PDA

View Full Version : how to be beholdery

astrerouge
2011-04-18, 06:22 PM
Hi fellow playgrounders.
I recently learn that elan had a way to be beholder mage and my thirst for knowledge make me want to know how.So if any of you could light my lantern it would be useful.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-18, 06:26 PM
Hi fellow playgrounders.
I recently learn that elan had a way to be beholder mage and my thirst for knowledge make me want to know how.So if any of you could light my lantern it would be useful.

It hinges on the fact that Elan are Aberrations, not Humanoids. Specifically, that Beholders are also Aberrations, so PAO would be more effective, since you are the same 'type'.

Really, though, it doesn't matter what race you are if you allow grafts. The 'third eye' graft states in the description that it is basically the central AMF eye which you must put out as a prerequisite of class entry. You can also get stalks grafted on which can then be sacrificed to continue the PrC.

As a word of warning: Beholder Mage is about the most broken thing to happen since pun-pun. Pursue at your own risk.

astrerouge
2011-04-18, 06:53 PM
I know that it is powerful and broken but I DM in a game with my brother and sister and I stupidly allow some homebrews that were not really balanced and they are level nine and can beat the **** out of CR 14 so I want to show them that they are abusive so if they kill a beholder mage I hope they'll figure that they are broken and if not well,new character!

Ravens_cry
2011-04-18, 07:11 PM
I have my doubts that would work. Cheese tends to beget cheese. So you bring on this uber cheesy build that wipes the floor with their cheesy one, so now they think "Hmm, I better make something even better* to counter that." With them having done so, you find you have to pull an even more incredulous creation out of the box to counter them in turn, and so the cycle goes on. Eventually, it starts getting a little silly.
*cheesier

Tyndmyr
2011-04-18, 07:59 PM
I have my doubts that would work. Cheese tends to beget cheese. So you bring on this uber cheesy build that wipes the floor with their cheesy one, so now they think "Hmm, I better make something even better* to counter that." With them having done so, you find you have to pull an even more incredulous creation out of the box to counter them in turn, and so the cycle goes on. Eventually, it starts getting a little silly.
*cheesier

Pretty much. Bringing cheese to counter cheese tends to result in the response being, again...cheese.

In the future, be more careful with homebrew. Allowing it is your decision, not their fault.

Sydonai
2011-04-19, 01:50 AM
Step#1: Send a Daelkyr after them, call it a Daelkyr Half-Blood.
Step#2: Watch them get melted.
Step#3: ?????????
Step#4: Profit!

edit: "Use more gun." In other words; if they are beating the CR you send at them then raise it, but only if they aren't working for their win. They will either thank you for the higher exp or throw your DMG at your head.