PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Wing attacks?

Kittenwolf
2011-04-18, 10:28 PM
Hey all. I'm building a Gestalt Kobold that is attempting to emulate a Dragon's attack pattern as closely as possible.
A 1st level feat takes care of the tail, and it gets a bite & two natural attacks by default, but I cannot find a way to get Wing attacks. Anyone know of one?

Class-wise he'll be an Incarnate/Totemist with a bit of martial adept thrown in, and some levels of a thematically-modified Skytalon PrC

candycorn
2011-04-18, 10:52 PM
Alter Self into a dragon? Warshaper after altering self into a different kobold?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-18, 10:57 PM
Hey all. I'm building a Gestalt Kobold that is attempting to emulate a Dragon's attack pattern as closely as possible.
A 1st level feat takes care of the tail, and it gets a bite & two natural attacks by default, but I cannot find a way to get Wing attacks. Anyone know of one?

Class-wise he'll be an Incarnate/Totemist with a bit of martial adept thrown in, and some levels of a thematically-modified Skytalon PrC

I think there is a Soul meld in some Dragon Magazine that when bound it gives wing buffet attacks.

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-18, 10:58 PM

Wing attacks, eh?

I KNOW that there was Draconic soulmelds in Dragon Magic (needed to have the [dragonblood] subtype, I believe). They might have wing attacks there (you can also pick up a Dragon Tail soulmeld there - save yourself a feat!)

If you were willing to change one of your meldshaping classes to sorc, there's some pretty neat wing-themed spells in Dragon Magic as well.

Kittenwolf
2011-04-18, 11:11 PM
Well, the Dragon Magic ones are at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4 , alas no wing attacks (though good point on the tail attack).

I should have mentioned, in this campaign Arcane & Divine casters don't work hence I can't swap for spellcasting :)

Kittenwolf
2011-04-19, 12:04 AM
Darn it, I can't find a list of Dragon Magazine soulmelds anywhere ><
Anyone know which Dragon Magazine editions I should be looking at?

Darrin
2011-04-19, 05:26 AM
Darn it, I can't find a list of Dragon Magazine soulmelds anywhere ><
Anyone know which Dragon Magazine editions I should be looking at?

There are three totemist soulmelds in Dragon #350. The one you're looking for is Chaos Roc's Span. When shaped, you get two wing buffet attacks that do subdual damage but have reach. Bound to your totem chakra, I believe they do lethal damage.

Person_Man
2011-04-19, 07:35 AM
There are three totemist soulmelds in Dragon #350. The one you're looking for is Chaos Roc's Span. When shaped, you get two wing buffet attacks that do subdual damage but have reach. Bound to your totem chakra, I believe they do lethal damage.

When bound to your Totem they give you a cone of random energy. When bound to your Shoulders they deal lethal damage, and enemies who are hit by both wings must Save or be Dazed for 1d4 rounds (note that it's mind affecting and can only be triggered once per turn, so while very useful, it's not as useful as most other Daze effects). The real gem in Dragon 350 though is Brood Keeper's Heart, which gives you a poorly defined Swarm template when bound to your Heart chakra.

I would also add that you can get wing buffet attacks from the dramatically overpriced dragon wings graft from Races of the Dragon. And note that the Draconic Wing feat from Races of the Dragon sucks compared to the wings you can get from other sources. For example, Cloak of the Dragon (Complete Champion) gives you wings and a breath weapon once per day for 10 minutes, and only costs 10 minutes.

There's also the Winged Warrior feat from Races of the Wild. It doesn't give you a buffet attack, but lets you create a hemisphere of concealment (for those in the cloud) and total concealment (for those trying to look into the cloud) around you as a Move action that lasts for 1 round. Very potent for full casters (or anyone else who basically only needs a Standard Action).

Kittenwolf
2011-04-19, 07:51 AM

Awesome! Thanks :)
Pity the wings can't be used on adjacent attackers though :(. Kinda makes a full attack charge pounce a little less nuts, but when in melee I guess nice 5ft step shall work :D