PDA

View Full Version : Spell as Spell-Like Ablity

Andraste
2011-04-18, 10:14 PM
I've been reading this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872726/Revised_Necromancer_Handbook) necromancer guide, and under cheap ways to animate dead, it says to get the it as a spell-like ability. It says that there are several ways of doing this, but does not mention what they are. So, how would this be done?

Have a Spell-like Ability
Spell-likes default to a single standard action and bypass all components (including XP and GP). So if you have Animate as a Spell-like ability you can raise all the dead you want. Really. You can get this by a number of feats, special class features, or the old standby of using Planar Binding/Ally on Fiends that happen to have Animate Dead as a Spell-like in the first place.

holywhippet
2011-04-18, 10:27 PM
Take a level in the archmage prestige class. Take the high arcana which lets you trade a spell slot to make a twice per day spell like ability which is permanently yours. You need to be an arcane type caster though.

Andraste
2011-04-18, 10:35 PM
Then instead of 25gp/HD, I spend 250xp/HD, which doesn't seem like a good trade off.

holywhippet
2011-04-18, 10:47 PM
True. I suppose at high levels you'll get a lot of XP per encounter anyway but you'll probably have a lot of money anyway.

The arcane equivalent is the hierophant class BTW - but it's the same deal.

Not sure how else to get SLAs - the article seems to indicate there is some way of doing it with no cost though.

Tanngrisnir
2011-04-18, 11:18 PM
I haven't read the rules in a little while, but with a small sacrifice you could most likely gain this through a dragon (or other powerful creature) pact.

TheCoelacanth
2011-04-18, 11:25 PM
Take the Heir of Siberys prestige class from Eberron to get true creation as an SLA. Use that to create approximately 20 million gp worth of platinum per day. Then use that to fund your undead creation.

Andraste
2011-04-19, 12:44 AM
I'm wondering how to get Animate Dead as an SLA, not how to get infinite money.

Alleran
2011-04-19, 01:22 AM
Use the Innate Spell feat (the version from Player's Guide to Faerun). It should give you Animate Dead as a 3/day SLA. You'd need to either do that or use High Arcana - I can't think of many other ways.

Take the Heir of Siberys prestige class from Eberron to get true creation as an SLA.
Wasn't that errata'd to retain the XP cost or whatever?

Aharon
2011-04-19, 01:39 AM
I think the standard necromancer way was to first become a Necropolitan (LM), and then get the Spell-Stitched Template (MMII).

Telonius
2011-04-19, 10:52 AM
Pale Master (LM) gets you Animate Dead 1/day at second level. It's an arcane class. No XP or GP required, though you do lose a caster level getting there.

dextercorvia
2011-04-19, 01:43 PM
Dweomerkeeper doesn't get it as an SLA, but they can cast it as a Su ability, still negating the component.

STP Erudite can manifest it, paying 2pp in place of the expensive material component.