stupid so you can have fun without making 4-5 other people deal with foolish shenanigans?

Out of curiousity, how old are you irl?

I think that's a bit extreme. Honestly, as a player or dm I don't think I'd have much of a problem with this if the initiators realized there might be consequences for there actions, which include death by npc, death by pvp, being made npcs and other variations on you're now playing on the other team. That said I would recommend having both back up plans and characters.

Also, while these actions certainly aren't neutral they don't seem like chaotic stupid (or at-least the heist didn't, randomly burning stuff does). There are plenty of archetypes that might do that and it does provide lots of potentially fun opportunities.

Jolly
2011-04-20, 03:34 PM
Anytime a subset of the group does something that will radically alter things and hog the spotlight for themselves, without telling the other players and DM, that is grounds for dismissal/rocks fall everyone dies in my book. It's a co-operative game, not a "Hey, I'm CN I think I'll slit the rest of the parties throats and take their stuff tonight on watch just for the lulz" game.

Aside from the IRL spotlight stealing issue, the IRL lack of communication issue, and the in-game attacking the people who employ the rest of the party issue... just doing something like this as a surprise is not acceptable to me.

Hawriel
2011-04-20, 03:51 PM
CN is what people play when you tell them not to be ebil.

I want to creat a halfing, gnome, or dwarf character named Ebil now. Insparation ware you find it! :smallbiggrin:

Ok basicly the OP does not want to talk to his friend (his word) that is DMing about a problem he has with the game. Some thing about not having a plot when he doesnt want to pay attention and figure it out for himself. He is also playing a charotic douche allined character.

His solution is to 'force the DM's hand' (read teach him a lesson) and slaughter every NPC to force a plot. Honestly I dont think the OP cares a wit about plot and just wants to hack and slash. Him and his friend are going to run amoke with the sole perpose to ruine the game. All the wile completly ignoring the honest sociable advice about a civil discution.

Quite frankly the OP didnt want advice on how to talk to his DM he wanted justifacation to be a jerk at the gaming table and ideas on how to do it. Which also had ideas given to do so.

This is an example of a person I would never want at my gaming table.

Edit. Any bets on how the OP will react to the consiquences of his plan?

Daimbert
2011-04-20, 05:45 PM
We were forced in part by our overbearing party members and the Dm needing us to sign up.

So, if that's the case, the best way to push things forward in game and in character for your characters is to simply refuse to keep going. After your next mission, confront your party members and the guild and say that you aren't going to participate in any more errands until you're told what you get out of it. You aren't going to be the errand boys for this organization anymore. This is in-character, includes all the party members, and forces the issue by making it clear that your characters are as bored of this as you seem to be. If you don't want to bring it up OOC, this is the sanest way to bring it up IC.

Tech Boy
2011-04-20, 08:47 PM
So, if that's the case, the best way to push things forward in game and in character for your characters is to simply refuse to keep going. After your next mission, confront your party members and the guild and say that you aren't going to participate in any more errands until you're told what you get out of it. You aren't going to be the errand boys for this organization anymore. This is in-character, includes all the party members, and forces the issue by making it clear that your characters are as bored of this as you seem to be. If you don't want to bring it up OOC, this is the sanest way to bring it up IC.

Thank you my good sir.

Also, I choose not to reveal my age over the internets.

Tech Boy
2011-04-20, 08:49 PM
I want to creat a halfing, gnome, or dwarf character named Ebil now. Insparation ware you find it! :smallbiggrin:

Ok basicly the OP does not want to talk to his friend (his word) that is DMing about a problem he has with the game. Some thing about not having a plot when he doesnt want to pay attention and figure it out for himself. He is also playing a charotic douche allined character.

His solution is to 'force the DM's hand' (read teach him a lesson) and slaughter every NPC to force a plot. Honestly I dont think the OP cares a wit about plot and just wants to hack and slash. Him and his friend are going to run amoke with the sole perpose to ruine the game. All the wile completly ignoring the honest sociable advice about a civil discution.

Quite frankly the OP didnt want advice on how to talk to his DM he wanted justifacation to be a jerk at the gaming table and ideas on how to do it. Which also had ideas given to do so.

This is an example of a person I would never want at my gaming table.

Edit. Any bets on how the OP will react to the consiquences of his plan?

I want consequences. Tired of being the Goody two shoes party.

DaragosKitsune
2011-04-21, 01:34 AM
Oh, Good has consequences too. At least, it does with an effective DM. Good should rarely be the easiest road, and should often be the hardest.

