PDA

View Full Version : Help whip my bard into shape!

ducttapebandit
2011-04-18, 10:01 PM
This is my first time playing a caster and I this will be my 3rd D&D campaign. I've previously played a trio of rangers (only one in a campaign), a rouge (two adventures), a fighter (one shot adventure), a paladin (one shot adventure), and a dragon shaman (very short campaign). I want to try something new, I'm just at a loss for what to do.

I picked bard because no one in my party was going the arcane caster or charisma monkey routes. Here's what we have:
-druid (recently switched to this so I don't know his race) (party healer)
-warforged crusader
-samurai (can't remember race)
-raptoran artificer

My brother suggested I come here and ask for help. We start at level 5 and I've chosen to be a gray elf for the INT and DEX bonuses. I threw my level 4 stat point into charisma in order to get the bonus spells later.

Here's what I've put together so far:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=291078

My roles:
-know stuff
-charm stuff
-whip stuff
-heal stuff
-don't die

What I'm looking for:
-Are there feats that will help me avoid attacks of opportunity when using my whip and/or threaten squares within the reach of my whip? Tripping or disarming opponents appeals to me.
-What in the world do I pick for spells?
-Any magical instruments that are affordable?
-useful mundane items

Combined, my group owns most of the 3.5 books and several from 3E.

As the sheet said, we're running Red Hand of Doom. My brother decided a pre-published module would be easiest for his first campaign as DM. He's previously done a couple of one-shot adventures with my dad and me and another one-shot back 5+ years ago. I refuse to count the d6 Star Wars adventure he ran for obvious reasons (http://misadventuresinrpgs.blogspot.com/2010/11/storytime-why-i-am-no-longer-allowed-to.html).

Note: To say our group tends to be heavy on the role play aspect is a vast understatement. An in-game prank war took over one-and-a-half sessions (6 hours time). We're not big on optimization, but I'm trying to just be effective.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: We're doing 3.5.

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 10:19 PM
Your choice of Bracers of Armour instead of...well, actual armour seems a bit odd to me. Bards don't suffer Arcane Spell Failure in light armour, so a simple piece of basic leather armour saves you some 3990gp for the exact same result.

Wand of Lesser Vigor (Spell Compendium) is a better investment than Wand of Cure Light Wounds. The lack of Prestidigitation on your Cantrips list makes me sad.

Consider taking Inspirational Boost (Spell Compendium) as a 1st level spell. Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting) would be good as your 3rd level feat too if it's available. If you have access to Magic Item Compendium, a Badge of Valour (pg. 208) is a bargain at only 1400gp.

The Melodic Casting (Complete Mage) feat is highly recommended. It gives you more skillpoints to play with and lets you utilise command-word activation for spells/magic items while utilising your Bardic Music. Considering the skillpoints you save by dumping Concentration, you should have more than enough to drop the necessary four into Spellcraft.

Speaking of skillpoints, not a single point in Use Magic Device? :smallconfused: Would recommend doing the opposite: Max it out.

Flickerdart
2011-04-18, 10:22 PM
As a bard you are never going to have the BAB, strength or size to disarm or trip effectively. You really ought to avoid melee combat unless you are optimized for it. Whips suck anyway, so get a Spiked Chain instead if you really want to do this.

18 in INT is a waste of an 18. Your highest stat must be CHA, with DEX and CON next; INT, WIS and STR are tertiary stats. You have enough skill points to get the good skills without putting many points into INT. Go Human if you need more skill points. Make sure to invest in Use Magic Device, and pick up some Wands of Lesser Vigor; this is a very efficient way of healing up after combat.

If you're the knowledge monkey and want to fight, then Knowledge Devotion (CChamp) will let you convert your skill checks into fighting ability.

You don't qualify for Weapon Finesse at 1st level. If you do take it, then it applies to rapiers as well (because rapiers are special that way).

