PDA

View Full Version : I just got into UWC!

Demon 997
2011-04-19, 03:45 PM
I just got accepted to United World College, a two year international program! They take 50 kids from the US a year, and its a full ride scholarship. I'm going to the campus in Wales, which is in a CASTLE! I'm so excited its kind of scary. I want to go skydiving or wrestle a bear or something. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:

Kuma Da
2011-04-19, 03:48 PM
Dude...did you just get accepted to Hogwarts?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-19, 03:48 PM
I just got accepted to United World College, a two year international program! I'm going to the campus in Wales, which is in a CASTLE! I'm so excited its kind of scary. I want to go skydiving or wrestle a bear or something. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:

Oh, don't know you, but big congrats! My mom's a College prof, and she has a few students who've done this (and seemed to have enjoyed it a lot). Good luck!

Demon 997
2011-04-19, 03:50 PM

Pretty much. It was my first choice for campuses too. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, don't know you, but big congrats! My mom's a College prof, and she has a few students who've done this (and seemed to have enjoyed it a lot). Good luck!

Thanks. It seems like an amazing program. Three people from my tiny school have gone already, and they love it.

Flickerdart
2011-04-19, 03:51 PM
Better brush up on your Welsh. :smalltongue:

Demon 997
2011-04-19, 04:00 PM
Better brush up on your Welsh. :smalltongue:

Teaching language is english, but it would help with the pretty Welsh girls.

KuReshtin
2011-04-19, 04:16 PM
Teaching language is english, but it would help with the pretty Welsh girls.

Not sure how much it'd help, to be honest. Only about 20% of people in Wales can speak Welsh.

Congrats on getting accepted.

This obviously means you'll be hounded by me and the other UKitPers to attend one of the meetups. Just so you know. :smallwink:

Demon 997
2011-04-19, 06:16 PM
Not sure how much it'd help, to be honest. Only about 20% of people in Wales can speak Welsh.

Congrats on getting accepted.

This obviously means you'll be hounded by me and the other UKitPers to attend one of the meetups. Just so you know. :smallwink:

Pity that. Or amazing, because I don't need to learn.

That sounds fine with me, I'm planning to travel in the UK on the various breaks. I'd love to attend a meet up or crash on someone floor.

Demon 997
2011-04-19, 06:22 PM
Whoops, accidental double post. Delete or ignore.

Dihan
2011-04-19, 06:29 PM
Where in Wales? We have quite a lot of castles :smalltongue: Then again, if it's south Wales then you may as well go to England. :smallwink:

Demon 997
2011-04-19, 06:39 PM
Its in St. Donats Castle outside the tiny town of Llantwit Major. About an hour by train out of Cardiff.

Anxe
2011-04-19, 06:48 PM

My reaction too.

Moff Chumley
2011-04-19, 07:06 PM
I'd love to go to college in the UK. Pity I have neither the grades nor the money...

Lady Moreta
2011-04-19, 08:00 PM
Congratulations! That sounds fantastic and exciting :smallbiggrin:

Perenelle
2011-04-19, 08:00 PM
That's awesome, congrats! :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2011-04-20, 05:02 AM
Pity that. Or amazing, because I don't need to learn.

That sounds fine with me, I'm planning to travel in the UK on the various breaks. I'd love to attend a meet up or crash on someone floor.

Well... if you're going to be around these parts on the 9th July... :smallamused:

If not, we'll just hound you to come to the Christmas one. :smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2011-04-20, 05:35 AM
That sounds AWESOME! Wish I got to go to school in a castle! Congratulations mate! :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2011-04-20, 07:02 AM
I studied at a University in England. There was no Castle. I feel cheated !

Have fun mate

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-20, 07:36 AM
As a running joke amongst my friends at University goes, I went to school... IN A CASTLE. Unfortunately University has not vouchsafed me such luxury. Excellent of you to join us on this sceptred isle!

Demon 997
2011-04-20, 04:51 PM
Well... if you're going to be around these parts on the 9th July... :smallamused:

If not, we'll just hound you to come to the Christmas one. :smallbiggrin:

I head over there around the 3rd week of august, so no such luck. When exactly is the Christmas one? If its not too close I might not have gone home yet.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Is it weird that one of things I'm most excited about is access to the couchsurfing network?

Volthawk
2011-04-20, 08:04 PM
I want to go skydiving or wrestle a bear or something. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:

...dude. We don't have bears here in the UK (our brown bears all died).

Felixaar
2011-04-20, 09:21 PM
Oh, wow. There is absolutely nothing that seems cooler than that. Enjoy!

factotum
2011-04-21, 01:22 AM
Unfortunately University has not vouchsafed me such luxury.

Should have gone to Durham University--one of the colleges there is based in the castle! :smallwink:

Congrats, Demon 997--not heard of this UWC thing before, but looking at that Welsh castle it seems all sorts of awesome to me!

