PDA

View Full Version : Item Sizes?

Gamer Girl
2011-04-19, 12:01 PM
Where in D&D to they list Item Sizes? All we can find are creature sizes. What size category is a silver coin? How about a shield? Is this information hidden somewhere in the books? Or does someone have a homebrewed chart?

byaku rai
2011-04-19, 12:04 PM
Well, an item equippable by a creature is generally within one size category of the creature. For example, a Greatsword for a Medium creature is a Large weapon, while a dagger for the same is a Small weapon. Armor and shields are the same size category. Coins for Medium beings would probably be Diminutive or Fine.

... Out of curiosity, why do you ask? :smallconfused:

Greenish
2011-04-19, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty sure they use the same size categories (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) as creatures, so using the weights as listed should work for most stuff not made from very dense material.

A heavy wooden shield is 10 lb, for example, and thus Small, if only just.

Gamer Girl
2011-04-19, 12:20 PM
Well, an item equippable by a creature is generally within one size category of the creature. For example, a Greatsword for a Medium creature is a Large weapon, while a dagger for the same is a Small weapon. Armor and shields are the same size category. Coins for Medium beings would probably be Diminutive or Fine.

For spellcrafting. We are making powerful, but balanced spells. So if we want a spell to effect 'one bucket or similar sized container' or such. If we say a 'small sided object', then the spell can effect a bucket the size of a halfling? Is a shovel a medium sized object? Is a flag pole a large sized object? Is a key fine? How to you keep a target 'a key of fine size but not more then two inches' in less words? If you just say fine key, that is up to six inches!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-19, 12:49 PM

I think those are 3.0 rules...

According to the SRD

A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.

Edit: This is for weapons.. but I think you can use it as a baseline for all kind of items.

Doc Roc
2011-04-19, 12:58 PM
For spellcrafting. We are making powerful, but balanced spells. So if we want a spell to effect 'one bucket or similar sized container' or such. If we say a 'small sided object', then the spell can effect a bucket the size of a halfling? Is a shovel a medium sized object? Is a flag pole a large sized object? Is a key fine? How to you keep a target 'a key of fine size but not more then two inches' in less words? If you just say fine key, that is up to six inches!

The moment I hear powerful but balanced spells, I want to crawl under my desk. Objects are in fact sized as per creatures. This means it may not be useful to you.

Greenish
2011-04-19, 01:24 PM
Edit: This is for weapons.. but I think you can use it as a baseline for all kind of items.So a dagger sized for a Large creature is a Large object, while a greatsword sized for Medium is Medium sized object. If something is the size of a Large dagger, how do you know that it's not the size of a Medium short sword or Small longsword? :smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2011-04-19, 01:53 PM
So a dagger sized for a Large creature is a Large object, while a greatsword sized for Medium is Medium sized object.
No, object sizes and object suitability based on the user's size are different things entirely. It's just that they're often expressed with the same language, since it's faster to say "Medium dagger" than "dagger sized for a Medium-size wielder".

Draz74
2011-04-19, 02:00 PM
Yeah. Usually when we say "Medium Dagger" we actually mean "Tiny Dagger." Because that's the kind of dagger a Medium creature uses.

In case "Level vs. Level" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html) wasn't confusing enough for you. :smallamused:

Gamer Girl
2011-04-19, 02:12 PM
The moment I hear powerful but balanced spells, I want to crawl under my desk.

Well, I'm a power gamer and love magic and the Forgotten Realms, so I like powerful, but balanced. I think a 0 level spell, Distengerate Object is just fine. I think a spellcaster should be able to distengreate a key without using at 6th level spell.

I make spells to be powerful, but not all powerful. I guess I just need to go with a long 'Target' line in the description or get into lawyer legalese.

Greenish
2011-04-19, 02:40 PM
No, object sizes and object suitability based on the user's size are different things entirely.That's what I was pointing out, since Dusk Eclipse suggested determining the size of the object as the size of it's user.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-19, 03:32 PM
That's what I was pointing out, since Dusk Eclipse suggested determining the size of the object as the size of it's user.

Actually I meant to say that you should use the same distinctions so a shovel fitted for a medium sized character would be a small sized object; but I see that I posted in a counter-intuitive manner.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-20, 11:00 AM
Well, I'm a power gamer and love magic and the Forgotten Realms, so I like powerful, but balanced. I think a 0 level spell, Distengerate Object is just fine. I think a spellcaster should be able to distengreate a key without using at 6th level spell.

I make spells to be powerful, but not all powerful. I guess I just need to go with a long 'Target' line in the description or get into lawyer legalese.

compared to other 0 level spells that is massively overpowered, I'd put it at least at level 1 where Shatter does roughly the same thing but slightly different.

On topic: In plainer English; a medium sized creature will be wielding a dagger which is a tiny object, a longsword which is a small object and a greatsword which is a medium object, all of these are weapons sized for a medium creature.

dextercorvia
2011-04-20, 11:13 AM
And, Shatter is a second level spell.

Nohwl
2011-04-20, 11:16 AM

what would prevent another caster from using the same spell to disintegrate the lock that the key was used for?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-20, 11:24 AM
And, Shatter is a second level spell.

Yes it is, I was thinking of warlocks getting it at first level :smallredface:

Gamer Girl
2011-04-20, 04:03 PM
compared to other 0 level spells that is massively overpowered, I'd put it at least at level 1 where Shatter does roughly the same thing but slightly different.

And this is where balance comes in. You want to spell to say 'Distengerates one object of very fine size' or 'up too one inch square'. That is why I wondered if there were universal item size categories.

I don't think it's too powerful for a spellcaster to distengerate a single key or gold coin with a cantrip.

Coidzor
2011-04-20, 04:10 PM
So a dagger sized for a Large creature is a Large object, while a greatsword sized for Medium is Medium sized object. If something is the size of a Large dagger, how do you know that it's not the size of a Medium short sword or Small longsword? :smallconfused:

No, yes, and you smack the person for not providing useful context.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-21, 04:45 AM
And this is where balance comes in. You want to spell to say 'Distengerates one object of very fine size' or 'up too one inch square'. That is why I wondered if there were universal item size categories.

I don't think it's too powerful for a spellcaster to distengerate a single key or gold coin with a cantrip.

in the name of balance I would consider it overpowered, compared to other cantrips which do little to no damage, maybe if it had a range of touch, a casting time of one full round or more and a clause that it can only be used on unattended non-magical objects might it be suitable for a cantrip.

A fine sized object would be: 6 in. or less and weigh 1/8 lb. or less. That Limits it pretty well and rules out most objects from the mundane goods list that would be a problem is disintegrated.