Jolly
2011-04-21, 02:17 AM
Thank you my good sir.

Also, I choose not to reveal my age over the internets.

Yeah, if I was 14 I wouldn't either. At least your behavior is age appropriate. Childish rudeness is much easier to tolerate in actual children.

Morghen
2011-04-21, 04:50 AM
Yeah, if I was 14 I wouldn't either. At least your behavior is age appropriate. Childish rudeness is much easier to tolerate in actual children.My favorite part is where your sig says you're "easy-going".

Sebastrd
2011-04-21, 07:48 AM
My favorite part is where your sig says you're "easy-going".

I take it you're the second half of Tech Boy's dynamic duo?

Sebastrd
2011-04-21, 07:53 AM
I want consequences. Tired of being the Goody two shoes party.

You ought to read this article http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html.

Morghen
2011-04-21, 08:22 AM
I take it you're the second half of Tech Boy's dynamic duo?Nope. I'll break down my objection:

Yeah, if I was 14 I wouldn't either. At least your behavior is age appropriate. Childish rudeness is much easier to tolerate in actual children.He's already acknowledged that TB is a youngster (using it as an insult, to boot). Then he goes on to insult this young person further while his sig proclaims his own maturity and easy-going ways.

I can object to other posters being mean to Tech Boy without actually knowing him.

Sebastrd
2011-04-21, 08:48 AM
I can object to other posters being mean to Tech Boy without actually knowing him.

Should other posters not be able to object to Tech Boy's immature shenanigans and call him out on it? He is, after all, the one who brought it to a public forum for discussion.

Haha.

Still going to try it.

Sorry to dissapoint.

Let me offer some very sincere, constructive advice, Tech Boy. The phenomenon you're seeing here is the result of a lot of people having one of you in their group at one time and none remembering the experience fondly.

Someday, when you are older, you'll look upon the younger generation, and perhaps even your younger self, with disgust when they pull stunts like this. Then, after you've aged a little more, you'll just shake your head and roll your eyes. And, probably quite a bit later, you'll eventually laugh and reminisce about the days when you used to be a pain in the ass at the table.

Next time you want advice involving some cockamamie scheme like this, omit the parts about pissing off your group and DM. Present it as just a normal part of the campaign. You'll get a lot of fun and helpful tips without all of the derision.

You may want to change your forum handle, though, as anybody who recognizes you will probably realize there's more to the story.

Note: You may also want to stay off some lawns. For your own protection, of course. ;)

Jolly
2011-04-21, 12:15 PM
My favorite part is where your sig says you're "easy-going".

How funny, I'd actually forgot it said that, and was very confused by your post at first. You'll also not the "sarcastic" bit at the end...

I use "14 yo" not as an actual assessment of TB's age (how in the world could I kknow some random internet posters age?) But of his maturity level. Much like /b on 4chan is populated by 14 yo's who are in their 20's and 30's.

But you mistake me: I am sincere that if TB is a young person, it makes him a more sympathetic figure. We all act foolishly at one point or another in those years.

Also, to the OP: when you ask how to do X and the majority response is "X is a horrific idea" it might be worth considering.

Morghen
2011-04-21, 12:44 PM
I use "14 yo" not as an actual assessment of TB's age (how in the world could I kknow some random internet posters age?)His sig has something like four blogs linked in it.

But you mistake me: I am sincere that if TB is a young person, it makes him a more sympathetic figure. We all act foolishly at one point or another in those years.Hmmm. It definitely didn't come across that way in print. If that was your intent, I agree. Being young does get one some slack, but I didn't see a whole lot of people responding with anything other than "RAWR! YOU DUMB AND BAD! YOU KILL CAMPAIGN1 YOU BREAK D7D!".

Flame of Anor
2011-04-21, 12:45 PM
I have no idea how old Tech Boy is, but just a word of advice--if you make a point of how you don't mention how old you are on the internet, everyone will think you're 14.

gbprime
2011-04-21, 12:54 PM
Tech Boy, whatever you decide to do in this game, just make sure the other characters have fun at the game table. You may not be involving their characters, and if they sit there the whole chaotic episode and do nothing, or have their characters "ruined" by it, they will not like it.

So do what you do, but don't prevent everyone from having fun. Even unmitigated disasters and fiascoes can be fun, as long as everyone gets a piece of the action.