Castaras
2011-04-21, 02:58 AM
I head over there around the 3rd week of august, so no such luck. When exactly is the Christmas one? If its not too close I might not have gone home yet.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Is it weird that one of things I'm most excited about is access to the couchsurfing network?

That is something to be decided after the summer one in July has occurred.... :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-04-21, 10:33 AM
...dude. We don't have bears here in the UK (our brown bears all died).

Hunted to extinction more like it.

OP, if you come to Sweden instead we have bears.

Anxe
2011-04-21, 01:00 PM
I wonder what bear meat tastes like. Do they teach you that in your Castle College?

Demon 997
2011-04-21, 02:50 PM
I wonder what bear meat tastes like. Do they teach you that in your Castle College?

I certainly hope so.

I'll be sure to be involved for the plotting of the winter meet up, lobbying for sometime I can make it.

What kind of stuff should I bother bringing with me, and what should I buy there? I'll be in a room shared with 3 other students. I'm not sure exact size or how furnished.

factotum
2011-04-21, 04:25 PM
What kind of stuff should I bother bringing with me, and what should I buy there? I'll be in a room shared with 3 other students. I'm not sure exact size or how furnished.

You probably ought to be asking the college that, not us--it'll depend entirely on what they provide for their students!

Demon 997
2011-04-21, 10:56 PM
You probably ought to be asking the college that, not us--it'll depend entirely on what they provide for their students!

Well yeah, I was just curious what those of you who'd gone of to college/boarding school thought was important to bring?

UKers, anything I should get there because its cheaper/better, or anything I should get in the states because you can't across the pond?

factotum
2011-04-22, 01:35 AM
Well yeah, I was just curious what those of you who'd gone of to college/boarding school thought was important to bring?

Clothes. Clothes are always good. *nods* :smallwink:

The main thing I can think of: if you're intending to bring anything electrical with you (such as a computer) you need to be sure it'll run off 240V before bothering, plus we use different power sockets so you'll possibly need an adapter.

rakkoon
2011-04-22, 01:43 AM
When I crossed the channel to study in the UK I found everything I needed in Tesco's.

Different sockets yup.
Everything is slightly more expensive except tomatoes and beer for some reason...(even though the average salary is lower than on the continent)
Watch out for the cinemas because they often have very small screens. I saw Star Wars on it and that was just plain weird.
Take the local beers, they are much cheaper
Look for the cheapest hairdresser around, I had one for £5 I believe

All I can think of at the moment

Demon 997
2011-04-22, 11:54 PM
I was just looking on the site, and theres a bar on campus. Whats legal drinking age in Wales?

factotum
2011-04-23, 01:36 AM
Same as the rest of the UK--you have to be 18 to purchase alcohol, you can drink it in public with a meal at 16 (provided you're accompanied by an adult), and in private you're OK from 5 upwards (but somebody else has to buy it for you, see first rule).

Mercenary Pen
2011-04-23, 05:38 AM
Same as the rest of the UK--you have to be 18 to purchase alcohol, you can drink it in public with a meal at 16 (provided you're accompanied by an adult), and in private you're OK from 5 upwards (but somebody else has to buy it for you, see first rule).

Also, depending on the establishment, they may ask for ID if they believe you look under 21 or under 25 depending on the policy they adhere to.

Asta Kask
2011-04-23, 07:45 AM

I've had it. It was too dry for my taste, although I've only tasted it once. I might have gotten a dry piece.

KuReshtin
2011-04-23, 08:20 AM
I've had it. It was too dry for my taste, although I've only tasted it once. I might have gotten a dry piece.

This is true. Bear meat is very dry. Needs a good sauce to accompany it. Like a good mushroom sauce, preferably made with chanterelles. And a nice potato gratin to go with it as well.

I think that's what I would use.

Demon 997
2011-04-23, 03:46 PM
This is true. Bear meat is very dry. Needs a good sauce to accompany it. Like a good mushroom sauce, preferably made with chanterelles. And a nice potato gratin to go with it as well.

I think that's what I would use.

I'll remember that if I ever eat a bear.

Turns out there just used to be a bar on campus. Its no real concern to me, I hate the taste of alcohol.

Thes Hunter
2011-04-25, 07:20 PM
Congrats man, sounds wicked sweet.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-25, 10:03 PM
Turns out there just used to be a bar on campus.

Thar used ter be a b'ar on campus, but ye etted it, eh?

Demon 997
2011-04-26, 12:40 AM
I can't find any reference to Harry Potter being filmed there, through I could have sworn I heard about it somewhere. On the other hand the Doctor Who episode Vampires of Venice was, which is cooler in my opinion.

I mailed back my acceptance today, theres no going back now. :smallbiggrin: