PDA

View Full Version : Default rule on size?

Donutfiend84
2011-04-19, 10:50 AM
So I stumbled on a spell called Launch Bolt, level 0, that fires a crossbow bolt, as though it was launched from a light crossbow. Since you have to provide the actual bolt, the spell doesn't clarify what size it can/can't be. So Assuming the character, is carrying huge or gigantic size bolts (nearly as long as spears) would he be able to fire them?

If it does, it means a level 1 Transmuter Focus Caster, can launch 2 4d6 balista shots as a level 0 spell 0.o

Is this valid? Or did I miss a rule somewhere?

Strife Warzeal
2011-04-19, 10:54 AM
I would say "as though fired from a light crossbow" would mean it shoots light crossbow bolts like a light crossbow and does light crossbow damage.

Greenish
2011-04-19, 10:56 AM
Larger bolts would cost more, the spell specifies the cost of the bolt launched.

Also by RAW the spell does nothing except destroy the bolt.

Donutfiend84
2011-04-19, 11:20 AM
Good point. Ah well, I'll look into the living balista character some other day.

Greenish
2011-04-19, 11:27 AM
Good point. Ah well, I'll look into the living balista character some other day.It's a concept that intrigues many, and the closer reading of the spell's description has crushed many dreams.

For a living (or undead) ballista, CW has Master of the Unseen Hand, which could combo well with something that gains Telekinesis as an at-will SLA, for example a ghost.