Spells, spells, spells...does your group have the Spell Compendium? If not, here are some gems from the core books.
0th:
Prestidigitation: Called "mini-wish" for a good reason. Take this.
Detect Magic: This is the poor man's See Invisibility.
1st:
Grease: Great battlefield control spell. Balancing creatures are flat-footed unless they have 5 or more ranks, so if you had a Rogue he would love you for this.
Charm Person: You'll be getting Suggestion next level. It's pretty sweet normally, though.
Silent Image: Create the illusion of a cart, then hide behind it! Change people's store signs to profanity! Pretend you are a world-renowned artist! Once you get Minor Image, this isn't necessary anymore.
2nd:
Glitterdust: This is an awesome spell, and the effect that reveals invisible creatures isn't the main attraction. A blind enemy is a dead enemy.
Alter Self: Crack open that monster manual and check out all the cool stuff you can turn into. Troglodyte for +6 to AC? Raptoran for flight? You decide!
Mirror Image: This is the spell of choice for not getting hit in the face. Miss chance is always better than AC (but having both can't hurt).

holywhippet
2011-04-18, 10:23 PM
I'm assuming that starting at level 5 means you have level 5 starting wealth (9000 gold IIRC).

First, what are your character's stats? You want at least 18 charisma so you can actually cast your spells when they become available as you level up.

Improved disarm/trip will avoid AoOs (both require combat expertise). Honestly though, forget it. Disarm and trip are attack roll based tricks and your attack bonus won't be that great since you are a bard, not a fighter.

Items you really want? Bag of holding for one, a healing belt for another. A wand of cure light wounds might be a good idea but the healing belt might be enough.

Nice items include a cloak of charisma and a mythral breastplate. The latter is expensive, but it's about the best armour for a bard since it is treated as light armour. A masterwork musical instrument is a good idea also.

Otherwise, if you have the bag of holding, go through the standard items list and grab a bunch of cheap things - lantern oil, ropes, tents etc.

Flickerdart
2011-04-18, 10:24 PM
Mithral breastplate only gives 1 more point of AC compared to a chain shirt, so there's not much of a reason to shell out the dough until you're a lot higher level.

MeeposFire
2011-04-18, 10:29 PM
Personally I like the using music to buff allies route. Especially with all the melee guys you have in your party. For melee you can go with whip/whipdagger and wear spiked gauntlets (which give you a weapon you can use up close) but I would strongly consider going an archery bard (with knowledge devotion and the like) since your party lacks range and it will help keep you safe.

holywhippet
2011-04-18, 10:31 PM
Mithral breastplate only gives 1 more point of AC compared to a chain shirt, so there's not much of a reason to shell out the dough until you're a lot higher level.

True, it weighs less though and it's already masterwork so you can start putting enchantments on it.

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 10:32 PM
18 in INT is a waste of an 18.

That 18's a 16. He's a Grey Elf.

Flickerdart
2011-04-18, 10:34 PM
That 18's a 16. He's a Grey Elf.
And would be better off as Human.

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 10:37 PM
And would be better off as Human.

I don't disagree (I would stretch to include Silverbrow Human for easier access to Dragonfire Inspiration); but that's his decision and considering the 'heavy on the roleplay' side of things I assumed his Grey Elf was following a concept he much desired and perhaps could not be replicated by a Human.

Either way, he still doesn't have 'an 18' wasted on Int since it'd be a 16 as Human.

gorfnab
2011-04-18, 11:42 PM
but I would strongly consider going an archery bard (with knowledge devotion and the like) since your party lacks range and it will help keep you safe.
+1

A decent bard archer build is Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord (CArc) 2/ Abjurant Champion (CM) 5/ Ruathar (RotW) or Sacred Exorcist (CD) 3

You may want to read these helpful bard handbooks
The Bard's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0)
Breaking Down Inspire Courage Optimization, Handbook Edition
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0)

Tvtyrant
2011-04-18, 11:45 PM
I shamelessly stole this from somewhere; but I no longer remember where. Oh well.

"Whip It!" - Melee Bard
Human Bard 20
Stats: 32 PB
Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

Feats:
1: Combat Expertise
1: Improved Disarm
3: Weapon Finesse
6: Combat Reflexes
9: Improved Trip
12: Improved Critical (Rapier)
15: Improved Initiative
18: Extend Spell or Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)

Starting skills: 9/level. 4 ranks each: Perform (Sing or Oratory), Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Info, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Tactics: This is a bard build designed to disarm opponents with a whip (15ft reach, but doesn't threaten), which bards are automatically proficient in. The bard can use the whip two-handed for +15 to disarm at 3rd level, and unlike trip attacks disarming does not require a high strength to be effective. Improved Trip is for use against low strength opponents such as arcane casters, while the rapier is for damage.

