PDA

View Full Version : (3.Pathfinder) Building the Most Survivable Rogue Possible

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-19, 06:53 PM
I might be in love with the rogue as a class. Obviously not for its power, but for its versatility in skill points, rogue talents, and combat ability.

In my experience, there are two kinds of rogues: the ones that try to dish out as much damage as possible (generally with DEX based TWF or STR based Power Attack), and the ones that are versatile skill monkeys; these generally max out UMD.

I believe I may be on a never ending quest to make the most survivable rogue possible. A rogue that, no matter the opposition, manages to survive, somehow, one way or another... With or without his party.

How would you build such a rogue? I have access to any and all books, so go wild. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. thanks in advance!

Particle_Man
2011-04-19, 08:58 PM
If you are allowed Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide:

1) Take the Militia (veteran) trait and pick the Survival skill.
2) For human rogues, take the Heart of the Wilderness alternate racial trait.

Congrats, you are now the best at survival. :)

Lateral
2011-04-19, 08:59 PM
Survivability rogue?

Honestly, that's kind of the Factotum's schtick, but if you want to do it with a Rogue, I suggest getting some sort of Fortitude and Will boosts. Perhaps a Feat Rogue build instead of a Sneak Attack rogue- perhaps with two levels of Fighter for saves, BAB and feats. Pick the right feats, the right items, max out UMD, and have a good Constitution and Wisdom score, and you might do well.

Paul H
2011-04-19, 08:59 PM
Hi

There is always the Halfling Rogue 1/Magus xxxx

Feats: Wpn Finesse, Dervish Dance (Sarenrae follower, proficient with Scimitar, 2 ranks Perform (Dance),

Access to spells like Shield, etc. for AC. Cat's Grace etc for AC/attack & wpn damage. Magus's abilities allow you to power up yur weapon, though they don't have good spell points.

Downside is Magii have cleric HP/BAB, and slow spell progression (like Bard).

Or - Rogue 1/Witch x x x
Use the Witch abilities & spells to keep alive longer

Thanks
Paul H
PS My Rogue/Magus in PFS campaign will be (at 3rd lvl)
Attack Scimitar: +9 (Wpn Finesse, Heirloom Wpn, Scimitar +1, arcane Pool)
Dam Scimitar: D4 +6 (Dex, Scimitar +1, Arcane Pool) + Sneak Attack (D6)

Safety Sword
2011-04-20, 01:10 AM
Best way to survive is not to get hit. How about a ranged rogue?

cooperflood
2011-04-20, 06:04 PM
First off I can't see a rogue as a super survivable character, but here is my advice.

Race:
Whisper Gnome: Bonus to CON/DEX, Small, 30ft Move, Good Skill Bonuses

Feats:
If available I would set myself up to take Elusive Target at level 9.
Darkstalker

Talents:
Trap Spotter
Fast Getaway
Offensive Defense

UMD!!
Max it out and acquire Wands/Scrolls/Staffs that have spells that give miss chances. Fog Cloud, Blur, Invisibility, Mirror Image, ect.

Multi-classing
A single level of Cleric can net some huge bonuses:
Protection or Law Devotion: scaling bonus to AC for one minute
Travel Devotion: Move as a swift action for one minute
Magic Domain: No UMD check for Wands ever!

Alternatives
Play a Beguiler: This seems like the perfect solution. Beguilers have all the skills of a Rogue, plus they have kick as spells that allow them to escape from any situation. Minor Image can solve almost any problem in the hands of a good player. Add on a few fogs, Invisibility, Charm, and GLIBNESS equals kick-ass. I actually find that my party is a liability sometimes because they always want to smash faces, when I could just slip past the BBEG and take his stuff. The only thing a rogue has that I don't is Sneak Attack, to that I say who cares.

Play a Cloistered Cleric with Trickery Domain
Play a Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer X

Lateral
2011-04-20, 07:56 PM
Remember, rogues got some real love in PF. They're far better at... pretty much anything than they are in 3.5.