PDA

View Full Version : My Explanation of D&D

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-19, 02:36 PM
On my blog, I have a post that attempts to explain D&D to those who have never played it before.

It can be found here. (http://ultimatejosha.blogspot.com/2011/04/dungeons-dragons.html)

What do you think? I think it's a little boring and messy, and I'm looking for ways to clean it up and add a little spice.

grimbold
2011-04-19, 02:52 PM
overall it seems good, however you might want to add a bit about the dice, for me the dice are half the fun

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-19, 03:03 PM
overall it seems good, however you might want to add a bit about the dice, for me the dice are half the fun

I do mention dice somewhere in there, but I will consider putting more emphasis on it.

LansXero
2011-04-19, 03:12 PM
I do mention dice somewhere in there, but I will consider putting more emphasis on it.

JUst add "with funny shaped dice" at the end. That should do it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-19, 03:28 PM
JUst add "with funny shaped dice" at the end. That should do it.

I will do exactly that.

Greenish
2011-04-19, 03:47 PM
JUst add "with funny shaped dice" at the end. That should do it.What, and miss out the opportunity to say "icosahedron", "dodecahedron", "octohedron", "hexahedron" and "tetrahedron"? :smallamused:

Samurai Jill
2011-04-19, 03:53 PM
I will do exactly that.
You might be better off explaining why the dice are needed, or for that matter, rules at all.
(That is, unlike Cops and Robbers, if player A says "Bang! You're dead!", then their opponent has recourse to some formal procedure for contradicting that statement. Unless the player is the GM, in which case they invoke Rule Zero. *sighs*)

Mando Knight
2011-04-19, 04:32 PM
...I prefer Kill the monsters, take their stuff. (And stab your buddy.)

slaydemons
2011-04-19, 06:03 PM

+1 for take their stuff, +0 for killing monsters, and if my character is CE or CN +1,000,000,000 on the stab your buddy. why because its more fun to take their stuff without killing them and leaving your friends to clean up the mess

Lord Vampyre
2011-04-20, 07:07 PM

Just play MageKnight: Dungeons, or Munchkin.

Pisha
2011-04-22, 05:30 PM
It's a decent explanation of what D&D is. What it's mostly lacking is why D&D is.

Most people, even those who've never played before, have at least heard of D&D and have a general idea of what it's about. What you need to communicate to them, though, is why people want to play. What do you find fun about the game? What keeps you coming back to the table every week? Focus a bit more on that instead of just defining what it is, and it'll read better.

Jamin
2011-04-22, 05:33 PM
I been a player and a DM
DMing is not the most fun

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-22, 06:16 PM
It's a decent explanation of what D&D is. What it's mostly lacking is why D&D is.

Most people, even those who've never played before, have at least heard of D&D and have a general idea of what it's about. What you need to communicate to them, though, is why people want to play. What do you find fun about the game? What keeps you coming back to the table every week? Focus a bit more on that instead of just defining what it is, and it'll read better.
I will do that.

I been a player and a DM
DMing is not the most fun
What you just read is from my blog, the propose of which is to portray my opinions. And it is my opinion that DMing is the most fun.

Jamin
2011-04-22, 07:20 PM
I was mostly just kidding