Good spells: Silent Image, Hideous Laughter, Glitterdust, Cat's Grace, Mirror Image, Heroism, Fear, Glibness, Haste, Freedom of Movement, Greater Heroism, Shadow Walk, Shadow Evocation, Heroes' Feast, Irresistible Dance

Important equipment: Chain shirt, rapier, whip, masterwork instrument, and shortbow.

Redland Jack
2011-04-19, 12:35 AM
If you want to trip/disarm, I think you'll want a high strength, so if you have the option, I'd maybe swap the 16 intelligence to strength (turning it to 14), the 10 strength to wisdom, and the 13 wisdom to intelligence (turning it to 15). That would give you a +2 to your trip/disarm instead of a -1 (if I've calculated everything correctly).

It would also free you up from having to take Weapon Finesse, since you'd already be getting +2 from your strength.

Unless you want the gray elf for role-playing reasons, I might switch him over to a human as suggested by Flickerdart.

Flickerdart's spell suggestions also seem solid, though Amnestic makes a good point about Inspirational Boost. (His suggestion for Song of the Heart is also solid, since an additional +1 to your Inspire Courage ability is pretty helpful, both for you to hit (since you want to be a melee-type bard) and for you allies as well.

Use Magic Device can be pretty good, but I'm not sure how high of a level you'll be getting to, and it isn't terribly useful at lower levels (at least as far as I know).

MeeposFire
2011-04-19, 01:34 AM
Its about as useful as the items you find. Even at level 20 if you somehow find no wands, staves, rods, scrolls, or other stuff to use the skill it is worthless. At low levels it tends to be stuff are useful and life saving but not that powerful in and of themselves (such as healing, slight buffs, or utility).

ducttapebandit
2011-04-19, 05:10 PM
Quoting everything would lead to too much text for my tastes.

Based on comments here and a conversation with my DM, I may switch to human. No hit to con or str and an extra feat is starting to sound better than longsword proficiency, +2 to dex, and a bonus to int-based skills. Playing non-humans is just a preference of mine, so I may pick something else. Can anyone think of something that gives a charisma bonus and either helps out int or dex?

Re: Amnestic's comments:
I missed that bards could use light armor without the failure chance applying. My DM pointed out the same thing last night. I'll fix that.
Yes, we have the Spell Compendium and I am probably going to use Prestidigitation. Pretty much all the books are currently at my friends' apartment. Carrying 3 grocery bags full of books every week is more than a little annoying. I'll check that stuff on Thursday.

More skill points? I like more skill points!

I've never actually had the opportunity to UMD or seen it used. That's why I ignored it. Plus, I think the artificer can help there.

Re: Flickerdart's comments:
Spiked chain takes an extra feat and I have none to spare. The whip is a minor part of the persona I'm going for.

The 18 was raised from 16 by racial adjustments. In the order I used them, the rolls are 10, 14, 15, 16, 13, 16. L4 stat point to charisma. I just like skill points. I get a little crazy about them.

Complete Champion is the only Complete book that renders our our collection of that series incomplete.

Nice catch on the weapon finesse.

Mirror image, grease, and detect magic are already on my list. I'll probably take alter self and pass on minor image. The rest were either on my radar or are now. Thank you!

Re: holywhippet's comments:
My charisma will hit 18 at level 8. I posted my stats in the block above. With my new found understanding of arcane spell failure, I can now afford the cloak. Thanks for reminding me about that item!

I'm going to pass on the bag of holding in favor of a handy haversack.

My instrument will definitely be masterwork. I'm trying to find something that's magical, especially if it does something involving projectiles. Don't know if there's one that can do that, but I'd take it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

The breastplate is a bit to costly for me. The DM also mentioned an armor crystal that could help out with something along these lines.

Re: MeeposFire:
That's the big reason I was looking for dex. We have no shooty-man. Nice to see someone else thinks it's important.

Re: various suggestions that I play a human:
I generally don't like playing them just because I am one. If I'm going to play a fantasy game, I'd like to be something more exotic. I may play one in this case though. Most of the party took something kind of freaky looking and the DM warned us that will have consequences.

