PDA

View Full Version : Need help naming a character

Starwulf
2011-04-18, 11:23 PM
It's an Earth Genasi, and I have no clue what some typical names would be for them. Could anyone link me to a site, or just give me a few examples? Would be greatly appreciated ^^

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-18, 11:26 PM
In Forgotten Realms, at least, earth genasi (or genasi in general) have no culture of their own. They are therefore named as is appropriate for their parents' culture. So, you should be looking for cultural names rather than racial names.

Amnestic
2011-04-18, 11:30 PM
Petra, Lurre, Graig, Krajiny, Bakken, Kivi, Akmens...

I used the ancient naming art of "putting words like Earth, Stone, Rock, Ground etc. into Google Translate and cycling through languages until something decent popped up."

According to a quick google, they often take "deep, guttural sounding names", if that helps any.

grimbold
2011-04-19, 02:51 PM
Thogorrond
i dont know
it felt right

Morph Bark
2011-04-19, 02:54 PM
Deep? Gutteral? Get something with rolling Rs and accented vowels as in Scandinavian or Germanic languages.

JonRG
2011-04-19, 02:54 PM
Thogorrond
i dont know
it felt right

:thog: agh thog hurt!

Serious note: Male or female? Might help make sure the suggestions you get somewhat fit the character.

Vladislav
2011-04-19, 03:08 PM
This thread has been alive for almost 4 hours and no one suggested Rocky yet? You should all be ashamed.

Morph Bark
2011-04-19, 03:13 PM
This thread has been alive for almost 4 hours and no one suggested Rocky yet? You should all be ashamed.

Brock is even better. Brock Geodude.

some guy
2011-04-19, 04:42 PM
Maybe names for minerals and crystals for females? Jade, Crystal, Agatha, Amber, Gem, Opal, Saphire, Ruby, Emerald.
Mind you, I think those names are terrible, but they have a connection of sorts to the element of earth.

In the same line; Jasper, Malachai (malachite), Alexander (alexandrite) for males.