PDA

View Full Version : help with a summoner/buffer

Nohwl
2011-04-19, 12:22 PM
i'm trying to build a character that's supposed to be a summoner and a party buffer, so i'm looking at malconvoker and war weaver. i've seen the handbooks for both classes, it just seems like no prestige class really sticks out at me as a good way to finish this character. the build so far is wizard 5/war weaver 5/malconvoker 5; it looked like there was a way to enter war weaver as a divine caster in the war weaver handbook, so changing it to be a cleric or something is an option too.

i'm also not sure what feats i want to take to finish up the charater. i need enlarge spell, spell focus conjuration, and augment summoning to qualify for the prestige classes, and i want summon elemental and invisible spell. i'm not sure what other feats i want.

any advice for finishing this character?

Lateral
2011-04-19, 12:32 PM
Finishing off Malconvoker and then taking one more Wizard level is perfectly viable.

Master_Rahl22
2011-04-19, 12:35 PM
You could throw in a level or 2 of Paragnostic Apostle from CChamp. The Knowledge is Power features Call of Worlds and Mortal Coil are worthwhile to summoners/buffers and all it takes is some skill ranks to qualify. If you can squeeze in some Cleric casting (either by entering Malconvoker from Cleric or Archivist or somehow adding Lesser Planar Ally to your spell list) then Thaumaturgist gives you Augment Summoning and a free Extend Spell for summons that stacks with the actual Extend Spell metamagic feat for 4x normal duration. Sacred Exorcist from CDiv is a nice way to get Turn Undead for fueling all sorts of fun things from DMM to Devotion feats.

Nohwl
2011-04-19, 02:51 PM
the big ability i wanted from malconvoker was fiendish legion, it looked like the abilities after that weren't as good. i guess i'm wondering if there's anything else i could take instead of finishing malconvoker, or that would work better.

i've been considering thaumaturgist, but the dm said he doesn't want me to have a cohort. i'm hesitant to take 4 levels in it. extending the summons seems more useful at low levels, and it seems like i'd be entering the class at level 7 or 8 at the earliest. by the time i'd get the free extend, the summons would already last for like 10 rounds, which is probably long enough for combats. besides, i'm pretty sure there's a domain that gives augment summoning, so i could just take a level of contemplative and pick that up. i've also considered sacred exorcist, but i'm not sure where to go after that. paragnostic apostle could work, but again, it looks like i'd only want a couple levels.