I'm not too attached to the gray elf, just the bonuses to int and dex. Again, can anyone think of something that gives a charisma bonus and either helps out int or dex as well?

The persona I have in mind has 2 separate requirements: play a bard and use a whip to annoy opponents. If I don't use the whip, then I'll probably take minor image so I can make it look my lute is on fire while playing. That should be good for a bonus on perform checks, right?

Thanks for the additional ideas, gorfnab, Redland Jack, and Tvtyrant!

I looked into combat expertise and it won't help me unless I combine it with something else. Whips don't threaten within their reach and I'm looking for something that changes that. :smallfrown:

Greenish
2011-04-19, 05:32 PM
No hit to con or str and an extra feat is starting to sound better than longsword proficiency, +2 to dex, and a bonus to int-based skills.Bards are proficient with longswords anyway. Longbow is the only weapon you'd lose.

Playing non-humans is just a preference of mine, so I may pick something else. Can anyone think of something that gives a charisma bonus and either helps out int or dex?Few no/low LA races boost charisma at all, let alone charisma and something else. Aasimar or lesser aasimar get +2 to wis and cha, and the former are outsiders. Magic-Blooded (dragon mag 306) is a +0 LA template which gives +2 cha, -2 wis (and a few SLAs).

Not that int or dex would be so important for bards. Here's the list of 0 LA races (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0), look it over.

I've never actually had the opportunity to UMD or seen it used. That's why I ignored it. Plus, I think the artificer can help there.Yes, the artificer is good at making stuff you can UMD. It's perhaps the strongest and most versatile skill there is. Got a lock to pick? UMD a wand of Knock. Want to fly? UMD a wand (or scroll) of fly. Etc.

That's the big reason I was looking for dex. We have no shooty-man.With Inspire Courage, hitting shouldn't be so hard.

I generally don't like playing them just because I am one. If I'm going to play a fantasy game, I'd like to be something more exotic.Silverbrow human? It's a human that has some silver dragon blood in his/her veins from Dragon Magic. Dragonblooded subtype opens up the sweet Dragonfire Inspiration from the same book, too.

I looked into combat expertise and it won't help me unless I combine it with something else. Combat Expertise is required for Imp. Trip and Imp. Disarm.

Whips don't threaten within their reach and I'm looking for something that changes that. :smallfrown:You'd need an exotic weapon for that, I'm afraid.

[Edit]: You'll want to look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). Charisma can be applied to many things indeed.

Amnestic
2011-04-19, 05:33 PM
I'm not too attached to the gray elf, just the bonuses to int and dex. Again, can anyone think of something that gives a charisma bonus and either helps out int or dex as well?

You should consult the LA +0 Race List (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0) to see if anything catches your eye. I'm a big fan of Lesser Aasimar, though it lacks any bonus to Int or Dex.

The Magic-Blooded Template (Dragon Magazine #306) offers -2 Wis, +2 Cha. Your Will saves as a Bard are decent so taking the hit to Wis probably won't hurt too much. It's a good choice if you can wrangle it, though some may (rightfully perhaps) accuse it of being cheesy.

And yes, UMD is one of your best skills as a Bard alongside Diplomacy/Bluff. Highly, highly recommend you learn it and love it.

Edit: Totally ninja'd :P

true_shinken
2011-04-19, 05:38 PM
IIRC, you can apply the bonus from the Improvisation spell to disarm/trip. If you can get a wand of it in a wandchamber, I don't think Str is going to be such a big concern (but I'd still go for a 14, at least).

Greenish
2011-04-19, 05:43 PM
Hmm, Charming the Arrow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) + DFA would be a nice combo for a bard archer. Getting a dragonblooded fey is a bit tricky though. Dragonborn killoren?

true_shinken
2011-04-19, 05:49 PM
Hmm, Charming the Arrow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) + DFA would be a nice combo for a bard archer. Getting a dragonblooded fey is a bit tricky though. Dragonborn killoren?

It's like the Zen Archer Cleric, except it is cool!

Flickerdart
2011-04-19, 05:49 PM
I suggested Spiked Chain as an alternative to the feat you wanted to avoid AoOs and threaten when using whips. A feat's a feat, but the chain is better.

