PDA

View Full Version : A class for Cohorts from the Leadership feat.

kayrisa
2011-04-19, 12:56 PM
Sorry for the typos and lack of flare. New to the forums, but willing to be flamed. :smallsmile: Yes it is an only 18 level class, as the Leadership feat has your Cohort at 2 levels below you.

COHORT

HD: d6

Level....BAB............F...R...W............Speci al................................................ ............------Spells per Day/Spells Known------
1st........+0....................+0..+0..+2....... ....Optimism +1, trap finding
2nd.......+1....................+0..+0..+3........ ...Improved Initiative, Bonus Feat
3rd........+2....................+1..+1..+3....... ....Look out 1/day, Trap sense +1
4th........+3....................+1..+1..+4....... ....Double-team (flanking)
5th........+3....................+1..+1..+4....... ....
6th........+4....................+2..+2..+5....... ....Look out 2/day , trap sense +2
7th........+5....................+2..+2..+5....... ....Bonus Feat .................................................. ....1st level of leader's casting class
8th........+6/+1...............+2..+2..+6....................... .................................................. ..........2nd level of leader's casting class
9th........+6/+1...............+3..+3..+6...........Look out 3/day, Trap sense +3
10th......+7/+2................+3.+3..+7...........Double-team (+1d6), Optimism +2.......................3rd level of leader's casting class
11th......+8/+3................+3..+3..+7..........Shield other (leader)
12th......+9/+4................+4..+4..+8..........Bonus Feat, Look out 4/day, Trap sense +4.........4th level of leader's casting class
13th......+9/+4................+4..+4..+8...................... .................................................. ..........5th level of leader's casting class
14th......+10/+5..............+4..+4..+9............
15th......+11/+6/+1.........+5..+5..+9...........Look out 5/day, Trap sense +5..........................6th level of leader's casting class
16th......+12/+7/+2.........+5..+5..+10.........Double-team (+2d6)
17th......+12/+7/+2.........+5..+5..+10.........Bonus Feat........... ...........................................7th level of leader's casting class
18th......+13/+8/+3.........+6..+6..+11.........Look Out 6/day, Optimism +3, Vengeful Spirit.....8th level of leader's casting class

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at first level): Appraise, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Jump, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Listen, Profession, Search, Spot, and Swim.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Cohorts are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, short sword, short bow, and the lance. Cohorts are proficient with light and medium armor, as well as shields (expect tower shields). Armor of any type will interfere with a Cohort's ability to cast arcane spells with somatic components derived from his ability to learn from his leader's spell casting class.
Spells: When a Cohort gains 7th level, the character gains new spells per day as if she had gain a level in the spell casting of her leaders spell casting class.
The leader's spell casting determines what type of spells, wither arcane or divine the chort casts. If the leader has more then one spell casting class, the cohort must decide to which spell casting class she learns from. For example, if the leader is a 9th level wizard, the cohort would gains spells per day as if he had taken as the 1st level wizard class. Also if the leader is a paladin or ranger, a cohort will not gain spells until 12th (4th level of leader's casting class) as that is when paladin and rangers gain their first ability to cast spells.
To learn or cast a spell, a cohort must have Intelligence (arcane)/Wisdom (divine) score of 10 + spell level (10 for 0-level spells, 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The difficulty class for a saving throw against a cohort's spell is 10 + spell level + the bard's Charisma modifier.
Otherwise than above, the cohort follows the rules of the leader's spell casting class the cohort picks, and does not gain any other benefit that class would have provided (turn/rebuke undead, metamagic, familiar and so on).
Optimism (Su): When the cohort is within 30 ft. of her leader, she receives a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls, as well as all saving throws. This bonus increases at +2 at 9th, and to +3
Trap finding(Ex): As rogue ability (PHB 3.5 pg50).
Trap Sense (Ex): As rogue ability (PHB 3.5 pg50).
Improved Initiative: At 2nd level cohorts gain the Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Bonus Feat: At 2nd, 7th, 12th, and 17th level, a cohort gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity she can choose from the follow list: Skill Focus (choose any cohort class skill), Toughness, Endurance, or Run.
Look Out [Ex: At 3rd level the cohort gains the ability to give warning to her leader of impending dangers. The cohort must be adjacent to her leader and not considered flat-footed to provide one of these abilities to her leader: Uncanny Dodge (if the leader already has uncanny dodge, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (PHB 3.5 pg 26), Evasion (PHB 3.5 pg41), and an ability to make a Reflex save (DC vs. attack role result of charger) to evade a charging foe. This ability is an immediate action, and the affect lasts until the end of the round.
Double-team (Ex): At 4th level the cohort is able to flank her leader's enemies from seemingly impossible angles. She can designate any adjacent square as the square from which flanking against her leader is determined (including the square she stands, as normal). She may designate the square at the beginning of her turn at any time during her turn. The designate square remains her effective square for flanking until she is no longer adjacent to it or until she chooses a different square (at the start of her one of her turns). The cohort can even choose to a square that is impassable or occupied.
At 10th level when a cohort is flanking with her leader, they both gain a bonus of +1d6 to damage rolls and +2d6 at 16th level.
Shield Other (Leader) (Su): At 11th level the cohort gains the ability (as standard action) to protect her leader by taking some of the damage with a supernaturally ability as like the spell shield other was targeting leader. She cohort must be adjacent to her leader, and can end the effect at any time.
Vengeful Spirit (Su): At 18th level the cohort gains the ability to let her recently dead leader's spirit possess her body for a brief period of time. The cohort must touch her leader's body within 1 round of the leader's death. Upon touching the leader's body, a miracle of sorts happens. The spirit of the recent dead leader possesses the cohort body. During this time, the cohort's body has the spell heal (caster level of 15th) bestowed on it, and the leader's spirit suffers no loss level and gains all prepared spells back. The leader's spirit then uses the physical attributes of the cohort (HP, Str, Dex, Con, Fort, Reflex, and so on), while using his own mental abilities (Int, Wis, Cha, Will, Spells, Spell DC's, and so on). The cohort losses all ability to control his body's action (ability to provide any assistance, such as Look Out) as he has freely given it to his leader to control. The leader can use any extraordinary ability or super natural ability it had in his previous body. This ability lasts as long as the total of the cohort's Con modifier and the leader's Cha modifier.

