PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Worth It? (Case Scenario)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-18, 09:21 PM
OK. I love d20 and D&D 3.5 in general. I've come across some cash ($85 to be exact) and the Pathfinder Core Rulebook is only $9.99 as a PDF. While I'm sure that I'd find it enjoyable, I have a (rather important in my mind) Question.

I know it's compatible with 3.5 (...) but how much so is it? I 'm assuming it works fine with 3.5 stuff that was published by WoTC back in the day, but how well would it work with stuff publish by, Mongoose or White Wolf (or even smaller companies of equal quality)?

Curious
2011-04-18, 09:52 PM
If it would work with 3.5, it will work with Pathfinder. There are only a few things that need to be changed when switching between the two (i.e. CMD-CMB to Grapple and such, Skills). For the most part, you can use things from the two systems interchangeably.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-18, 09:55 PM
If it would work with 3.5, it will work with Pathfinder. There are only a few things that need to be changed when switching between the two (i.e. CMD-CMB to Grapple and such, Skills). For the most part, you can use things from the two systems interchangeably.

This is completely correct.

Oh, there are a few changes...but most of them aren't that terrible to modify something to.

All in all, buying PF material is pretty much like buying more 3.5 material. The core stuff includes a *lot* of stuff you'll already have via the SRD or 3.5 core...but it is a bit important to understand the PF changes, and it's certainly worth the $10. I shelled out for the physical book, and don't regret it.

Rickshaw
2011-04-18, 10:08 PM
Definitely worth it. I started on 3.5 and avoided being forced into 4e by getting into pathfinder.

the truly noticeable differences I've noticed by playing it are that you get more feats, and the skills are more streamlined. also the classes are more straightforward.

You may have to house rule a few things (we had a guy who was super annoyed because monks don't get concentration as a class skill in pathfinder. easily fixed.) but for the most part it's totally compatible with 3.5

I payed $60 dollars for the core rule book in hardback for my girlfriend and grumbled about it. Before I had even finished reading it through, I had stopped grumbling.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-18, 10:17 PM
Pathfinder's worth it, especially since the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide is twice as thick as normal 3.5 non-core stuff.

Curious
2011-04-18, 10:39 PM
Pathfinder's worth it, especially since the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide is twice as thick as normal 3.5 non-core stuff.

And it's accessible for free online. :smallamused:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-04-18, 10:43 PM
Speaking of which, check out the free material online. You'll get a better idea of whether you really want to buy the book.

Tael
2011-04-18, 10:45 PM
White Wolf does D&D stuff? :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2011-04-18, 10:47 PM
I wonder if so much on their SRD will be the death of Pathfinder. There is almost no reason, aside from a love of dead trees, to actually buy the books that have been uploaded. That being said, I love dead trees and wish I could afford more of them.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-04-18, 10:48 PM
White Wolf does D&D stuff? :smallconfused:At first I thought you said this because his title took the form [word]: [word] [word], but then I re-read the OP. I prefer my original interpretation.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-18, 10:50 PM
White Wolf does D&D stuff? :smallconfused:

No... But it does d20 stuff...

Draconi Redfir
2011-04-18, 10:53 PM
I wonder if so much on their SRD will be the death of Pathfinder. There is almost no reason, aside from a love of dead trees, to actually buy the books that have been uploaded. That being said, I love dead trees and wish I could afford more of them.

IMHO it's better to have all material easily accessible to the public rather then withhold valuable information (Such as sublime chord, effigies, and other such things not allowed to be talked about online) from your own customers.

You shouldn’t need to buy an entire book just to look up one feat. But if you see the feat online, and the book it's in, you might think to yourself "hey, this is pretty cool, I’ll be the book has tons of cool stuff like this! And if i get the book itself, i won't need to run to the computer all the time to see it!"

Gavinfoxx
2011-04-18, 11:07 PM
I would buy PDFs of the basic Pathfinder rules AND the basic Trailblazer rules, and mix and match as you, and your gaming group, see fit.