RaginChangeling
2011-04-19, 07:20 PM
The only LA 0 race with a + to Charisma I know of is the Spellscale from Races of the Dragon, and they have a Con penalty. On the plus side, I think they have the Dragonblooded subtype for Dragonfire Inspiration.

Gabe the Bard
2011-04-19, 07:42 PM
If you don't mind +1 level adjustment, Chaos Gnomes from Races of Stone are a good option. They get +2 on Cha, Dex and Con, and take -2 to Strength. And they can reroll any roll that they make once per day.

There's also a great bard spell called Harmonize in Races of Stone, which lets you start bardic inspirations as a move action.

There are a bunch of masterwork instruments in Complete Adventurer that can boost different aspects of your bardic music. The horns and drums can boost your inspire courage damage, while the lute can increase your bard level for bardic music.

ducttapebandit
2011-04-19, 10:32 PM
I'm starting to remember why I like running martial classes: "Pointy end goes in the other man." Might be why I keep thinking I must hit stuff. Time to grow a bit.

With Inspire Courage, hitting shouldn't be so hard.
Silverbrow human? It's a human that has some silver dragon blood in his/her veins from Dragon Magic. Dragonblooded subtype opens up the sweet Dragonfire Inspiration from the same book, too.
Combat Expertise is required for Imp. Trip and Imp. Disarm.
You'd need an exotic weapon for that, I'm afraid.

[Edit]: You'll want to look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). Charisma can be applied to many things indeed.Has silver dragon blood? My group has a running gag about them. It could be fun. I've seen that thread before, but I completely forgot about it. That will be useful. Thank you.

If you don't mind +1 level adjustment, Chaos Gnomes from Races of Stone are a good option. They get +2 on Cha, Dex and Con, and take -2 to Strength. And they can reroll any roll that they make once per day.Don't mind the LA at all. We've got buyback going so I'll catch up quickly. Thanks for the info on instruments.

Hmm, Charming the Arrow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) + DFA would be a nice combo for a bard archer. Getting a dragonblooded fey is a bit tricky though. Dragonborn killoren?Charming the Arrow looks great and I hadn't considered the killoren.

The only LA 0 race with a + to Charisma I know of is the Spellscale from Races of the Dragon, and they have a Con penalty. On the plus side, I think they have the Dragonblooded subtype for Dragonfire Inspiration.
Yep. They have that subtype. However, my group just had someone play one excellently and mine would automatically be compared to his.

Okay. I'm going to put the whip away so a later character can use it. No tripping stuff this time around. I'll just use grease if I'm in the mood for annoying enemies.

I'll see if I can put together new tentative character sheets on Friday since I won't have the books back until Thursday night. Races I'm now considering: Chaos Gnome is the current favorites with Silverbrow Human, boring human, killoren, and Gray Elf being the other possibilities. Probably not the elf.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-19, 10:51 PM
Hellbred (spirit) gets +2, Spellscale the same, same with star elf, and then lesser assimar. :(

Greenish
2011-04-20, 07:56 AM
Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar would get +4 Cha for 0 LA and a bunch of SLAs.

Zanticor
2011-04-20, 09:28 AM
Don't underestimate the power of song! My bard was doing +4 on the singing at the end of RHoD and if you factored in the amount of hits that landed because of the song, about half the damage done by the team was due to the singing!: smallbiggrin:
So +1 on the inspirational boost.

Gullintanni
2011-04-20, 10:11 AM
Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar would get +4 Cha for 0 LA and a bunch of SLAs.

Lesser Aasimar is already kind of cheesy. This might be a candidate for some serious DM borne book-fu. Use at your discretion.

Amnestic
2011-04-20, 10:37 AM
Lesser Aasimar is already kind of cheesy. This might be a candidate for some serious DM borne book-fu. Use at your discretion.

Lesser Aasimar are good, no doubt, but Humans are still superior for many builds, so it's hard to call them 'cheesy' when few people would consider banning Humans as a race as a general rule.

Gullintanni
2011-04-20, 12:30 PM
Lesser Aasimar are good, no doubt, but Humans are still superior for many builds, so it's hard to call them 'cheesy' when few people would consider banning Humans as a race as a general rule.

