PDA

View Full Version : Ranged attacks as Melee Weapons?

Arvo
2011-04-19, 11:14 AM
So I'll start with the simple question, then throw out the background:

Can I use a ranged weapon in melee, without provoking an Attack of Opportunity?

The background:
I'm playing a odd sort of Necromantic Psion(Heavily influence by the 3rd party Dark Psionics book), with a level dip in Anarchic Initiate and two levels in a custom prestige class, Crystal Medium. Essentially the flavor of the character is he binds pieces of souls to skeletons via psicrystals, and at this point in his progression my DM has allowed me to give my main skeleton/psicrystal class levels, as per the Undead Leadership feat.

Since my psicrystal's been walking around in the eyesocket of a Spellweaver skeleton, I was thinking Soulbow and all that sort of 6 mindarrows cheese. But on the other hand, I really like the melee flavor.

So to summarize/reiterate, is there a way I can use Mind Arrows in melee without provoking AoOs?

Cog
2011-04-19, 02:17 PM
Mind Arrows are arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#arrows), so yes. They count as an improvised weapon when used in melee.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-19, 02:27 PM
IIRC by RAW you don't provoke any kind of AoO when using the full attack action, so you don't provoke when doing a ranged full attack. :shifty eyes:

DeltaEmil
2011-04-19, 02:31 PM
You don't provoke AoO for the full attack action itself. :smallcool:

But you still provoke AoO for making a ranged attack. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-04-19, 02:34 PM
So to summarize/reiterate, is there a way I can use Mind Arrows in melee without provoking AoOs?Yes. Take the fourth level of Soulbow.

[Edit]: Or ask for Arrowmind, Psionic.

Telonius
2011-04-19, 02:51 PM
Let's see, there's the "No Threat to Me" feat from a Dragon issue that (I believe) lets you make a ranged attack against favored enemies, with no AoO. But you'd need to spend a feat and a Ranger level on that, so probably not so helpful.

Cerlis
2011-04-19, 03:16 PM
i thought races of wild already had a simple feat that allows you to avoid attack of opportunities with ranged attacks

There is also 4th level of soulbow. some level of order of bow initiate.

Soulknife can use his blade in melee already and it looks the same *shrug*

or you could just reflavor a spell or something.

Cog
2011-04-19, 03:21 PM
Soulknife can use his blade in melee already and it looks the same *shrug*
You can't also use a bow for more +enhancement equivalents in that case, and the arrows get that +Wis to damage.