PDA

View Full Version : Psion, Druid or Beguiler?

Elyk
2011-04-19, 10:01 PM
My DM will be starting a new campaign soon (starting at 7th level but I want to still plan ahead) in which magic and spellcasting is illegal, and I cannot decide on which class to play. The other players include:
-a cleric of Anubis/Knight of the Raven
-a paladin or knight
-a cleric Radiant Servant of Pelor
-a sorcerer or a rogue (possibly an assassin)
-and a wizard

As the title states I'm thinking either a druid, psion (with telepathy and mindlink) or beguiler.The DM is a real hardball when it comes to roleplaying and likes to throw out plenty of moral dilemmas for divine characters but balances it out by making divine casters spontaneously cast spells like sorcerers (yeah crazy but we haven't had any problems with it). All books allowed but obviously broken or cheesy stuff will be nerfed. I was just wondering what others think as I don't want to be completely overshadowed by the other players, or useless in many situations (like beguiler and we end up fighting a lot of undead, which with the amount of divine characters in the group is highly possible).

On the other hand both beguiler and psion would be very useful because they can cast much easier without being noticed. (without things such as spell components, silent/still spell, no spellbook, etc.) Also, I am not sure yet as to the rarity of magic items but without legal spellcasting they might be hard to come by.

Lateral
2011-04-19, 10:04 PM
Honestly, in that party, Beguiler could easily be overshadowed. Psion and Druid are both good choices; I personally am a fan of both, but Druids are the more powerful of the two by far.

Particle_Man
2011-04-19, 10:07 PM
Druid with wild shape and Natural Spell can probably cast fairly easily without being noticed.

Geigan
2011-04-19, 10:10 PM
Beguiler would be fun for keeping your party's shenanigans on the down low with mind altering tricks. Psion would do that job better with more versatility though. Druid would be funny just to see the look on NPCs faces when the animal starts casting. "Excuse me sir, but your argument is invalid. As I am an animal, therefore your laws do not apply to me." "Crap, do we have laws for spell casting bears?" "I don't know but I'd rather not argue with the one who I know can maul me and I suspect could turn me into a frog." Well I think we have a moral obligation to uphold the-*maul* Aagghgrhgjhka*rip*

Akal Saris
2011-04-19, 10:18 PM
A spontaneous-casting druid with natural spell and invisible spell (cityscape) sounds like a pretty strong option for this game. There's very few situations where a druid will not be useful, after all.

Elyk
2011-04-19, 10:26 PM
I actually just saw invisible spell and thought of that. Well what race should I pick for druid? anthropomorphic animals are probably out of the question because the DM would find a way to ruin me after that but what about Killoren, or lesser assimar? Are these other two options decent or worse compared to human?

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-19, 10:44 PM
My vote's on Psion. Telepathy discipline sounds right up your alley for the archetype that you're thinking of. And if it doesn't quite fit, there's always Expanded Knowledge.

And Psions don't need a feat to make their "casting" invisible - merely succeed on a skill check.

WinWin
2011-04-19, 11:39 PM
The druid has skills that can help the party get by in the wild. They can also make for decent scouts, which it appears you group is lacking.

MammonAzrael
2011-04-20, 12:12 AM
I think the druid would be a very solid choice, able to fill many roles in the party. However, I'd go with the psion, given your DM's proclivities for messing with divine casters. Druids have plenty of nature-love that your DM could use in a number of ways, whereas there isn't much he can do your a psion.

Kylarra
2011-04-20, 12:14 AM
I vote for psion as well.

Flickerdart
2011-04-20, 12:43 AM
Yeah, Psion is your best bet. In a party with four full casters, a beguiler can't offer anything new, but psionics have a slew of effects unique to themselves. I would actually go Erudite instead (with the non-broken UPD interpretation), so that you can pick up as many of the psionics-only tricks as you can - it will be very tough not feeling like a one trick pony when compared to two Clerics that can cast any Cleric spell at the drop of a hat, and a Wizard who can scribe all the good spells.

Greenish
2011-04-20, 09:06 AM
what about Killoren, or lesser assimar? Are these other two options decent or worse compared to human?Killoren isn't as good as human, but then few races are. I personally like them, and it's certainly a good fit for a druid. Lesser aasimar are pretty decent.

But tell me, have you considered a kobold? Jungle kobold has neither wis nor con penalties, and dragonwrought can get you +3 to wis (and int/cha), but isn't that cheesy on it's own (just don't try to take epic feats). Besides, they're wicked.

FafnerMorell
2011-04-20, 09:26 AM
"Excuse me sir, but your argument is invalid. As I am an animal, therefore your laws do not apply to me." "Crap, do we have laws for spell casting bears?" "I don't know but I'd rather not argue with the one who I know can maul me and I suspect could turn me into a frog." Well I think we have a moral obligation to uphold the-*maul* Aagghgrhgjhka*rip*
I could see an entire campaign based around a spell-casting bear avoiding the law, ala the Fugitive (which might annoy the rest of the party).

I can see Tommy Lee Jones saying "According to this report, the bear was seen riding a bear and summoning bears and turning the town guards into rabbits".

Draz74
2011-04-20, 09:46 AM
The druid has skills that can help the party get by in the wild. They can also make for decent scouts, which it appears you group is lacking.

So can Psions, by utilizing a Psicrystal and the right utility powers. Admittedly Seers, not Telepaths, are the best at this.

Greenish
2011-04-20, 09:56 AM
So can Psions, by utilizing a Psicrystal and the right utility powers. Admittedly Seers, not Telepaths, are the best at this.Telepaths do gain access to Mindsight, though. The range is not huge, but it's handy nonetheless.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-20, 02:45 PM
You could also go with a Rogue/Human Paragon/Chameleon for the ability to swap your casting in and out and have mid level spells later on. Not on your list but it would let you do exactly what you need to do when you need to do it.