That's debateable...Humans strength come in that they're versatile. They're good in every build. They're rarely optimal in any build though. Human is great in a,"If I can't find a pimpin' race that fits my build, then defaulting to human is always good enough" sort of sense. Lesser Aasimar, where appropriate, tends toward being the optimal choice.

They're more specialized, but in those roles, Lesser Aasimar outshines human almost every time. Start adding templates and you have a recipe for some fine cheddar IMHO.

Maybe others would disagree, that's fine...I'm just passing on the note in the event that it will help someone inform their character building decisions :smallsmile:

Greenish
2011-04-20, 12:36 PM
Humans strength come in that they're versatile. They're good in every build. They're rarely optimal in any build though.Humans are usually better than most any other races for any given role. Some specialized races can be better in certain roles.

Yet it's the latter who are "cheese"?

MeeposFire
2011-04-20, 04:53 PM
Feats and full levels are worth more than most racial abilities.

ducttapebandit
2011-04-21, 03:02 PM
I might be able to do a tentative character sheet tonight with input from my group. Otherwise, I can get to that on Sunday and go from there.

Just found out the druid is a killoren, so I probably won't play one.

Hellbred (spirit) gets +2, Spellscale the same, same with star elf, and then lesser assimar. :(

I can't figure out which book the Star Elf is in. Anyone know?

MeeposFire
2011-04-21, 06:49 PM
Star elf is in a FR book about the Eastern realms between the moonsea and Kara-Tur. Mysterious East or something like that I think.

Flickerdart
2011-04-21, 06:52 PM
Star elf is in a FR book about the Eastern realms between the moonsea and Kara-Tur. Mysterious East or something like that I think.
Unapproachable East?

Greenish
2011-04-21, 06:52 PM
Star elves are in Unapproachable East, pages 9-10.

MeeposFire
2011-04-21, 07:24 PM
Unapproachable East?

Well I was close:smallredface:.

ducttapebandit
2011-04-22, 01:20 AM
Thanks, all! We have that book, I just can't get to it at the moment.

I think I have all the info I need. Thank you everyone!

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-04-22, 01:35 AM
Start here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0) Look through this handbook and go from there. I just finished TWO bard builds both keeping Bardic music at max with a lot of extra tricks. If you want to do support well then I would suggest Dragonfire Inspiration/Inspire Courage (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0)optimization. Your party fighters will love you when they are dealing a boat load of extra damage dice with every swing. If you wish I can post both bard builds one is spell heavy the other melee oriented.

Talbot
2011-04-22, 02:00 AM
May be too late now, but if you wanted to play a high-Int Bard who can also trip, and is good at skills, you'd take three levels of Factotum. Now you add your Int to your tripping attempts (as well as your Initiative, and I *think* disarm), you get a once-per day +3 to each skill (plus your Int to all Str and Dex based skills), and a few other fun little goodies, like the ability to stick your Int on an important roll (*cough*save*cough*) when you need to. The only problem is that it can be hard to stop taking Factotum once you start, on account of them being entirely too good at skills, and better than average at everything else.

If you do end up going that route (and especially if you return to your Grey Elf roots), I'd suggest trying to get your DM to look at Faerie Mysteries Initiate, which will let you drop Con (replaces it with Int to HP), Keen Intellect (Int to your Will Save, and a handful of the good skills), and/or Insightful Reflexes (Int to Reflex). I know you're a little feat-starved, but if you can figure out a way to cram those three in, you really only need Cha/Int/Str to do everything you want, and do it better than any other Bards are going to do it (Factotum even lets you throw a once per day +3 on your Perform check). Don't worry about missing out on three bard levels, as Vest of Legend (magic item) counts you as a Bard of, IIRC, 5 levels higher for the purposes of all your music stuff.

Beyond that, have you looked at Item Familiar? It's a Feat that gives you free skillpoints, and, if you put it on a weapon, free weapon enhancements. It's a little extra bookkeeping, and a small risk if your DM sunders your familiar, but it's one of the flat-out best feats in the game.