Jolly
2011-04-21, 01:17 PM
His sig has something like four blogs linked in it.

Hmmm. It definitely didn't come across that way in print. If that was your intent, I agree. Being young does get one some slack, but I didn't see a whole lot of people responding with anything other than "RAWR! YOU DUMB AND BAD! YOU KILL CAMPAIGN1 YOU BREAK D7D!".

Sig lines don't display on my phone, and I believe I have them toggled off for computer use as well. Hence my not recalling my own sig line. :)

I also believe that any hostility or animosity directed the OP's way (and for the record, I am neither and I'm not sure anyone else in this thread is either) is a result of the OP's dismissive responses. Few things vex well meaning posters like snotty and arrogant "Screw you guys I'll do what I want" style responses to articualte and reasonable advice, and so far that is the tone the OP has chosen to use.

Tech Boy
2011-04-21, 08:27 PM
Think I'm fourteen all you want.

I'll keep my age indifferent. It's my own choice. No need to harp on that man. I don't attack you for having a default avatar. Relax.

Tech Boy
2011-04-21, 08:31 PM
Should other posters not be able to object to Tech Boy's immature shenanigans and call him out on it? He is, after all, the one who brought it to a public forum for discussion.

Let me offer some very sincere, constructive advice, Tech Boy. The phenomenon you're seeing here is the result of a lot of people having one of you in their group at one time and none remembering the experience fondly.

Someday, when you are older, you'll look upon the younger generation, and perhaps even your younger self, with disgust when they pull stunts like this. Then, after you've aged a little more, you'll just shake your head and roll your eyes. And, probably quite a bit later, you'll eventually laugh and reminisce about the days when you used to be a pain in the ass at the table.

Next time you want advice involving some cockamamie scheme like this, omit the parts about pissing off your group and DM. Present it as just a normal part of the campaign. You'll get a lot of fun and helpful tips without all of the derision.

You may want to change your forum handle, though, as anybody who recognizes you will probably realize there's more to the story.

Note: You may also want to stay off some lawns. For your own protection, of course. ;)

Dude, been shooting in national contests since I was 5, 12 years ago :P, and I'm a second degree black belt. I know my way around. :)

AFS
2011-04-21, 09:05 PM

This just made my night.

After reading the entire topic. Good luck. If my players did this I'd be upset and expect PvP. Half the group seems out of the loop. I'd also consider a TPK as I don't expect you guys to be the top of the food chain.

gbprime
2011-04-21, 09:16 PM
Dude, been shooting in national contests since I was 5, 12 years ago :P, and I'm a second degree black belt. I know my way around. :)

Well so much for keeping your age indifferent. :smalltongue:

And remember, a black belt is all well and good until you encounter someone else who has one. Then it comes down to which one of you also has a baseball bat. :smallamused:

"I think it fair to warn you, I have a black belt in karate."
"So do I. AND I have a crowbar."
"@*&%"

Tech Boy
2011-04-21, 09:21 PM
Well so much for keeping your age indifferent. :smalltongue:

And remember, a black belt is all well and good until you encounter someone else who has one. Then it comes down to which one of you also has a baseball bat. :smallamused:

"I think it fair to warn you, I have a black belt in karate."
"So do I. AND I have a crowbar."
"@*&%"

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Jolly
2011-04-21, 09:41 PM
Harping? It was the nicest thing I said, as it at least gives you an excuse for your foolish behaviour.

Also, I'm going to call BS on the shooting at a national level at age 5 thing.

All that being said, your pretty obviously determined to ignore the good advice you've been given and plow on, so I see no point in attempting to help you any more. Some folks just have to learn the hard way I guess.

Orbin Dules
2011-04-21, 10:19 PM
Since you are going to go through with this plan, I ask you to wait. Roll with the punches, keep doing quests for the guild. Your character is a rogue correct? Use the fact that bluff and forgery are class skills to plant evidence against this guild. Pass notes to the DM about what you are doing. Forge letters from the head of said guild to the leaders of the bandits or whatever in the ruins you're clearing out. Send semiprecious stones and art objects with couriers to the adventurers guild, make sure no one sees you, and claim that the bad guys are actually gathering objects for this leader to enact some doomsday plan. Eventually plant some major evidence against him, make it look like he's tying up loose ends, and hopefully the "Goody Two-Shoes" party members will fall for it and go for a coup of this guild. Once the Coup has occurred you essentially have taken over the Guild. Bonus points if you convince the other party members that the entire guild is evil and must be dealt with.
If the DM is creative, he will go along with this, and the other party members will have no knowledge of this at all. They will think that they have been doing good the entire time.