Thugorp
2011-04-19, 01:08 PM
Inside the spoiler is the template for 20lvl. base classes. All you have to do is copy and past it somewhere, fill in the blanks with the stuff from your class then re-copy it and re-past it over your o.p. and you will have a perfectly formated and readable class for us to cretique. :-) There are also places included for fluff of the veriouse sorts. )

Have fun with it! :elan:

Base Class Name

Put an image of your class here!

Put a quote by or about a member of your class here!

A general description of what your class is!

Adventures: Why your class might adventure.

Characteristics: What your class is capable of.

Alignment: What alignment or alignments your class may have and why.

Religion: What deities or ideals your class follows, if any, and why.

Background: How you become part of your class and why.

Races: What races most often have members of your class, as well as any races that cannot join, along with why.

Other Classes: How your class relates to other classes, positively or negatively, and why.

Role: What your class does in and for a party.

Adaptation: How a DM might change your class to fit into their campaign or unique world setting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
CLASS NAME's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: A brief description of what ability scores are important to your class.
Alignment: What alignments are available to your class are listed here. "Any" is a possibility.
Hit Die: dx
Starting Age: What age your class starts at level one as normally ("As barbarian," "As bard," and "As cleric" are the standard options, though feel free to put down the numbers, as well.).
Starting Gold: What amount of currency your class starts at level one with normally ("As barbarian," "As cleric," "As druid," "As fighter," "As monk," and "As sorcerer" are the standard options, though feel free to put down the numbers, as well.).

Class Skills
The CLASS NAME's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...

Skill Points at First Level: (x + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: x + Int modifier

CLASS NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

2nd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

3rd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

4th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

5th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

6th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

7th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

8th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

9th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

10th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

11th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

12th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

13th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

14th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

15th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

16th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

17th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

18th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

19th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

20th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the CLASS NAME.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: What weapons and armor your class is proficient in the use of!

All other class features go here (Use the format shown directly below if you don't know what to do.)!

CLASS FEATURE NAME (Ex, Su, Sp, Ps):

two other quick things, first... I am not sure you are allowed to have O.o.t.s. character(or art directly from the comic) as your avitar(it says something about that in the rules).

Second, this class should still probably have 20 levels, since characters can level past level 20 and in fact I would think that epic level characters are the most likely ones to take the leadership feat. :smallsmile:

... Oh and three: WELCOME TO THE BOARDS and CONGRATULATIONS on your first post!

kayrisa
2011-04-19, 01:39 PM
Two other quick things, first... I am not sure you are allowed to have O.o.t.s. character(or art directly from the comic) as your avitar(it says something about that in the rules).

Second, this class should still probably have 20 levels, since characters can level past level 20 and in fact I would think that epic level characters are the most likely ones to take the leadership feat. :smallsmile:

... Oh and three: WELCOME TO THE BOARDS and CONGRATULATIONS on your first post!

Thank you!

The avatar that I have is the one provided by drop down selections when you register. It was the roguegirl selection. I read the rules over again, and I see Richard provided some, which I used (Which oddly appears to be Haley. :smalleek: ). I hence forth changed it, not to stir the pot.

True on the epic level characters. But then again, I play in small groups of 2-3 adventurers. I thought of this class really for sidekicks, while reading comics of Batman the other say.

Thugorp
2011-04-19, 04:56 PM
If rich provided it, then never mind. sorry I thought you were using it as a custom one. feel free. :-)

Kamai
2011-04-19, 05:48 PM
Thoughts: I think this can be a very useful tool once put together right. First off, I would second the suggestion to get it to go to 20. Even if a 20th level character could at base get an 18th level cohort, there are feats and class abilities that bring it to at least level-1 (if not level).

Is the Double Team bonus precision-based damage? It seems like it might be, and it makes a big difference.

Lookout's save to evade a charging foe, what happens if the save is made? Also, at some point, that DC is going to be impossible except on a 20. I think it should be 12+charger's BAB.

The cohort has lance proficiency, but not ride as a class skill?

I also don't really like the spells class feature. Not because I disapprove of the cohort being a half-caster, but that the feature is mean to people who get cohorts without being a caster of some sort (Monk, Barbarian, Rogue, Fighter). I'm not really sure how to clean up the wording, but here's what I propose:

Class Knack (ex): At 7th level, the Cohort can choose one class feature from the base class of his leader that has the most levels (if there are multiple, he chooses one of them). Once this decision is made, he cannot change it. The level of Class Knack is the level he is treated as having in that class for having the chosen feature. He gains no other features from that class, and is not treated as a member of that class for any prerequisites, alternate class features, or alternate racial features.

The idea being he could have as many bonus feats as a fighter of that level, or sneak attack of a rogue that level, or spellcasting as a bard of that level, but nothing else. I also support the idea of putting the first level of casting/Class Knack at 5th, getting rid of a completely dead level, and allowing him to be a half-level caster (though maybe you intended for him not to get 5th level spells).