PDA

View Full Version : An Ice Person

theonesin
2011-04-18, 06:44 PM
In a DnD 3.5 campaign I'm in, I started getting tired of my Dragonborn Warforged Psion summoner. In trying to think of a new character concept, I remembered that I always fantasized about making an ice-based character of some sort. Most likely a gish sort of character(I'm thinking mostly melee, but with some ranged abilities), but I know one of the main ideas was using a "whip" of ice.

With that in mind, I instantly thought of the Pyrokinectist PrC(reflavored to be ice-based of course). But, I'm not really sure the best approach to getting there, or in general what I would need to make this character work. And of course, the biggest obstacle is overcoming cold resistance/immunities.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Bovine Colonel
2011-04-18, 06:47 PM
Isn't Cryokineticist a separate prestige class?

Keld Denar
2011-04-18, 06:47 PM
Uldra from Frostburn are winter fey. They are, unforuntately, LA+1, even though they are pretty weak for +1s. They get like, +1 cold damage per hit with any weapon, among a couple of other abilities.

EDIT:

Isn't Cryokineticist a separate prestige class?
It is both. There is the cold adaptation of Pyrokineticist (in XPH), and then there is the Cryokineticist in Frostburn. They are different enough to be seperate PrCs though. One of the recent Iron Optimization contests actually used both in a build.

theonesin
2011-04-18, 06:51 PM
I don't want to use the Cryokinectist from Frostburn because it gets frozen fists instead of a fire whip. That and it's flight ability is useless outside of the Frostburn setting itself.

Rosarius
2011-04-18, 07:07 PM
Domain Wizard 5/Frost Mage 10/X5 could be interesting.

-Snowcasting + Eschew Materials makes every spell you cast a cold spell.
-Cold Focus and Greater Cold Focus gives you a nice +2, because every spell has the cold subtype.
-Flash Frost Spell covers the area of the spell with a slippery layer of ice.
-Winter's Blast gives you +1 when you cast cold spells.

And of course, you can cast cold spells while wearing a full plate armour with 0% arcane spell failure. "Spell failure chances for arcane spells remains unchanged, with the exception of spells with the cold descriptor, which can be cast while wearing blue ice armor with no chance of spell failure".

Cog
2011-04-18, 07:08 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) Cryokineticist is presumably the one being discussed.

The Cat Goddess
2011-04-18, 07:26 PM
Domain Wizard 5/Frost Mage 10/X5 could be interesting.

-Snowcasting + Eschew Materials makes every spell you cast a cold spell.
-Cold Focus and Greater Cold Focus gives you a nice +2, because every spell has the cold subtype.
-Flash Frost Spell covers the area of the spell with a slippery layer of ice.
-Winter's Blast gives you +1 when you cast cold spells.

And of course, you can cast cold spells while wearing a full plate armour with 0% arcane spell failure. "Spell failure chances for arcane spells remains unchanged, with the exception of spells with the cold descriptor, which can be cast while wearing blue ice armor with no chance of spell failure".

Isn't there more than one Reserve Feat for Cold Spells (each giving you +1 CL with Cold Spells)?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-18, 07:29 PM
You could make a Cleric with the Cold and Winter domains and use DMM: Persistent Ice Axe (SC). Use the spontaneous domain casting ACF from PH2 for Winter so you can put Snowsight on the whole party and use Obscuring Snow for some amazing damage avoidance. Be sure to prepare Ice Slick from Frostburn, it's just as good as Grease.

Particle_Man
2011-04-18, 11:03 PM
What level are you starting as?

Would your DM let you play a white or silver dragon of suitable age (unless you want to distance yourself from all things draconic in the new character)? Or maybe someone with frost giant bloodlines? Or even for high level stuff, a frost giant? For lower levels, an ice mephit?

Does the ice troll exist in 3E?

theonesin
2011-04-18, 11:17 PM
We're level 3. I didn't dislike the concept of my old character. It's just that I don't think I find the summoning role as fun as I originally thought it would be.

Lateral
2011-04-18, 11:29 PM
Ah, at level 3.

You could either go Cryokineticist (not the Frostburn one; it sucks). It's less than optimal, though. Requirements are easy, but don't take it from a manifesting class; go with a class that has Concentration as a class skill but doesn't have spellcasting. It's a cool route, though, despite not being optimal.

...Cool. Ugh.

Anyway, another option is to be a Barbarian and go into Frostrager. Don't have much experience in that myself, but I've heard it's a nice option.

...An ice option. Wow.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-18, 11:31 PM
Well there is always the Lord of the Uttercold feat for overcoming energy resistance; it deals half the damage as negative energy.