PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Doomguard

Cerlis
2011-04-19, 12:15 AM
so we are talking about badass faerie in the roleplaying section and i'm thinking. What would be more awesome than a little fairy in a helm weilding a sword flying around at super speed sticking a dagger sized lance/greatsword through peoples heads?

I'd like for the character concept to use some of the main 3.5s. Mostly the various Completes and Races books as well as core. I was already looking and i remember that core pixies have a hi LA. I wonder if there is a more mundane version of a pixie. Or how hard it would be to make a balanced Diminutive character whos only LA was from the Winged Template(or close to that).

I saw the feats in races of the wild which would allow him to charge in and deal +3d6 dmg if he has at least 91 fly speed, then with the various Small Vs Big feats he would be able to stay in their square and pound on em, use em as cover and effective total conceilment (50% chance to hit the other person) when fighting anyone Medium or above (assuming i can get diminuative).

I realized that it will probably need a feat or two to increase manuverability or flight speed. The feet to give +2 AC if i move 40 feet might be a good idea, expessially since i think Skirmish would be a great idea. I forget, is there a fighter/scout feat that upgrades skirmish? I was thinking i'd rather get bonus feats than various nature stuff, but I was thinking after the initial charge or doing flybys with skirmish or staying in melee and using sneak attack. One would require mostly fighter with some scout, the other some fighter with mostly rogue. Since that tactical feat gives me cover while i'm in the enemy's square can i use that to hide? and sneak attack accordingly?

anyways i'm looking for flaws in my logic, help with the race, and any good ideas i missed that arent to obscure.

Gabe the Bard
2011-04-20, 01:20 AM
A pixie is actually Small size. You might be better off with a Grig or a Pseudodragon. Both are of them are Tiny and have +3 LA instead of +4. You only need to be Tiny in order to use Underfoot Combat against medium and larger opponents.

Also, any Small creature with a potion of reduce person can become Tiny. A gnome blade bravo with underfoot combat and potions of reduce person would have crazy AC bonuses against larger creatures. Realistically, it would be much easier to buy equipment for a Small character than a Tiny one in the average market.

bansidhe
2011-04-20, 07:18 AM
This helped me a lot,its an oldie but packed with ideas!

Always remember...Pixies Rule! :D

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871070/The_Pixie_Handbook

subject42
2011-04-20, 07:41 AM
I know that you said Core + Completes, but I have to take a moment to relate a stunt that the DM in one of my old games pulled on us.

Most ToB maneuvers are standard actions, and they generally add enough damage that weapon size and strength aren't big deals.

This fact turns into a problem when you're getting swarmed by a band of Invisible Pixies with flyby attack that are rocking out ~8d6 damage every round and the wizard forgot to pack see invisibility that day.

Gabe the Bard
2011-04-20, 09:39 AM
How about invisible ninja squirrels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060721a) with martial manuevers?

Re'ozul
2011-04-20, 10:02 AM
Well, if you want to stay fey you could use Petals (MMIII)

Though their strenght is even worse than Pixies (-8) but their other boni are a bit better and they actually get a +4 to con.
They only have +2 LA but lose all the other goodies of Pixies, no Invisibility, no SR, no SLAs, and only DR5/ci.

Zaq
2011-04-20, 07:43 PM
Aren't Petals "cohort only"? I mean, a GM who allows LA in the first place might relax that rule if you ask nicely, but . . .

Lateral
2011-04-20, 09:32 PM
Personally, I've always wanted to play a Grig with a major Titan bloodline and a lot of power attack. Speak softly...

Metahuman1
2011-04-24, 07:42 PM
Improve+Superior Unarmed Strike (Latter a Tome of Battle Feat.)+ the ability to either Cast Greater Might Wallop (Races of the Dragon.) or have an Allie of some kind do so for you at the start of the encounter. In addition to your Invisibility and sneak attack damage, your base unarmed damage is now that of a Colossal sized monk your level. Oh, and if you can get it worked around to reliably have Touch spells.

Hmm, either a Gestualt build or leadership feat to get a Wizard/Sorcerer too Buff you and too a lesser extent the rest of the party.

Not a Core+Complete Build, but I think it has merit.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-24, 07:55 PM
Personally, I've always wanted to play a Grig with a major Titan bloodline and a lot of power attack. Speak softly...

And still have a 0-ft reach somehow.:smallbiggrin:

Blackjackg
2011-04-24, 09:24 PM
The Aerial Avenger is a PrC from Dragon Magazine, reprinted in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. 10 levels, 3/4 BAB and among other flight-related goodies, it offers a two-step increase in manoeuverability and +20 flight speed (both by level 7). It's pretty easy to qualify for, too.

Lateral
2011-04-24, 09:30 PM
And still have a 0-ft reach somehow.:smallbiggrin:

Well, yes. Still awesome. Though I shudder to contemplate how high his strength would need to be to carry the thing.