PDA

View Full Version : By the lords of light!

Tetsubo 57
2011-04-19, 07:41 AM
If you were going to run a Thundarr the Barbarian game, *right* now, what system would you use? I've been pondering this for the past few days. And while I am a great fan (OK, I am obsessed) of the D20 system, I'm not sure it would work for me here. I am leaning towards the Deadlands: Reloaded, Savage Worlds setting. I think the Arcane Backgrounds would allow the right mix of tech and magic. You would have to create some mutation options and a Mutant Master style Arcane Background but I think it would be doable. Anyone have any other suggestions?

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-19, 08:02 AM
I don't know what Thundarr the Barbarian is like, but I would not use either of those two systems for anything at all.

I am partial to Strands of Fate at the moment, even though I don't even have the book. I would suggest that.

Tetsubo 57
2011-04-19, 08:05 AM
I don't know what Thundarr the Barbarian is like, but I would not use either of those two systems for anything at all.

I am partial to Strands of Fate at the moment, even though I don't even have the book. I would suggest that.

http://www.thundarr.com/

Tetsubo 57
2011-04-19, 08:09 AM

OK, that's a 471 page book. Which is just a bit more than I am willing to use for emulating a cartoon.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-19, 08:13 AM
OK, that's a 471 page book. Which is just a bit more than I am willing to use for emulating a cartoon.

Well, if you are that pressed for time, there is always Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm). But most systems I think are good are quite long and detailed.

((Though Spirit of the Century is only 405 pages long. What did they fit into Strands of Fate that it has so many pages?))

manyslayer
2011-04-19, 11:06 AM
I think Savage Worlds in general would work well (actually more so than the Deadlands:Reloaded). SW has a very pulp feel to it and allows PCs to try heroic stunts. Seems like it might work well for a Saturday morning cartoon emulation. Note, though, that the super powers are often considered poorly done, as far as emulating the super power genre. But if you don't mind the mutant masters only being able to use their powers a set number of times (think power points) then it might work. Otherwise, the Necessary Evil campaign setting is generally considered to have handled super powers well for SW (I have only skimmed parts of it, never actually played in NE).

Mechalus
2011-04-20, 11:12 AM
((Though Spirit of the Century is only 405 pages long. What did they fit into Strands of Fate that it has so many pages?))

Strands of Fate provides a system of Powers that can be used to model just about any sort of system of magic, psionics, cybernetics, mutant powers, etc that you can imagine.

It also includes rules for skirmish scale conflict, vehicles, organizations, detailed antagonists, and a lot of other stuff that you may or may not need for your campaign.

You can find a detailed comparison to SotC here (http://www.voidstar.me/strands-of-fate/).

alchemyprime
2011-04-20, 11:28 AM
I always found the new Gamma World to feel very Thundarr-ish. Or use D&D, and refluff some of the stuff.

Demon Dogs!

Sebastrd
2011-04-20, 04:19 PM
I watch the show a lot with my kids. I don't have experience with a whole lot of systems, but I'd go with WoD and Mage. The only difficult part of Thundarr to emulate is the crazy magic, and I think a pretty open system like Mage would fit nicely.