PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a necromancer build

Natael
2011-04-19, 08:58 PM
I've got a mid level 3.5 game I'm going to be playing in soon, and want to play an undead necromancer.

Approved non-core:
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium
Corpsecrafter feats from Libris Mortis
Will need to ask about other things if need be (though definitely avoiding DMM cheese)

Here's what we have:
-10th level (though I'm going to be level 9 when we start due to taking necropolitan template unless there is a better way to be undead without LA).
-45,000 GP (no one item more than 10k).
-I want a couple of brute body guards (as an army often gives me too many turns and annoyes others).
-I can take one flaw
-Spellstiched is allowed
-Ability to raid graveyards for dead things pregame

Plans:
Take either Cleric or Dread Necromancer, depending on which will benefit me more on having just a couple of really beefy. Likely human as race for the feat, unless there is something else real good.

Help I'd like:
-Choosing between dread necro or cleric (unless wizard would be that much better because of spellstitched).
-A few feat recommendations
-Some suggestions on what undead to control/animate/create and what means I should use at the beginning (otherwise was thinking of snagging some giant skeletons or something like that).
-Domains that help clerics or maybe some items that would help
-Potential PrCs

Thanks to anyone that helps me out.

gorfnab
2011-04-19, 09:05 PM
Well for starters I recommend reading through K's Revised Necromancer Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5584.0).

Daftendirekt
2011-04-20, 01:31 AM
I must point out that Necropolitan has no level adjustment, it just makes you lose a level. So, work it into your character's backstory and hey, presto! You can still make your guy level 10.

Coidzor
2011-04-20, 02:59 AM
Bone Knight from Eberron and the Deathbound domain are both two non-core things to look into, but that handbook should paint a pretty good picture...

edit: Bone Knight is one of the handful of recommended PrCs for clerics that want to mix it up in melee without being entirely dependent upon DMM persist and also gives some undead leadership synergy.

Getting a bardic cohort with the requiem feat and dragonfire inspiration is generally a solid option for a force multiplier for your undead.

You'll probably want to look up the rules for making dragon undead in draconomicon. As well as see what sort of availability of downtime/ability to go out in search of a creature or two that you want to add to your forces your DM will allow and how he'd be implementing it if he does allow it.

edit2:
-A few feat recommendations

Leadership/Undead Leadership for a bardic buffer for your party and your undead, mostly. Requiem so that the bardic music will have an effect on your undead.

Beyond that.... none I can really think of offhand beyond Corpsecrafter.

-Some suggestions on what undead to control/animate/create and what means I should use at the beginning (otherwise was thinking of snagging some giant skeletons or something like that).

Well, that pretty much entirely depends on what you can actually get from graveyards. If this is extended to things you'd have reasonably encountered along the way to getting to level 9 or 10, then things like zombie hydras and maybe some utility burrowers/flyers seem like the best bet in general terms. Giant Skellies are pretty good as well.

-Domains that help clerics or maybe some items that would help

Items: Well, there's the Azun-Gund or Nightcaller Whistle that appears in, I believe, both the Sunless Citadel adventure and Libris Mortis. It's relatively cheap and will allow every user to raise an infinite number of zombies that don't apply to the animate dead control pool with 2 under control at any one time, so the entire party could each have 2 zombies and it eventually pays for itself from the black onyx saved alone in addition to being something that doesn't apply to the animate dead HD-control pool and being a single item that can be shared by the entire party.

There's some items that will help make it so that rebuking is relevant for a little while, at least enough to snag things you might actually encounter as well as the occasional brain in the jar which can grab more stuff for you. Wish I could remember the thread that we listed 'em off on... I know DMG and Libris Mortis have a few, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7848943&postcount=23) like a necklace, a rod, and a musical instrument (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7847733&postcount=20)(that bard cohort being useful here) that give something along the lines of -3 or -4 to turn resistance (which will apply against the creature's HD if turn resistance would be brought below 0) and all stack, as well as certain items that grant an effective increase in level for the purposes of turning will also apply to rebuking. Really investing into this probably isn't the best idea, but snagging something to make rebuke a bit more relevant is always nice. Some of 'em you'll need to double check (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7851952&postcount=40) to see if it's turning only or if it'd also apply to rebuking though... I can't recall what kind of language indicates both or just the one though.

And it's not an item, but a Slay-Mate is very nice to have around...

A ring of desecrate (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x) is useful is you go the Dread Necromancer route.

Domains: As far as I know, just the Deathbound Domain for giving you that nifty spike in animated undead when combined with desecrate, but I'm probably forgetting something. I think Evil Domain gives a +1 CL bonus that would apply to the HD of undead that Animate Dead can animate... :/ There's probably a couple of domains with spells that'd be of interest though. Maybe the Undeath Domain has some gems.

-Potential PrCs

Bone Knight, Ruby Knight Vindicator... Not a whole lot I can think of offhand.

Natael
2011-04-20, 04:57 PM
Decided to go with dread necromancer. K's guide says to PrC after level 8, but I don't know what would be available to progress my rebuke, and allows arcane spell progression

Keld Denar
2011-04-20, 05:03 PM
Zombie Hydra for your big beater. Hydras can attack with all heads as a standard action, which overcomes the normal zombie issue of one attack/round. It'll have a ton of HP and will be big enough for you to ride. It won't have the fast healing that a Hydra noramlly has, but you can always poke it with your Charnal Touch to juice it back up.

Coidzor
2011-04-20, 05:40 PM
Oh, and if you can get it allowed, get black sand from Sandstorm and use it as a way of healing your undead but also executing dying but not dead foes so that they become more black sand.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-20, 05:58 PM
Also use major creation: Black Sand in space to create meteors of it to destroy the world. What?

Coidzor
2011-04-20, 06:24 PM
Also use major creation: Black Sand in space to create meteors of it to destroy the world. What?

...Those are nowhere near the same thing and your insinuations are frankly bizarre, sir.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-20, 07:15 PM
Get Awaken Undead. Get a Cave Troll Skeleton and an Arrow Demon Skeleton. That Hydra Zombie suggestion would regain its fast healing if Awakened.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-20, 07:45 PM
...Those are nowhere near the same thing and your insinuations are frankly bizarre, sir.

Insinuations? I was just saying it was possible. Your interpretations are the bizarre ones sir. If I was going to point out something in your comment I would have at least quoted it.

Though I could see how it could be interpreted as insulting, and as such I apologize. It was not meant to be.

JaronK
2011-04-20, 09:24 PM
Dread Necromancer is probably more fun to play, while Cleric is more powerful. Of course, spell stitching yourself (with spells that would otherwise cost a lot like Animate Dead, Awaken Undead, and Animate Dread Warrior) gives you plenty of power regardless, and does require being arcane (or at least having the help of an arcane caster).

JaronK

Natael
2011-04-20, 09:27 PM
Dread Necromancer is probably more fun to play, while Cleric is more powerful. Of course, spell stitching yourself (with spells that would otherwise cost a lot like Animate Dead, Awaken Undead, and Animate Dread Warrior) gives you plenty of power regardless, and does require being arcane (or at least having the help of an arcane caster).

JaronK

Definitely going dread necro, going to have to start as level 8 due to necropolitan and spell stitching. Going to have to choose what spells to slap onto the stitching (have the wis to get level 4 spells). Trying to choose feats and skeletons right now (leaning toward undead leadership and corpsecrafter (especially if I can apply them to my necropolitan template) and some medium/large size but strong skeletons and probably a couple of solid intelligent undead for rebuking).