This method will probably work out better than if you just ran in and tried to kill everyone. This method will also make the campaign fun for everyone. You and your buddy get to break free of the monotony, the other party members will feel like they made a difference in the world, and the DM will get the satisfaction of knowing he made kept everyone happy and that none of the players were at each other's throats.

Tech Boy
2011-04-22, 06:15 AM
Harping? It was the nicest thing I said, as it at least gives you an excuse for your foolish behaviour.

Also, I'm going to call BS on the shooting at a national level at age 5 thing.

All that being said, your pretty obviously determined to ignore the good advice you've been given and plow on, so I see no point in attempting to help you any more. Some folks just have to learn the hard way I guess.

Also, you don't have to help me. This is a public internet forum. You don't have an obligation to help me, or even respond to this post.

http://www.nmlra.org/pdfs/web_JuneShootResults2010.pdf

Those are the results for last june. Been shooting with the NMLRA since I was 5.
Crtl+F Ethan.

I'll find pictures of 98.

WildPyre
2011-04-22, 06:51 AM
Also, you don't have to help me. This is a public internet forum. You don't have an obligation to help me, or even respond to this post.

No, but you came to us looking for advice and were then dismissive of anyone giving advice that wasn't what you wanted to hear. *shrugs* It's no skin off of our backs if you're not going to heed good advice, just don't expect more if you're going to blow it off after asking for it.

For the record though, I think the whole thing about your age was in poor taste.

Tech Boy
2011-04-22, 09:07 AM
This method will probably work out better than if you just ran in and tried to kill everyone. This method will also make the campaign fun for everyone. You and your buddy get to break free of the monotony, the other party members will feel like they made a difference in the world, and the DM will get the satisfaction of knowing he made kept everyone happy and that none of the players were at each other's throats.

Thank you.

For the record though, I think the whole thing about your age was in poor taste.

I totally agree on the age thing. There is no reason to go after someone because of their age. Especially with a younger member. It is important to keep the game going through generations and making fun of someones actions "Because their age makes sense for the action" is no way to continue the tradition.

Jolly
2011-04-22, 11:45 AM
I totally agree on the age thing. There is no reason to go after someone because of their age. Especially with a younger member. It is important to keep the game going through generations and making fun of someones actions "Because their age makes sense for the action" is no way to continue the tradition.

/sigh

I have at no point "gone after" you for your age. You are misrepresenting my words in order to evade the argument presented by claiming victim status. Nice try, but it's not working.

Let me try an analogy. You goto a restaurant, and the waitress is clueless. Doesn't know the menu, not sure what beers they have on tap etc. So I might ask her "Are you new here?" not as a means of mocking/attacking/going after her, but because it would provide an explanation for her behaviour. "She's not lazy and indifferent to her job, she's just new."

Similarly, you came here asking for help with a very inappropriate and immature scheme. So rather than just jump on you and assume you're a jerk I asked you if you were simply too young to know better. It wasn't an attack, it was an attempt to understand the possible reasons behind your actions. Your age doesn't change the fact that you're being immature and disrespectful to the other people in your group, but it might ameliorate it somewhat.

Sebastrd
2011-04-22, 11:47 AM

Wow! Then, if I may, I'll expand upon my previous advice and recommend you change your handle to "ITG". You know, to warn others of course...:smallamused:

WildPyre
2011-04-22, 12:12 PM
Yeah, if I was 14 I wouldn't either. At least your behavior is age appropriate. Childish rudeness is much easier to tolerate in actual children.

I think this is the post that's making it seem like you're picking on him about his age. As it stands, without being able to read inflection, and going purely on the way it's worded, it seems very snarky and insulting.

I mean I'm with you... I think he should talk it over calmly with his DM... I was the first to suggest so I think, and I think it's a little grating the way he blew off the advice he asked for that didn't go along with what he was planning to do regardless... but to play devil's advocate, the above quoted line does seem a little too far dude.

Lord Vampyre
2011-04-22, 12:23 PM

So much for you keeping your age indifferent. Most of us can add 5 +12 = immature. I'm not insulting you, all teenagers have some level of immaturity. Honestly, 17 isn't that much different from 14 when you're talking to people who have been playing the game longer than you've been alive.