Gadora
2011-04-22, 02:12 AM
May be too late now, but if you wanted to play a high-Int Bard who can also trip, and is good at skills, you'd take three levels of Factotum. Now you add your Int to your tripping attempts (as well as your Initiative, and I *think* disarm), you get a once-per day +3 to each skill (plus your Int to all Str and Dex based skills), and a few other fun little goodies, like the ability to stick your Int on an important roll (*cough*save*cough*) when you need to. The only problem is that it can be hard to stop taking Factotum once you start, on account of them being entirely too good at skills, and better than average at everything else.

If you do end up going that route (and especially if you return to your Grey Elf roots), I'd suggest trying to get your DM to look at Faerie Mysteries Initiate, which will let you drop Con (replaces it with Int to HP), Keen Intellect (Int to your Will Save, and a handful of the good skills), and/or Insightful Reflexes (Int to Reflex). I know you're a little feat-starved, but if you can figure out a way to cram those three in, you really only need Cha/Int/Str to do everything you want, and do it better than any other Bards are going to do it (Factotum even lets you throw a once per day +3 on your Perform check). Don't worry about missing out on three bard levels, as Vest of Legend (magic item) counts you as a Bard of, IIRC, 5 levels higher for the purposes of all your music stuff.

Beyond that, have you looked at Item Familiar? It's a Feat that gives you free skillpoints, and, if you put it on a weapon, free weapon enhancements. It's a little extra bookkeeping, and a small risk if your DM sunders your familiar, but it's one of the flat-out best feats in the game.

DM of this thing here. *waves* I'm trying to be rather permissive in what I'm allowing. That said, no item familiars; not without a major overhaul of the feat.

Flickerdart
2011-04-22, 02:23 AM
There's Chaos Music, a feat from Dragon #326 that's basically Practised Spellcaster for Bardic Music. It would cover the levels you use to dip into Factotum. A dip into Human Paragon lands you a bonus feat to make up for it, and a +2 to any ability score if you choose to take all three levels. Oh, and 2/3rds casting.

Song of the White Raven also lets your Bard and Warblade levels stack for bardic music, and Warblades enjoy some Int-based benefits. Oh, and also swift action bardic music.

Talbot
2011-04-22, 02:29 AM
Additional Inty-Tripping Bard Suggestion (which works with or without the Factotum idea): Warblade.

You get Bonus Feats (good), you get Base Attack (better at tripping), you get Inty stuff, you get HP, you get a Fort save... and with one feat, your Warblade levels count as Bard levels for Bardic music. Every single part of this is good news. If Warblade got the Setting Sun school of maneuvers (talk to your DM; some are ok with trading schools out, often at a 2:1 rate, others aren't), it'd be even better, but as is it's still pretty solid. You will take a hit on skills and magic, but it all depends on what you care about the most.

Off the top of my head a build like:

Human Bard 9/Factotum 3/Warblade 8 (not necessarily in that order) with feats like:

1) Faerie Mysteries Initiate
1H) Keen Intellect
3) Combat Expertise
6) Improved Trip
9) Song of the White Raven
12+) Whatever You Want

That build would be a pretty solid tripper, only really use three ability scores, be quite good at skills (that Int to all Str & Dex skills is huge), and be able to survive a bit while still being as good as a Bard 20 at all the Bardic music stuff while also having Spells and Maneuvers for those times when something is too big to trip.

Edit: Partially Swordsage'd

CapnVan
2011-04-22, 04:27 AM
On spell selection, I've got to defend silent image. As battlefield control, it can be hugely helpful at lower levels.

It's your own wall of stone, with a 1st level slot, etc.

The key here is that the enemy only gets a will save if they actually interact with the image. Unless they're familiar with your whole party, they have no particular reason to assume that the wall would be simply an illusion, and therefore, no particular reason to interact with it in a way which would give them a save.

Greenish
2011-04-22, 09:38 AM
If you wish I can post both bard builds one is spell heavy the other melee oriented.I wouldn't mind seeing them outlined.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-04-22, 07:33 PM
I still have to do the Melee bard's skills but the Spell Bard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292748) is done except for items, but that's a diffrent story.

Greenish
2011-04-22, 07:50 PM
I still have to do the Melee bard's skills but the Spell Bard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292748) is done except for items, but that's a diffrent story.Incantrix, interesting. I'm not convinced that the Eberron's music-to-feat swap allows one to bypass feat requirements, but it does seem to be quite a common interpretation.