Once again, I don't care what your characters would do in game. The game is a cooperative effort, if you ruin it for everyone else, they are going to get upset. Follow my previous suggestion:

If you do try to do this when you get to a higher level, and you know you're going to be keeping the other 2/3 of the party out of it. Schedule some time with the DM outside of the regular game. You don't need to tell him what you're planning, just let him know that the two of you are wanting to do some outside RP, that won't involve the rest of the group. This will keep you from pissing off everyone at the gaming table by usurping their gaming time.

Even better, the 2 of you skip your normal gaming time with the DM. You tell the DM that during one of your character's turns at watch, you both leave and head back to town. This way, you will be sure that the others won't be there to ruin your characters' fun. When they arrive back in town, they find the adventuring hall ransacked with everyone either missing or dead.

Now, when everything is said and done. It will most likely have the rest of your party being hired to track you down, and bring you to justice.

Everyone will be grateful that you did outside the normal game time. They will probably even find tracking down your characters an interesting plot twist. What would be even better is if the two of you infiltrated your former party posing as different character's and "helped" them to track yourselves down. This would be possible when the druid gets the Thousand Faces ability, and you get something that helps you with your Disguise skill.

LikeAD6
2011-04-22, 01:12 PM
Enacting this plan would mean that the druid and rogue will probably die horribly, allowing you and your friend to roll new characters whose values and motivations are more compatible with the other party members. For this reason, go for it.

The_Jackal
2011-04-22, 01:13 PM
Both characters are Chaotic Neutral, so if there is resistance, we won't hesitate to kill.

That's Chaotic Evil, not Neutral.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-22, 01:36 PM
I'll keep my age indifferent.

That word...I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sebastrd
2011-04-22, 01:49 PM

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I'd like to point out that I hate guns, barely pass my fitness assessment every six months, and danced badly to "Kung Fu Fighting" at my wedding.

You have been warned GitP forum goers!

You have been warned....:smallfurious:

gbprime
2011-04-22, 01:57 PM
Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I'd like to point out that I hate guns, barely pass my fitness assessment every six months, and danced badly to "Kung Fu Fighting" at my wedding.

You have been warned GitP forum goers!

You have been warned....:smallfurious:

Meh. At this range category, Google Fu is more important anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Tech Boy
2011-04-22, 02:17 PM
I appreciate all of the input that you have put into this thread.

The game is tomorrow.

I will try to post the results of committing arson the the building. Good or bad :smallbiggrin:

Acanous
2011-04-22, 05:41 PM
Now, I've been gaming for a long time, and I know sometimes, DMs get it in their heads to build a railroad when the PCs feel like taking a plane.
But destructive, PVP-incurring actions aren't the way you'll want to derail this.

What I'd do in your situation begins with knowledge checks. You're in an effectively good-aligned mercenary company. They propably have a decent reputation in neighboring kingdoms or cities. Make a Knowledge: Local to find out what sort of crops, goods, or other trade resources the city you're in exports.
Then make a knowledge: History to find out who they traditionally trade these resources to. Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty to find out things like what kingdoms/provinces/duchies are currently hit by things like Drout, Famine, Plague or War, and would be willing to pay a premium for your goods.

Then make a Diplomacy check with the merchants around town. Tell them you're considering a highly profitable venture, that you're willing to help finance, which will cause your city's goods to rise in price with the usual trading partners as there's more demand for the supply. So it's mutually profitable, and all you need to know is how much you can short the traditional trading partners without them turning to a new supplier.

Now use your amazing PC wealth to buy up trade goods, a couple wagons and horses. You have a druid, so you don't need to pay a driver.

This should all take you about a week, gathering the info and getting your things ready. The other PCs will be wondering what you're doing, to which your answer will be "Capitalism".
Because Capitalism is the true Chaotic Neutral philosophy :p

If the other players want in on your expidition, then you can take them along, show your DM you're taking a proactive, immersive role in the story while giving him some time to move the plot along and react to what you're doing.

If you keep the heraldry from your adventuring company, you shouldn't be challenged by any border guards, or if you are tell them you're on guild business.

Your DM will look at you with a o.0 face when you spring it on him that your C/N characters are just up and leaving the company to make huge profits trading needed goods to needy people in hostile environs.
That's propably the best way I know of to take the group on a rollercoaster ride.

Tech Boy
2011-04-22, 05:45 PM
Now, I've been gaming for a long time, and I know sometimes, DMs get it in their heads to build a railroad when the PCs feel like taking a plane.
But destructive, PVP-incurring actions aren't the way you'll want to derail this.

What I'd do in your situation begins with knowledge checks. You're in an effectively good-aligned mercenary company. They propably have a decent reputation in neighboring kingdoms or cities. Make a Knowledge: Local to find out what sort of crops, goods, or other trade resources the city you're in exports.
Then make a knowledge: History to find out who they traditionally trade these resources to. Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty to find out things like what kingdoms/provinces/duchies are currently hit by things like Drout, Famine, Plague or War, and would be willing to pay a premium for your goods.

Then make a Diplomacy check with the merchants around town. Tell them you're considering a highly profitable venture, that you're willing to help finance, which will cause your city's goods to rise in price with the usual trading partners as there's more demand for the supply. So it's mutually profitable, and all you need to know is how much you can short the traditional trading partners without them turning to a new supplier.

Now use your amazing PC wealth to buy up trade goods, a couple wagons and horses. You have a druid, so you don't need to pay a driver.

This should all take you about a week, gathering the info and getting your things ready. The other PCs will be wondering what you're doing, to which your answer will be "Capitalism".
Because Capitalism is the true Chaotic Neutral philosophy :p

If the other players want in on your expidition, then you can take them along, show your DM you're taking a proactive, immersive role in the story while giving him some time to move the plot along and react to what you're doing.

If you keep the heraldry from your adventuring company, you shouldn't be challenged by any border guards, or if you are tell them you're on guild business.

Your DM will look at you with a o.0 face when you spring it on him that your C/N characters are just up and leaving the company to make huge profits trading needed goods to needy people in hostile environs.
That's propably the best way I know of to take the group on a rollercoaster ride.

You. Are. A Genius.

Acanous
2011-04-22, 06:05 PM
Fair warning, though; the really single-track focused DMs might rule that your character(s) has retired from the story to pursue a career trading off-camera and ask you to roll a new character.
In which case, either roll a something/good character that'll fit right in the niche he wants you to play, or quit the session.

On another note: Arson. It's actually a really good idea for your characters to set a few fires on their travels, if you're knowledgeable about your supplies and careful about what you burn.

Does your home city export Wheat and Grain? start a grassfire in the area you plan to trade with a few days before you show up. Not a really big one, just enough to make the people worry about where their grain is going to come from and start stockpiling.

You export vegetable oil? Well, a small fire in a well-chosen storehouse could end up making the demand for more oil spike.

Don't do this too often, and be careful with it. Remember, you're not out to ruin people's lives here, you're only trying to encourage a better return on your investment.

Make sure you roleplay through looking around for opportunities and investigating who you're trading with. It'll let the DM flesh out his world a little, and give him opportunity to throw monkey wrenches (and XP and loot) at you.

Pisha
2011-04-22, 06:19 PM
Can I be the dissenting voice here and say I'm on the OP's side?

1) Railroading is never fun. And while yes, your PC's IC actions need to be tempered with an OOC awareness of cooperative roleplaying, the opposite is also true. Leaving your character in a situation that they would not realistically choose to be in, just because you know the GM wants you there or you don't want to ooc-ly rock the boat, is metagaming, and it quickly becomes constricting and boring.

2) There is no one-size-fits-all rule for gaming. Several people have voiced very good arguments about how most GMs and most players would view an action like this. The OP has heard your cautions, and still believes that his GM and his friends will be ok with this. Maybe it's time to accept that he knows them better than you do. If he's wrong, believe me, he'll find out on his own.

3) Would it be better to talk to the GM instead? Maybe, maybe not. Obviously, he's going to have to at least tell the GM what he's doing (after all, if you don't tell the GM that you're planting explosives or stealing rosters, then it didn't happen), but you don't need to ask the GM for permission for your character to act. And while some groups prefer a more cooperative, open-communication approach, others honestly do like to keep each other on their toes, and as long as people are having fun, that's ok.

That being said, I do have some caveats.

a) Fourth level really is a little low for what you're planning. (Or at least what you were originally planning.) If you do this, you will get killed. (And I don't know about your group, but in my party, even with a high-magic world, we have strict rules about not raising people who die from stupidity.)

2) I've always maintained that a CN character can do occasional good things or evil things and still maintain a baseline neutrality. Still, mass murder to relieve boredom is a little extreme. Don't be surprised if this shifts you into CE territory. (Unless that's your plan all along, in which case have fun!)

D) It is totes ok to take an irrational dislike to an organization (like this one) at low level, and spend the next several levels slowly undermining them while gaining as much info (and as much of their trust) as possible. Then when you DO suddenly attack them, it'll be that much more effective (and the scheming, while putting on a smiling face, will give you something fun to do until then!)

...or you could just do what Acanous suggested, it sounds hilarious.

Acanous
2011-04-22, 06:41 PM
it most definately is. I've actually done this before, with a wizard character who survived an otherwise TPK.
The DM basically had no idea what to do now that the party was mostly dead, and asked what my character was going to do now that all of her friends were dead.

So she did this.

We were playing in Faerun at the time, with all the Forgotten Realms books available, so the DM could easilly look up what sort of exports Tethir had and where they went.

As the other party members worked on their sheets, I was hauling spice through a city occupied by the cult of Bane. Dealt with some adventurous rogues trying to kill me and take my stuff by judicious use of my Wand of Web,
Tasha's Hideous Laughter'd a bandit who brought an ogre for backup and was trying to charge a toll for the road, then convinced the Ogre I'd payed with a really funny joke...
Used Silent Image and Nystul's magic aura to convince an orc warband that my walking stick was magical, and then charmed the one orc lieutenant to use it against his commander while I slipped away...

I didn't get much XP for the whole thing, really. I hadn't killed or otherwise defeated any of the challenges, pretty much just bypassing them entirely. In the end, the DM said he didn't want to run the session anymore, as the whole thing was supposed to be based in Tethir and he had no idea what was even IN Calimshan, or how to intro the new party now that they were done their sheets.

...sooo he asked me to do it >.>

Tech Boy
2011-04-22, 07:38 PM
:smallamused::smallamused::smallamused:

Tech Boy
2011-04-24, 07:20 AM
Session went great! Not exactly according to plan, but still very good.

Didn't get to go back to the guild, the party seemed to want to enter this portal into another region of "The Shattered Lands".
This led us to an ancient city. This city was under a thick layer of ice. We had to work our way with some magic fire and good ol' elbow grease to get through the ice. We then took a rope and scalled down into the city. Well, only 2 of us used the rope, the others just took the 15 ft jump and lost some HP. :smallsmile:

In this city, there wasn't a lot. Apparently it has been covered in water until it all froze. So, we torched it. There was no wasted loot, or xp from combat in this, don't worry. While this was happening, our party inquisitor, the spoiler of fun, decided to get into the church. IN the curch there was some kind of alter with a bowl on it. The bowl contained what looked like some oil. She detected magic on it and the goo bonded with her. For some reason, this goo was an ancient, weak, "God". It was hell bent on destroying the world. So, we had an apocalyptic goo on our hands. We could not just kill the inquisitor, she was the sister of our cleric.

The goo continued to try to make us join her as her high priests. We declined, gave her body a sleeping potion, and then tied the crap out of her. There was no way for her inquisitor body to even think about casting any spells. The goo came out of the body and decided to fight us.

We beat the goo God, it was really a black pudding, so don't freak out.

So, we have not gotten the chance to torch any major plot setting yet, but, we did torch a huge ancient city that once held a Goo God.

I assure you, that was the shortened version. In real life that took about 3 hours with combat and some very nice role playin.

Sipex
2011-04-25, 12:06 PM
Sounds like your sessions are picking up then.

And you got to burn things.

Win win.

Morghen
2011-04-25, 03:10 PM
...the goo bonded with her. For some reason, this goo was an ancient, weak, "God". It was hell bent on destroying the world. So, we had an apocalyptic goo on our hands. ... We beat the goo God, it was really a black pudding, so don't freak out.Is the inquisitor's name, by any chance, Tasha?

Tech Boy
2011-04-25, 05:44 PM
Sounds like your sessions are picking up then.

And you got to burn things.

Win win.

Oh yes! It was quite a good session! The arson is going to continue, along with some pranks on the party.

Is the inquisitor's name, by any chance, Tasha?

No, I don't think so....
IRL?
Or in game?

Am I missing a reference? I feel terribly noobish...

Morghen
2011-04-25, 07:39 PM
Am I missing a reference? I feel terribly noobish...It's a Star Trek thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasha_Yar) First paragraph under "Plot". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_of_Evil)

Tech Boy
2011-04-26, 06:26 AM
It's a Star Trek thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasha_Yar) First paragraph under "Plot". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_of_Evil)

Sorry...:smalleek: